PDA

View Full Version : Trimming grows hair faster? ? ?

arylkin
August 23rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
I haven't trimmed my hair in months and months. My ends are healthy (and now that I've discovered coconut oil, they're even happier), but I wonder about the old adage, "Trimming your hair makes it grow faster".

I don't really see how that would possibly be the case (although I understand the necessity of trimming damaged ends). Does anyone have any wisdom about the necessity or benefits of trimming your hair?

Thanks!

manderly
August 23rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
I think that trimming gets rid of damage that would eventually break off and possibly lose more length than a trim would.

danacc
August 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
If your ends are damage-free, and you're happy with your hemline, I know of no reason for you to trim.

Trims will help if damaged ends are causing more damage to themselves and to neighboring hair strands. This happens because the hair becomes rough and tangly when damaged. I suspect that's where the adage about trimming comes from.

ChloeDharma
August 24th, 2008, 02:45 AM
If your ends are damage-free, and you're happy with your hemline, I know of no reason for you to trim.

Trims will help if damaged ends are causing more damage to themselves and to neighboring hair strands. This happens because the hair becomes rough and tangly when damaged. I suspect that's where the adage about trimming comes from.

I think this is the most likely explanation....before my fairytailing experiment i found that 3 months after a trim my ends would start getting tangly and combing and brushing would always produce snaps, which would hinder growth if left to carry on. Now my ends are virgin i'll have to see how long it takes for that to start happening.
But for some reason there does often seem to be a growth boost just after a trim that seems not able to be explained by the tangling and breakage idea.....i think hair can be quite mystical sometimes.

jel
August 24th, 2008, 03:03 AM

That is my personal opinion too.

You may want to check out the No-Trimming Club in my siggy :D