PDA

View Full Version : Oily and fine hair problem

Birdluvr
December 1st, 2012, 12:57 AM
Hello! I used to have tail bone length through out the years and now I'm down to the elbow length cause of how thin my hair gets. I'm a thin/fine and oily sensitive scalp. Pretty blonde hair color. I cannot seem to find my ideal shampoo just because the ingredients are way to harsh for my scalp which means a lot of hair shedding and build up. So many shampoo's out there I don't know which one's to choose. I've tried many home made remedies and shampoo but it's always showing the different reaction:confused:. May I ask what's your secrets behind to having gorgeous shiny thick locks of hair?

Thank you! :)

hairhair
December 1st, 2012, 01:50 AM
My hair is fine and quite oily too.

Regarding the oil problem: You're right in thinking that the solution is a less harsh shampoo. I use a shampoo that is low in SLS and other sulphates and only have to wash every 2-3 days. Your scalp might produce more oil in response to harsh shampoo, so it's worth trying a gentler one. It might lead to a temporary increase in oil production but give try a gentler shampoo for a couple of weeks to see if it works. Conditioner only (CO) washing is more extreme option in the same vein, but has not worked for me (probably a better choice for dry hair).

Fine-ness: I've noticed that using some temporary (8-wash etc) deposit only dyes can lead to the perception of increased strand thickness. Ones that advertise as "conditioning dye" (I use Schwarzkopf LIVE colours) also make the hair more slippery and potentially less prone to tangling, like leave-in conditioner but for a longer time. If you don't want to change your natural colour, you could use a similar colour to your natural colour and still get the conditioning/thickness benefits. Blonde hair is also cool as deposit-only dyes will really show up so you can change your colour a lot if you want, without damage! However, be careful as the dye does warn that it will last for longer than 8 washes on lighter hair -- and I find red lasts about a month on my dark brown!

To avoid tangling, fine hair should be braided or otherwise held at night (ponytailing is rarely enough). You might already do this. If you find a single English braid uncomfortable, you could experiment with double braids. Braids without a tie at the base (not starting from a ponytail in other words) tend to be more comfy for sleeping. They do come apart a little at night but this shouldn't lead to significant tangles.

sakuraemily
December 1st, 2012, 02:35 AM
You might want to try out soapnut liquid. That is what I've been using for several months now . you can look up the soapnut liquid thread.

Becky9679
December 1st, 2012, 02:42 AM
Conditioner only works for me, some fine straight-haired people find that conditioner only is too heavy for them and a few people think it might contribute to increased shedding but I've never had either of these problems. If you do try conditioner only remember to pick one that has no silicones as they will leave a buildup on your hair. Happily silicone free tend to be super cheap :)

Head on over to the conditioner only thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898) if you want to find out more

PrairieRose
December 1st, 2012, 05:41 AM
I use Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bars. I have stopped using SLS for over a year now and I can tell the difference on my hair. It is not stripped at all and I am able to wash every 2-3 days also.

ejking2
December 1st, 2012, 09:29 AM
My hair is baby-fine and oily. I'm still experimenting, but I believe I am coming close to finding the ideal routine for my hair.
My scalp gets itchy, bumpy, and scabby. I believe I have seborrheic dermatitis. I've started using a medicated shampoo called Sebulex with good results.
If I can get my scalp problems under enough control, I will start using a gentle clear shampoo for some of my washes. I've been on the lookout for gentle SLS/SLES-free shampoos with as few ingredients as possible, in order to prevent buildup or reactions from the scalp. So far I've found a couple that look good, one called Sebamed and the other Free & Clear, sold at CVS and Walgreens respectively. These might work for you.
I find it beneficial to shampoo twice, diluting it heavily the first time. The first wash gets rid of most of the sebum, so that the second one can really clean the scalp skin. I wash my hair about every three days. Trying to stretch it longer has not been helpful for me. My scalp doesn't like it, plus I get greasy no matter what.
Also, for a sensitive scalp, I would recommend not putting anything besides shampoo (such as oil or conditioner) on the scalp. I only use conditioner from my shoulders down.

Birdluvr
December 1st, 2012, 03:14 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice! :D I appreciate it and I'll try out the things you girls recommended, see if that'll work.

lapushka
December 1st, 2012, 03:34 PM
My scalp is oily and I have bouts of SD as well, and I for one need a harsh cleanser for my scalp and we also need to lather up twice. I love my sl(e)s shampoos.

If you can't stand anything harsh, just go with any sulfate-free shampoo. There's tons of those on the market.