PDA

View Full Version : Would this style with bangs be difficult to cut myself?

DarleneH
December 1st, 2012, 08:33 AM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p43/Darbla/Hair-bangs.jpg

Love it. I'm handy enough with cutting now that I know not to go too short, etc. I just want some general guidance for those bangs, and maybe a little bit of layering around to face so it flows into the rest of my hair and doesn't look carelessly hacked on.

This is me:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p43/Darbla/Pic-resized-50percent-1.jpg

I don't currently have the shorter pieces around my forehead that picture shows (it's longer) but I'm giving you an overall idea of my hair.

Actually, now that I look at that pic of me, that would probably style into what Jessica Alba has above, and my cowlick plus combing it up just has the bangs fluffed up instead of down over forehead. The back of my hair is almost at waist length now too. But I didn't cut that so I still need some idea of how to get back to that

MeganE
December 1st, 2012, 09:02 AM
I too would like some guidelines about how to self-cut layers into hair. I feel like I've exhausted every possible resource, and there's just nothing I can find about doing it yourself. When I do my own "layers" in the front, which aren't looking so hot at the moment, I use a combination of pulling the layers to the top of my head and cutting it off, to start with a guide. Sort of like the self-trim with layers method of cutting off the top of the ponytail. But I only use the hair that I want to be layered in front. Then if I want shorter sections, I pull those up and trim those off. Then I try to even it out by using the downward slice you see in hair salons.

Sometimes it comes out great. Sometimes I can't get it right and I have to put away the scissors and let it grow a couple inches and try again in a few months. I am hoping that eventually I'll develop a method I can repeat, because as much as I like the versatility that one-length hair provides for braiding and updos, I have to have hair that looks good when it's down. It's so thick that it just hangs around my round face without layers. I keep re-thinking going to a salon and having them do it, and then maybe I'll be able to maintain it myself. But I'm afraid they'll mess it up. So I'm sort of stuck! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread though.

ETA: Ah. You weren't really asking about the layers, more so the bangs. They look to me like straight across bangs that are really long, right at the eyelash line. They look like they've been thinned out with those thinning sheers. You can get them at Sally's. I wouldn't want them myself though, they look like they'd need to be styled heavily and even then they'd probably be in your eyes all the time. Sorry, that's probably not much help.

jojo
December 1st, 2012, 05:31 PM
To be honest if you want some layers id leave it to the professionals, it will save the tears if it goes wrong. A feinge is pretty easy to cut in as long as you dont cut too wide and end up with the mullet affect! Your hairs pretty as it is and cowlicks can act strange with a fringe too, i have one in the same place and when i had my fringe i had to wash and blow dry it every day. Congratulations on being so close to waist!

Sillage
December 1st, 2012, 05:36 PM
Wow Jessica Alba looks fantastic in that photo!

Personally I'd have my hair cut by a pro, but that's just me.

ArienEllariel
December 1st, 2012, 08:18 PM
I followed Torrin Paige's bang instructions when I had bangs. They're pretty close to that.

Lostsoule77
December 1st, 2012, 08:21 PM
Those bangs look like they are cut almost straight across. The middle actually looks a tad shorter. Most of them seem to be to just below eye level, with ends curled, and parted to the side. Should, theoretically, be easy.

spirals
December 1st, 2012, 11:57 PM
I did that cut in April. I really wish I could explain how. All I know is that I cut the bangs first, then pulled the sides almost horizontal in front and snipped the ends vertically. I am good at eyeballing it to make it even.

Loveisaverb
December 2nd, 2012, 02:39 AM
Just look like long blunt bangs that were parted down the middle.
When I was cutting my layers again that had grown out from around the sides of my face, I'd just cut from an angle and then match the sides from the face so they look even.
Its very easy to mess up and end up with a lopsided mess.
But maybe just check out some youtube tutorials on cutting face framing layers and pick the ones you like best but aren't damaging with thinning shears either.

MeganE
December 2nd, 2012, 07:02 PM
Wow Jessica Alba looks fantastic in that photo!

Personally I'd have my hair cut by a pro, but that's just me.

Threadjack: I was wondering who it was! Thanks for naming her, I'd gone and decided it was Jennifer Lopez. Endjack.