PDA

View Full Version : Costume - how do I manage this hairsyle without completely wrecking my hair?

Becky9679
December 2nd, 2012, 12:05 PM
I'm going to a 60s, 70s and 80s themed night for New Years and I wanted to dress as one of my number 1 idols of all time - Dave Vanian the singer of The Damned, as he appeared in his 80s era. For those who aren't familiar with him, he looked like this:
http://zgzconciertos.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/dave-vanian-efemeride-musical-12-de-octubre.jpg

Now, I am fully aware that traditionally in order to achieve this look one has to backcomb the hell out of it (I know because I've done it in the past in my younger days :p) however I would really rather keep the hair abuse to a minimum and I wondered if anyone has ideas for a viable alternative to achieve this look?

Currently I'm thinking that my best shot would be to make braidwaves using lots of tiny braids and then brush them out for the *boom* effect - I've done this in the past and it does make my hair appear quite massive! I'm willing to use a minimal amount of hairspray to keep it in place and a coloured spray for the white streak. I doubt this will damage it too much as I never normally use products of any kind :)

Any advice from anyone gratefully received!

kaydana
December 2nd, 2012, 12:08 PM
I think the braidwaves are a good idea, but leave the very front section of your hair out so you'll have the smooth layer over it.

Sillage
December 2nd, 2012, 12:59 PM
No advice, but I hope you post pics of this!

jacqueline101
December 2nd, 2012, 01:23 PM
I agree with the braid waves and I want to see how it turned out.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 2nd, 2012, 02:56 PM
Maybe just do the backcombing - you can comb it out again carefully if you use lots of conditioner, and surely doing it just once isn't going to do damage.

ravenreed
December 2nd, 2012, 11:13 PM
Aw, I used to love The Damned! I even saw them perform once, a million years ago. Anyway, in the '80's (era of all that was big hair) all I used to do was hair spray the heck out of my damp hair and blow dry it upside down while scrunching it. I have wavy hair so I don't know how that will work for you.

truepeacenik
December 2nd, 2012, 11:24 PM
My eighties hair cruelties were for singing on stage and being part of a RHPS floor show.

BIG hair, and I was in Texas, where it had to be done once in a while to prove you weren't a pinko or something.
Pity I'm a pinko.

To go big, I had 15-18 braids, using a setting lotion, hair sprayed to death upside down. Yeah, aquanet! I never owned a hair dryer after age 15.

I even did the white stripe with hairspray, too.

Today, I'd use one of the sculpting clay hair treatments at the roots for maximum lift.

You know we are all awaiting photos, yes?

Becky9679
December 3rd, 2012, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the ideas! And don't worry, you'll definitely be getting pictures ;)