PDA

View Full Version : The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179

Frankenstein
November 2nd, 2016, 12:50 PM
mindwiped ?

Also I didn't even bother using conditioner last night. I was too tired, and I'm getting sick x-x Woke up at 4am with a sore throat. So haircare will probably consists of putting it in a braid and forgetting it exists.

I've been very sick for a week so I've been neglecting my hair a lot more than usual. It sucks, but sometimes you just don't have the energy :(

Silverbleed
November 2nd, 2016, 01:30 PM
I knew my hair would grow slower during fall and winter but I didn't expect it would stop completely. It sucks :wail:

languagenut
November 2nd, 2016, 02:59 PM
My mom wreaked pandemonium on Facebook yesterday :D. It all started with my brother; he's been wearing a shoulder-length mullet for the past few years, but decided he wanted it cut short again, partly because it kept getting overgrown before my mom got around to trimming it, and partly because he recently turned 21 and wants to look more mature. So anyway, my mom posted a picture of the scissors on Facebook, with the caption "this is about to happen", as a bit of drama, since people have been taking note of my brother's hair for quite a while.

But it soon became apparent from the comments that people thought she was cutting her OWN hair (her hair is long like mine, but brown, straight, and not as thick). So my mom and I found that vastly amusing, and decided to "play along" :p. So when she was done cutting his hair, she posted a picture of herself holding the 10" or so tail of hair, with the caption "Bwahahaa!". Her hair was in a braid, so it wasn't visible from the front. So then others of our relatives were saying things like "What NOOOOOOOO!" and "Tell me you didn't cut it all off!" And then she left them in suspense while we ate dinner.

After that she finally posted the before-and-after pictures of my brother's hair, and told them they all could relax now. :p. And commented "y'all are hilarious!" on the picture of her holding the hair. It was so hilarious, I almost died laughing, I still might! :rollin:

I also got a trim, I think it was a bit more than the ½" I requested, but not too bad. It does mess up my Seasonal Growth Project, especially since I didn't measure beforehand, but oh well.

HeartofHaleth
November 2nd, 2016, 03:47 PM
I've been feeling like I'm hardly gaining any ground lately. It's so encouraging to look back at length shots and realize how far I've come!

vampyyri
November 2nd, 2016, 07:51 PM
I think I have a love/hate relationship with Mane n' Tail conditioner... might try it as a first C in my WCC routine instead of second next week. As a second C my hair smells like horse, is poofy, and I don't like it :lol:

Might be good for a first C because the amazing slip and it could replace my V05 Strawberry once a week... not sure why I did it for a second C honestly

irishsapphire
November 2nd, 2016, 08:21 PM
My mom wreaked pandemonium on Facebook yesterday :D. It all started with my brother; he's been wearing a shoulder-length mullet for the past few years, but decided he wanted it cut short again, partly because it kept getting overgrown before my mom got around to trimming it, and partly because he recently turned 21 and wants to look more mature. So anyway, my mom posted a picture of the scissors on Facebook, with the caption "this is about to happen", as a bit of drama, since people have been taking note of my brother's hair for quite a while.

But it soon became apparent from the comments that people thought she was cutting her OWN hair (her hair is long like mine, but brown, straight, and not as thick). So my mom and I found that vastly amusing, and decided to "play along" :p. So when she was done cutting his hair, she posted a picture of herself holding the 10" or so tail of hair, with the caption "Bwahahaa!". Her hair was in a braid, so it wasn't visible from the front. So then others of our relatives were saying things like "What NOOOOOOOO!" and "Tell me you didn't cut it all off!" And then she left them in suspense while we ate dinner.

After that she finally posted the before-and-after pictures of my brother's hair, and told them they all could relax now. :p. And commented "y'all are hilarious!" on the picture of her holding the hair. It was so hilarious, I almost died laughing, I still might! :rollin:

I also got a trim, I think it was a bit more than the ½" I requested, but not too bad. It does mess up my Seasonal Growth Project, especially since I didn't measure beforehand, but oh well.

:applause:applause:rollin: :rollin: I think I love your mom! Too hilarious!

My hair thought? I need to remember to pin my hair all the way up, coat collars are not good for the hairs at all.

Garnetgem
November 2nd, 2016, 09:30 PM
I have found out that wearing fleece jackets causes terrible static to the hair...but being cold now i have to wear them!

Nymphe
November 2nd, 2016, 09:42 PM
:applause:applause:rollin: :rollin: I think I love your mom! Too hilarious!

My hair thought? I need to remember to pin my hair all the way up, coat collars are not good for the hairs at all.

I have found out that wearing fleece jackets causes terrible static to the hair...but being cold now i have to wear them!

Can you drape a silk scarf around the collar?

lithostoic
November 2nd, 2016, 09:53 PM
mindwiped ?

Also I didn't even bother using conditioner last night. I was too tired, and I'm getting sick x-x Woke up at 4am with a sore throat. So haircare will probably consists of putting it in a braid and forgetting it exists.

Such regret. Maybe it'll be better behaved after being in a rope braid all night. Probably not tho since the length gets drier between washes. Will likely have to oil.

Apolli
November 3rd, 2016, 01:47 AM
LOL a itchy scarf!

But probably worth it if it keeps my neck warm as much as it does for my ears! :p

languagenut
November 3rd, 2016, 01:52 AM
mindwiped ?

Oh, that's no fun :-(. I hope you get well soon! :flower:

Andthetalltrees
November 3rd, 2016, 09:29 AM
My hair is long enough for English braids! I distinctly remember it being closer to BSL before I could last time but I'll take it haha

TatsuOni
November 3rd, 2016, 09:45 AM
I'm getting more and more lazy... I just postpone my hair washes more and more for every time:p Next time I've decided to hendigo my hair and I need and entire day for it, so it will be monday if I don't get any last minute work then. It will be 19 days since last hair wash then.

mizukitty
November 3rd, 2016, 12:47 PM
I've noticed some growth! I forgot that... hair tends to do that when we're not paying attention to it all the time! :D I also went in to remove some split ends and was pleasantly surprised to only find a handful. I think my hair is happy, despite the odd texture of certain areas.

summergame
November 3rd, 2016, 01:05 PM
Hate my hair the last time.. I spend so much money on it and I use good quality products and it still breaks off and doesn't grow fast at all! :(

lithostoic
November 3rd, 2016, 01:28 PM
I have acv now but idk what to do with it. What are the benefits of an acv rinse?

Of the Fae
November 3rd, 2016, 01:30 PM
Hm clarification? And I think I picked something up about shine, but I never tried it :) Let me know if it was awesome!

irishsapphire
November 3rd, 2016, 01:30 PM
Can you drape a silk scarf around the collar?

I bought a sort of silk scarf just for that purpose. I really should just be wearing it up in the winter and oiled ends to protect against the cold.... Maybe once my snoods get here, the protection of wearing it up with (so very hoping) the comfort of wearing it down

summergame
November 3rd, 2016, 01:32 PM
I have acv now but idk what to do with it. What are the benefits of an acv rinse?

You have to check this topic! :)
=> http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66002

Groovy Granny
November 3rd, 2016, 01:33 PM
What's with my cowlick coming back to life at the top left corner of my crown :confused:

It just SHOVES the surrounding hairs out of the way....what a bully :p :rollin:

littlestarface
November 3rd, 2016, 01:36 PM
What's with my cowlick coming back to life at the top left corner of my crown :confused:

It just SHOVES the surrounding hairs out of the way....what a bully :p :rollin:

:rollin: Lol

Groovy Granny
November 3rd, 2016, 02:07 PM
:rollin: Lol

LOL I had no other recourse than to call him out... he just showed up out of nowhere suddenly :wigtongue :lol:

vampyyri
November 3rd, 2016, 02:12 PM
LOL I had no other recourse than to call him out... he just showed up out of nowhere suddenly :wigtongue :lol:

This must have happened last night:

http://i.imgur.com/II9jLY7.png

Groovy Granny
November 3rd, 2016, 02:17 PM
This must have happened last night:

http://i.imgur.com/II9jLY7.png

ROFLOL YES...that MUST be what happened!

:rollin:

I am already dealing with a major asthma flare today...thanks (wheeze-cough-sputter-wheeze) :flowers: :lol:

HeartofHaleth
November 3rd, 2016, 02:40 PM

I do an ACV rinse every time I wash, and it gives me softness and shine, as well as reducing frizz. I dilute mine maybe 1:5? 1:6? Something like that.

vampyyri
November 3rd, 2016, 02:43 PM

I do an ACV rinse every time I wash, and it gives me softness and shine, as well as reducing frizz. I dilute mine maybe 1:5? 1:6? Something like that.

Yeah, be sure to dilute it quite a bit. And be careful! Coming from a fellow blondette, it can turn your hair brassy/reddish if the concentration is too high (but it does wash out).

ROFLOL YES...that MUST be what happened!

I am already dealing with a major asthma flare today...thanks (wheeze-cough-sputter-wheeze) :flowers: :lol:

Feel better, GG! :flower:

Groovy Granny
November 3rd, 2016, 02:47 PM

Thanks...I'll try :wink:

Sarahlabyrinth
November 3rd, 2016, 02:52 PM
Yeah, be sure to dilute it quite a bit. And be careful! Coming from a fellow blondette, it can turn your hair brassy/reddish if the concentration is too high (but it does wash out).

You can use white vinegar too, for results just as good; that's what I use and it doesn't stain hair at all.

Hope you feel better soon, GG :)

turtlelover
November 3rd, 2016, 07:44 PM
I've been able to go cone free since I've started using henna!

Groovy Granny
November 3rd, 2016, 07:46 PM
You can use white vinegar too, for results just as good; that's what I use and it doesn't stain hair at all.

Hope you feel better soon, GG :)

Thanks...I feel like I am fighting a virus :(
Hubby was sick all last week and he's still hacking at times (he has asthma too)
Thought I got away safely....not gonna happen.

vampyyri
November 3rd, 2016, 08:31 PM
Hubby was sick all last week and he's still hacking at times (he has asthma too)

Oh no!! I hope recovery is fast for you! Take care of yourself :grouphug:

Groovy Granny
November 3rd, 2016, 08:51 PM
Oh no!! I hope recovery is fast for you! Take care of yourself :grouphug:

Thanks ~ will do ((hugs))

summergame
November 4th, 2016, 02:35 AM

Wish you the best and hope you are better soon! :flower:

Groovy Granny
November 4th, 2016, 02:41 AM
Wish you the best and hope you are better soon! :flower:

Thank you ((hugs)) :)

JustPam
November 4th, 2016, 04:51 AM
I dunno what it is they put in Directions dye but it makes my hair feel awesome and smooth. A sign I should stay colourful??

Stub
November 4th, 2016, 05:53 PM
When all day you thought you had just 4 pins in your bun (that you kept pushing in) and while you are undoing it you find another! Hahaha a first for me!

irishsapphire
November 4th, 2016, 06:53 PM
YAY! Got my snoods in the mail today. And my first attempt at faux victory rolls was successful last night. So tomorrow, we will attempt an updo with a snood... I'm thinking more like pinning bangs back, adding hair net (to help contain my layers inside the snood) and snood. Nothing fancy but contained without pulling back into a bun. And hopefully no more rubbing in my jacket collars.....

spirals
November 4th, 2016, 07:15 PM
When all day you thought you had just 4 pins in your bun (that you kept pushing in) and while you are undoing it you find another! Hahaha a first for me!

Post when you find one a couple days later.:rollin:

Stub
November 4th, 2016, 07:36 PM
Post when you find one a couple days later.:rollin:

my hair is only BSL and not very thick! lol

Sapeli
November 5th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Today I've been singing (or actually hearing in my mind) :lala: Eric Clapton's old classic Let it grow and just noticed that it could be the anthem for LHC:
Let it grow, let it grow
Let it blossom, let it flow
in the sun, the rain, the snow
Hair :lol: is lovely, let it grow.

Apolli
November 5th, 2016, 03:21 PM
I think a good amount of my hair now is bsl :) going to let it be and call in 1-2 months time to give the upper layers a bit to catch up to the longest ones. Really happy to be done with that milestone and looking forward to waist because my torso is looooong so I think the worst parts of growing out my hair is past! Kinda hoping for hip at the end of 2017 if I protect my length well enough. Anything past waist would be a breeze lol

Garnetgem
November 5th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Today i said all casual to my mum...not sure how long i am going to grow it to yet and joked maybe floor length then i added oh no too long...she said why not? you go for it girl! i am like hmmm yeah perhaps its a good idea!

Eastbound&Down
November 5th, 2016, 04:33 PM
I've been running 2-3 times a week after work and my roots seem to be growing like crazy! I haven't really noticed any length gain yet but it's nice be see some progress. And it gives me a little motivation to keep up the hard work in the gym.

Shiranshoku
November 6th, 2016, 03:07 PM
My mom gave me one of her classic nonpliments the other day and it bothers me that I let it bother me.

My sis asked to see my hair, so I took in down and my mom said 'oh, your hair is pretty! Despite how much it's thinning out your ends still look relatively good. Looks like that's as long as it's going to get!'.

Now, my ends look great, I'm not close to terminal length, and the taper I have is due to my postpartum shed. I'm getting less taper, not more. There is no eyeroll profound enough to respond.

I know there's some other people here with narcissistic moms, who can probably relate.

Decoy24601
November 6th, 2016, 03:19 PM
I'm done. I've just had it. I'm taking a break from LHC. I'm so sick of the negativity on this forum lately. Whatever happened to the community? To supporting each other's hair goals and traits no matter what they are? I'm sick of the facebook mentality of having to "like" everything and having the most "likes". Worrying about who gets the most attention or the least attention, bah! It's ridiculous! When I first joined I thought this was such a cool place, and it still is, but now I almost feel like I have some sort of made-up privilege just because I have thick hair that is also long. I won't be posting pictures anymore. Sorry guys, but lately I feel the insecurities and... hate is too strong of a word, but I can't find the right one, much more than I feel the support and love on this forum that I once did.

The world is harsh enough, especially when it comes to beauty standards. I used to come here knowing that I wouldn't have to worry about that, but now that isn't true anymore. I will mostly be a lurker from now on, until I decide otherwise.

MidnightMoon
November 6th, 2016, 03:28 PM
I'm done. I've just had it. I'm taking a break from LHC. I'm so sick of the negativity on this forum lately. Whatever happened to the community? To supporting each other's hair goals and traits no matter what they are? I'm sick of the facebook mentality of having to "like" everything and having the most "likes". Worrying about who gets the most attention or the least attention, bah! It's ridiculous! When I first joined I thought this was such a cool place, and it still is, but now I almost feel like I have some sort of made-up privilege just because I have thick hair that is also long. I won't be posting pictures anymore. Sorry guys, but lately I feel the insecurities and... hate is too strong of a word, but I can't find the right one, much more than I feel the support and love on this forum that I once did.

The world is harsh enough, especially when it comes to beauty standards. I used to come here knowing that I wouldn't have to worry about that, but now that isn't true anymore. I will mostly be a lurker from now on.

Im tired of "some" people always wanting to cause drama. Seriously, pay a little more attention and youll notice a pattern. Thats why I usually end up in lurker mode most of the time anyways, I just have some pretty bored moments when I come by and comment.
Hope to see you around every now and then, though. Love your hair btw

Sarahlabyrinth
November 6th, 2016, 03:31 PM

The world is harsh enough, especially when it comes to beauty standards. I used to come here knowing that I wouldn't have to worry about that, but now that isn't true anymore. I will mostly be a lurker from now on, until I decide otherwise.

I know what you mean. I lurk now more than I used to. It's pretty sad. I probably won't be posting as much either.

Nique1202
November 6th, 2016, 04:27 PM

I know what you mean. I lurk now more than I used to. It's pretty sad. I probably won't be posting as much either.

Yeah, I regularly take breaks from checking the forum for my own mental health. I wish that certain things didn't bother me but they do and I don't want to be a troublemaker by going off about it all the time. So, taking a break for a few days, a week, a month at a time can really help, in my experience. I can come back in a better headspace, or I can log back off with no-one the wiser.

Another thing that helps: unsubscribe from your subscribed threads regularly if your settings are set to automatically subscribe you to updates to threads you post in. Especially unsubscribe from everything non-crucial before you take a break. (I mean, you might want to keep subscribed to stuff like the coupon code thread, but probably not the threads that have annoyed you, you know?)

JustPam
November 6th, 2016, 05:29 PM

Yup I'm just back to posting after a break and then a bit of lurking and catching up on threads. I stopped because a) I wasn't making any length progress and was no longer growing out colour, so had no real hair updates, and b) anything I did post seemed to go unnoticed for the most part and I kind of felt like well what's the point? I'm not out for the imaginary "likes" or attention, my hair is relatively too "meh" here to merit such things, but generally just felt like that awkward person in the group that everyone talks over rather than to, y'know, and like nobody would notice if I stopped posting for a while.

lithostoic
November 6th, 2016, 08:02 PM
Bye Decoy enjoy your break.

My hair is much longer than the last time I did this hairstyle.

Entangled
November 6th, 2016, 08:09 PM
I feel like I'm always see-sawing on how I feel about my hair. Sometimes I see it and I'm really pleased. Other times, I get really disappointed with it. I'm noticing taper in a significant way for me. My braid is about half as thick on the bottom as it is at the top. Ugh. Bleh. Is it a shed? I don't really notice much about thickness changes at the root, though I can't remember any increase in shedding. The problem is, I don't want to cut. Then it would be the same hair only shorter and less manageable. I would still be just as unhappy with it. Maybe I should microgram and maintain? I feel like this is a good length, but it would still be nice to hit classic. On the other hand, I love thick hemlines with minimal taper. I don't want fairytale ends at classic. Maybe I should make my hemline a more drastic U shape. That would make the thinning fairytales look more soft. Meh.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/Tofallsofar/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3014_zpst9cjgeaa.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/Tofallsofar/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3014_zpst9cjgeaa.jpg.html)

On the other hand, I realized what I do like about most of my hair is that it's soft. (at least when dry.)

vampyyri
November 6th, 2016, 08:36 PM
I personally love your hair Entangled! I think most of us here have tapers due to natural shedding, I wouldn't worry too much about it!

Entangled
November 6th, 2016, 08:41 PM
I personally love your hair Entangled! I think most of us here have tapers due to natural shedding, I wouldn't worry too much about it!
Thanks...It's just something I've never wanted in my own hair, and I've never had long enough hair for it to be a problem, other than damage related taper. I've posted numerous times in the past about it, and I guess I really haven't gotten any better about making peace with it.

littlestarface
November 6th, 2016, 09:20 PM
I feel like I'm always see-sawing on how I feel about my hair. Sometimes I see it and I'm really pleased. Other times, I get really disappointed with it. I'm noticing taper in a significant way for me. My braid is about half as thick on the bottom as it is at the top. Ugh. Bleh. Is it a shed? I don't really notice much about thickness changes at the root, though I can't remember any increase in shedding. The problem is, I don't want to cut. Then it would be the same hair only shorter and less manageable. I would still be just as unhappy with it. Maybe I should microgram and maintain? I feel like this is a good length, but it would still be nice to hit classic. On the other hand, I love thick hemlines with minimal taper. I don't want fairytale ends at classic. Maybe I should make my hemline a more drastic U shape. That would make the thinning fairytales look more soft. Meh.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/Tofallsofar/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3014_zpst9cjgeaa.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/Tofallsofar/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3014_zpst9cjgeaa.jpg.html)

On the other hand, I realized what I do like about most of my hair is that it's soft. (at least when dry.)
I'm just like you I guess. I don't want thin ends but I'm definitely not happy if I cut it shorter. I cut my hair so many times from knee length and why! Just so I can have thicker ends but why?! No one ever sees the ends anyway it's always in a bun or braid like seriously! I hate my hair but it is mine so I dunno I just gonna take care of it and let it grow however long it wants but then I see thick ends on people n i'm like I want that too. I seriously hate my hair lol

littlestarface
November 6th, 2016, 09:24 PM
Bye Decoy enjoy your break.

My hair is much longer than the last time I did this hairstyle.

Lol what hairstyle?

lithostoic
November 6th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Lol what hairstyle?

Double rope braids.

turtlelover
November 6th, 2016, 09:25 PM
I cut a few inches of my evil layers off tonight. I dream of the day of braids without layers poking out of them!!!!! I'm back at BSL, but I don't care. My ends feel much more swingy and blunt.

littlestarface
November 6th, 2016, 09:30 PM
Double rope braids.

Ah I see, ya your hair grows fast.

Llama
November 7th, 2016, 12:12 AM
I tried using my flexi rods today for heatless curls. My hair just does not hold curls like it used to...I don't know why.
I dampened each section before rolling it up in the flexi rod. Then wrapped a warm towel around my head.
Took them out 2-3 hours later and there was absolutely NO change.

:steam

TatsuOni
November 7th, 2016, 01:34 AM
Dripping henna... I should just look up some good movie and lay down watching it with kitty.

Apolli
November 7th, 2016, 05:33 AM
I tried using my flexi rods today for heatless curls. My hair just does not hold curls like it used to...I don't know why.
I dampened each section before rolling it up in the flexi rod. Then wrapped a warm towel around my head.
Took them out 2-3 hours later and there was absolutely NO change.

:steam

Maybe it needs to be wet hair instead of damp? That's what I heard for heatless rolling curly hair into straighter ones anyway.

TatsuOni
November 7th, 2016, 06:35 AM
Dripping indigo... I don't feel like watching an other movie, but the dripping really is annoying...

vampyyri
November 7th, 2016, 08:17 AM
I'm worried about having a shorter terminal...

My sister has BCL hair and she supposedly hit her terminal length there, and she trims the ends to thicken up the hemline. She has 1a/F/i hair though, so I'm not sure if that's a factor or not. Or perhaps it's a false terminal?? I'm just praying that I don't hit a terminal length anytime soon... I really want at least CL. If it stops at the bottom of my bum, I'll be perfectly content with that. :lol:

Does anyone have longhaired siblings/relatives who can chime in about this?

TatsuOni
November 7th, 2016, 08:21 AM

My sister has BCL hair and she supposedly hit her terminal length there, and she trims the ends to thicken up the hemline. She has 1a/F/i hair though, so I'm not sure if that's a factor or not. Or perhaps it's a false terminal?? I'm just praying that I don't hit a terminal length anytime soon... I really want at least CL. If it stops at the bottom of my bum, I'll be perfectly content with that. :lol:

Absolutely no one of my relatives have long hair. The longest is probably my mothers aunt who had bsl last time I saw her many years ago. So I'm just hoping that I have good hair genes :pray:

MidnightMoon
November 7th, 2016, 08:36 AM
Only my grandmother had long hair. Supposedly her braids were thick as her wrists, blonde, and she could sit on it. You can still tell it was pretty. My mom, however, has stick straight. fine, thin hair which she never grows past her shoulders. My sister's hair grows fast, but it's straighter than mine, and she bleaches and doesn't let it grow past waist.
On my dad's side, nobody has long hair. His mother's hair is nice, but very short...
I have grown past tailbone, even dyeing and using a straightener so I'm confident I can get at least past classic. It's been a bit reluctant to grow these past 3 months, though :rolleyes:

Llama
November 7th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Maybe it needs to be wet hair instead of damp? That's what I heard for heatless rolling curly hair into straighter ones anyway.

My hair would absolutely never dry if I put the rollers in while my hair was wet.
Even if I bun or braid while my hair is more than just a little damp it will remain damp for days.
Oh well

Cg
November 7th, 2016, 10:37 AM

I've known many siblings, even fraternal twins, whose terminal lengths varied widely. You are not your sister, and your terminal length isn't determined by the gene combination unique to her. And as you say, her hair may not even be truly terminal now. You still have lots of room for hope!

Kiiruna
November 7th, 2016, 11:33 AM
My braid is well past apl, yay!

Nique1202
November 7th, 2016, 12:31 PM

If she's trimming, then it's not true terminal, since she's cutting off the ends. Full thickness semi-terminal, maybe, if she gets a lot of thinning past that point, but her true terminal might lie 8, 10, 12 inches past where it is now. And, as already pointed out, it can vary widely even within families.

For myself, my first cousin and I are the first people to grow our hair out past midback in several generations in our family. Nobody going back as far as our great-grandparents seems ever to have grown their hair out, from parental memories and the few pictures we have going that far back. So, I have absolutely no clue where my terminal may sit. I just know that my hair is showing every sign of wanting to grow at least as far as tailbone where my longest ends are now. I could live with that, though I really want to shoot for knee at least once in my life, just to say I did.

lithostoic
November 7th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Not sure where my terminal is. Dad and his folks keep theirs short, as do/did my mom's parents. My mom's hair is about BSL and that's long for her.

wispe
November 7th, 2016, 03:18 PM
I've no clue what my terminal is. I hope at least CL! I could never grow my hair past shoulder until I was a teen, and even then never got past BSL before I pixie'd. I have a distant relative on my mom's side with knee-ish length hair, but I'm not actually sure if we're genetically related. Almost all my moms' relatives keep their hair short (like, chin-apl) but my mom did have ~WL hair when she was younger. Idk about my dad's side, I don't know them. My dad did have hair to his butt (prob. TB?) when I was born though. My brother is currently growing his hair out and he takes after our dad (thicker, wavier, one shade darker than me) so I'm fully expecting to be upstaged when it gets longer. He already has really nice swoops and thiiick, and he's only around chin or collarbone.

Katia_k
November 7th, 2016, 11:03 PM
I bought some duckbill clips and have been pinning my hair up in little buns after my showers, and oh my God my curls are so happy! It's like they just needed the clipping to remind them what they wanted to do. They're more twisty than if I leave them alone, where they're giant springy s-shaped curls (if they decide they want to form at all and not friz), but they're so defined and nice.

...Just have to be sure I'm pinning without causing too much breakage. Still getting used to the clips and how they work. But I'm suuuuuuper happy. This is the most success I've had in ages, and the curls seem to last almost the whole time between wash days.

Apolli
November 7th, 2016, 11:39 PM
My hair would absolutely never dry if I put the rollers in while my hair was wet.
Even if I bun or braid while my hair is more than just a little damp it will remain damp for days.
Oh well

Ah snap :( best of luck with whatever you try though! :)

TatsuOni
November 8th, 2016, 01:21 AM
My hair doesn't dry at all either, if I put it up. Yesterday I had to braid it while still moist, since I was going to change to winter tires om my car. Back home I discovered that I had gotten food poisoning from a banana. I was not going to let my hair out then! So I slept with it in a braid and it hasn't dried at all since I put it up. So back to the drying process now...

Apolli
November 8th, 2016, 02:36 AM
My hair doesn't dry at all either, if I put it up. Yesterday I had to braid it while still moist, since I was going to change to winter tires om my car. Back home I discovered that I had gotten food poisoning from a banana. I was not going to let my hair out then! So I slept with it in a braid and it hasn't dried at all since I put it up. So back to the drying process now...

I hope you feel better! Food poisoning is awful :(
My hair dries fairly quickly (6-8 hrs air-dried after tshirt turbaning. The actual drying speed is objective I guess since I think 6-8 hours might be too much for others ). I never tried braiding/bunning it while damp or wet though because I get headaches. I'm going to start looking into drying techniques soon though. This conversation makes me wonder if there might be hair type factors that play into how fast/slow hair can dry :0

TatsuOni
November 8th, 2016, 02:52 AM
I hope you feel better! Food poisoning is awful :(
My hair dries fairly quickly (6-8 hrs air-dried after tshirt turbaning. The actual drying speed is objective I guess since I think 6-8 hours might be too much for others ). I never tried braiding/bunning it while damp or wet though because I get headaches. I'm going to start looking into drying techniques soon though. This conversation makes me wonder if there might be hair type factors that play into how fast/slow hair can dry :0

I do! Thank you! :blossom:

My hair air dries in six hours if I leave it loose and gently separate the strands while it's drying. I takes around the half time if I'm sitting in front of a fan. If I bun/braid or sleep with it wet or while still moist, it won't dry at all.

HairPlease
November 8th, 2016, 05:23 AM
How does porosity affect hair drying time?

tanglemangle
November 8th, 2016, 06:07 AM
Pretty new on here, so hi folks!

Question: Hair sticks? Do they work? Are they better? I've never heard of them before like I have in this forum.

vampyyri
November 8th, 2016, 07:18 AM

Question: Hair sticks? Do they work? Are they better? I've never heard of them before like I have in this forum.

Hey there, welcome!! :flower:

They do indeed work, and to test to see if you like them you can always try a pen or pencil to hold up a bun. We have a lot of resources here to styles to try out.

Hair forks are also fantastic, but just poke around on here and you'll stumble across everything you need to know and then some! :lol:

Katia_k
November 8th, 2016, 07:23 AM

There is the rare person who can't use them, but over all, yes they work and they are the greatest thing ever. I was a bit skeptical too; putting them in looked like wizardry to me, but now I *love* them. Sticks and forks have basically entirely replaced any sort of elastics for me, except for tying off braids. They take practice to use, but once you have them figured out, they are super, super awesome.

I would also take a look at hair forks. I like sticks and forks, but for me and my texture and skill level, forks seem to be more forgiving/do a better job holding. But I have my hair up in a stick right now and I'm pretty sure I could go running and that thing wouldn't go anywhere.

TL;DR: YAY STICKS.

triumphator!
November 8th, 2016, 07:24 AM
My hair feels so good lately. It feels moisturized from root to end. I think the combination of avocado + shea butter + coconut oil from my last DT was super effective. I can't recreate it for a while because I am out of avocado now though! I guess shea + coconut it is this weekend. I can't stop touching it because it just FEELS so healthy now...

vampyyri
November 8th, 2016, 07:40 AM
I used dry shampoo for the first time in... god knows how long. Was rushing out the door this morning to vote and couldn't be bothered with a scalp wash.

I must say, this isn't so bad. It'll hold me over!

mizukitty
November 8th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Urgh super annoyed lately because I realized BOTH my boyfriend and I are experiencing a great shed. Head hair and even eyebrow hair if gently brushed. It's super, super weird. Not like 50-100 strands, either, it's maybe 200! We don't even use the same hair products. He has shoulder length hair though. I'm guessing the underlying cause is probably our vitamin D deficiency, as that's something we both really struggle with. Hoping I can get it up with supplements as it's so important (not just for hair, but everything, and deficiency is so common).

spirals
November 8th, 2016, 06:33 PM
I used dry shampoo for the first time in... god knows how long. Was rushing out the door this morning to vote and couldn't be bothered with a scalp wash.

I must say, this isn't so bad. It'll hold me over!

Dry shampoo is my new best friend.

languagenut
November 9th, 2016, 01:22 AM

Welcome to the site! I hope you enjoy it :).

About hair sticks, how well they work depends some on factors like hair length and texture, but there's a lot of leeway. They work very well for me; I find the most secure style for me is the cinnabun "sewn on" with two hair sticks; but different people find different styles to hold better. As some others have mentioned, you can try out different styles with a pencil or chopstick (or similar object) to see how it works, before buying any (or make your own (http://www.instructables.com/id/Stylish-DIY-Bead-topped-Hair-Sticks/) ;)).

Speaking of which, my prize arrived today (well, now technically yesterday)! The Tangle Teezer is a bit more "compact" than I expected, but it did succeed in detangling my hair :).

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Pv79eeOuwjg/WCLY4ex2baI/AAAAAAAAAq0/duItq0yZPukMM04J-WPw41gLgcfbzl6CwCLcB/s400/IMAG0264.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Y9hKKypDxl0/WCLYbMTqMBI/AAAAAAAAAqo/KMuu9_lxb5QcwiQxwwWDuH5E-0VUZDs0wCLcB/s400/TangleTeezer.jpg

Had to use said hair sticks to show the back of the shirt :laugh::

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wXIQiejEBbY/WCLYdqJOc2I/AAAAAAAAAqs/s1tix9R9Kh8CYN6XfZf8bzlXH2KtHTf8gCLcB/s400/TshirtBack.jpg

lulikrueger
November 9th, 2016, 01:31 AM
I just started to think my hair is long 5 minutes ago.
Mom was making herself some scrambled eggs and I was in the kitchen with her. Our kitchen is quite small and I found out the hard way that my hair is really getting long, by that I mean I accidentally dipped my ends into the cup with RAW EGGS she was mixing the spices in... :justy:
My mom also said the eggs kinda taste like my leave in.

Kiiruna
November 9th, 2016, 07:02 AM
Snow looks so pretty on my hair :D

Sunshine&Opals
November 9th, 2016, 12:47 PM
My hair feels so soft, and non grabby, it's amazing! Tried hemp seed oil on a whim last night, and I'm seriously impressed. I want to marry it! Anybody else use it? Do you think I need to be cautious with it? I'm Just so chuffed to have found something that stops the tangles, and doesn't seem to cause shed like coconut oil did for me.

littlestarface
November 9th, 2016, 04:13 PM
OMG today I got a bright idea and decided to wear a bun under my scarf and stuff for when I went out , bad idea. My gawd what a really bad idea like seriously! I guess my bun was too heavy to be up, I had a scarf on and my face cover tied above the bun and my bun just kept trying to fall down but the amish pins were stopping it from falling by stabbing me in the head trying to keep the bun up :laugh: I was in the most excruciating pain imaginable.

Never again will I do any buns outside!

triumphator!
November 9th, 2016, 04:59 PM
My hair feels straight up luxurious. Cant' stop touching it. Must put it up or be forever distracted!

missrandie
November 9th, 2016, 06:25 PM
I've been able to make my buns looser these days, and it's really helping win the battle against headaches!

Apolli
November 10th, 2016, 01:26 AM
Cant believe i made it to bsl a and my next goal is waist! Well my longest layers did. Waiting till Christmas to calm it, to give the rest of my hair some time to catch up. Waist will take some time but hip will barely take a couple of months!

jessic6
November 10th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Finally ordered a hairstick from EaduardHairsticks! It's supposed to come in the mail on Saturday. :) I will be a proud owner of a pretty hairstick. :D

I did the 2-step Aphogee treatment last week. I'm pretty torn about it. My hair has a lot more body and shape now, but it gave me a lot of "bent" ends that I had to cut off. I'm probably going to stay away from protein treatments.

My hair is practically at waist. I have a strong taper though, so I'm not going to call it until maybe Christmas. It feels like just yesterday that i reached BSL...

Asrai
November 10th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Hm... My hair is feeling pretty grabby & cranky at the moment. I think it might be time for a clarify + SMT to see if that helps it out, but I won't be able to do that until tomorrow. I guess for now I'll just oil it & toss it up in pigtails for the day so that it's mostly up.

Another hair related thought: I might have kinda sorta bought two more hair sticks despite not being able to use them yet. But I'm justifying it to myself by remembering that that shop is going to close soon & I might gift one of them to my mum who can get immediate use out of it.

MsPharaohMoan
November 10th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Hm... My hair is feeling pretty grabby & cranky at the moment. I think it might be time for a clarify + SMT to see if that helps it out, but I won't be able to do that until tomorrow. I guess for now I'll just oil it & toss it up in pigtails for the day so that it's mostly up.

Another hair related thought: I might have kinda sorta bought two more hair sticks despite not being able to use them yet. But I'm justifying it to myself by remembering that that shop is going to close soon & I might gift one of them to my mum who can get immediate use out of it.

A shop is closing soon?

lithostoic
November 10th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Bought one of those phone cord hair ties today. Actually, it was a pack of 3. "Invisibobble" knock offs, clear and about an inch across unstretched. Wore my hair in a high pony for 6 hours with very minimal tenderness! Normally after a hour or two my scalp would start getting rapidly more sore. Today I couldn't even tell it was sore (barely) until I touched it with my fingers.

missmelaniem
November 11th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Bought one of those phone cord hair ties today. Actually, it was a pack of 3. "Invisibobble" knock offs, clear and about an inch across unstretched. Wore my hair in a high pony for 6 hours with very minimal tenderness! Normally after a hour or two my scalp would start getting rapidly more sore. Today I couldn't even tell it was sore (barely) until I touched it with my fingers.

I LOVE those things. The only downside is that they stretch out, but thats remedied with just wrapping it another time or two. I need to stock up... they're so comfortable to wear all day

missmelaniem
November 11th, 2016, 03:37 PM
I'm happy with my hair condition right now... I am in a minimal attention cycle just washing a couple of times a week and keeping it up ... oiling once a week and just leaving it till my next wash a couple of days later. Being a homebody has its perks :)

irishsapphire
November 11th, 2016, 07:55 PM
Wore my hair in a snood today. Loved it. Super comfy, felt like my hair was down, but felt contained and protected.
And I didn't have any conversations about me being a mean person and not donating my hair...... I think that was my favorite part....

hanne jensen
November 12th, 2016, 07:48 AM
After only trimming 2 cm this morning my hair feels amazing. The hemline looks so much thicker. I was considering chopping back to MBL. What a difference a few centimeters make!

lapushka
November 12th, 2016, 08:17 AM

I have 2 cousins and they are sisters. One has M/iii hair and the other F/i/ii hair. It doesn't have to mean anything for you personally. I think your hairtypes are just different.

lapushka
November 12th, 2016, 08:19 AM
I've been able to make my buns looser these days, and it's really helping win the battle against headaches!

Yay! :) That is awesome.

lithostoic
November 12th, 2016, 08:35 AM
I got my co-worker to buy the phone cord hair ties too! Like me, her scalp gets very tender if she puts her hair up. Yesterday she wore her hair in a ponytail for at least the 4 hours we worked together! I wonder if it held up for longer.

KittyBird
November 12th, 2016, 11:05 AM
I got my co-worker to buy the phone cord hair ties too! Like me, her scalp gets very tender if she puts her hair up. Yesterday she wore her hair in a ponytail for at least the 4 hours we worked together! I wonder if it held up for longer.

I love those too! I'm wearing one right now. A while ago one of my coworkers had forgotten her hairtie, so I gave her one of my phone cord ties and told her to keep it because I have plenty of them. The next time I saw her she told me that it was the best hairtie she had ever tried, and that she uses it all the time ;)

Stub
November 12th, 2016, 01:53 PM
I might have to try these! I get headaches from regular ponytails/elastics, but if this can hold my hair without pulling on my scalp I might not!

Anya15
November 12th, 2016, 11:19 PM
I love those phone cord hair ties. I got a few knockoffs for the equivalent of $ 0.148 each (Idk how many cents or whatever that is? Sorry, not good at currency conversions)

TatsuOni
November 13th, 2016, 02:31 AM
I use invisibobbles at the end of my braid and the ends doesn't get dry and tangled as they do with elastics:)

Katia_k
November 13th, 2016, 08:52 AM
I went to Sally's for the first time ever yesterday...OMG so fun! Walked out with a bunch of oil blends to try that I'm *super* excited about, and some clips that I may or may not be able to use because of them causing damage, we'll have to see.

I spread some of their vitamin E oil on my hair last night before I braided it, and my hair is so soft today! It's maybe not as bouncy as usual, but it's shiny and smooth and only a little tangly at the ends, even though the stuff has coconut oil in it which my hair normally doesn't like. So happy!

Arctic
November 13th, 2016, 08:57 AM
I'm sitting here with hairdye on my hair!

Katia it'd be lovely to sometime visit a place like Sally's; I imagine isles and isles and isles of hair stuff :D

vampyyri
November 13th, 2016, 09:13 AM
I still wonder if I could get away with manic panic's Vampire Red in my hair. My hair's always up anyway so it would add something to my buns, but I'm not sure if my work would think that it's inappropriate.

Arctic
November 13th, 2016, 09:17 AM
I still wonder if I could get away with manic panic's Vampire Red in my hair. My hair's always up anyway so it would add something to my buns, but I'm not sure if my work would think that it's inappropriate.

I think that's still quite conservative colour, at least when it comes to shock colours.

Katia_k
November 13th, 2016, 11:22 AM
I'm sitting here with hairdye on my hair!

Katia it'd be lovely to sometime visit a place like Sally's; I imagine isles and isles and isles of hair stuff :D

It was fabulous! They had a very respectable curly section, and so many things I've heard about on LHC but never seen before. Only had to bite my tongue once when a woman came in talking about bleaching, and they asked her if she had a DT to use after. The way she answered, I could tell she was just going to use normal conditioner after, and even the sales person was like "...don't just condition it like normal." But people shall do what people shall do.

Pinni
November 13th, 2016, 01:38 PM
I have not been here in few weeks. I reached kind of an milestone. I have now longer hair than ever at adult age (and maybe in my life because as a kid i was shorter :)) 80 cm! :)

Arctic
November 13th, 2016, 01:54 PM
I have not been here in few weeks. I reached kind of an milestone. I have now longer hair than ever at adult age (and maybe in my life because as a kid i was shorter :)) 80 cm! :)

Congratulations! Where does it reach on your body? Not too long before it'll be 1 meter!!! Maybe 1,5-2 years?

Pinni
November 13th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Congratulations! Where does it reach on your body? Not too long before it'll be 1 meter!!! Maybe 1,5-2 years?

Thank you Arctic! :) It is over hip but not at tailbone. One meter sounds so super long! It could be maybe in that time there, if my hair is the kind that grows so long.

Arctic
November 13th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Pinni it'd be probably approx classic length (on me it would be some centimeters less than) but yeah it's very impressive! And 80 cm is impressive too! It's in the super long category in my books!

Kiiruna
November 13th, 2016, 02:52 PM
100cm of hair on me would be bcl-tailbone or something :D Sounds super long... but not unreachable ;D right now my hair is around 64,5-65cm

missrandie
November 13th, 2016, 03:52 PM
I really hope my hair doesn't freak out on my with my trip home! It shouldn't, but one never knows.

missmelaniem
November 13th, 2016, 05:15 PM
This is how lazy I get: I finished my yard work... my hair was slightly damp from sweating and I just slopped more argan oil in till I feel like washing it

Rowdy
November 13th, 2016, 06:34 PM
My hair sounds longer in metric, 81.5 cm stretched! :D

Ellethwyn
November 13th, 2016, 07:08 PM
A few days ago I switched from sleeping with my hair in a braid to a bun. It's working out very well!

jfg1987
November 13th, 2016, 07:40 PM
I have these moments where I get bored and try to think of ways to put sticks in my hair. I'll get this bun in my head or whatever and then l'm like "okay how the eff did I do this I'm not going to be able to replicate it ever again WHY AM I LIKE THIS" :wail:

Arctic
November 13th, 2016, 11:02 PM
My hair is over half a meter, 55 cm :D Yep, I use metric for two reasons: one it's what we generally use in Finland (if I need inches I need to use online convertor which is cumbersome to do all the time) and two, my hair sounds much longer this way :D (over) Half a meter versus less than 21 inches. :deal:

Arctic
November 13th, 2016, 11:12 PM
100cm of hair on me would be bcl-tailbone or something :D Sounds super long... but not unreachable ;D right now my hair is around 64,5-65cm

It's ages since I checked this so my memory is a bit vague, but I recall classic is about at 105 or 110 cm region on me. Of course with my growth/trimming rate 10 cm can take a year or more, so not quite so close to 100 cm as I first thought without thinking it through. I'm 174 cm tall, I remember you are quite a few cm taller than me!

Olavi
November 14th, 2016, 12:56 AM
As expected, when I started to re-read Daughter of Smoke and Bone (by Laini Taylor), I got urge to dye my hair blue. Every time I read either that or Days of Blood and Starlight, I get that urge. I get it other times too, but with these books it's way stronger...

Apolli
November 14th, 2016, 05:58 AM
*in the bathroom preparing for weekly wash*

*stretches curls to currentl level*
*attempts to eyeball and mark distance with fingers from current longest level to waist, nods and eyeballs the distance from waist to my final goal- hip. Takes note and pauses*
*attempts to eyeball distance from hip to classic*
*further attempts to eyeball and measure from classic to mid-thigh then checks that distance from my current level*

I think I'm in denial.

Anya15
November 14th, 2016, 06:44 AM
It's ages since I checked this so my memory is a bit vague, but I recall classic is about at 105 or 110 cm region on me. Of course with my growth/trimming rate 10 cm can take a year or more, so not quite so close to 100 cm as I first thought without thinking it through. I'm 174 cm tall, I remember you are quite a few cm taller than me!

Same, it's about 105 cm on me! :D

Kiiruna
November 14th, 2016, 07:11 AM
Nah, Arctic, I'm 175cm (or 176 not quite sure) :D Classic on me would be nearly 120cm. I seem to have quite long upper body! ... or, on the other hand, I suck at measuring stuff, so I may give highly incorrect measurements...

Cg
November 14th, 2016, 09:42 AM
... or, on the other hand, I suck at measuring stuff, so I may give highly incorrect measurements...

This would be me. Body markers give me the only consistent results.

Eastbound&Down
November 14th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Goal: get my hair long enough that I can pull it back into a ponytail. Another month maybe. Patience, Eastbound, patience. :meditate:

Asrai
November 14th, 2016, 11:07 AM
I got to play with my longhaired friend's hair yesterday & it was so much fun. I threw it up in a nautilus held with a couple of hair sticks & she was really impressed by how cute it was & how well it held & asked me to teach her to do stick buns sometime. Definitely got me missing having enough hair to bun though. Ah well. I should be solidly there this time next year. Really looking forward to getting use all my hair toys again.

alimc
November 14th, 2016, 11:48 AM
I really don't suit bob hairstyles.....
which is probably why it's been stuck at bob style for so long now....
when does a bob become a not bob.... :(
An un-bob...

Frankenstein
November 14th, 2016, 12:18 PM
My hair feels sticky today :(

Nique1202
November 14th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Had to put my hair in a braid before it's dry because I'm expecting a delivery shortly and I don't want to A) look like that girl from The Ring, or B) get my hair caught and damaged between me and the printer box when it's handed over. The things we do for haircare, right? :whistle:

Eastbound&Down
November 14th, 2016, 01:09 PM
I really don't suit bob hairstyles.....
which is probably why it's been stuck at bob style for so long now....
when does a bob become a not bob.... :(
An un-bob...

Uh, I say SL is when it stops being classified as a bob (unless you are one to include LOBs).

Robot Ninja
November 14th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Man, CMW's forks make the best headscratchers.

Why does my head always get itchy right after I paint my nails?

Shiranshoku
November 14th, 2016, 03:09 PM
For some reason, I decided to take hardly any precaution when dyeing my hair with Manic Panic. Now my sink is stained, my hands are purple, there's a spot on the floor, my rug is ruined and I haven't even rinsed yet.

I'm actually in awe of how immature, irresponsible and impulsive that was. It's like I lost all my common sense for an hour or so.

I wonder if I'm pregnant.

littlestarface
November 14th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Man, CMW's forks make the best headscratchers.

Why does my head always get itchy right after I paint my nails?

LOL I know right.

pailin
November 14th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Finally got hold of a bottle of kinky curly knot today.... I​think I'm in love

höpönasu
November 15th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Holy moly! First, my one year no chop anniversary was 9th and now I'm going to be no chop for another year! But what really struck me was the realization in the shower. I actually only wash my hair once a week! My routine for two years has been 1-2 times a week and it's bren more common for me to wash twice. I don't know when the evolving to only once a week happened bit I wash every Thursday/Friday now. I have to have my hair up and secure for work because it'd be dangerous. Then my hair is just a curly, messy mess until I wash it for the weekend when I can have it loose!

alimc
November 15th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Uh, I say SL is when it stops being classified as a bob (unless you are one to include LOBs).

Oh great!!! I should be 'un-bobbed' pretty soon! (Nope. No LOBs here... :cool:)

For some reason, I decided to take hardly any precaution when dyeing my hair with Manic Panic. Now my sink is stained, my hands are purple, there's a spot on the floor, my rug is ruined and I haven't even rinsed yet.

I'm actually in awe of how immature, irresponsible and impulsive that was. It's like I lost all my common sense for an hour or so.

I wonder if I'm pregnant.

:wail: to the purple destruction...... as long as your hair looks awesome though.... :joy:

Decoy24601
November 15th, 2016, 10:17 PM
I'm back from my short break. My ponydry arrived and with scalp only washes I'm down to washing the entire length of my hair nearly just every 4-6 days , keeping it hydrated with a humectant spray every couple days. I use protein once every other time I wash the length of my hair by washing with the Mane N Tail Shampoo and mixing a little of the conditioner in with my normal conditioner. I use a little bit of leave-in on wet hair and 4 drops of jojoba oil and 4 drops of argan oil.

I seem to have found my holy grail routine with only minor tweaks here and there (for instance, today is supposed to be scalp wash day, but my scalp isn't really greasy yet, so I'm postponing it another day). I can't find splits in my hair anymore and it looks and feels great.

Shiranshoku
November 16th, 2016, 07:23 AM
:wail: to the purple destruction...... as long as your hair looks awesome though.... :joy:

I have to admit... It does. :smirk:
Turns out I'm on my period since today, so I'm calling it temporary insanity due to PMS. :P

hanne jensen
November 16th, 2016, 08:54 AM
For some reason my hair likes being greased down with coconut oil. I mean really greased down where it looks stringy and nasty. Thank goodness for head coverings.

Apolli
November 16th, 2016, 09:21 AM
People have taken to patting my hair and swiping at it as a greeting :p they're all good friends and family though so I'm not bothered lol

Also my grandmother really likes my curls. She says that it looks as if someone braided my hair and undid it (i.e. braid waves) and said her hair used to have a few body waves when she was younger. She also never told me to straighten it when I was growing it out, really brings a smile to my face :)

Frankenstein
November 16th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Has anyone ever worn their hair in the same spot for a bun and not had damage? I can't really vary the placement much because it hurts my scalp :(

TatsuOni
November 16th, 2016, 11:58 AM
Has anyone ever worn their hair in the same spot for a bun and not had damage? I can't really vary the placement much because it hurts my scalp :(

My buns are pretty much in the same position every day. I braid my hair at nights and try to variate the type of bun. I haven't gotten any extra damage because of this.

Eastbound&Down
November 16th, 2016, 12:37 PM
For some reason my hair likes being greased down with coconut oil. I mean really greased down where it looks stringy and nasty. Thank goodness for head coverings.

I wish it was socially acceptable for me to wear a hijab so that I could oil my hair during the week. I love the look of them, but I would never want to have someone be offended for me wearing one.

vampyyri
November 16th, 2016, 01:40 PM

Nah, I wear my hair in relatively the same spot daily and haven't realized any damage. I'm at the point where certain points on my head make my scalp sore as well.

DaveDecker
November 16th, 2016, 02:05 PM
I wish it was socially acceptable for me to wear a hijab so that I could oil my hair during the week. I love the look of them, but I would never want to have someone be offended for me wearing one.

I can't imagine why anybody would be offended. There is no law in Washington or the US against being (or dressing in the style of a) Muslim. In the office at which I used to work was a woman who dressed this way everyday and as far as I knew nobody ever expressed any negativity about it.

My random hair thought: So glad I finally got around to doing S&D yesterday; first time in probably 6 months and it was definitely needed.

littlestarface
November 16th, 2016, 04:03 PM

Are you muslim too? I wear full hijab outside meaning I cover my face as well as hair feet blhblhblh, i just went out today and I do fine. If your not muslim you can do a nice tie back scarf style but I can understand someone making fun of you if your not a muslim tho.

littlestarface
November 16th, 2016, 04:04 PM
I can't imagine why anybody would be offended. There is no law in Washington or the US against being (or dressing in the style of a) Muslim. In the office at which I used to work was a woman who dressed this way everyday and as far as I knew nobody ever expressed any negativity about it.

My random hair thought: So glad I finally got around to doing S&D yesterday; first time in probably 6 months and it was definitely needed.

It's not against the law but people sure do make it seem that way with the yelling and mocking me, telling me to go back to my own country :rollin:

maborosi
November 16th, 2016, 06:12 PM
I'm back from my short break. My ponydry arrived and with scalp only washes I'm down to washing the entire length of my hair nearly just every 4-6 days , keeping it hydrated with a humectant spray every couple days. I use protein once every other time I wash the length of my hair by washing with the Mane N Tail Shampoo and mixing a little of the conditioner in with my normal conditioner. I use a little bit of leave-in on wet hair and 4 drops of jojoba oil and 4 drops of argan oil.

I seem to have found my holy grail routine with only minor tweaks here and there (for instance, today is supposed to be scalp wash day, but my scalp isn't really greasy yet, so I'm postponing it another day). I can't find splits in my hair anymore and it looks and feels great.

How do you like the ponydry? Is it worth the $$$? I had tried to do a homemade knockoff with some processing caps, elastics, and lots of colorful language peppered in, but I just couldn't get the hang of it. :I
I'd prefer to scalp wash since the length of my hair honestly is to the point where I really don't need to wash it maybe more than once a week. But my scalp...that's a different story!

Decoy24601
November 16th, 2016, 07:16 PM
How do you like the ponydry? Is it worth the $$$? I had tried to do a homemade knockoff with some processing caps, elastics, and lots of colorful language peppered in, but I just couldn't get the hang of it. :I
I'd prefer to scalp wash since the length of my hair honestly is to the point where I really don't need to wash it maybe more than once a week. But my scalp...that's a different story!

I love it! I could never get the hang of scalp only washes with home-made versions (plastic bags w/ hairties, etc). I have *a lot* of hair and the ponydry is large enough for it all and it's pretty easy to use. It kept the length of my hair completely dry. It's worth the money in my opinion. It's good quality so it should probably last a long time.

Andthetalltrees
November 16th, 2016, 08:54 PM
My hair is getting long enough I need to be more mindful of it again, And I seriously regret not putting conditioner on my hair, Tangles, Tangles everywhere

Garnetgem
November 16th, 2016, 09:09 PM
Unsure why but my hair is going through some sort of growth spurt...unusual for this time of year and even more unusual for me...it seems to be feeling heavier..can only be good i feel!

Monsterkitti
November 17th, 2016, 03:50 AM
Ive recently upped my exercise and how much protien Im trying to eat, both health related but also kind of excited to see if it gives me the same growth spurt it did last time I did this! :D

AZDesertRose
November 17th, 2016, 04:04 AM
Two things to make this make sense: My apartment has linoleum floors, no carpeting. Also, I do laundry at my mom's house to save money.

So, I went looking for a pair of house slippers because my feet were cold, and one of my pairs of slippers I left hanging in my mom's garage the last time I did laundry because they can't be tumble-dried because they have rubber grips on the bottom to make them slip-resistant. So I find my other pair of house slippers, a foot or so under my bed and pull them out...

...along with a truly epic dust bunny of dust captured in my hair, my cat's hair, and for all I know the moon mission the dust bunnies were planning. This sucker was easily the size of both my hands splayed out, and I have fairly large hands for a woman, being a generally not-small person. "Holy crap, how much hair do I lose?" (Because I'm disabled and it's hard to reach under the bed, that area doesn't get swept/cleaned often, so this dust bunny may have been developing for literally months or years.)

höpönasu
November 17th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Looking closely my ends I could really use a trim... And here I was so confident facing another year with no trim! :D Guess I'll need new scissors then.

wispe
November 17th, 2016, 09:46 AM
I have severe eczema and I usually get super bad, peeling, dried-out cracked fingers come winter. I've noticed since switching from silicone serums to actual oils in my hair that my fingers are totally healthy, moisturized skin. I usually rub my oils into my hands before applying to my hair. I'm a pretty lazy person so it's nice to kind of combine my hair and skincare routines.

DaveDecker
November 17th, 2016, 10:03 AM
It's not against the law but people sure do make it seem that way with the yelling and mocking me, telling me to go back to my own country :rollin:

That really sucks. I'm sorry you have to deal with that crud. :(

Frankenstein
November 17th, 2016, 12:17 PM
I wore my hair in pigtail braids yesterday and two people complimented me. I don't know why :lol:

Shiranshoku
November 17th, 2016, 01:07 PM
I wore my hair in pigtail braids yesterday and two people complimented me. I don't know why :lol:

Because it looked great? :-)

I've been wondering for a while if other people's length is also always so cold to the touch?

I started thinking about this because I can now wrap it pretty securely around my neck. I used to joke I wanted to wear it as a scarf. :-)

It's also quite cool in summer by the way.

Silverbleed
November 17th, 2016, 02:43 PM
My scalp feels painful all day. I never have this, it's kind of frustrating because nothing seems to work. I hope it goes away tomorrow or with the next wash.

alimc
November 17th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Got my hair caught at work today. Actually stuck. AND had to break a few hairs to free myself! I was surprised at how annoyed I was at having to sacrifice a few hairs to a gap in a partition wall.... stupid wall. Poor hair. :(
Moved my seat after that.... ;)

alimc
November 17th, 2016, 02:48 PM
My scalp feels painful all day. I never have this, it's kind of frustrating because nothing seems to work. I hope it goes away tomorrow or with the next wash.

:blossom: that sounds upsetting. Hopefully it settles down soon....

Silverbleed
November 17th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Got my hair caught at work today. Actually stuck. AND had to break a few hairs to free myself! I was surprised at how annoyed I was at having to sacrifice a few hairs to a gap in a partition wall.... stupid wall. Poor hair. :(
Moved my seat after that.... ;)

Well your situation didn't sound too great either :blossom: I didn't know walls could eat hair shudder:

CrazyWaves
November 17th, 2016, 05:16 PM
I have severe eczema and I usually get super bad, peeling, dried-out cracked fingers come winter. I've noticed since switching from silicone serums to actual oils in my hair that my fingers are totally healthy, moisturized skin. I usually rub my oils into my hands before applying to my hair. I'm a pretty lazy person so it's nice to kind of combine my hair and skincare routines.

I've discovered this too! My hands get really dry from work. (I work with food so I have to wear gloves with the powder in them, and wash them repeatedly) I recently bought jojoba oil for my hair, and my skin loves it as well. I've even started using it on my face after getting out of the shower, and it keeps my normally oily skin less oily.

My random hair thought... Damp bunning makes my hair sooo soft after being up for eight hours. So much more manageable.

Mavi
November 17th, 2016, 08:54 PM
Realized that I was way off the mark with my measuring! I was doing a great job measuring my hair itself, it's 46.5 inches (118cm) I'm happy to declare, however with the help of my boyfriend I found out that I was measuring my body markers ineffectively.
I thought classic on me was 46 and knee was 58, turns out classic was actually 43 and knee is 55! Definitely not complaining :P

Silverbleed
November 18th, 2016, 03:58 AM
@wispe & Crazywaves I experienced the same thing! One day I made a small mess with jojoba oil and had some oil left from the bottle. I didn't want to waste it so I tried it on my face. I took a shower right after and found out it helps my skin against drying out. Normally I get very painful dry red skin after I took a shower even on low heat. Since that day I always apply jojoba oil to my face before I take a shower. I'm also applying it on my hands once in a while! I didn't expect it would work so well, somehow it works with my acne too.

höpönasu
November 18th, 2016, 06:56 AM
Trimming done! There was some weird activity (read: damage and growth) with my bangs so I had to trim them 2". I didn't trim more than 0.3" off my length. Gee, forgot how even a slight trim feels so chopped!

Frankenstein
November 18th, 2016, 07:27 AM
I don't understand what the big deal is about invisibobbles. What's supposed to make them so great?

Mrstran
November 18th, 2016, 07:31 AM
Hair thought: How damaging is a Demi dye? Equivalent to blow drying your hair 3 times?

19se7en9
November 18th, 2016, 08:13 AM
Shower before bed and go to bed with semi wet hair - Wake up with straight hair that doesn't even need brushed.
Shower 2 hours before bed and go to bed with dry hair - Wake up looking like two squirrels spent the night fighting over a nut in my hair.

Arctic
November 18th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Since no-one else is here to see, I'll need to tell myself: Nice waves today, self!

Nique1202
November 18th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Hair thought: How damaging is a Demi dye? Equivalent to blow drying your hair 3 times?

I don't know if anyone could make a direct equivalence like that, especially since it's a different KIND of damage. Chemical damage would seem to affect mostly the outer cuticle of the hair with less damage the further in you look, while heat denatures the proteins throughout the hair shaft. And, different dyes have different amounts of developer and stuff, thus different levels of damage to begin with.

wispe
November 18th, 2016, 11:38 AM
I don't understand what the big deal is about invisibobbles. What's supposed to make them so great?

My sister, who has waist length thick hair (Like, a 6-7 inch ponytail) that snaps everything it comes in contact with, can wear a high pony with an invisibobble wrapped just twice and it stays all day without slipping. We've also used them at the ends of her braids and they don't slip, and they pull out far less hair on her than anything else. Plus she thinks her tassel looks cooler when the bobble "sinks" in and makes a saw pattern. I'm thinner (~2.75 inch) and these work excellent for my pony but I prefer braids and buns and the bobbles are a bit bulky for my ends. Basically, YMMV. They're excellent at gripping.

Suze
November 18th, 2016, 12:19 PM
I tried using the invisibobbles while working out and they slide right out of my hair. Also tried them with a messy bun and had to cut it out because it was al tangled up. Maybe I was being stupid for using it for a bun.

Wispe they have smaller micro ones for the ends of your braids or to make smaller ponytails and such.

Suze
November 18th, 2016, 12:23 PM
I am totally confused about the lenghts BSL and BSB. BSB is longer than BSL in the charts but your brastrap is always lower than your shoulderblades, right? *feels dumb*

Entangled
November 18th, 2016, 12:33 PM
I am totally confused about the lenghts BSL and BSB. BSB is longer than BSL in the charts but your brastrap is always lower than your shoulderblades, right? *feels dumb*

I have honestly not seen BSB used, but it seems to mean beyond shoulder blade, so it seems to be the BSL equivalent for non-bra-wearers.

Suze
November 18th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Really sorry, I gues my lenght chart isn't from this site then. So if I am like an inch below my bra strap I am Mid Back?

HairPlease
November 18th, 2016, 01:17 PM
Really sorry, I gues my lenght chart isn't from this site then. So if I am like an inch below my bra strap I am Mid Back?

Yeah, kind of. MBL is a highly debated hair length. I've always called MBL as that area between BSL and Waist. It depends on how high you wear the strap though. MBL to me = not quite waist but well past BSL.

Nique1202
November 18th, 2016, 01:31 PM

Yeah, kind of. MBL is a highly debated hair length. I've always called MBL as that area between BSL and Waist. It depends on how high you wear the strap though. MBL to me = not quite waist but well past BSL.

And then there are some folks like me who use midback and bsl interchangeably out of convenience and a dislike of bsl for various reasons as a measurement. (It doesn't mean anything to people who don't wear bras, everyone is shaped differently so bras sit at different places on each person's body, nobody can seem to agree if it's the top or the bottom of the bra to call the measurement, the measurement ought rightly to be called "bra-BAND length" since the straps are the bits that go over your shoulders... but this has all been hashed out many times and in many other threads.)

Llama
November 18th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Last night I was shopping at Earth Fare (not sure if this store is everywhere or just local) and saw John Masters Organics products were on a good sale so I snatched a couple bottles. I got the Lavender Rosemary shampoo and the Citrus Neroli conditioner. I am BLOWN away by these products. My hair feels so silky and is not tangling AT ALL.

I always thought I needed silicones for slip but I guess not? I never quite understood why that was seen as such a fact here on LHC. I have tried a lot of products and there was never a real pattern as far as which ones worked with or without silicones and which ones did not (if that makes sense). I feel like a products efficacy relies on it's formulation and not the presence of a single ingredient. Maybe it's just me!

vampyyri
November 18th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Last night I was shopping at Earth Fare (not sure if this store is everywhere or just local) and saw John Masters Organics products were on a good sale so I snatched a couple bottles. I got the Lavender Rosemary shampoo and the Citrus Neroli conditioner. I am BLOWN away by these products. My hair feels so silky and is not tangling AT ALL.

I always thought I needed silicones for slip but I guess not? I never quite understood why that was seen as such a fact here on LHC. I have tried a lot of products and there was never a real pattern as far as which ones worked with or without silicones and which ones did not (if that makes sense). I feel like a products efficacy relies on it's formulation and not the presence of a single ingredient. Maybe it's just me!

You're not alone! I find that my cone free products have a very good amount of slip. Cones give me slip as well, but my hair gets very angry with me when it's in a conditioner. Strangely enough coney serums work great for me.

Llama
November 18th, 2016, 05:14 PM
You're not alone! I find that my cone free products have a very good amount of slip. Cones give me slip as well, but my hair gets very angry with me when it's in a conditioner. Strangely enough coney serums work great for me.

More often than not, cone free conditioners make my hair tangly. But so do a lot of coney conditioners. I have tried a lot of products lol. But yeah coney serums have always worked very well for me, too. I can't believe I didn't need any serum after I washed my hair today. Twas a miracle lol

Andthetalltrees
November 18th, 2016, 07:54 PM
The front section of my hair definitely grows slower, I wonder why that is? I haven't trimmed in 8 months just letting it do it's own thing and the section in front of my ears has "only" grown 4-4.5 inches but the back has grown 5.5-6". I suspected it naturally grew in a deep V but I didn't realize it's because it literally grows slower in certain places

Kat
November 18th, 2016, 10:19 PM
Sometimes I am not sure when oiling/doing a conditioner treatment on my hair... after some time when my hair seems to have absorbed it, does it soak into my hair, or into my clothes? (I don't usually bun, just braid, so it could be all of the oil and whatever is soaking into the back of my shirt.)

ephemeri
November 19th, 2016, 07:08 AM
I wore my hair in a half-up yesterday and was complimented on its length by an acquaintance. She commented on 'how long it's getting' and 'how fast it's growing' which made me feel great since I rarely get comments on my hair these days.

I was also able to feel it against my upper back, which is something I'm noticing more lately. All this patience is (very) slowly paying off I guess!

triumphator!
November 19th, 2016, 07:30 AM
My hair is BSL when stretched! :joy: Getting closer to TBL again!

Frankenstein
November 19th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Does anyone else not wear their favorite hair toys/accessories very often for fear of breaking them? :lol:

irishsapphire
November 19th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Couple of things... Attemted a CW yesterday (HE LTR conditioner, Shea Moisture shampoo) - ambivalent as to feel and volume. Love the less shedding during detangling. We'll attempt tomorrow and see what happens. I'm not having any issues with the Shea Moisture being too heavy yet, so maybe after I use up all my HE conditioners, I might try a SM conditioner... Maybe the one for low porosity hair?

Also, I'm confused by my scalp. I was having really bad itching and dryness. I tried dandruff shampoos and it got worse. Tried Shea Moisture as it doesn't have any SLSes and for a few weeks happiness! No itching, no dryness, no stuff under the nails (ewww, sorry) when I scratched the scalp. This week? Flaking again. But no itching and no stuff under the nails. Just flaking in one particular spot. I'm wondering if it could be a fungal style thing? Which could contribute to why my hair won't thicken up in that spot? Definitely going to be talking to my doctor... Just hope she can diagnose it and I don't have to find a Dermatologist....

And finally. What can I use up old shampoos for? Dilute 50/50 or 25/75 and use for makeup brushes? Does it work as well as conditioner for shaving?

PixieP
November 19th, 2016, 04:41 PM
My husband's hair is about collarbone length. Mine is nearly hip. And his buns are bigger than mine :(

littlestarface
November 19th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Couple of things... Attemted a CW yesterday (HE LTR conditioner, Shea Moisture shampoo) - ambivalent as to feel and volume. Love the less shedding during detangling. We'll attempt tomorrow and see what happens. I'm not having any issues with the Shea Moisture being too heavy yet, so maybe after I use up all my HE conditioners, I might try a SM conditioner... Maybe the one for low porosity hair?

Also, I'm confused by my scalp. I was having really bad itching and dryness. I tried dandruff shampoos and it got worse. Tried Shea Moisture as it doesn't have any SLSes and for a few weeks happiness! No itching, no dryness, no stuff under the nails (ewww, sorry) when I scratched the scalp. This week? Flaking again. But no itching and no stuff under the nails. Just flaking in one particular spot. I'm wondering if it could be a fungal style thing? Which could contribute to why my hair won't thicken up in that spot? Definitely going to be talking to my doctor... Just hope she can diagnose it and I don't have to find a Dermatologist....

And finally. What can I use up old shampoos for? Dilute 50/50 or 25/75 and use for makeup brushes? Does it work as well as conditioner for shaving?

I use some shampoos for body wash and cleaning the shower, sink and my hands.

Nique1202
November 19th, 2016, 04:54 PM

I don't know about for shaving or makeup brushes specifically, but you can definitely use shampoo as body wash or hand soap. Also works well for washing delicate garments like bras by hand, since the same sebum that shampoo is good at cleaning is also what mainly dirties garments worn next to the skin.

lithostoic
November 19th, 2016, 10:30 PM
I see we were talking about coney serums. Can someone recommend me a good one? Drugstore/inexpensive?

maborosi
November 20th, 2016, 12:17 AM
Got one hell of a...I don't even think I could call it a "backhanded compliment" the other day that really dampened my mood.

I was out and had my hair down, which I don't generally do because it's getting tonwhere it's not really practical to do so without some preparing and foresight.

I was in my local supermarket when a regular from my work stopped me, said hi, you know, all that stuff. She finally asked about my hair since he noticed it was down, typical "Is that your real hair" stuff. I told her I colored my hair, and this lady, I kid you not, literally said "Oh, that's too bad. I thought it was really pretty."

What the..."that's too bad?" And then it "was" pretty? What does that even mean? Like...my hair can't possibly look good and be dyed, or something? Because last time I checked, my hair looks pretty good. I work hard and take care of myself and my hair is a big, stress relieving hobby for me. When people make thoughtless comments like that, it hurts my feelings a lot because it reduces the work I put into it.

If I see a head of hair that's dyed AND healthy, I automatically respect that because I understand that it's hard work to change your hair color AND keep it healthy looking.

I may have just taken it too personally because I've had one of those crappy weeks, and I just got over the flu AND an infection, but...meh. People need to be more considerate.... I don't want to turn this into my own little "Grumpy hair thoughts megathread" corner, but I figured you guys would understand.

On a positive note, I returned to said store and bought some Fekkai glossing creme. This stuff is the bomb. Only downside is that it makes my hair so ridiculously slippy that I can't do updos, so this is going to be my go-to styling aid for ponytails and wearing my hair down :o

Nique1202
November 20th, 2016, 05:03 AM
I see we were talking about coney serums. Can someone recommend me a good one? Drugstore/inexpensive?

I really like the Garnier Fructis Marvelous Oil Frizz Defy. It's mostly silicones and jojoba by the ingredient order, and I find the scent very light and short-lasting, especially by Garnier standards. It also lasts a long time, I've had one bottle for me and my mom for over a year and it's not half gone.

Arctic
November 20th, 2016, 05:33 AM
I like Got2B smoothing lotion (smooth operator in US). It's lotion (thicker consistency) and not liquid serum per se, but it - in my opinion anyway - acts like a serum-like finishing product. It's also - at least on my hair - impossible to "overdose", it never makes my hair dirty looking. It's mostly silicones, and makes my hair feel good. I should buy a new bottle actually!

Kat
November 20th, 2016, 07:29 AM
Got one hell of a...I don't even think I could call it a "backhanded compliment" the other day that really dampened my mood.

Maybe she wanted to believe that such a color occurs naturally? (I think yours is lovely, dyed or not, but I guess I might maybe get an extra thrill knowing someone is lucky enough to have hair that naturally grows that color? I dunno.)

lithostoic
November 20th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Thanks Nique and Arctic.

JustPam
November 20th, 2016, 09:44 AM
I use Hask argan oil serum which is good and has a nice smell

vampyyri
November 20th, 2016, 10:08 AM
I wonder if I need to adjust my routine for winter time. We just got our first snow here, and I'm unsure of how to protect my hair—I have some knit berets that I could possibly use... not sure if they would fit a bun though.

littlestarface
November 20th, 2016, 10:19 AM

I was out and had my hair down, which I don't generally do because it's getting tonwhere it's not really practical to do so without some preparing and foresight.

I was in my local supermarket when a regular from my work stopped me, said hi, you know, all that stuff. She finally asked about my hair since he noticed it was down, typical "Is that your real hair" stuff. I told her I colored my hair, and this lady, I kid you not, literally said "Oh, that's too bad. I thought it was really pretty."

What the..."that's too bad?" And then it "was" pretty? What does that even mean? Like...my hair can't possibly look good and be dyed, or something? Because last time I checked, my hair looks pretty good. I work hard and take care of myself and my hair is a big, stress relieving hobby for me. When people make thoughtless comments like that, it hurts my feelings a lot because it reduces the work I put into it.

If I see a head of hair that's dyed AND healthy, I automatically respect that because I understand that it's hard work to change your hair color AND keep it healthy looking.

I may have just taken it too personally because I've had one of those crappy weeks, and I just got over the flu AND an infection, but...meh. People need to be more considerate.... I don't want to turn this into my own little "Grumpy hair thoughts megathread" corner, but I figured you guys would understand.

On a positive note, I returned to said store and bought some Fekkai glossing creme. This stuff is the bomb. Only downside is that it makes my hair so ridiculously slippy that I can't do updos, so this is going to be my go-to styling aid for ponytails and wearing my hair down :o

I'm so sorry maborosi, I get that way too when someone says something about my ends and how fragile my hair is, it makes me just wanna cut it off and not do anything to my hair again. Some people are just insensitive jerks who just say whatever comes out of their mouths.

Don't you think on it for 1 minute tho, your hair and you are gorgeous I swear to it, so please keep taking care of it it's one of my favorites here. I know alot of the time everyone here is suppose to be supportive but when I give a compliment it's always 100% true I don't do fake stuff lol

Suze
November 20th, 2016, 01:32 PM
You know your hair is fine when you have a S&D session and your like 'oh I see a split...oh never mind it's just 3 hairs clumped together'. I found 3 white dots and one fairy knot. This is progress! When I was at about this length before I ues to see so many white dots, fairy knots and split ends (actual ones :) )

Kirby-oh
November 20th, 2016, 04:04 PM
I have never worn my hair pulled back instead of parted out in the world yet. Not once. I am embarrassed of my hairline and the wisps that come with it. I'm going out with it today though. I think the wisps look just fine. Still wish the hairline was a bit better, but it's not a trainwreck unlike the last few times I thought about going out with it pulled back. :)

mizukitty
November 20th, 2016, 04:55 PM
Was at Whole Foods today and stumbled upon a $40 "all natural super shine hair serum." A quick scan of the ingredients (you guys have conditioned me too well) reveals it was nothing more than aloe gel and glycerin, followed by a few random oils. Skeptical, I pumped some of the tester bottle's oddly sticky gel into my palms and rubbed, and then smoothed over my hair. Honestly was not expecting how smooth and shiny my hair was after! My boyfriend kept complimenting it all day. Definitely gonna experiment DIYing this one, and when I fine-tune it, I'll definitely post a recipe. I'm thinking (for fine, medium thickness hair at around BSL) like a squirt of aloe gel, a tiny drop of glycerin, and a drop of oil will do it. And no need to preserve as you can mix it up fresh every time. *happy*

littlestarface
November 20th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Was at Whole Foods today and stumbled upon a $40 "all natural super shine hair serum." A quick scan of the ingredients (you guys have conditioned me too well) reveals it was nothing more than aloe gel and glycerin, followed by a few random oils. Skeptical, I pumped some of the tester bottle's oddly sticky gel into my palms and rubbed, and then smoothed over my hair. Honestly was not expecting how smooth and shiny my hair was after! My boyfriend kept complimenting it all day. Definitely gonna experiment DIYing this one, and when I fine-tune it, I'll definitely post a recipe. I'm thinking (for fine, medium thickness hair at around BSL) like a squirt of aloe gel, a tiny drop of glycerin, and a drop of oil will do it. And no need to preserve as you can mix it up fresh every time. *happy*

Dam! 40bucks! *faints*

littlestarface
November 20th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Every time I put my heat cap on I think i'm gonna electrocute myself :\

Frankenstein
November 20th, 2016, 10:30 PM
What's the purpose of aloe Vera gel when applied to wet hair? Does it help seal in moisture?

HeartofHaleth
November 20th, 2016, 10:36 PM
Settling into a nice new semi-coney routine. I'm still using my old sulfate-free shampoo and cone-free conditioner, but now I'm also using a leave-in with amodimethicone. The best of both worlds! :cheer:

JustPam
November 21st, 2016, 03:01 AM
Seems my hair is still not a fan of coconut oil, put some on as a pre-poo last night and hair was a nightmare to detangle, even with the tangle teezer. Texture is weird, plasticy but no slip at all.

Suze
November 21st, 2016, 03:24 AM
Seems my hair is still not a fan of coconut oil, put some on as a pre-poo last night and hair was a nightmare to detangle, even with the tangle teezer. Texture is weird, plasticy but no slip at all.
Have you tried jojoba oil? :)

JustPam
November 21st, 2016, 03:59 AM
Have you tried jojoba oil? :)

I have used it before as a leave in and it is pretty good, but I try not to use it too often since it's just a small bottle and it's not the cheapest stuff, I primarily use it for skincare. Maybe olive oil could work as a "heavy" oil for me?

Tosca
November 21st, 2016, 04:36 AM
I wonder if I need to adjust my routine for winter time. We just got our first snow here, and I'm unsure of how to protect my hair—I have some knit berets that I could possibly use... not sure if they would fit a bun though.

When I travelled to New Zealand a few months ago, I wore a beanie like this; http://gloimg.rosewholesale.com/ROSE/pdm-product-pic/Clothing/2016/09/12/source-img/20160912182506_61439.jpg?01 and it fitted over my bun just fine.

I have used it before as a leave in and it is pretty good, but I try not to use it too often since it's just a small bottle and it's not the cheapest stuff, I primarily use it for skincare. Maybe olive oil could work as a "heavy" oil for me?

I like olive oil for my hair, but I use it very sparingly. I pour a small amount (¾in/2cm circle) on my palm, tip the excess oil into the sink, smear the oil on my hands, and then apply to my hair.

mizukitty
November 21st, 2016, 09:18 AM
What's the purpose of aloe Vera gel when applied to wet hair? Does it help seal in moisture?

Seal, not so much in my experience, but rather acts as an all natural low hold gel. So for wavies and curlies it's great to cut back frizz!

Lizzie.torp
November 21st, 2016, 09:47 AM
I oiled my hair overnight then my cat was a greaseball for about three days. I'm sure it's unrelated.

lithostoic
November 21st, 2016, 10:59 AM
Still impressed by my knock-off invisibobbles. One has held my braid for 24 hours now! My hair is pretty oily so that's amazing!

Frankenstein
November 21st, 2016, 11:30 AM
Seal, not so much in my experience, but rather acts as an all natural low hold gel. So for wavies and curlies it's great to cut back frizz!

Ah okay, thanks. I used it last night and my flyaways did seem a bit less wild today.

JustPam
November 21st, 2016, 01:57 PM
I like olive oil for my hair, but I use it very sparingly. I pour a small amount (¾in/2cm circle) on my palm, tip the excess oil into the sink, smear the oil on my hands, and then apply to my hair.

Ah well I would be using it as a pre-poo rather than a leave in, so would likely saturate my hair and let it sit for an hour before wash time. Last time I used olive oil I my hair was in better condition, but it worked well, only one way to find out if it still does I guess!

irishsapphire
November 21st, 2016, 03:35 PM
I use some shampoos for body wash and cleaning the shower, sink and my hands.

I don't know about for shaving or makeup brushes specifically, but you can definitely use shampoo as body wash or hand soap. Also works well for washing delicate garments like bras by hand, since the same sebum that shampoo is good at cleaning is also what mainly dirties garments worn next to the skin.

Thanks you two! Diluted body wash we go.... Never thought about washing delicate stuff in diluted shampoo....

I oiled my hair overnight then my cat was a greaseball for about three days. I'm sure it's unrelated.

Poor kitty!!! :lol::lol:

lithostoic
November 21st, 2016, 03:57 PM
Bought the Garnier Fructis sleek & shine anti frizz serum. Can't wait to try it out! It has dimethiconol.

So it smells really good, I took before and after pics and I'll take another in the morning when it's soaked in. Or whenever it soaks in.

So here's my pics. Before, after, and more after. Definitely sleeker c: Impressive for week-old hair.

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/15137666_1489602631056484_7198165094759145503_o.jp g?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/15111129_1489602657723148_5903778536705213340_o.jp g?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/15138383_1489602687723145_8136150622715578247_o.jp g?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

höpönasu
November 21st, 2016, 04:13 PM
Dear body, I wish you'd already taken the hint. Stop growing body hair in parts of my body where I stubbornly shave it off every few weeks. Instead, put that growth towards the hair in my scalp! Thanks!

irishsapphire
November 21st, 2016, 08:00 PM
Dear body, I wish you'd already taken the hint. Stop growing body hair in parts of my body where I stubbornly shave it off every few weeks. Instead, put that growth towards the hair in my scalp! Thanks!

Oh wouldn't that be fantastic! Imagine, never shaving again and our hair grows amazingly!

Silverbleed
November 22nd, 2016, 04:19 AM

I couldn't help but laugh really hard about this one xD I can relate hahaha

Arctic
November 22nd, 2016, 06:20 AM
OMG I had a relevation a little while ago.

The TL;DR version is: not using nozzles on hair dryer cuts the drying time to just a fraction of how long it takes with nozzles.

Long version. So my when my old hair dryer died and I bought a new one (summer 2015 I think) I chose one with much higher power than my old one had had, and I hoped it would cut down the drying time, which was really getting on my nerves even with a (then) approx shoulder length hair with low ii thickness. Alas I didn't notice that much difference in the drying time after all, and was quite disappointed about it. Yeah it was slightly faster but not like I had expected.

Now I always have been using nozzles because I have learned it's better that way. I have 2, a concentration nozzle (not super narrow) and a diffuser. I favoured the concentration one because a) it was noticeably quicker to use than the diffuser and b) I usually choose not to encourage my natural waves, because I have multiple textures - straivy hair if you will - and it just does not look nice without some extra manipulation.

So lately I have been testing my dryer without the concentration (or diffuser) nozzle, and wow it dried my hair quick! Like in few minutes only! This is changing my morning game 100%! And what's best, I can't see any negative effects, which had kept me from using a dryer without the nozzle for ever.

Of course if one wants an actual blow out, then the nozzle is a must. But if one wants to dry the roots fast them whip it into a bun, then no nozzle is my friend! I think that even for the days when I do want an actual blow out, I will start, from now on, with the no nozzle pre-drying.

(Also I it's worth to say I don't think curlies will be that pleased with this method, and are wiser to stick with diffusers if the aim is a curly hair style.)

Eastbound&Down
November 22nd, 2016, 01:45 PM
My hair needs to hurry up and get to SL so I can pull it back! I think one more inch and I should be able to get everything back sufficiently. I think I may try to do a mini DT tomorrow night.

alimc
November 22nd, 2016, 02:48 PM
My hair needs to hurry up and get to SL so I can pull it back! I think one more inch and I should be able to get everything back sufficiently.

I'm with you on that one. I've still not quite caught the bits of hair that fall out of my pony above the ears and end up looking like antenna. Great look! :agree:

Eastbound&Down
November 22nd, 2016, 02:57 PM
I'm with you on that one. I've still not quite caught the bits of hair that fall out of my pony above the ears and end up looking like antenna. Great look! :agree:

Mine problem is the very bottom layer is still just too short.

Stub
November 22nd, 2016, 07:07 PM
Bought the Garnier Fructis sleek & shine anti frizz serum. Can't wait to try it out! It has dimethiconol.

So it smells really good, I took before and after pics and I'll take another in the morning when it's soaked in. Or whenever it soaks in.

So here's my pics. Before, after, and more after. Definitely sleeker c: Impressive for week-old hair.

I love that stuff!! Also their sleek and shine shampoo and conditioner. I think it might be my holy grail. Which is kind of sad because i have about 5 bottles of various other conditioners and shampoos to use up or discard now. But why use crap that doesn't work when this stuff WORKS?! :)

lithostoic
November 22nd, 2016, 07:10 PM
Stub Does it have cones? I'll probably need cones once I hit waist.

Frankenstein
November 22nd, 2016, 10:40 PM
Note to future self: Do not do rope braids when your hair is horribly covered in build-up and already a tangled mess.

Stub
November 23rd, 2016, 08:52 AM
Stub Does it have cones? I'll probably need cones once I hit waist.

Yes they do. My hair loves cones, in fact it's pretty unmanageable without them!

Eastbound&Down
November 23rd, 2016, 09:33 AM
I love that stuff!! Also their sleek and shine shampoo and conditioner. I think it might be my holy grail. Which is kind of sad because i have about 5 bottles of various other conditioners and shampoos to use up or discard now. But why use crap that doesn't work when this stuff WORKS?! :)

You can use conditioner as shaving cream and shampoo as body wash. Or "donate" it to other members of your family lol my son has used any S&Cs that I didn't like.

Lizzie.torp
November 23rd, 2016, 05:57 PM
I was trying to trim my layers out and you know what? I don't even know why I was doing it. My hair looks better with layers and I prefer messy braids. So, I freshened my layers and it looks nice.

And this is my 69th post. I'm so proud. :cool:

lithostoic
November 23rd, 2016, 08:38 PM
Lizzie.torp Congrats haha.

KittyBird
November 24th, 2016, 06:59 AM
Booked an appointment at the hairdresser! I want to go shorter for christmas. :cool:

Silverbleed
November 24th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Booked an appointment at the hairdresser! I want to go shorter for christmas. :cool:

Good luck! Please share the results with us, you've got such lovely hair! :flower:

Nique1202
November 24th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Last wash I waited an extra day past when I usually shower and I had way more than the usual shedding, and I was a little concerned but planned to wait until this wash to see if it was a one-off. This wash, my shedding is back to normal, but I also washed when I usually do (when the greasy look was only the 3-4 inches next to the roots and not its full 5-inch potential range). Now I'm beginning to wonder if I'm one of those people who sheds more when I stretch washes too far, or if it was a fluke (if I'd removed fewer sheds while styling through the week and didn't notice, or something). Sometimes this "paying attention to your hair's habits" thing is overrated. :wigtongue

KittyBird
November 24th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Good luck! Please share the results with us, you've got such lovely hair! :flower:
I will! The appointment is on December 6th, because the hairdresser I wanted is booked until then. Clearly she's a popular lady, because the other hairdressers at the salon had lots of available slots. She's the one who did my big chop in July.

JustPam
November 24th, 2016, 11:02 AM
Gross hair thought: the size of the hair clog I pulled out of the bath drain was ridiculous. Think I need a new hair trap.

hayheadsbird
November 24th, 2016, 11:20 AM
My normal go to buns are all falling out, apparently I've lost the ability to use a stick. Guessing I'm going through an awkward stage! Will have to start experimenting with different buns again, as now it's too long for some to work the way they did, but still to short/thick for others :/

Ficcare still working though!

Arctic
November 24th, 2016, 01:07 PM
My normal go to buns are all falling out, apparently I've lost the ability to use a stick. Guessing I'm going through an awkward stage! Will have to start experimenting with different buns again, as now it's too long for some to work the way they did, but still to short/thick for others :/

Ficcare still working though!

I just had a problem today with my usually trustworthy u-shaped hair pins. My hair just wanted to spring free.

hayheadsbird
November 24th, 2016, 03:42 PM
I just had a problem today with my usually trustworthy u-shaped hair pins. My hair just wanted to spring free.

I've given up tonight and gone with a braid instead. It wants to spring free no matter what apparently!

Frankenstein
November 24th, 2016, 07:52 PM
I got to braid my sister's hair today. It's only about APL but it has very pretty highlights she got done a few months ago. It made me feel the color itch for a minute there :p

turtlelover
November 25th, 2016, 12:03 AM
I'm going through kind of a benign neglect phase while I grow out more of my layers. Other than my normal henna, I've done literally nothing to my hair lately other than shampoo, condition, and comb it out after a shower. I haven't even been putting it up, which probably isn't good as it has been tangling more lately as the layers grow out. I should probably learn a new updo to get me out of the latest rut.

Kiiruna
November 25th, 2016, 04:14 AM
I haven't trimmed properly since April and my ends are pretty much full of split ends because of perm damage. I just don't want to lose length (yeah I know, it's stupid), and I feel like if I trim my ends just get splitted again very quickly. I have found a routine that works for me: it keeps my ends soft and tangle-free and I don't feel like I need trimming.
Please someone forgive my sin of not micro-trimming :D

Nique1202
November 25th, 2016, 04:32 AM
After yesterday's wash I remembered to use my serum before I french braided it all (usually I only remember when I go to take it down) so fingers crossed I'll have a smooth takedown, fewer tangles, and maybe better braid wave hold today than usual. I've got appointments and errands downtown and I want maximum thud factor as I walk around. :stirpot:

Salwety
November 25th, 2016, 06:02 AM
I haven't trimmed properly since April and my ends are pretty much full of split ends because of perm damage. I just don't want to lose length (yeah I know, it's stupid), and I feel like if I trim my ends just get splitted again very quickly. I have found a routine that works for me: it keeps my ends soft and tangle-free and I don't feel like I need trimming.
Please someone forgive my sin of not micro-trimming :D

Kiiruna ... what is your new routine to avoide split ends.

Kiiruna
November 25th, 2016, 06:41 AM
Salwety, I 1. wash with diluted SLS shampoo or non-sulphate shampoo and then use 2. cone-free but heavy conditioner 3. spray leave-in 4. (almond) oil the ends 5. Freya's Hair Salve leave in from NightBlooming :)