PDA

View Full Version : A Year Without Trims: 2013

Pages : [1] 2 3

gillybeanxo3921
December 2nd, 2012, 09:48 AM
Okay, so ripping off of ArienEllariel's original thread for 2012, who else down for no trimming? :disco:

lunardaydreamer
December 2nd, 2012, 09:50 AM
I am down for no trims 2013!!!! I might get a tiny trim before... is that bad? I AM SO DOWN THOUGH! I'm excited :) great idea Gillybean!

gillybeanxo3921
December 2nd, 2012, 09:58 AM
No that's absolutely fine! I've had two trims in the past four/five months, so my ends are still pretty fresh(: I need this, I tend to get trims a lot!

Sylvestrix
December 2nd, 2012, 10:19 AM
I think I'll be hopping on board for this one! I've only had one 'trim' this year (trim, six inch chop, same difference xD) but I've been tinkering with my shape, which may end up making me squint if I continue! In for no trims next year! =D

jacqueline101
December 2nd, 2012, 10:21 AM
I'm with it as long as I can trim my fringe.

Flame3345
December 2nd, 2012, 10:22 AM
I'm definitely in :D (my hair is so short that i definitely WON'T be needing to trim it :P (is it okay to do S&D? does that count as a trim?)

gillybeanxo3921
December 2nd, 2012, 10:30 AM
I'm with it as long as I can trim my fringe.

(is it okay to do S&D? does that count as a trim?)

Fringe doesn't count :) and yes s&d is fine. I probably wouldn't be able to survive without s&d! The way I see it, as long as you aren't losing overall length, then it doesn't count!

Goodluck guys!

MORE
December 2nd, 2012, 10:52 AM
I'm in!:waving:

My last cut was in March this year. Since then I've been lurking around the No Trims in 2012-tread but never posted.:oops: I do S&D's at least a couple of times a week, but other than that no scissors shall touch my strands! I am growing out layers and damage, so it will mean a looooot of S&D's - but I have sharpened my scissors recently.:razz:

Now it's official: I will not trim for 2013!

melusine963
December 2nd, 2012, 11:01 AM
I would join you, but my annual trim is due in Spring. As long as I think of it as no trims for twelve months I'm on board. :)

gillybeanxo3921
December 2nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
I would join you, but my annual trim is due in Spring. As long as I think of it as no trims for twelve months I'm on board. :)

Fine with me :)

I'm in!:waving:

My last cut was in March this year. Since then I've been lurking around the No Trims in 2012-tread but never posted.:oops: I do S&D's at least a couple of times a week, but other than that no scissors shall touch my strands! I am growing out layers and damage, so it will mean a looooot of S&D's - but I have sharpened my scissors recently.:razz:

Now it's official: I will not trim for 2013!

That's basically the same situation I'm in! I'm not sure if I'm going to get rid of my layers though, My curls get too boxy without them! I'm considering bangs for next year though.

rock007junkie
December 2nd, 2012, 11:20 AM
I'm planning to get a trim this month. After that I should be on board with the no trims.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2012, 11:34 AM
I'm in, straight from the 2012 thread, and not having had a trim since September 2011. No trims until TBL for me. Might be that I get there half 2013, though, so I'll see what I'll do then. But until that time, I'm in!

gillybeanxo3921
December 2nd, 2012, 11:39 AM
I think it would be a good idea to take a picture of your current hair, so when the year is over we can compare :D

millyaulait
December 2nd, 2012, 11:42 AM
I really want to join you guys in this... but I'm not sure if I actually need a microtrim first or not.

I wish I knew how exactly to tell damage apart from the rest. :\

gthlvrmx
December 2nd, 2012, 11:59 AM
I already accomplished no trims for 2012, im ready to start another year of no trimming! :D :) cant wait to see how my hair looks next year :D

KrissyKitty
December 2nd, 2012, 12:11 PM
I'm in! I want to go at least 10 months before my next trim. Here I come APL!!

JadeTigress
December 2nd, 2012, 01:33 PM
I'm definitely in. I just had to cut back to APL from BSL, and I want my length back! I'll definitely have to figure out s&d for this to work, though. My hair splits like crazy.

GabrielleRose
December 2nd, 2012, 01:37 PM
Count me in, may do a small trim this month for a "fresh" start. Haven't trimmed since July.

oktobergoud
December 2nd, 2012, 01:39 PM
I think I'm in!! I'll probably micro-trim though :x But even so, that would be a huge change with this year where I got several professional cuts (ohhh growing out a pixie is a pain!). So uhm, I think I sort-of-join this haha :D

Sylvestrix
December 2nd, 2012, 01:43 PM
I think it would be a good idea to take a picture of your current hair, so when the year is over we can compare :D

Good plan! I'll dig out my camera and do that before I forget!

~Aaand my camera has decided not to be friends with my computer, so I can't post >.> But I have it for future reference at least, and on the plus side, I've just realised I am very solidly past BSL, woot!

girlcat36
December 2nd, 2012, 02:19 PM
I'm in! I cut back to 16" in July; I'm dying to get some length back.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 2nd, 2012, 02:29 PM
I'm in the no trims for 2012 thread. I would like to go into the "no trims in 2013 thread". I haven't actually trimmed since early 2010. I don't S&D, I haven't found any split ends.

So, I would like your opinions, ladies - here is my current hair: do you think I should do a small trim and then start the new year fresh, OR, just keep going and don't trim for another year? http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/FClength1Dec201226inches.jpg

gthlvrmx
December 2nd, 2012, 02:33 PM
I'm in the no trims for 2012 thread. I would like to go into the "no trims in 2013 thread". I haven't actually trimmed since early 2010. I don't S&D, I haven't found any split ends.

So, I would like your opinions, ladies - here is my current hair: do you think I should do a small trim and then start the new year fresh, OR, just keep going and don't trim for another year? http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/FClength1Dec201226inches.jpg
why trim if theres nothing damaged and all? and if you are happy with the thickness overall, then why trim? no need to "fix" what's not broken. with your hair, i wouldn't trim and continue growing and do what im doing! you hair looks amazing so far and i love it especially knowing that you havent trimmed since 2010! WOW! :D :)

arjay.d
December 2nd, 2012, 02:44 PM
Okay, I'm gonna join this thread. I haven't trimmed since May or June of this year. I'm considering getting a trim for my birthday (29th), because I haven't been as gentle with my hair this year as I should be. After that though, I won't get another one for 2013. I'm excited for this year. :cheese:

gillybeanxo3921
December 2nd, 2012, 03:10 PM
Sarahlabyrinth, I think you're fine!

I feel like a small trim before we start this could help everyone avoid trimming later on, so go ahead :)

Allychan
December 2nd, 2012, 03:12 PM
Hmm I will aim for no trims UNTIL July 2013, I still have damage and thin ends that need thickening up. For the first part of 2013 I am aiming for lots of length though.

GrowingGlory
December 2nd, 2012, 03:58 PM
I'll make a commitment to refrain from receiving any form of hair cutting in 2013.

momoftwo708
December 2nd, 2012, 04:05 PM
I'm so in! I must of did big trims about 7 times since August! I'm done!!! Here's to long hair fr 2013 and thick hemline no trims! Best of luck to all of us in 2013

Happytresses
December 2nd, 2012, 04:15 PM
I want in!!! Yay! I'm only two inches away from bsl and I am so determined to get there. I'm so excited.

lacefrost
December 2nd, 2012, 04:43 PM
Okay, I'm in. With the exception of S&D once a month according to the lunar calender. Very excited to gain 6 inches!

kitcatsmeow
December 2nd, 2012, 04:53 PM
In! I'm a month away from completing the no trims 2012 challenge and actually I haven't trimmed in 16 months. Still debating whether or not I should do a trim before going another year or just keep going....

CTH3989
December 2nd, 2012, 05:14 PM
No trimming for me!

~honeyflower~
December 2nd, 2012, 05:39 PM
Ok now I'm convinced, I'm in!

gillybeanxo3921
December 2nd, 2012, 06:15 PM
Last year, I trimmed off almost all of my growth. This year I'm gonna save all of it :)

MrsGuther
December 2nd, 2012, 06:34 PM
I think I'm in!! I got one trim in 2012 (1 inch) and I totally regretted it. I loved how fresh my ends felt but I didn't like losing any length. If I don't trim in 2013 I should get to classic before the year is out! Yippee!!

LaurelSpring
December 2nd, 2012, 06:43 PM
I think I can make it until March and then check in again. If S&D doesnt count I should be good. I need to make up what I cut off last February and I am not making as much progress and I would have liked.

constancev18
December 2nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
I'm in. No trims but I will s&d.

MaryMarx
December 3rd, 2012, 03:52 AM
I will try... I WILL TRY!
I've just gotten rid of the last remaining strand of heat fried hair that I had missed, so now I don't have any reason to cut. But it's sooo haaard! :(

MORE
December 3rd, 2012, 07:43 AM

Said and done!:grin:

Today December 3rd 2012:
http://imageshack.us/a/img843/3523/decemberlngd.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/decemberlngd.jpg/)http://imageshack.us/a/img96/171/decemberkx.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/decemberkx.jpg/)

Happy growing everyone! Will be enjoying to hear about everyone's progress.:popcorn:

see_turtle
December 3rd, 2012, 07:56 AM
I am in! Just had a Big Chop(wait to shoulder) right after my wedding in October and have fresh new ends. I am seriously missing my length! Everywhere I go I see long hairs! No trims will help me know I will get there again eventually!

hafattack
December 3rd, 2012, 09:54 AM
YESSS! Count me in! I am sure by this time next year I will have quite an uneven hemline and I can't wait. No trims 2013!

turtlelover
December 3rd, 2012, 05:53 PM
This will be hard for me, because I LOVE to cut my hair, but I am in! I really want my layers to get longer and to get some length back.

gillybeanxo3921
December 3rd, 2012, 06:46 PM
I've been waiting to be waist for a very very very long time. After this year I should be past it :D

I think my hair grows around 8" a year, maybe more than that. I actually have no idea since I'm always trimming it all off.

Avital88
December 4th, 2012, 08:39 AM
I was hestitating to subscribe but i think its the only way to get my hair to classic next year,so im in! I Will trim for last time By The next full moon

pogo0685
December 4th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I am going to join! Last year I cut off all my growth to try to get the damage and henna out, and while I still have both its not as bad anymore so this next year I think if I just s & d I should be ok to not trim it for a year, I will have major fairy tail ends by the end but thats ok with me. I am going to trim one more time on new years eve though, I will post pictures then. Happy growing everyone!

Lauram
December 4th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I'm in. I was thinking at first to do my annual trim in June like I did this year but I'm sure I can wait. My hair isn't very damaged and I'm going to be pregnant for the first half of the year and have a newborn for the second half, which means just wearing my hair up a lot ( also true when it starts to shed). I'm excited for growth! I should be half way between bs and waist by the end of the year.

RedheadMistress
December 4th, 2012, 01:31 PM
- I think this would be a good idea for me.

Been a part of this site for Years, still my hair doesn't feel Much longer, even though it is a million time healthier, which is *important* . .

but yes, no trims, only henna and things like that allowed, sounds healthy for me . o.o

gillybeanxo3921
December 4th, 2012, 01:32 PM
yes I'm so excited(: The fact that it's already longer than it was last month gives me hope that by the end of this year, my hair will be VERY long!

white.chocolate
December 4th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I'm in! I just want to reach mid-thigh as soon as I can, and I need at least a year more for that. Yay for S&D!

Good luck to everyone in this thread! :)

Loveisaverb
December 4th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Count me in~
Did a trim a two months ago and my ends are lot better, so lets try this again!

Ki
December 5th, 2012, 04:27 AM
I'm in. Haven't had a trim since Spring this year. Just starting to notice a few splits now and ends are a bit drier. Debating should I get a small trim this month (then none for 2013) or just S&D and hope for the best?!

oktobergoud
December 5th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Okay, I decided I'm in :D BUT I will S&D! I just found my first 2 split ends last night.. after ehm, idk, a year?? :D

morrigan*
December 5th, 2012, 05:17 AM
I will probably join, though i will have small trim by end of december, i will post photo then.

raingirl
December 5th, 2012, 05:21 AM
I'm in. I've been waiting for this thread. I'm going to try S&D though as I have some splits farther up as my hair breaks so easily. I had a trim in October and the ends still look really good now that I know how to take care of my hair!

door72067
December 5th, 2012, 05:24 AM
I might be in...I'm currently at 14 months without trims...I keep thinking I ~should~ trim...but when I look at my ends, aside from a teeny bit of fairytailing going on, they are fine

but since I am growing out color, I know that at some point I must trim to get rid of the old dyed hair

I'm almost tickling waist so that's my incentive to not trim right now

Taenarian
December 5th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Ooooo I'm in.

Last trim was an inch in October 2011 to firm up the hemline and I've now reached 28 inches. I can see 2013 from my house.....

woolyleprechaun
December 5th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Yup, I'm in! I took around 2 inches (gasps) off in september to get rid of the rubbish hemline.... I think it would do me good to not trim next year. I must have trimmed half of my growth off this year, and I still gained around 6inches (Thanks, castor oil and redbush tea :))

SerinaDaith
December 5th, 2012, 06:24 AM
I am in! I will get a picture posted this afternoon! I am hoping for APL by my birthday and with luck BSL in late 2013 or early 2014. This is he first time in my life that being short really is a good thing. Oh I am currently shoulder length.

savfairy
December 5th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I'm in!! ^_^ I've trimmed way too much in 2012 and my hair has been at BSL for too long now. I'm going to do one final trim some at point this month and then take very good care of my hair from then on.

Shaun
December 5th, 2012, 01:25 PM
If the ladies don't mind a gent jumping on the bandwagon, I'm down for no trims in 2013. I will have a small one done before years end for a special event, but it :hatchet: will be the last! To think back, this time last year I was sporting a buzz cut, marine style, now I'm at my shoulders. :happydance: I know, I know, I owe everyone a new pic, mines a few months out dated...

S.

bunnylake
December 5th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Count me in!
I am juuuust below waist length and I'm dying to make it to tailbone ASAP! I will s&d if I need to, though!

gillybeanxo3921
December 5th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I'm in!! ^_^ I've trimmed way too much in 2012 and my hair has been at BSL for too long now. I'm going to do one final trim some at point this month and then take very good care of my hair from then on.

Same! That's exactly my problem. I started at almost bsl last year, and I'm still here -_-

If the ladies don't mind a gent jumping on the bandwagon, I'm down for no trims in 2013.
S.

Nope not at all :)

SnowyDream
December 6th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Definitely count me in, I don't see me getting a haircut in the foreseeable future. :p

jackie75
December 6th, 2012, 06:41 AM
I've been thinking a lot about this challenge, and I definately want to try!! I wonder if I should get a trim done though before 2013, since, I hastily chopped off the mullet part of my growing out modified pixie cut...and...the scissors were junk. I haven't found a hair dresser yet (we just moved) that I can trust, so salons scare me!

Do you guys think I should just do the challenge without a trim first, or could the bad cut cause damage? :confused:

gillybeanxo3921
December 6th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Do you guys think I should just do the challenge without a trim first, or could the bad cut cause damage? :confused:

I think you should just stick with what you have. I still have some damage, but I've cut off almost all my new growth this year. So getting another trim, would make me unhappy, even though I could probably use it. I suggest waiting until the year is over, and then fixing all of it. Getting your hemline straightened out since your pixie, cleaning up the damage, and whatever else needs to get done.

That's what I'm doing. I'm tired of maintaining!

endlesssummer
December 7th, 2012, 01:13 AM
So excited for this thread, this will be a good motivator to gain some length and make my way to waist. Does anyone have any tips on what they are going to do to prevent split ends? I'm banishing heat styling and might try to get my hands on some argan oil. I probably should do a trim in the new year to start this challenge, but seeing as summer is the best time for fast growth I'd like to get a head start for 2013. Good luck everybody!

Maha
December 7th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Glad I came across this thread.
Count me in.
I was planning on doing a small self trim right before 2013, so I'll just go 2013 without a trim and S&D.
Maybe I can get it to classic length by then.

bte
December 7th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Only five days, and 67 replies already!

I will be joining you as ever - no trims for me since June 1994, so by the end of 2013 that will be 19― years.

Good luck everybody!

GrowingOut
December 7th, 2012, 04:28 AM
I'm in! Let's hit classic!

JadeTigress
December 7th, 2012, 09:40 AM
bte, that's amazing! What's your secret? Just routine s&d?

longNred
December 7th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I've made it through this year with no trims, so hopefully I can do another.

Vivalagina
December 7th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Interested in doing this, just to see how sensitive my hair is to splitting. I'll need to get these dang white dots trimmed off before the end of the year, though. (Stupid scissors from Sally's... how are brand new scissors not sharp? White dots of doom. Argh.)

lapushka
December 7th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I will be joining you as ever - no trims for me since June 1994, so by the end of 2013 that will be 19― years.

Wow, that's amazing! :D :thumbsup:

bte
December 8th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Wow, that's amazing! :D :thumbsup:
No real secret! Thanks to you fir asking and to Jadetigress. I don't even do S+D. My hair grows so slowly that I don't have the luxury of even S+D. I just trey to look after it as well as I can to reduce splits.

Arden
December 8th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Oh yo beat me to it. I was thinking about starting this thread last night. I was planning to get a cut ijist before Christmas just to clean up my ends. Then a year of hair growing here I come.

march_sun
December 8th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Count me in

panffle
December 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I'm in too! I'll trim a bit before the year ends, then no trimming for me next year. I have also decided to stop dyeing my hair.

cheetahfast
December 8th, 2012, 05:27 PM
I'm in...I made it through 2012, not even thinking of it, so far.

I think my last cut/trim was early 2011? Hmm...

RileyJane
December 8th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I'm in! I've been doin this all of 2012 so I'm sure another year will be easy :)

gillybeanxo3921
December 8th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I'm a little obsessed with trims. I'm constantly looking at my splits and playing with them, and thinking of how much better my hair will be with no damage. I think it will be much easier to get rid of all the damage to just let it grow, and take off what's necessary when I'm done.

I cut off almost all my growth last year. My hair grows surprisingly fast though! I just need to cool it on the trims. I've already had two in five months, and I was beginning to consider another one! I cannot keep taking off all my length. My only obstacle is myself.

whitedove
December 8th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Not cut my hair since I joined, so I have had 10 months so far no trims. Might do a small dusting before news years and join in with you all :). Should deffinatly get waist and most likey hip this year!

cocoisfit
December 8th, 2012, 08:39 PM
i'm in! just had a big chop and need to grow out my hair.

floralgem
December 8th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I'm in! Maybe fix my ends up a bit, then starting next year, NO TRIMS!

hairconvictions
December 8th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Since I never trim my hair, count me in for another year haha

Words
December 9th, 2012, 01:43 AM
I'm in! Last time I cut my hair was in September. Hopefully I can manage not trimming during 2013!

MaryO
December 9th, 2012, 06:35 AM
I definitely won't be trimming in 2013. This will be my year of GOOD long hair! (Previously it was BAD long hair... ;-)

gillybeanxo3921
December 9th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Yay I'm so excited! I'm really curious as to how much my hair grows annually

Sylvestrix
December 10th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I've just reassessed my goals and decided to shoot for BCL- thats another 7 inches (grazing) or 9 inches (solid) by my measure. Hopefully I'll be able to reach this goal by next Christmas if I keep to no trims and am lucky enough to have one of my random summer growth spurts! Anyone else likely to reach a goal or mini goal by the end of 2013? =]

Golden
December 10th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I'm in! I haven't trimmed since august 2011. Maybe I'll be at waist at the end of 2013?... Ohh I hope so :D

Sarahlabyrinth
December 10th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I've just reassessed my goals and decided to shoot for BCL- thats another 7 inches (grazing) or 9 inches (solid) by my measure. Hopefully I'll be able to reach this goal by next Christmas if I keep to no trims and am lucky enough to have one of my random summer growth spurts! Anyone else likely to reach a goal or mini goal by the end of 2013? =]

I will certainly reach BSL as I am already past it when my hair is stretched, and about 2 inches away unstretched. I am also hoping to reach WL , that will mean growing - 7 inches or thereabouts. Here's to big growth spurts!

gillybeanxo3921
December 10th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I need another 2.5" to be grazing waist, and 4.5" to be solid solid solid :D

After solid waist, I have another three inches to be hip. So 7.5" I'll have reached hip! I'm not positive if I'll make it or not, but I'm pretty sure I can. My hair grows pretty fast I think.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 10th, 2012, 03:33 PM
What do you folks consider MBL? is it just anywhere between BSL and WL?

gillybeanxo3921
December 10th, 2012, 04:04 PM
yah that's what I consider it hahah

I'll probably get a trim in January 2014. I already have splits to start with, so I'm going to try and keep it as nice as possible until then.

Elysium
December 10th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I'm in! :D
Haven't had a trim since February of this year so I may do a small trim this month :)

LunarAurora
December 10th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I'm in too !

In 2012 I microtrimmed every month, but now I need more length ! :)

Sylvestrix
December 10th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I'm in! I haven't trimmed since august 2011. Maybe I'll be at waist at the end of 2013?... Ohh I hope so :D

Fingers crossed! Hopefully a good few of us will be reaching some kind of landmark next year- we shall have a party!

I will certainly reach BSL as I am already past it when my hair is stretched, and about 2 inches away unstretched. I am also hoping to reach WL , that will mean growing - 7 inches or thereabouts. Here's to big growth spurts!

Seconded! Really, really hoping I get one of my summer spurts- some years I get them and it's immense, some years, nothing. Amusingly, in the past they used to irritate me because it meant I had to trim more often- now I'm practically begging for one!

I need another 2.5" to be grazing waist, and 4.5" to be solid solid solid :D

After solid waist, I have another three inches to be hip. So 7.5" I'll have reached hip! I'm not positive if I'll make it or not, but I'm pretty sure I can. My hair grows pretty fast I think.

Even if you don't quite reach hip, I'm willing to bet you'll be well on your way there! =D

What do you folks consider MBL? is it just anywhere between BSL and WL?

I generally think so- its just the general expanse between those two markers heh, darn you bodies for being sort of featureless between BSL and waist!

gillybeanxo3921
December 10th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I generally think so- its just the general expanse between those two markers heh, darn you bodies for being sort of featureless between BSL and waist!

hahahahah that sounds like something my friend Alli would say!

omgitssarah
December 10th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I'm gonna join in on this! One more trim before the end of the year, then none. =D

hafattack
December 10th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I think I'm going to officially set my Christmas 2013 goal at BCL. I am not to good at measuring but i believe seven should do it. Hoping for hip by... April?!? I will post a picture Dec. 31!

faery_braids
December 10th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I think I'll hop on board, too! My hair's been super finicky and refusing to grow much at all since I got super stressed during classes in the spring, and the little growth I got over the summer was eradicated by the need for trims and my hair's refusal to grow during classes this fall, probably because I was really stressed again. B/

morrigan*
December 11th, 2012, 05:07 AM
I decided i'm in after all :D

JadeTigress
December 11th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I'm setting my Christmas 2013 goal at waist. I've got around 6 or 7 inches to go. I'll have to get an actual measurement. :p But with no trims I think I can make it there, or atleast get really darn close.

gillybeanxo3921
December 11th, 2012, 01:09 PM
at the absolute minimum, I want waist.

I'm really hoping I have enough that if I wanted, I could trim off a good bit of hair, and still be at waist, though.

Hopefully, this year will help me learn that I don't need as many trims as I've been getting. I'll learn to abstain from getting it cut, and let the splits be :)

millyaulait
December 11th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Okay, I'm in! :D

I'm hoping to be solid waist by the end of 2013!

MonaMayfair
December 11th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I haven't had a trim since January of this year, so I've nearly had my year without trims!

pogo0685
December 11th, 2012, 01:46 PM
My goal for 2013 is to be at hip. Without trims I should have no problem getting there. I have never had hair past waist so I hope that I can get to hip.

JadeTigress
December 11th, 2012, 01:58 PM
gillybean, I totally understand about the trims. They're my enemy, too. I've been trying to grow my hair for 4 years now. If I had just left it alone instead of constantly trimming (especially during the pixie grow out stage), I'd already be at waist and beyond. Instead, here I sit back at APL, because of yet another trim. It's going to be hard, but I'm done with trims this year!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 11th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Ok, after a lot of humming and hawing, I've decided - I'm IN for no trims in 2013 - but do reserve the option of doing S & D if necessary....add me to the list please!

Curly Hermione
December 11th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Ok, I think I'm in! :) I will probably try to do a trim before the end of this year... if I have time! I have only reently started properly S&Ding, so I will make a commitment to do that more often, and this will also mean wearing it up more! I may even join the wear hair up for a year thread, I did it for a month once.... hmmm...

gillybeanxo3921
December 11th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I'm really hoping for hip!

My hair is growing frustratingly slow right now. I'm going to ask my Dad to take me to the doctor so we can talk about me going back on my iron pills and/or taking biotin.

gillybeanxo3921
December 11th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Ok, after a lot of humming and hawing, I've decided - I'm IN for no trims in 2013 - but do reserve the option of doing S & D if necessary....add me to the list please!

Hahah suree!

Ok, I think I'm in! :) I will probably try to do a trim before the end of this year... if I have time! I have only reently started properly S&Ding, so I will make a commitment to do that more often, and this will also mean wearing it up more! I may even join the wear hair up for a year thread, I did it for a month once.... hmmm...

I've never worn my hair up for an extended period of time, but I'm considering trying it out sometime soon!

floralgem
December 11th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Okay, did my ends trim, so that means I'm back at APL, but now I'm ready to take on the challenge!

falene
December 11th, 2012, 04:16 PM
no trim?? the only major thing i have done was to cut my bangs from the end of nose to just under my eyebrows and its taken me 3 years!!! to get em back to that length. The rest of my head seems to have not grown at all. I think my baby fine and thin hair just doesn't grow more then 1/2 a inch a year?? No longer has a goal of BS before i turn 50, i just want it healthy and growing at a normal rate.HELP!!!!!!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 11th, 2012, 04:22 PM
no trim?? the only major thing i have done was to cut my bangs from the end of nose to just under my eyebrows and its taken me 3 years!!! to get em back to that length. The rest of my head seems to have not grown at all. I think my baby fine and thin hair just doesn't grow more then 1/2 a inch a year?? No longer has a goal of BS before i turn 50, i just want it healthy and growing at a normal rate.HELP!!!!!!

Falene, I don't know how you look after your hair but here on LHC you will learn zillions of ways to pamper your hair and find out what it likes. I'm sure once you find out what it likes it will grow beautifully for you.

ebba
December 11th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I just got a cut to even out my layers and im currently just past shoulder length. Hopefully i can stop twirling & ripping out my hair when it gets knotted till I rip scads out and grow it healthy and long :/

gillybeanxo3921
December 11th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I just got a cut to even out my layers and im currently just past shoulder length. Hopefully i can stop twirling & ripping out my hair when it gets knotted till I rip scads out and grow it healthy and long :/

I have that same problem. I'm always picking at my splits!

I use spray my hair with leave in conditioner, detangler, and smooth some coconut oil in my hair before I come through it. It helps a lot!

Ashes4Beauty
December 11th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Hi! Im new here:) I saw this post, and I was wondering what is S&D's??!:) I know some of the lingo thrown around in here but that's a new one for me:)! Thank you, and I 'm really excited to be here, and slightly confused with how to use this site, but hopefully someone can help me out! Thank you, and God bless:)

akilina
December 11th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I might be in to try :) No guarantees, and I would have to take it month by month. My ends are really totally okay...but I get in these mind sets that I *have* to trim for some reason! Its annoying to me :P I could mark it since I trimmed my length last...which was a month ago so at least I have gotten this far!
Before that I had no trims for 3 months and that was totally crazy for me but I realized how much longer my hair appears if I stop chopping half of the length I've grown for that month.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 11th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Hi! Im new here:) I saw this post, and I was wondering what is S&D's??!:) I know some of the lingo thrown around in here but that's a new one for me:)! Thank you, and I 'm really excited to be here, and slightly confused with how to use this site, but hopefully someone can help me out! Thank you, and God bless:)

S & D means Search and Destroy, as in search for and destroy individual split ends and other damaged ends on one's hair, as opposed to simply trimming 3 inches off the whole length or whatever...Therefore allowing the length to stay intact.

PixxieStix
December 11th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Well, I've had a two year traditon going where I have my once a year trim on my birthday in September, but I think I'll give it a go this upcoming year and do the No Trims challenge. :) So, one year and just over three months of no trimming for me since I bowed out of the "No Trims in 2012" challenge by having my ends trimmed in September, but I feel so much better for it. :) I have 4 inches until solid BSL and 4-5 to reach waist, so if I get some sort of major growth spurt and manage to grow 8 inches, I could in theory be brushing up against waist this time next year! I'll be super happy with solid BSL though. :) Waist for Christmas next year would be a dream though.

Oksana
December 12th, 2012, 05:16 AM
I have been seriously considering this challenge for over a week now. I still have layers which I would really like to eradicate by the end of 2013 but I also need to give the scissors a rest. In 2012 I trimmed over half my growth off and I am now desperate to gain some serious length!

I think I will have an inch trim of my hemline and half inch trim of my layers at the end of December and then give this challenge a go. I remain the right to start trimming if I hit my final goal of hip though!

Ki
December 12th, 2012, 06:48 AM
I've decided not to trim my hair this month, after all. I just don't want to end up with having more cut off than I intended, and it's not in too bad a condition anyway. Of course this means it's going to be way harder to resist a trim next year... I'm going to review it in three months time, if it's too much of a mess then I may have to trim! But my plan for now is S&D only :) Currently at almost armpit length my goal for next year is BSL.

Callque
December 12th, 2012, 07:10 AM
I would love to do this but after about five months of no trims my hair starts to thin considerably and my ends stop curling and their color fades significantly more than the rest of my hair (my hair used to be chemically dyed every few months for a few years but I've stopped now) and becomes very rough (it feels like velcro) and dry (yes I've clarified and oiled them). If I did this challenge I would end up having to cut off half of the year's growth after the challenge was over because it would look so unhealthy. Does this happen to anyone else?

PixxieStix
December 12th, 2012, 09:25 AM
I remain the right to start trimming if I hit my final goal of hip though!

Absolutely! I think everyone joins in this challenge for so many different reasons, and sure, it's fun to say this time next year that you did it, but never at the expense of doing what you want or what is right for your hair. This is a no competition challenge, lol! I fully reserve the right to bow out if I find that I've reached solid BSL (4 or so inches to go) and it needs to be evened up to look good down, but we'll see!

Oksana
December 12th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Absolutely! I think everyone joins in this challenge for so many different reasons, and sure, it's fun to say this time next year that you did it, but never at the expense of doing what you want or what is right for your hair. This is a no competition challenge, lol! I fully reserve the right to bow out if I find that I've reached solid BSL (4 or so inches to go) and it needs to be evened up to look good down, but we'll see!

Completely agree with this :) I've got 5 inches to solid hip so hopefully we should both reach our goal / mini goal by this time next year :)

morrigan*
December 12th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Do you think i should trim my hair before starting this?
I was thinking of trimming back to bsl, but my ends are in really good condition, just look thinner.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=879&d=1355341734
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=877&d=1355341702

gillybeanxo3921
December 12th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I would love to do this but after about five months of no trims my hair starts to thin considerably and my ends stop curling and their color fades significantly more than the rest of my hair (my hair used to be chemically dyed every few months for a few years but I've stopped now) and becomes very rough (it feels like velcro) and dry (yes I've clarified and oiled them). If I did this challenge I would end up having to cut off half of the year's growth after the challenge was over because it would look so unhealthy. Does this happen to anyone else?

I have layers so after a while they get messed up and becoming very thin towards the ends. I blame it on my split ends for breaking off and also my s&d'ing. I'm not sure how long you've been doing this, but eventually it should get better! Eventually you will grow out the old damage and you should be able to go longer without trimming. Good luck!

[COLOR="#006400"]Do you think i should trim my hair before starting this?
I was thinking of trimming back to bsl, but my ends are in really good condition, just look thinner.

I think that as long as your ends are fine, that you should hold off cutting. You should wait until you get some legitimate damage, and then take care of the splits and thicken your hemline at the same time!

morrigan*
December 13th, 2012, 12:24 AM
I think that as long as your ends are fine, that you should hold off cutting. You should wait until you get some legitimate damage, and then take care of the splits and thicken your hemline at the same time!

Then i might only do small microtrim, just to get slight u hem.

gillybeanxo3921
December 13th, 2012, 01:11 PM
yah good idea! Make sure you tell the hair dressers clearly that you only want a bit off :)

stephanie6211
December 13th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I think I might give this a go, since I have about 5 inches to solid waist. Can't wait!

constancev18
December 13th, 2012, 01:26 PM
DH gave me a trim today, which was sorely needed as my last trim was 10/2009! I'm committed to no trims in 2013. CL here I come!

gillybeanxo3921
December 13th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I just wish I could have my summer growth spurts back! I need some length hahah

ozzy
December 13th, 2012, 06:07 PM
I am joining you guys :) hope 2012 will bring all of us great growth!

morrigan*
December 14th, 2012, 01:12 AM
yah good idea! Make sure you tell the hair dressers clearly that you only want a bit off :)

I don't go to hairdressers, i was only once, and she fried my hair. So i usually trim it myself, or ask DH or mom.

Michelle051
December 14th, 2012, 02:16 AM
I'm in ! :) I trimmed my hair week ago and my hair is just too short :(

Soltimus
December 14th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Oooh, I'm in for sure! Haven't trimmed in 2012 as part of the old challenge, so my plan was to trim my hair a wee bit around New Year's and then not trim through 2013 (I'll do it myself - no one is touching my hair from now on!). My hair has gone from BSL to waist during 2012, and it's the longest it's ever been. I'm so thrilled! :D

gillybeanxo3921
December 14th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I don't go to hairdressers, i was only once, and she fried my hair. So i usually trim it myself, or ask DH or mom.

Good! hahah

SerinaDaith
December 14th, 2012, 09:08 PM
My hair is still to short to self trim or fully S&D however what I can see of my hair is split free so here's hope that I can go almost one and a half years without breakage, by the time this is over maybe I'll have enough length to do some proper S&D.

Vampyria
December 15th, 2012, 07:38 AM
I'm in!:) I will probably have to dust a bit at least twice a year, though. I've just cut almost 2 inches of my hair today, which I was planning to do through all the next year. I mostly got rid of the layers now and changed my hemline from V to U.

I've also been regularly trimming my hair almost every month in 2012 to get rid of the thin dyed ends, and then they got even thinner due to the huge shedding. I was less than an inch short to APL, and now I'm almost at shoulder again. Now the shedding decreased a bit so I decided to start over, and I hope it doesn't increase again.

I really have to stop trimming, if I want to come to waist at all. I don't have a picture yet, so I'm posting it when I take it. :)

MissEarlGrey
December 15th, 2012, 07:53 AM
I'm down, I'll just get a trim right after the hols and then none until this time next year. I reached my goal length already, but what will a few more inches hurt, eh? :)

Iaine
December 15th, 2012, 08:05 AM
I'm totally joining. This is exciting! I just had a major trim (two inches, but it was necessary) late last month, so I'm ready to relinquish the scissors and see how much length I can retain. I'm going to go take a sort of before picture so I can keep up with my progress.

Iaine
December 15th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Here are my before photos for future reference:

Front (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=10868&attachmentid=902) and back (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=10868&attachmentid=901) views

gillybeanxo3921
December 16th, 2012, 07:23 AM
yaay :)

I already have so many split ends. I'm already tempted to cut it, but I refuse. I will not trim my hair again.

This time next year I can abolish my frayed ends, but I'm not going to trim it a.. what? fourth or fifth time this year? No. Not happening.

animetor7
December 16th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Alright freshly trimmed and ready to go, no more trims until my birthday in January 2014!

rock007junkie
December 16th, 2012, 11:52 AM
yaay :)

I already have so many split ends. I'm already tempted to cut it, but I refuse. I will not trim my hair again.

This time next year I can abolish my frayed ends, but I'm not going to trim it a.. what? fourth or fifth time this year? No. Not happening.

I would get a trim before this year is over if you wanna follow through not trimming this year. Leaving split ends like that will just travel further up runing any length you may gain this year.

AnthonyB93
December 16th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I've gone 6 months without trims. I'm sure I'll be fine with another 12.

AnnaB
December 16th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Ah I've been waiting for this thread!! I've been growing chin length since July and am almost at shoulder but not quiet.
Trouble is, I have badly damaged hair from bleaching, and a lot of layers. But trimming the damage means I am always at the same length.

Ideally I would like no trims in 2013 and no hair colouring. 2nd will be way harder than no cuts!!

Good luck to us all!!!

xoxophelia
December 16th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I am a little torn over what to do with my hair for next year. On one hand, it has done pretty well this past year without trims so I could possibly repeat it again. I do think my hair could use a 1/2" to 1" trim though if I were to continue to not trim for a second year (to help even up the hemline). If I do my trim as close to the start of 2013 as I can, can I still join in on this thread? That will bring me to solid TBL by the end of the year as I am currently at or a little past hip length :)

Oksana
December 16th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I am a little torn over what to do with my hair for next year. On one hand, it has done pretty well this past year without trims so I could possibly repeat it again. I do think my hair could use a 1/2" to 1" trim though if I were to continue to not trim for a second year (to help even up the hemline). If I do my trim as close to the start of 2013 as I can, can I still join in on this thread? That will bring me to solid TBL by the end of the year as I am currently at or a little past hip length :)

I'm planning to do my final trim on 1st of January and then go from there. I think I'm going to take off around 2 inches and I want to enjoy new year celebrations on the night of the 31st with waist length hair :)

Happytresses
December 16th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I love the waves. Mine just sits there.

nakima
December 16th, 2012, 03:47 PM
what is considered a trim? an inch or more? I s&d a lot and a little tiny trim from time to time, have not done anything for the past couple months other than s&d and I need to do this or my ends get dry and raggedy :) soooo I guess I am going to try lol! I just reached my waist length goal recently and so I may do one tiny trim before the first then no trims in 2013, if I can ha! good luck to all and merry christmas and happy growinging in the new year!

Arden
December 16th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Alright guys. I'm official. My last trim before the first was today. No more trims till 2014.... now what... lol

xoxophelia
December 16th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I'm planning to do my final trim on 1st of January and then go from there. I think I'm going to take off around 2 inches and I want to enjoy new year celebrations on the night of the 31st with waist length hair :)

Okay then it seems my one trim option would be possible. I just don't think I can go 2 years with no trims and have it still look decent. I feel like at least one inch to even things up will be needed..

I love the waves. Mine just sits there.

Thanks for the compliment! I think I would have preferred straight hair because wavy hair can easily look wild an untamed but I guess we always want what we can't have :)..

turtlelover
December 16th, 2012, 08:40 PM
This is going to be TOUGH. I have had a ton of compliments on the shorter hair lately, too, which makes leaving it alone all the harder. However, I WILL succeed! I have never gone a year w/out trims, so this would be a huge accomplishment in self discipline.

MaryMarx
December 17th, 2012, 02:30 AM
So today we have 14 days to trim what needs to be trimmed! :)

gillybeanxo3921
December 17th, 2012, 06:29 PM

Yes, that would be fine!

gillybeanxo3921
December 17th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Alright guys. I'm official. My last trim before the first was today. No more trims till 2014.... now what... lol

hahah I really don't know what to do with myself now. I'm just going to keep oiling my hair and s&ding. Maybe try keeping my hair up for a month :) I need this to keep me motivated, though. This will be my anchor, and my reasoning for resisting a trim hahahahah.

This is going to be TOUGH. I have had a ton of compliments on the shorter hair lately, too, which makes leaving it alone all the harder. However, I WILL succeed! I have never gone a year w/out trims, so this would be a huge accomplishment in self discipline.

Definitely! I need to do this to prove to myself that I can! I also really need the length, because when this is over I want to abolish the remaining damage from my flat ironing days (Just a few more inches!)

heidi.maryke
December 17th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Hmmmm I don't think I will make it the entire year without trims. My last cut was August, so I am hoping to hold out for a trim until I reach APL which may be in March? Arghhh who knows may be later or earlier, can never tell how fast your hair will grow. I have my wedding next year so I will be getting it trimmed sometime before then (September) !

Sarahlabyrinth
December 17th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Maybe we should set aside the last 2 weeks of each year for those who want trims to have them? Just a suggestion.

AceOfCurls
December 18th, 2012, 01:02 AM
That's a great idea! I've gone twelve months without trimming, but I definitely need two inches trimmed off. I'll probably see my hair dresser in January then not trim again until January 2014.

Rhoward
December 18th, 2012, 01:15 AM
Great idea, I'll try no trims and no colours!

Jorja
December 18th, 2012, 04:40 AM
:scissors: I would like to give this a go. I had a trim at the hairdressers a couple of weeks ago, so if I look after my hair I think I can do it. I'm hoping that the ones who have already managed a year will be passing on their advice!

starry
December 18th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Ill join, I just did a big chop getting rid of dye damage about 4 months ago.

gillybeanxo3921
December 18th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Yah, I'm really excited for this! I need to do an oil treatment really bad right now

rock007junkie
December 18th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Are any of you ladies doing one last trim before this year is over?

Nique1202
December 18th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I was going to wait until I hit APL to trim and even up my future hemline, but I think Friday I might do a self-trim to even things up some (it'll be exactly four months since my last cut, and the Farmer's Almanac (http://www.farmersalmanac.com/calendar/best-days/health-beauty/cut-hair-to-increase-growth/) says it's a good day to cut to increase growth, which seemed to work for me last time!) and try to join in. I've gone longer without a proper trim before, and I think if I don't trim I could maybe hit BSL before next year's end, if my growth rate doesn't slow down much. :D

SerinaDaith
December 18th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Are any of you ladies doing one last trim before this year is over?

Nope I am skipping any sort of trim, I did a major chop in May right before joining and have not seen any splits since. I am a curly girl so a nice even line of hair unlikely regardless of trimming.

AmberEyes
December 18th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Yes! I need to hide my scissors so I won't be tempted to trim, though. :)

Iaine
December 19th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I'm finally back to BSL after the hairstylist cut off most of my damaged hair back in November. I'm far more excited about regaining that hair than any one person should be.

gillybeanxo3921
December 19th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I'm probably gonna go another year without trims after this. I plan on growing my hair out as long as possible until next December, and then getting about 2" off and going another year.

Then I might do a chop. Very excited for this :)

I just measured my hair, and I'm def 25.5", making my way towards 26" :D When I reach 27" I'll be more satisfied though!

AnnaB
December 19th, 2012, 04:01 PM
I told my mum about this today, and she looked at me like I was crazy.
She said 'Why would you grow it? what can you do with long hair?' My mum had short hair ever since I can remember, and she has it cut every 6 weeks, she doesn't understand how much I want long hair!!! I have not had long hair in 6 years! I want it back!!

gillybeanxo3921
December 19th, 2012, 04:21 PM
my family doesn't get it either! They think I'm out of my mind, and don't understand why I get so upset every time I get it trimmed.

MaryMarx
December 23rd, 2012, 01:30 PM
I just did my last trim... and I realized, I love to trim my hair. I have no idea how I'll manage a year without it... :confused:

Maverick494
December 23rd, 2012, 01:41 PM
My progress has been so slow with my usual trim every 3/4 months mantra, I'm contemplating on joining this club. I've been stuck at waist forever and I really want to get to hip for once. I haven't had a trim since the summer, so I think my next trim will be summer 2013, to even up the ends and get rid of splits before I go on holiday. Up until then, up it is. I'm going to need some bun inspiration to keep it exciting haha.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 23rd, 2012, 01:48 PM
I was talking to my sister this morning wondering whether I should get a small trim ready for the 2013 no trims thing and she said,"for goodness sake why are you making such a big deal over a trim - if you need a trim, get a trim, you probably don't even know how to tell if you need one anyway."
She just doesn't understand.... AND she used to be a hairdresser!

gillybeanxo3921
December 23rd, 2012, 03:58 PM
I just did my last trim... and I realized, I love to trim my hair. I have no idea how I'll manage a year without it... :confused:

Same. I trim my hair, way too much. I'm hoping I'll learn some self discipline from this.

I was talking to my sister this morning wondering whether I should get a small trim ready for the 2013 no trims thing and she said,"for goodness sake why are you making such a big deal over a trim - if you need a trim, get a trim, you probably don't even know how to tell if you need one anyway."
She just doesn't understand.... AND she used to be a hairdresser!

Hahahah that's horrible!

MaryMarx
December 24th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Same. I trim my hair, way too much. I'm hoping I'll learn some self discipline from this.

Definitely a good way to practice self discipline!

Nique1202
December 24th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Did my last trim with the Feye self-trim so that hopefully as it grows out I'll have a slight U hemline. If not, it'll still be tidier than before. haha I'm glad I don't have any layers to contend with this time. I can get them in later if I want, but I got so frustrated with layers popping out of braids and buns last time I had long-ish hair.

Currently sitting at 17.5. I know I'll hit APL (22 inches on me) by summer, but I'm excited to get past BSL (26 inches). I might even encounter a miracle and make it to my waist (29 inches, I'm high-waisted, but that means it's just 11.5 inches to go!) before next Christmas!

Keeping my fingers crossed, but as long as it grows out healthy and I can start doing buns by the summer to keep it off my neck and tidy, I'll be happy. ;)

silkreel
December 25th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Ha! I did this in 2011. It's tough, I have naturally strong, healthy hair that is not prone to damage, but you'll find that at the 9 month mark... your ends and hair deteriorate into something quite unpleasant. All the best to your ambitious folk, though!

Zindell
December 25th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Oh, I am so concidering this! I usually do a small trim every third or fourth month. (My DD trimming off about 2 - 3 cm each time = 1 inch). But that is pretty much taking off half of the progress, and I want it to be longer. Now! ;)

If I don't trim at all during 2013, that'll mean about 18 cm (= 7 inches) longer hair and I will hit my goal of waist length hair. (It is currently a about BSL, longer than on my profile pic)
I have never had such long hair and I think I'll be content stopping at waist and just trim off the new growth now and then to keep it healthy.

I have wispy bangs that I'll keep trimming though, even if I won't trim the length of my hair.

If I join... I have six days to make my mind up now :p

Coolcombination
December 25th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Sorry to be a pain but does this challenge mean that even if your ends get straggly, thin and needing a trim that you won't trim? Even if you gain length it means that you'll have to cut half of the growth back to regain thickness? Jus curious x

oktobergoud
December 25th, 2012, 05:26 AM
Sorry to be a pain but does this challenge mean that even if your ends get straggly, thin and needing a trim that you won't trim? Even if you gain length it means that you'll have to cut half of the growth back to regain thickness? Jus curious x

I guess that depends.. in my case, if my ends get straggly and thin I WILL trim them! The health of my hair is always the number one priority! But, like someone else said, I'm a bit addicted to trimming. I have trimmed way too much last year! I, personally, will S&D to keep my hair as healthy as possible!

I mean, I guess this challenge is just for fun? It's not like you're not allowed to trim as soon as you join, it's just that you 'fail' to complete the challenge if you trim ;) Well that's how I see it :)

Sarahlabyrinth
December 25th, 2012, 09:47 PM
I decided while I was away at Christmas that I was going to buy some scissors (the shops here where I live don't seem to have hair cutting scissors) and do a half inch small trim to even up my ends a little ready for the no-trims 2013 thing. I went down to the mall while I was away, fought my way through the pre-Christmas crowds, bought a few groceries then as I was walking out was waylaid by a very charming and handsome gentleman selling manicure thingys, we chatted for a while, then I left without buying his stuff, and when I was halfway home remembered that I hadn't bought the scissors.

That was my last opportunity to buy them before 2013. So I guess I won't be doing any last minute trims after all. Oh well...

NoRush
December 26th, 2012, 04:27 AM
I'm in! I normally trim every 6/8 months but this last trim was not really "necessary", ends were sill thick and I had very few split ends, so I think it souldn't be too bad to stretch it a bit further :o It's just as well that I got it done just two weeks ago ;) If I get a nice growth spurt I might even make it to waist by next Christmas (all of 10" to go so I'm not really holding my breath but it could happen.... right?? :p)

List of things I'll need:
- Absolutely need to find coconut oil.
- Bun friendly hairtoys (I'm really curious abut spinpins but not available here... *sigh*)
- Commit to nightly braiding.

I think that's good for starters, we'll see how it gets along :) Good luck everyone!!

Nique1202
December 26th, 2012, 07:21 AM
List of things I'll need:
- Absolutely need to find coconut oil.
- Bun friendly hairtoys (I'm really curious abut spinpins but not available here... *sigh*)
- Commit to nightly braiding.

You might be surprised where you can find spin pins. I'm not sure about your particular situation, but I've seen them almost everywhere that carries any hair accessory (pharmacies, WalMart-type stores, even a little store at the local mall that sells mostly jewelry and scarves). If all else fails, if you have a credit card or PayPal account set up to your bank account, and if you don't mind waiting for shipping, eBay has lots of affordable-looking search results for "spin pins hair". :)

NoRush
December 26th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I live in Italy... in a small town at that, I think ebay might be my best bet :) I'll def look out for them

gillybeanxo3921
December 26th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Okay, right now, my hair is nearing 26", so, even if I only gain a minimum of .5" a month, I'll be 32" by the end of this year. That's well past waist :)

I do tend to stretch my hair when I measured it (a complication only recently discovered) so a bit past waist will probably be closer to unstretched waist anyways. This should be a no fail plan! Especially since I'm almost guaranteed to get more than .5" a month (stretched).

Iaine
December 26th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Okay, right now, my hair is nearing 26", so, even if I only gain a minimum of .5" a month, I'll be 32" by the end of this year. That's well past waist :)

I do tend to stretch my hair when I measured it (a complication only recently discovered) so a bit past waist will probably be closer to unstretched waist anyways. This should be a no fail plan! Especially since I'm almost guaranteed to get more than .5" a month (stretched).

My hair is at 26" as well. Let's head toward waist length together. :)

gillybeanxo3921
December 27th, 2012, 04:47 PM
My hair is at 26" as well. Let's head toward waist length together. :)

Yayyyy :D My hair is already longer than when I decided on no trims. And the year hasn't even started yet!

rtree721
December 27th, 2012, 05:17 PM
I am a serial non-trimmer so I'll join this challenge but it will be too easy for me : ). I just did my first micro trim in over a year and I could wait a long time before I trim again.

LaurelSpring
December 27th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Just did my last trim of 2012. Im pretty sure I can make it to at least March. I will reevaluate then. Baby steps!

AceOfCurls
December 27th, 2012, 10:02 PM
I've decided not to trim my hair this year, so I'm going on a second year of no trimming. I'm just so excited to have my hair practically at tailbone that I can't imagine going back to hip or something. I just need to keep the relationship with my hair exciting, so I don't cut it. So far I've done that with henna, but I plan to buy some hair toys and a silk pillow case. This year is going to be a real challenge.

Nellon
December 28th, 2012, 01:33 AM
I might try it this year again, last year I chickened out :) My hair is SL and well... could use some growing... I'll do a small trim before new years eve.

gillybeanxo3921
December 28th, 2012, 06:13 AM
I'm thinking after this year, I might do a six month no trims challenge. I'm not sure yet.

I'm definitely going to need a trim after this year, but to make up for that I'm going to need to refrain trimming for a while after. I don't want my hair any longer than tailbone, which is about 36" on me, so I suppose I'll probably go for another year and then quit whenever I reach tailbone. Either that, or wear my hair up for the remainder of the year, which isn't a bad idea.

I don't know. I'll figure it out when I get there :D

Sunny_side_up
December 28th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I'm going to join! :) I had a little trim in early Nov, then beginning of Dec a sbstantially larger cut!(blunt ends). My hair definately needed it after some rough treatment from summer onward... So 2013 shall be trim free! I wont be using heat on my hair and no hair dye. Have improved the way i eat a couple months ago and encouraged by newly popping up mini hairs :D No scissors in the coming year! :)

kaydana
December 28th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I'm in! As nice as freshly trimmed ends look, I never wear my hair down, so it's just losing length. S&D only for me!

letdownyourhair
December 28th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I'm new to this forum so this may sound like a stupid question, but I'm curious. Isn't it good for your hair to get a trim every 6 months give or take so that if you have really bad split ends, it won't split even more? I usually S&D but sometimes I go to a local hair shop and just ask for a few centimeters off overall so anything I missed is taken care of.

NoRush
December 28th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I'm new to this forum so this may sound like a stupid question, but I'm curious. Isn't it good for your hair to get a trim every 6 months give or take so that if you have really bad split ends, it won't split even more? I usually S&D but sometimes I go to a local hair shop and just ask for a few centimeters off overall so anything I missed is taken care of.

Yes, but first, trims are only as necessary as you deem them to be and while it's true that split ends run up the hairshaft the challenge is to take care of hair so well that you'll cause as little damage as possible as to not need any trims, a few split ends are unavoidable but just how many and in what amount of time depends on how you treat your hair, so if there are only a few splits there's no point in trimming :o

ETA: And it's not a stupid question, if one has doubts there's no point in keeping them is there? ;)

gillybeanxo3921
December 28th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Yes, but first, trims are only as necessary as you deem them to be and while it's true that split ends run up the hairshaft the challenge is to take care of hair so well that you'll cause as little damage as possible as to not need any trims, a few split ends are unavoidable but just how many and in what amount of time depends on how you treat your hair, so if there are only a few splits there's no point in trimming :o

ETA: And it's not a stupid question, if one has doubts there's no point in keeping them is there? ;)

Yes, like what NoRush said, as long as you take care of your hair you should be able to go without trimming for a while :)

Iaine
December 28th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Yayyyy :D My hair is already longer than when I decided on no trims. And the year hasn't even started yet!

That's awesome! I've been trying to measure my hair monthly, but it's so tough because my hair curls up a bunch, and it feels like I have to stretch it for ages before I can measure it's full length.

gillybeanxo3921
December 29th, 2012, 10:46 AM
That's awesome! I've been trying to measure my hair monthly, but it's so tough because my hair curls up a bunch, and it feels like I have to stretch it for ages before I can measure it's full length.

I have a similar problem. I need to stretch my hair to get a consistent measurement because somedays my hair is curliest than others. It's kind of a pain, because even though my hair is 26" it only looks 24 or 25 sometimes. Blah I hate shrinkage. It's only gonna get worse as it grows out, too. Since I've noticed my shrinkage issue, I've decided to start waiting to call milestones until I reach it unstretched. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to reach waist unstretched.

Mischamiu
December 29th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I'm considering the no trims challenge :) My hair feels soo short, I just want it to get long... I'm going to wait 6 months and see, maybe search and destroy will do?

gillybeanxo3921
December 29th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I'm considering the no trims challenge :) My hair feels soo short, I just want it to get long... I'm going to wait 6 months and see, maybe search and destroy will do?

good idea :) If you like it, after six months you can continue, and if you don't, you can trim. I'm doing that next year.

Brenna
December 29th, 2012, 05:56 PM
i would love to join, AFTER I get my hair trimmed, which will be who knows when hehe.

gillybeanxo3921
December 30th, 2012, 07:15 AM
i would love to join, AFTER I get my hair trimmed, which will be who knows when hehe.

hahah okay well you're welcome to join.

June
December 30th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I'd like to join the no trim in 2013, if I can? I am growing out my hair from bald a few years ago, and only had one trim in 2012, April when I evened out the hemline. Only s&d in 2013 though. And with my hair finally long enough for some updos, I'm hoping 2013 will. Be a year of good growth :)

SerinaDaith
December 30th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Alright I have dusted and am now ready to commit. I self trimmed and while I am sure it is not all one length my hair is either up or doing it's naturally curl thing which means even the most even hem would still look wonky on me.

Nellon
December 30th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Just did my final trim. It looks really nice now somehow, SL and blunt hemline. Love it! Here we go 2013! :)

Meli
December 30th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I'm thinking about joining this challenge. I'm not sure I can go the entire year though, my ends are very thin already as my last trim was 9 months ago. I'm ok with thin ends since I'm going for terminal anyway, but I am concerned about potential damage/breakage as my ends get older. They are in decent condition right now and I don't want to lose any length at the moment, but I might have to trim if they turn to velcro or start breaking in the future. Time will tell, I guess. I'll try to go as long as possible without trims. Maybe I'll be able to keep the ends reasonably healthy and manage to go the whole year.

Ravenwind
December 30th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I think I MIGHT be able to go without trims next year.. this year I only had 3 or 4 trims. I just hope my hair doesn't get split or damaged all of a sudden. I'm trying to grow out my layers though so I may need trims to keep them from looking scraggly.

Prettychild
December 30th, 2012, 02:09 PM
No trimming here. Mind you. I actually nearly shaved my hair off 2 months ago so I've only got 2.5" growth. However I am going strong for the new year and NO trimming until...what? 2015?

gillybeanxo3921
December 30th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I'd like to join the no trim in 2013, if I can? I am growing out my hair from bald a few years ago, and only had one trim in 2012, April when I evened out the hemline. Only s&d in 2013 though. And with my hair finally long enough for some updos, I'm hoping 2013 will. Be a year of good growth :)

Yah sure anyone can join! Good luck(:

gillybeanxo3921
December 31st, 2012, 03:12 PM
Okay so this is it! I'm going to go take a picture right now so that next year I can see how far I've come.

Good luck everyone!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 31st, 2012, 03:57 PM
OK here we go for 2013!

This is my hair this morning, 26.5 - 27 inches, hoping for 33 (waist) by the end of the year! http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/FC1Jan2013265inches_zps78012aaf.jpg

ETA: I just realised that I only have around 6 inches to go before I reach waist, so since I have until the end of this year to get there, I guess I will make my goal - yippee!!

gillybeanxo3921
January 1st, 2013, 07:34 AM
http://s1.postimage.org/rpbmwd83f/December_31_2012_start_length_26_inches.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/rpbmwd83f/)
Waist is only about three inches away! This whole time I've been thinking my hair is much shorter than it actually is. It's a good feeling to realize it has grown.

alyanna
January 1st, 2013, 08:43 AM
I'm totally in!

Scissors have not touched my hair for 18 months now!!! So I will be getting a trim tomorrow, then no trims for 2013!

Woohoo!

PixxieStix
January 1st, 2013, 10:52 AM
Oooo, pictures, good idea! I'll have to take one later today as reference for this time next year. :D

Kome
January 1st, 2013, 03:39 PM
Okay... I can totally TRY... but considering that I still have damaged hair growing out, I dunno. There is a lot less of it, but it tends to break off easily. If I can though, I definitely will. :D

I have been stuck at waist, then hip, then back to waist for the last year and a half because of so many trims. I did a HUGE six inch trim a few months ago and am JUST back to hip length. I am hoping SO. BAD. to get to tailbone this year. *crosses fingers*

thisisnttakenye
January 1st, 2013, 03:52 PM
I am going to try this. Many times I get frustrated with s&d, but for my hair... I'll try ;)

arjay.d
January 1st, 2013, 06:16 PM
I had a half inch trim on my birthday (29th). I'm ready for a year without trims. On to tailbone!

xoxophelia
January 1st, 2013, 07:41 PM
Okay sorry if the quality isn't great but I wanted to put something together for going a year without trimming. These were just clips my camera happened to catch when I was recording for something else. This was also after having my hair in a bun all day and a very long day at uni and work. Basically the result of not trimming for a year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0V3fBI5MiA&feature=youtu.be

A link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0V3fBI5MiA&feature=youtu.be

Sarahlabyrinth
January 1st, 2013, 09:03 PM
Just beautiful! You should do a longer video showing more hair! Well done!

The-Young-Maid
January 1st, 2013, 09:37 PM
I'm so in!! My last trim was jan 2012. I really want to make it to classic this year!:cheer:

-j-
January 2nd, 2013, 05:25 AM
Iīm in! :)

I hope to reach mid thigh this year, letīs see what happens. I have never before reached my terminal length so i donīt know how long itīll grow. My last trim was in 2009.

AnnaB
January 2nd, 2013, 05:45 AM
so excited! I have not had a trim for 3 months already.

2 days down, 363 to go!!
/
my mum asks me every day now 'Are you sure about this? do you really want long hair? I don't like your hair long, maybe re-conciser?'-come on mother, give me a chance!

NoRush
January 2nd, 2013, 08:05 AM
Oooo, pictures, good idea! I'll have to take one later today as reference for this time next year. :D

^This! I'll take mine today, after I wash my hair ;)

loveisdivine
January 2nd, 2013, 09:23 AM
Im in! Getting married in September and want it as long as possible for then. Hopefully waist. I trimmed about 2 inches 3 weeks ago. So I should be ok with just S&D. Ill take a pic tonight after washing :)

bunzfan
January 2nd, 2013, 10:22 AM
As i was a compulsive trimmer last year i want some serious length, i manged 3 months between trims last time but, i want to go at least 5 months i think i will need all your support.

RubyTuesday
January 2nd, 2013, 10:53 AM
Okay sorry if the quality isn't great but I wanted to put something together for going a year without trimming. These were just clips my camera happened to catch when I was recording for something else. This was also after having my hair in a bun all day and a very long day at uni and work. Basically the result of not trimming for a year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0V3fBI5MiA&feature=youtu.be

A link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0V3fBI5MiA&feature=youtu.be

Your hair is disgustingly beautiful and I am green with envy :thud:

Sillage
January 2nd, 2013, 10:59 AM
hmm, I'm not so sure I can do this challenge but I'd like to try. I really hate the way fairy tale ends look on me but maybe it wouldn't be so bad... I could really use the length!

loveisdivine
January 2nd, 2013, 02:57 PM
Here's my starting pic. It's a bit frizzy but hey ho!

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o369/loveisdivine_photos/A0D2EE9E-A74A-44A0-B49F-0222D37BC53D-19291-0000167D20905BB9.jpg

xoxophelia
January 2nd, 2013, 06:09 PM
Your hair is disgustingly beautiful and I am green with envy :thud:

I owe it only to benign neglect and patience :).. I always figured my hair was plain and boring haha

Nique1202
January 3rd, 2013, 07:10 AM
I let my hair dry loose last night instead of pulled into braids or a bun, and it dried a full 1/4" shorter than it was yesterday. I feel cheated! It also has a really big flip at the bottom that I'd have to heat style out, so length pics are a no-go. :( Oh well, I'm starting to feel more comfortable with how it looks worn down, so there's definite progress with the growth, and that's what no-trims is about.

NoRush
January 3rd, 2013, 09:36 AM
Here's my starting picture :)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g168/asukachan87/DSC_0116_zpscf51a5a9-1_zpsb940b549.jpg

CiannaitTrozel
January 3rd, 2013, 11:46 AM
I'm on board! I went 8 months last time. Sadly I had a horrible accident envoling a 4 year old and sparklers so I just lost 5 inches! But I'm getting married in December and would love to show some long locks off.

thisisnttakenye
January 3rd, 2013, 02:22 PM
Sadly I had a horrible accident envoling a 4 year old and sparklers so I just lost 5 inches! But I'm getting married in December and would love to show some long locks off.

That sounds terrible! Better luck this time.

rock007junkie
January 3rd, 2013, 02:34 PM
I've done my first seach and destroy of the year...not as bad I as I thought it would be. I think if I keep this up for a while and not mind the fairy tale ends I could definitely make it the whole year.

gillybeanxo3921
January 4th, 2013, 02:41 PM
yah I'm just trying not to obsess too much. If I make it the year, I should have plenty to trim and start afresh without split ends.

nikkidondon
January 4th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Hi guys! I just recently joined. I haven't had a trim for around 6 months and I am obsessing over whether I should get one or not. Based on my profile picture, what do you think? Any help would be appreciated :]

nikkidondon
January 4th, 2013, 03:35 PM
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=d6b8f49fa6&view=att&th=13c07ad34fd8b953&attid=0.0&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P8vT-z9JXTpoQcIc2DDMLKZ&sadet=1357338810019&sads=pCQqD4HQ-DdH7f3LOhqf2MD8OZg

Islandgrrl
January 4th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I'll give this a try. My goal is fingertip this year, so why not? My ends are in decent shape. :)

gillybeanxo3921
January 6th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Hi guys! I just recently joined. I haven't had a trim for around 6 months and I am obsessing over whether I should get one or not. Based on my profile picture, what do you think? Any help would be appreciated :]

I think you're good :)

Oksana
January 11th, 2013, 01:40 PM

Sorry I didn't post earlier. I ended up doing my trim on the 31st and took off around 2 inches. So this is my starting picture:

http://i46.tinypic.com/i5yjoz.jpg

I'm looking forward to having the length of my signature pic back!

RubyTuesday
January 11th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Sorry I didn't post earlier. I ended up doing my trim on the 31st and took off around 2 inches. So this is my starting picture:

http://i46.tinypic.com/i5yjoz.jpg

I'm looking forward to having the length of my signature pic back!

Oksana I think you may have the most beautiful hair I have ever seen. It is perfection. What a lucky lady you are. :heart::love:

If you ever want to shave your head let me know so I can make a wig from your locks! lol

gillybeanxo3921
January 11th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I agree your hair is beautiful!

I might dye my hair lighter some day, but for now it's not happening hahah.

Good luck! :)

Iaine
January 11th, 2013, 04:24 PM
I dyed my hair red! My ends weren't too happy with me at first, but I've managed to save them. No desperately necessary trims in my future. :D

Sarahlabyrinth
January 11th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Oksana your hair is absolutely GORGEOUS! ..Can I have it?

Oksana
January 12th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Oksana I think you may have the most beautiful hair I have ever seen. It is perfection. What a lucky lady you are. :heart::love:

If you ever want to shave your head let me know so I can make a wig from your locks! lol

I agree your hair is beautiful!

I might dye my hair lighter some day, but for now it's not happening hahah.

Good luck! :)

Oksana your hair is absolutely GORGEOUS! ..Can I have it?

Aww thanks ladies, here's to gaining some serious length :beerchug:

RubyTuesday
January 12th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Is it your natural colour Oksana? People would pay a lot of money to have your colour, length and those lovely waves. I think I would spend all my time looking in the mirror if I were you! :lol:

Oksana
January 12th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Is it your natural colour Oksana? People would pay a lot of money to have your colour, length and those lovely waves. I think I would spend all my time looking in the mirror if I were you! :lol:

Yes it is :) my hair is completely virgin down to APL. The bottom part was previously bleached because I dyed it brown a few years ago. I was white blonde until my teens.