PDA

View Full Version : Is Layering different types of Condish OK???

feb26
December 2nd, 2012, 05:01 PM
I've put chestnut into my normally dark brown-almost black hair to cover the greys. As red fades fastst, to keep the color longer, I'm using Aveda's Madder Rose shampoo & conditioner set-this is a color depositing shampoo & conditioner. The conditioner is pricey -$38 for 8.5oz.
My hair falls between waist & tailbone length. Currently what I'm doing now is shampoo, put the Aveda condish on & then ON TOP of the Aveda condish I apply a good palm size gob of L'Oreal or Garnier safe-for-color treated conditioner. I then put the shower cap on all this & leave it to set for a good 10-15 minutes. (The longer the color depositing condish is on, the more intense color you get).

My only concern is, I'm not somehow fading out or watering down the effects of the color depositing condish by applying color safe condish on top, am I?? any info/feedback would be great, tx

spidermom
December 2nd, 2012, 05:03 PM
I do know that not all cosmetic ingredients are compatible, so you may be causing a bit of chemical warfare on your head.

MonaMayfair
December 3rd, 2012, 07:36 AM
I don't know about the safety thing, but I do think you would be watering down the effects of the Aveda conditioner (I've used these myself (Chamomlie, Blue Malva, Clove and Madder Root) and I didn't need any additional conditioner.
AS you said, they're expensive, so you want to get your moneys worth of color!
If I'd felt I did need extra conditioning, I think it would have been better to used a leave-in conditioner, after the Aveda has been rinsed out.

raingirl
December 3rd, 2012, 09:34 AM
Yes, adding the other conditioner on top is just thinning out the other conditioner underneath. I don't think you would get the full benefits of it. Can you alternate? Use the colouring conditioner some days, and regular other days?

Carolyn
December 3rd, 2012, 03:43 PM
I use the Aveda Blue Malva. I assume it would be similar to the Madder Rose. I find the Blue Malva to be kind of drying so I often add a little heavy moisture conditioner to the Blue Malva. I'm probably "watering" it down by doing that. I used maybe 2T of the Aveda and 1T of whatever other conditioner I've chosen. If you are going for more color deposit I'd say use the Aveda on it's own.

I've combined conditioners for years with no bad results. Nothing ever exploded on my head :silly: I just slap on a handful of this and a handful of that. Sometimes I do one on my scalp such as something with tea tree oil in it and something heavy on my length. Sometimes I mix them together in my hand or sometimes just squish them together on my hair.

sakuraemily
December 4th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I don't think it hurts. Just as long as you don't have the conditioner on your scalp that is.

feb26
December 7th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all the info..as my hair is quite thin & the greys are right up in front at temples, there is a chance a bit of the Aveda CO is going on scalp..but no tingling or other ill effects, so no worries. I was more concerned about the watering down effect rather than the safety of the chemicals on my head..I only wash 2x a week, both times I shampoo & condish. So will definitely try the suggestion to shampoo, condish with Aveda & then deep condish again with the L'Oreal or Garnier brand. Might just rinse out in tub though for the 3rd rinse though as I leave the Aveda condish on for 10mins & by the time it's done, I'm done shaving, washing, etc & am tapping toes waiting for timer to go off.

luxepiggy
December 7th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I think your current method may be somewhat diluting the effect of the colour depositing conditioner. Instead, I would suggest applying the colour depositing conditioner and letting that soak in first for 10-15 min. Then apply the second conditioner shortly before rinsing.