PDA

View Full Version : The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179

Cg
June 27th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Not a fan of summer heat, but my hair loves the humidity. It's looks like 2a after washing today! :happydance:

Nique1202
June 27th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Nothing quite as satisfying as clarifying day. :cloud9:

PoysinIvy
June 27th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Skritching during the first shampoo after henna feels like heaven.

gingerknits
June 27th, 2016, 02:39 PM
I've been measuring my hair length wrong this entire time. Thought I was at 27" because I was starting my measurement from the top of my head instead of my hairline. Actually at 31". :doh:

spirals
June 27th, 2016, 04:56 PM
I was just thinking about how good it feels to do a cold rinse on my hair during the hot summer months :lol:

Time to put an ice cube inside a top knot and let it run down your head as it melts.

PixieP
June 27th, 2016, 05:30 PM
I need to learn more buns. I can do the LWB, and I can do a Chinese bun, but the whole point of these buns for me is no elastic. I don't understand the nautilus, have too little hair for a Cinnabun to look nice, and my hair just falls out of Spidermoms bun. Which other buns are "easy" buns that most can do?

turtlelover
June 27th, 2016, 05:40 PM
I need to learn more buns. I can do the LWB, and I can do a Chinese bun, but the whole point of these buns for me is no elastic. I don't understand the nautilus, have too little hair for a Cinnabun to look nice, and my hair just falls out of Spidermoms bun. Which other buns are "easy" buns that most can do?

I am horrible at buns, but I find a disc bun pretty easy on my BSL hair, and it stays put pretty well with just 2 spin pins. :-)

lithostoic
June 27th, 2016, 08:12 PM
Bought a 4 dollar pack of 3 scunci claw clips. One black, one brown, one clear c: Now I can put my hair up a little better. My other two clips, one is missing several teeth and one is a tad small. They're both over 10 years old.

Decoy24601
June 27th, 2016, 11:03 PM
Nooo, I just broke one of my brand new hairsticks :boohoo:. I should have been more careful since it's a wooden hairstick. I put way too much pressure on it while trying out a new bun. I bought a pair too, so now the pair is incomplete...

JustPam
June 28th, 2016, 03:45 AM
The new keratin conditioner I got (Creightons Keratin Pro) has totally sorted out my velcro hair, thank goodness. And I got nice braidwaves this morning, ponytail day it is!

Decoy24601
June 28th, 2016, 05:26 AM
I'm kind of wanting to grow my hair out until at least knee-length, just to see if I can do it. I know I'm capable of having a thick hemline at TBL (the only reason why I don't have that now is because of layers that I'm still growing out), so I'm curious to see how my hair is at classic. I might just try to grow it to thigh-length, then microtrim out the layers while growing to knee if my ends do well at thigh. When I joined this forum I thought, "Hmm... maybe a few more inches would be nice, but classic is too long for me", then I became set on classic length, and now I'm even wondering about lengths beyond that. My perspective of hair length has completely changed since joining this forum.

lillielil
June 28th, 2016, 07:28 AM
My ends are soaking up a lot of jojoba oil. I put probably 10 drops on both yesterday and today over left-in (as opposed to leave-in) conditioner, and it isn't greasy at all. I'm guessing there is a fine line between oil:shiny and oil:dusty.

My kid's opinions about my hair are getting tiresome. This morning again he let me know that he does not like my hair. It was down and wet, which isn't anyone's favorite, especially when hugging. I let him know I was going to put it up. As he walked down the hall to the bathroom, he yelled "WITH A TAIL. DO IT WITH A TAIL." Sometimes my pink/purple/blue/turqoise ends clash with my outfit, dude. I am not going to put it in a braid when that happens. Also, none of your business. Not anyone's business except mine.

Cg
June 28th, 2016, 08:18 AM

A pha might work for you. And with Spidermoms, I generally pin it and still leave the stick or fork in. Makes it feel more secure.

diddiedaisy
June 28th, 2016, 08:46 AM
My ends are soaking up a lot of jojoba oil. I put probably 10 drops on both yesterday and today over left-in (as opposed to leave-in) conditioner, and it isn't greasy at all. I'm guessing there is a fine line between oil:shiny and oil:dusty.

My kid's opinions about my hair are getting tiresome. This morning again he let me know that he does not like my hair. It was down and wet, which isn't anyone's favorite, especially when hugging. I let him know I was going to put it up. As he walked down the hall to the bathroom, he yelled "WITH A TAIL. DO IT WITH A TAIL." Sometimes my pink/purple/blue/turqoise ends clash with my outfit, dude. I am not going to put it in a braid when that happens. Also, none of your business. Not anyone's business except mine.

Kids are so funny, and you gotta admire their honesty :D

pailin
June 28th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Tried acv rinse tonight. Ugh, the smell! I officially can't stand it. White vinegar or citric acid for me!

Inga-Marjukka
June 28th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Bleh, my hair has turned to a weird colour without me noticing before now. The underside of my lengths is really dark compared to my otherwise bleached hair and it's like dark orange-y brown compared to the rest. Do I have to resort to some mild bleaching product that removes brassiness or put lemon on it or shudder::doh:

Arctic
June 28th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Maybe clarify and chelate first, that will probably help to brighten your hair. Do you have iron or something in your water? Have you been using lot of DIY stuff? Some oils, for example, can affect the colour of very light hair.

Other than that, underside is often darker than canopy hair, especially in the summer if person wear hair down a lot.

Inga-Marjukka
June 28th, 2016, 12:40 PM
It's not that long since I last clarified (Herbina) but I think I'll do it again. The only ingredient that I've used lately in DIY that I haven't used before is egg yolk. I find it hard to believe that it could have something to do with it though...

ephemeri
June 28th, 2016, 06:05 PM
Very random hair thought that occurred while taking a shower today: I have low porosity arm hair! Water just beads up on my arm hair. I tried to smush it around, to see if it would absorb... nope!

I found it amusing :whistle:

Tosca
June 28th, 2016, 07:37 PM
So has anyone else had luck with the humidity and shampooing only roots and conditioning the rest? My hair today seems quite nice not fluffy

I always do this. I shampoo my head, rinse out and condition from my ears down. If I condition my head hair I find that my hair gets greasier much quicker (washing twice a week instead of once a week).

Ah, the bossy stage. Back when my neice was about 2 years old, she was very insistent on everyone using 'their' mug and no-one else's. If her grandpa tried to use her mum's mug, she would be all 'no that's /mum's/ mug you can't use that'. She grew out of it after a while.

turtlelover
June 28th, 2016, 09:04 PM
Now that my hair is getting into BSL territory, waist length just doesn't seem very long! I am starting to think about hip and tailbone! Tailbone length hair was my childhood dream, so if it could get that long w/out thinning out at the ends too much, I would seriously consider going for it. Visually, that is my favorite length on a lot of people.

Frankenstein
June 28th, 2016, 10:10 PM
I've been noticing a lot more hair loss after washing lately. Maybe a summertime shed.

Decoy24601
June 28th, 2016, 10:20 PM
I'm considering transitioning into a fully herbal hair-care routine. I'm tired of struggling to find shampoos and conditioners that don't irritate my skin. I'm going to start experimenting with herbal recipes for shampoo and conditioner when I have the money to start that up (I'll be buying in bulk). I'll probably start getting Nightblooming Oils and hair salves too (my hair moisturizer does really bother my allergies). Even the "all natural" shampoos and conditioners I find have added fragrances like hexyl cinnamal that I'm really sensitive to. Hopefully, switching to a herbal routine will let my eczema and skin issues calm down.

Nique1202
June 29th, 2016, 04:20 AM
I threw caution to the wind in a very literal sense yesterday and wore my hair loose while the wind was gusting to about 30 miles/50 km per hour. The detangling wasn't even all that bad afterward, only took me about ten minutes with my comb and brush. Considering I was out for more than an hour, I'd say it was worth it. :bigtongue:

Adorkable One
June 29th, 2016, 06:34 AM
I just cowashed today with my Tresemme Naturals conditioner. I had stocked up months ago when they were on sale at Target. It's since been discontinued, thus, I am cherishing the very last of my stash. I have a heavy heart knowing it's no longer available to purchase. It's the perfect co-wash for me. It leaves my hair perfectly balanced, and gives my hair such a nice, silky slip. I hate the new naturals line Tresemme came out with. Well, I shouldn't say "hate" because I haven't tried it yet. But the smell of the conditioners are terrible to me, I don't want to try them. It's my protest for their discontinuing of the Naturals line! Why?! There's no way it didn't sell well! Lol

gingerknits
June 29th, 2016, 06:55 AM
I just cowashed today with my Tresemme Naturals conditioner. I had stocked up months ago when they were on sale at Target. It's since been discontinued, thus, I am cherishing the very last of my stash. I have a heavy heart knowing it's no longer available to purchase. It's the perfect co-wash for me. It leaves my hair perfectly balanced, and gives my hair such a nice, silky slip. I hate the new naturals line Tresemme came out with. Well, I shouldn't say "hate" because I haven't tried it yet. But the smell of the conditioners are terrible to me, I don't want to try them. It's my protest for their discontinuing of the Naturals line! Why?! There's no way it didn't sell well! Lol

I hadn't tried the Naturals line before it was discontinued, so I can't really compare directly; but I do co-wash with the Tresemme Botanique and it does all the same things you mentioned on my fine 2b hair. Maybe it won't be so bad! :smile:

Adorkable One
June 29th, 2016, 06:57 AM
I hadn't tried the Naturals line before it was discontinued, so I can't really compare directly; but I do co-wash with the Tresemme Botanique and it does all the same things you mentioned on my fine 2b hair. Maybe it won't be so bad! :smile:

Maybe. I guess I'll have to try them some day. Maybe once the last of my stash is gone. A day I don't look forward to. Haha! XD

Andthetalltrees
June 29th, 2016, 08:07 AM
My hair is as long as it was in March before I cut it! This is the length I keep cutting back up to chin at because I hate it, but I have to persevere for these last 1.5-2 inches so I can be shoulder again finally.
Might try inversion method again, It worked once so maybe since I haven't done it in years it'll cause a spurt?(I can hope)

saaraelisabeth
June 29th, 2016, 11:33 AM
I realized my hair won't grow any faster despite the fact that I keep measuring it on a daily basis. :D On the contrary, it feels like my hair doesn't grow at all... I'm just too impatient because looking back some old pictures I can tell my hair has grown! Why can't it grow overnight?!

Frankenstein
June 29th, 2016, 12:50 PM
My hair is so tangly this week and keeps breaking due to said tangles... I'm going to do a treatment tomorrow but I'm not sure if I should go for moisture or protein...

Inga-Marjukka
June 29th, 2016, 01:52 PM
I just accidentally hit a yogurt bowl to the floor after dipping my hair in it when whipping my hair from one side to the other. :violin:

MINAKO
June 29th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Reporting trim of 1/2 inch, mission successfull. This goes really fast now. I remember how i could waste a good 30 minutes on deciding where to cut and snip away, now it takes 5-10. Maintaining is fun!!

trolleypup
June 29th, 2016, 07:14 PM
I threw caution to the wind in a very literal sense yesterday and wore my hair loose while the wind was gusting to about 30 miles/50 km per hour. The detangling wasn't even all that bad afterward, only took me about ten minutes with my comb and brush. Considering I was out for more than an hour, I'd say it was worth it. :bigtongue:
It just feels so good...worth the price!

zashin66
June 29th, 2016, 07:20 PM
I realized my hair won't grow any faster despite the fact that I keep measuring it on a daily basis. :D On the contrary, it feels like my hair doesn't grow at all... I'm just too impatient because looking back some old pictures I can tell my hair has grown! Why can't it grow overnight?!

I have not been measuring for the same reason. Lol

pili
June 29th, 2016, 07:27 PM
I need to do a treatment and wash my hair...desperately. I'm. Just. So. Busy.

Ana H.
June 29th, 2016, 08:42 PM
My random hair thought is more of a question. Everyone mentions drinking lots of water and eating a healthy diet as a way to keep your hair moisturized and healthy. I don’t get why they say that. Isn’t your hair dead? Your body can’t deliver nutrients directly to you hair, correct? Obviously your scalp and follicles are alive and what you put in your mouth affects that. But that can’t moisturize your hair... it only affects the new hair coming in under the scalp. Am I right?

Decoy24601
June 29th, 2016, 08:57 PM
My random hair thought is more of a question. Everyone mentions drinking lots of water and eating a healthy diet as a way to keep your hair moisturized and healthy. I don’t get why they say that. Isn’t your hair dead? Your body can’t deliver nutrients directly to you hair, correct? Obviously your scalp and follicles are alive and what you put in your mouth affects that. But that can’t moisturize your hair... it only affects the new hair coming in under the scalp. Am I right?

You're right, it can't moisturize your hair, but if your body is lacking nutrients your body will not grow hair as well. With my hair it's very obvious that for a year because of stress and eating poorly my hair started growing thinner and I've been easily getting feathered splits all the way up the shaft even though I don't use heat or dye my hair.

Beachbabydara
June 29th, 2016, 09:03 PM
I have been S&D a lot lately and I have to say that as I snip the little split ends off, I get this feeling that they seem to materialize again the next week. I wonder if this is all in vain.
I have highlights and keratin...
And although I know the science of it, I have to keep telling myself that the hair is growing from my head, and not at the ends...:rolleyes:

Nique1202
June 30th, 2016, 05:21 AM
The thought just occurred to me that I'm at a length now where I could be inspiration for some newbie the way so many of you were inspirations for me when I first started growing out. Now I've got the warm fuzzies which is a little unpleasant on a day that started out hot and muggy already. :laugh:

My hair is so tangly this week and keeps breaking due to said tangles... I'm going to do a treatment tomorrow but I'm not sure if I should go for moisture or protein...

When in doubt, I'd do a little of both.

It just feels so good...worth the price!

Yeah. I keep telling myself, what's the point if I'm not enjoying my hair to the utmost? And if that means a little extra detangling and a couple of new split ends now and then, well, that's not even a big price to pay for me.

You're absolutely right. Drinking water won't help your hair stop being less dry, not the hair that's grown out already or the hair that's growing out now because water can still evaporate out of it. Also most people don't have to drink as much water as they think they do to stay hydrated since coffee, tea, soda, juice, and moist foods all contribute water too. And, a healthy lifestyle can only affect the hair that's growing out while you're doing it. Often even if you change your lifestyle and hair care habits it can still take months or years to see significant differences because of old length being in poor condition to start with.

spirals
June 30th, 2016, 06:25 PM
I just accidentally hit a yogurt bowl to the floor after dipping my hair in it when whipping my hair from one side to the other. :violin:

So totally something I would do. :p

Decoy24601
June 30th, 2016, 06:30 PM
I just realized that I'm used to having my hair up in a bun now. It feels weird when I have it loose and it gets in the way.

spirals
June 30th, 2016, 06:33 PM
^ Feeling the same way lately. Had to take it down due to a headache and it's bugging me.

turtlelover
June 30th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Is it unusual to reach a new milestone and not feel like you are REALLY there, even when you have photographic and anatomical evidence that you are in fact there? HAHA I swear I still feel like I am shoulder length!

Ana H.
June 30th, 2016, 07:06 PM
Thanks! That's what I thought. I do agree from experience that overall health affects your scalp which affects the new hair that's coming in. (I experienced hair thinning due to illness)

spirals
June 30th, 2016, 08:06 PM
Is it unusual to reach a new milestone and not feel like you are REALLY there, even when you have photographic and anatomical evidence that you are in fact there? HAHA I swear I still feel like I am shoulder length!

My longest lengths just about touch hip and yet I feel like it's APL.

diddiedaisy
July 1st, 2016, 12:47 AM

I'm like that. I could call bsl now if I wanted but it would feel like cheating lol its probably to do with shrinkage. Hopefully by the end of this month and another 1cm I'll be happy to do so. And why does hair look so much shorter from the side, what's that about????

Arctic
July 1st, 2016, 03:39 AM
For me, I take my length photo when my hair is relatively straight (often wet/damp), and combed and I am in a rigid, soldierly posture. Yet every photo I take - even those taken in a same session - are different. There can be what looks like 5 cm (2") - sometimes more - difference from photo to photo, even though I try to always take similar posture. So let's say I took 10 photos during a session, I usually pick the avarage photo to represent my length - not the shortest or longest looking ones. This means I might claim APL when in some photos my hair doesn't seem to be even close. Add to that that I don't normally, in my everyday life, walk around in rigid, soldierly posture, or keep my head perfectly still, and my hair can be wavy and poofy and spring up... this means that even after I claim a milestone it will take a while before my hair starts to looks like it's that long in every day situations. I assume it would need to be about 4-5 cm longer than a milestone to actually look like it most of the time. Sometimes I wait a bit longer untill I am past the milestone to claim it for this reason.

So yeah, I get the feeling that hair doesn't feel as long as the body marker says it is.

ETA: And the moral of the story is, that photos and mirrors aren't always accurate way of gauging the length. So many things affect how for example a photo will look like, like the camera angle.

PixieP
July 1st, 2016, 03:53 AM
I guess it also depends on the amount of taper you have. My longest ends were past hip when stretched before I did a trim, while the rest hung out a little under waist. So I didn't feel like it was longer than waist, because that is where most of my hair was.

Decoy24601
July 1st, 2016, 03:55 AM
I don't think I've ever thought my hair is as long as it is. My hair didn't even start seeming "long" to me until I hit TBL. It hasn't been until I looked at photos from a year ago that I've realized just how long my hair has gotten. Part of that might be because I have layers.

Andthetalltrees
July 1st, 2016, 07:21 AM
I feel like my hair is growing really quickly, Even though it doesn't grow much above normal. A few months ago it wasn't even long enough to cover my earlobes and now it's almost shoulder!

triumphator!
July 1st, 2016, 07:47 AM
Shoulder to APL is the absolute worst.

Andthetalltrees
July 1st, 2016, 07:51 AM

It is, It really is. Last time I grew out my hair I had a stall between those two lengths and it got old very quickly.

pili
July 1st, 2016, 08:20 AM
You're right, hair is dead, but just like your nails, a poor diet and dehydration will make what is growing at the scalp dry, brittle, and thin. A good diet and hydration means your body has the resources to grow healthy hair with good structure. When you are not healthy, your hair will use your resources somewhere else. Remember hair is still tissue, even if it is dead.

Silverbleed
July 1st, 2016, 08:23 AM

I agree. It feels like nothing is happening when it comes to growth. And it feels kind of awkward, my layers that are shoulder length are really annoying, flying away and in my face, but the layers that reach just about APL are doing exactly what I want.

pili
July 1st, 2016, 08:27 AM

Yup. I'll be stuck here for a while yet. My longest later is already past APL, but only when stretched. The 3"-5" spring factor is going to make this take forever!

PixieP
July 1st, 2016, 08:43 AM
I'm gonna do a serious gelatin treatment today. I've done it carefully so far as I didn't wanna risk crunchy icky hair. But my hair has only loved it so far, so today I'm going all in, mixing it a bit stronger and putting it under a plastic bag and carefully heating it with my blow dryer. Excited to see the result!

Also, so glad I had to buy aloe vera for SMT a while ago. I had run out a year or so ago and always forgot to buy new. And in the meantime I forgot how much my facial skin looooves aloe. It's been dry and annoyed the past six months, but daily application of aloe got it happy again!

missrandie
July 1st, 2016, 09:40 AM
I can't wait to outgrow my paranda!

Arctic
July 1st, 2016, 09:44 AM
I'm going to let the green dye fade now. It was sort of fun but mostly I was left unimpressed.

Breanna
July 1st, 2016, 10:46 AM
Oohhhhh I just did a honey treament and MAN!!!! My hair feels so good!!!! I'm very upset to have to put it away in order to exercise now >:(

Stray_mind
July 1st, 2016, 11:38 AM
Should i really chop off three years worth of growth?.... I mean, i really wanna try out a short hairstyle, but i also know i am going to miss my lenght... can't decide what to do....

Silverbleed
July 1st, 2016, 11:45 AM
I'm gonna do a serious gelatin treatment today. I've done it carefully so far as I didn't wanna risk crunchy icky hair. But my hair has only loved it so far, so today I'm going all in, mixing it a bit stronger and putting it under a plastic bag and carefully heating it with my blow dryer. Excited to see the result!

Also, so glad I had to buy aloe vera for SMT a while ago. I had run out a year or so ago and always forgot to buy new. And in the meantime I forgot how much my facial skin looooves aloe. It's been dry and annoyed the past six months, but daily application of aloe got it happy again!

I'm kind of jelly right now ;D I went to the store to buy gelatin but it was sold out! -sadface-

Arctic
July 1st, 2016, 11:47 AM
I'm kind of jelly right now ;D I went to the store to buy gelatin but it was sold out! -sadface-

LOL! :spitting:

Silverbleed
July 1st, 2016, 11:48 AM
LOL! :spitting:

xD I couldn't help.

Powder, tho lol.

Frankenstein
July 1st, 2016, 12:30 PM
I did a treatment last night but my hair remains a tangled mess. I just had a trim and clarified a week ago so I dunno :confused:

PixieP
July 1st, 2016, 02:10 PM

LOL :D

Best pun I've seen today!

Inga-Marjukka
July 1st, 2016, 02:21 PM
I'm getting so fed up with losing hairsticks. I forget them around and the best one is floating in a lake somewhere. I finally have nailed the stick-free bun though, and I'm thinking of actually going with just that for a while now. The sort of bun I mean is the one where you twist it into a sort of cinnabun and then the inner coil eats the outer coil and ta-dah it holds like a rock. :magic:

Nique1202
July 1st, 2016, 07:28 PM
It's 100% my own fault for not grabbing a bobby pin out of my bag along with the hair stick, but part of my nearly-ex-fringe came out of my bun earlier and I got about an inch at the bottom of it coated in rustproofing enamel (I was touching up the paint on a metal fire pit). It's not horrific, the colour doesn't show (blessedly, my hair is dark enough for black paint not to show up clearly on such a small area) but it feels so weird and gross. I washed it pretty quickly and tried conditioner soaking it but to no avail. I might have actually tried turpentine if there had been any handy. I'm gonna wait a couple of proper washes and see if it starts to wear off on its own, or if I'm gonna need to cut a little bit of fringe back in.

For now it's in a french braid (with the tail bunned for bed, it's getting very late for me!) to keep the painted bits out of sight and out of mind as much as possible for a day or two. Though you'd best be sure I checked that it was as dry as it could be before I combined the painted bits with the rest of my hair!

vampyyri
July 1st, 2016, 07:39 PM
I wish my braided cinnabuns looked less like sad half-braided floppy ovals.

Katia_k
July 1st, 2016, 08:33 PM
I got the supplies I needed for both a protein treatment and an SMT. And I reeeaaaaallllly wanna do the protein treatment and use the SMT as a deep conditioner after. But I've never done a whole-head protein treatment, or SMT, so I know that doing them both for the first time together is just kinda asking for trouble, and I should, for the sake of science, do them separately so I can suss out how each one feels.

But I have new shinies I wanna use all the shinies! Also got some almond oil, so super excited about that, since I can't use coconut and olive oil turns me into a greaseball, if a soft greaseball.

I'll just keep playing with hair styles to distract myself....

Pinni
July 1st, 2016, 11:08 PM
My hair gets caught everywhere. I start to feel it really has grown for the first time in 1,5 years, need to learn how to move with this little bit longer hair. I also understand very well why many people with really long hair wear it at bun. I like to wear it down so maybe tbl is the max for me.

spirals
July 2nd, 2016, 01:56 AM
Now that the thickness has traveled down to APL I am going to have to start every bun with a braid. Compressed volume is the only way I can do this at all.

Decoy24601
July 2nd, 2016, 01:58 AM
Ugh, I wore my hair down outside today and now my hair is so tangled and dry. I regret doing that.

PixieP
July 2nd, 2016, 03:19 AM
Gelatin + SMT last night and my hair is in heaven <3 I'm actually considering doing the blowdry-version of the gelatin treatment soon, I did the strongest mix on the science-y hairblog yesterday, and my hair is loving it, but I feel like I could get even better result. Will mull it over until it's time to do give my hair protein again. Which I think could be in a weeks time, I really think my hair was absolutley starving for protein and it's just gobbling it up now.

I got the supplies I needed for both a protein treatment and an SMT. And I reeeaaaaallllly wanna do the protein treatment and use the SMT as a deep conditioner after. But I've never done a whole-head protein treatment, or SMT, so I know that doing them both for the first time together is just kinda asking for trouble, and I should, for the sake of science, do them separately so I can suss out how each one feels.

But I have new shinies I wanna use all the shinies! Also got some almond oil, so super excited about that, since I can't use coconut and olive oil turns me into a greaseball, if a soft greaseball.

I'll just keep playing with hair styles to distract myself....

You should deep-condition after doing a protein treatment. I did both my first protein treatment and my first proper SMT in years (I never managed to make a good mix before, it would ge tlumpy and I'd have bits of aloe stuck in my hair after rinsing) at the same time and I didn't suffer any bad results at all. Do try SMT by itself, but you need some sort of depe condition after the protein treatment. Especially if it's a gelatin treatment.

PixieP
July 2nd, 2016, 03:22 AM
Btw after rinsing out my gelatin yesterday I put in an SMT while I was still in the shower, and let that work while I scrubbed down my body with a homemade scrub. 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon aloe, 1 tablespoon honey. Almost an SMT for the body. It left my skin soooo soft. And it's good both for the drains and the enviroment; the sugar eventually melted on my skin after a good scrubbing, so it didn't leave a mass of stuff clogging up the drain. And most types of store-bought scrubs contain tiny tiny plastic balls and those are terribly for the enviroment!

The time I spent scrubbing and then did a quick&dirty shave of the legs was enough time for the SMT to work :)

Decoy24601
July 2nd, 2016, 04:37 AM
So, my SO is completely unphased by my hair treatments now. When I do fermented rice water soaks I keep my ends in a tall somewhat skinny vase with the rice water in it. I walk out into the living room, sit down holding the vase with my hair in it at my computer, and a few minutes go by and he doesn't say anything.

Me: "so... you're not going to say anything?"
Him: "What? I don't know"
Me: "My hair is in a vase and you're not going to say anything?"
Him: "Well, you've been doing a lot of strange stuff with your hair lately, so I guess I didn't notice."

I was expecting some teasing :p.

On another note, he's always liked my long hair. I asked him the other night how long I should grow it, and he says it's nice where it is now. I said that I want to grow it a few inches longer, and he said "oh, well if you want to grow it longer you might as well go as far as you want." Me: "How long do you think I could grow my hair?" Him: "Down to the floor, you might as well see how long it can get." I don't think I'll ever go past knee, but it's cool to know he's completely supportive even if I wanted to reach the floor.

diddiedaisy
July 2nd, 2016, 04:48 AM
Last time i cut my hair it was 1cm longer on one side. I've never claimed to be a hairdresser lol, but over these past three months it's evened itself out. Result lmao

H o n є y ❤
July 2nd, 2016, 06:03 AM
My hair catcher finally came in the mail. Thank goodness!!!

Katia_k
July 2nd, 2016, 11:09 AM
Gelatin + SMT last night and my hair is in heaven <3 I'm actually considering doing the blowdry-version of the gelatin treatment soon, I did the strongest mix on the science-y hairblog yesterday, and my hair is loving it, but I feel like I could get even better result. Will mull it over until it's time to do give my hair protein again. Which I think could be in a weeks time, I really think my hair was absolutley starving for protein and it's just gobbling it up now.

You should deep-condition after doing a protein treatment. I did both my first protein treatment and my first proper SMT in years (I never managed to make a good mix before, it would ge tlumpy and I'd have bits of aloe stuck in my hair after rinsing) at the same time and I didn't suffer any bad results at all. Do try SMT by itself, but you need some sort of depe condition after the protein treatment. Especially if it's a gelatin treatment.

Maybe I will just do them both together...I'm in summer classes so the next time I'll have a whole day in which to futz with my hair is a week away, so if I wanna spread them out it'll take me ages to test them both. And I've got so much breakage going on I *really* wanna get that protein treatment cooking. I'm using the same one you did, except it'll never be with a blow-dryer because I...don't own one. And at least it's a holiday weekend here...if something goes terribly wrong I have time to mess with it.

diddiedaisy
July 2nd, 2016, 11:16 AM
So, my SO is completely unphased by my hair treatments now. When I do fermented rice water soaks I keep my ends in a tall somewhat skinny vase with the rice water in it. I walk out into the living room, sit down holding the vase with my hair in it at my computer, and a few minutes go by and he doesn't say anything.

Him: "Well, you've been doing a lot of strange stuff with your hair lately, so I guess I didn't notice."

On another note, he's always liked my long hair. I asked him the other night how long I should grow it, and he says it's nice where it is now. I said that I want to grow it a few inches longer, and he said "oh, well if you want to grow it longer you might as well go as far as you want." Me: "How long do you think I could grow my hair?" Him: "Down to the floor, you might as well see how long it can get." I don't think I'll ever go past knee, but it's cool to know he's completely supportive even if I wanted to reach the floor.

Hahahaha....it's a very good but crazy idea!!! :D

spirals
July 2nd, 2016, 11:29 AM

I don't even live with mine (he's in another state) and he knows the drill...mostly. :lol:

H o n є y ❤
July 2nd, 2016, 12:14 PM

That is hilarious. xD

Ana H.
July 2nd, 2016, 01:48 PM
Is there a Random Hair Questions thread? Because, I think there should be. I’m full of questions and :google: isn’t quite as fun as talking.;)

Arctic
July 2nd, 2016, 01:54 PM
Is there a Random Hair Questions thread? Because, I think there should be. I’m full of questions and :google: isn’t quite as fun as talking.;)

There is Newbie Questions thread and Awkward Hair Questions thread. There is also Hair Science thread for scienc-y questions. (I might remember the names a bit off.)

Katia_k
July 2nd, 2016, 02:16 PM
Protein treatment done, and sitting here with SMT on my head. I might have made a bit too much, because it's dripping, but it feels wonderfully gooey and I'm so excited

Frankenstein
July 2nd, 2016, 02:21 PM
I've had my hair in the same braid since yesterday and I plan on keeping it that way until I wash it tomorrow night.

Inga-Marjukka
July 2nd, 2016, 02:35 PM
I'd like to start oiling my hair for the night but I can't leave the sofa because of football! I'm thinking sesame oil, maybe mixed with olive... And my mum was nice and got me the XZ Tea Tree shampoo for heavy duty cooling summer washes. I've used Syoss Full Hair 5 for a while now and it only takes a couple of hours until my scalp feels oily and yucky because of this heat, humidity and sweating. :sun::boohoo:

lithostoic
July 2nd, 2016, 06:34 PM
Unfortunately, the ogx argan oil s&c does in fact cause increased shedding. Too bad, I like how it makes my hair feel. My scalp just doesn't like it.

Decoy24601
July 3rd, 2016, 02:26 AM
This is slightly OT, but I can't wait to try out soapnuts as a shampoo (and for my laundry). I figured out that the SLS in my solid shampoo has been aggravating my eczema. I know it has to be that, because all I used was the shampoo bar and these are the ingredients: "Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Fragrance , Green Olives (Olea Europaea) , Sicilian Lemon Oil (Citrus limonum) , Fresh Lemon Juice (Citrus limonum) , Lemon Peel (Citrus limonum) , Popping Candy (Isomalt, Lycasin, Carbon Dioxide) , Lemon Peel Powder (Citrus Limonum) , Lemon Slice (Citrus Limonum) , Rosemary Absolute (Rosmarinus Officinalis) , Organic Lemon Myrtle Oil (Backhousia citriodora) , *Citral , *Geraniol , *Limonene , Gardenia Extract (Gardenia jasminoides) . *Occurs naturally in essential oils" I know that I'm not allergic to anything else on that list and SLS is the main ingredient. Before my shower my eczema that's on my hip was fading, and not a minute after I lathered my hair in that shampoo (some lather does get on my body inevitably) my eczema became inflamed, itchy, larger, and more painful.

Looks like even though my hair doesn't dislike sulfates, my skin just can't handle them anymore. It looks like I'm going to have to stick to soapnuts (as soon as they arrive in the mail), herbal conditioners, my serum (has cones and argan oil), my leave-in hair moisturizer/conditioner (no cones), and/or oils. I figured just cutting out the extra chemicals besides SLS would be enough, but turns out it isn't. A lot of sulfate-free and "all-natural" shampoos/conditioners have fragrances in them that I'm allergic to, which is another problem I'm having.

Hairkay
July 3rd, 2016, 04:26 AM
This is slightly OT, but I can't wait to try out soapnuts as a shampoo (and for my laundry). I figured out that the SLS in my solid shampoo has been aggravating my eczema. I know it has to be that, because all I used was the shampoo bar and these are the ingredients: "Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Fragrance , Green Olives (Olea Europaea) , Sicilian Lemon Oil (Citrus limonum) , Fresh Lemon Juice (Citrus limonum) , Lemon Peel (Citrus limonum) , Popping Candy (Isomalt, Lycasin, Carbon Dioxide) , Lemon Peel Powder (Citrus Limonum) , Lemon Slice (Citrus Limonum) , Rosemary Absolute (Rosmarinus Officinalis) , Organic Lemon Myrtle Oil (Backhousia citriodora) , *Citral , *Geraniol , *Limonene , Gardenia Extract (Gardenia jasminoides) . *Occurs naturally in essential oils" I know that I'm not allergic to anything else on that list and SLS is the main ingredient. Before my shower my eczema that's on my hip was fading, and not a minute after I lathered my hair in that shampoo (some lather does get on my body inevitably) my eczema became inflamed, itchy, larger, and more painful.

Looks like even though my hair doesn't dislike sulfates, my skin just can't handle them anymore. It looks like I'm going to have to stick to soapnuts (as soon as they arrive in the mail), herbal conditioners, my serum (has cones and argan oil), my leave-in hair moisturizer/conditioner (no cones), and/or oils. I figured just cutting out the extra chemicals besides SLS would be enough, but turns out it isn't. A lot of sulfate-free and "all-natural" shampoos/conditioners have fragrances in them that I'm allergic to, which is another problem I'm having.

That's why I don't even bother with those "all natural shampoos, conditioners, soaps and even deoderants/body sprays. My skin just can't take them. I hope the soap nuts work out for you. It's too harsh for my skin but works well for laundry and house cleaning.

ephemeri
July 3rd, 2016, 05:51 AM
Not sure this is the correct thread for this, so I apologize in advance if it's not but: yesterday I watched The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and I noticed Dolly Parton putting a satin pillowcase on a pillow in preparation for her sexytimes with Burt Reynolds in the beginning of the movie. She had gone to his house and brought her own pillowcase and I thought that was both awesome and hilarious that that perfect detail was included in the movie!

Inga-Marjukka
July 3rd, 2016, 06:51 AM
I'm going to a textile-store tomorrow to pick up some satin or any cloth that's super slippery. I'm going to try sewing a sleep cap for myself by hand. No one's going to see it so it doesn't have to be the prettiest. Also I oiled my hair yesterday using my fake TT. I put the oil in a container wide enough to fit the TT and dipped the bristles in it, then started brushing. I've considered spreading oil a bit tedious but using the TT-dipping method was so easy and my perfectionist soul enjoyed the perfectly even amount of oil everywhere.

turtlelover
July 3rd, 2016, 07:00 AM
I'm going to a textile-store tomorrow to pick up some satin or any cloth that's super slippery. I'm going to try sewing a sleep cap for myself by hand. No one's going to see it so it doesn't have to be the prettiest. Also I oiled my hair yesterday using my fake TT. I put the oil in a container wide enough to fit the TT and dipped the bristles in it, then started brushing. I've considered spreading oil a bit tedious but using the TT-dipping method was so easy and my perfectionist soul enjoyed the perfectly even amount of oil everywhere.

That is a good idea. I have a cat that LOVES to walk on my head when she is hungry in the morning, and I swear that if my hair has any damage, it is from being tangled up in her claws! A decent cap might solve the issue, but the one that I bought before was way too small for my huge head, so I think I need to make my own.

Nastasiya
July 3rd, 2016, 07:45 AM
Didn't rinse indigo from my head properly yesteday, now my fingers get blue if I touch my hair.

vampyyri
July 3rd, 2016, 09:18 AM
My hair is being super uncooperative as of late. I've tried clarifying everything and conditioning twice (silicone free followed by a silicone conditioner), which would normally make my hair super smooth, but it's just not having it. Perhaps it's too moisturized, or needs a protein treatment? Or maybe a vinegar rinse is in order... *shakes fist* why are you doing this to me, hair??!

Katia_k
July 3rd, 2016, 11:04 AM
So because of my impatience I'm not sure which was the superstar, but hair freaking loved the protein treatment/SMT. I have, like, real curl definition for the first time in weeks, and it's so soft! I'm trying really hard not to keep touching it, but it's really hard....

I'd go somewhere so that the good hair day wasn't wasted on the cats, but it's 85% humidity out there. I'm scared to walk outside...

Temme
July 3rd, 2016, 11:22 AM
Not sure this is the correct thread for this, so I apologize in advance if it's not but: yesterday I watched The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and I noticed Dolly Parton putting a satin pillowcase on a pillow in preparation for her sexytimes with Burt Reynolds in the beginning of the movie. She had gone to his house and brought her own pillowcase and I thought that was both awesome and hilarious that that perfect detail was included in the movie!

That's sooo cool!

MINAKO
July 3rd, 2016, 12:09 PM
This is beyond radom but i just found this on some salons website. I think right after black, light ash blonde is my favorite color.
I would never dye it but this is just sooo pretty.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p506/Nori_Ko/92D6833B-D00A-4918-9BAD-83DE6A5F5EC2_zps54nhno3h.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Nori_Ko/media/92D6833B-D00A-4918-9BAD-83DE6A5F5EC2_zps54nhno3h.jpg.html)

littlestarface
July 3rd, 2016, 12:31 PM
This is beyond radom but i just found this on some salons website. I think right after black, light ash blonde is my favorite color.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p506/Nori_Ko/92D6833B-D00A-4918-9BAD-83DE6A5F5EC2_zps54nhno3h.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Nori_Ko/media/92D6833B-D00A-4918-9BAD-83DE6A5F5EC2_zps54nhno3h.jpg.html)

Woah, that looks like glass O_O

summergame
July 3rd, 2016, 12:35 PM
My hair is not happy at all I think. My ends are so crispy and there is nothing I can do except using oil but then I have to use a lot and it looks greasy then. My ends can't feel normal and it is frustrating me a lot... I have no build up so I think that cut them will be the solution but I have to wait until August.

MINAKO
July 3rd, 2016, 12:40 PM
Woah, that looks like glass O_O

They were actually advertising a glossing treatment. I think it's impressive because her hair was black before and still looks so healthy.

littlestarface
July 3rd, 2016, 12:44 PM
They were actually advertising a glossing treatment. I think it's impressive because her hair was black before and still looks so healthy.

Her hair was black?! Wow very impressive, what is this glossing treatment? I want it!

spirals
July 3rd, 2016, 12:51 PM
My hair is not happy at all I think. My ends are so crispy and there is nothing I can do except using oil but then I have to use a lot and it looks greasy then. My ends can't feel normal and it is frustrating me a lot... I have no build up so I think that cut them will be the solution but I have to wait until August.

I've tried baking soda wash on the crispy ends before and it softened them up, provided I conditioned well afterward and oiled them while still damp.

MINAKO
July 3rd, 2016, 12:53 PM
Her hair was black?! Wow very impressive, what is this glossing treatment? I want it!

It's an M3D in salon treatment. Amazing what japanese hairdressers are able to achieve. If you tell them you want straight hair although it's naturally a 1B that's a very common thing, so they learned how to give people 1AAA texture so to speak.

summergame
July 3rd, 2016, 12:58 PM
I've tried baking soda wash on the crispy ends before and it softened them up, provided I conditioned well afterward and oiled them while still damp.

Thank you, I will try this method! :flower:

Silverbleed
July 3rd, 2016, 12:59 PM
Gosh that's impressive, that shine is insane. Makes me jealous lmao. My hair was so frizzy today, I took a shower out of frustration.

summergame
July 3rd, 2016, 12:59 PM

Lovely!! Can't archive that shine even with oil :P

littlestarface
July 3rd, 2016, 01:01 PM
It's an M3D in salon treatment. Amazing what japanese hairdressers are able to achieve. If you tell them you want straight hair although it's naturally a 1B that's a very common thing, so they learned how to give people 1AAA texture so to speak.

I wish I lived in japan. I want that texture and unbelievable shine! Screw natural hair.

MINAKO
July 3rd, 2016, 01:06 PM
Lovely!! Can't archive that shine even with oil :P

Me neither. My hair is shiny but not like THAT, definitely more of a diffused shine and also dark hair appears shiner anyways.
As far as i understand this is a mix of minerals or microcrystals infused into the cuticle layer. Can be done about once a month (i guess thats the time for hair that is washed daily).

spirals
July 3rd, 2016, 01:08 PM
Screw natural hair.:rollin: I want my natural texture with that shine. Never. gonna. happen.

MINAKO
July 3rd, 2016, 01:09 PM
I wish I lived in japan. I want that texture and unbelievable shine! Screw natural hair.

Natural hair sure has it's downsides for me too, although i find it to look charming in many people. This premium quality almost wig looking artificial look is so polished and seems like it would never tangle in a million years.

ETA: similar color but a bit more of a realistic texture can be nice too.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p506/Nori_Ko/DDBE5297-CAF6-4621-843A-4F8ED7B6204D_zpsbqbhfm8x.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Nori_Ko/media/DDBE5297-CAF6-4621-843A-4F8ED7B6204D_zpsbqbhfm8x.jpg.html)

littlestarface
July 3rd, 2016, 01:09 PM
Me neither. My hair is shiny but not like THAT, definitely more of a diffused shine and also dark hair appears shiner anyways.
As far as i understand this is a mix of minerals or microcrystals infused into the cuticle layer. Can be done about once a month (i guess thats the time for hair that is washed daily).

Is there something to be used at home or only in the saloon?

MINAKO
July 3rd, 2016, 01:17 PM
Is there something to be used at home or only in the saloon?

They sell shampoo, conditioner and mask for at home use to maintain the results, all silicone free. Bit i think it wouldn't be as amazing to jist use these alone. The good thing is that hair basically airdies like that after getting the treatment done and i think strong asian hair can stand being flatironed every few weeks without any damage. I have yet to try it and see how it would work for me, so i can only base my opinion on the results i see on various blogs.

littlestarface
July 3rd, 2016, 01:54 PM
They sell shampoo, conditioner and mask for at home use to maintain the results, all silicone free. Bit i think it wouldn't be as amazing to jist use these alone. The good thing is that hair basically airdies like that after getting the treatment done and i think strong asian hair can stand being flatironed every few weeks without any damage. I have yet to try it and see how it would work for me, so i can only base my opinion on the results i see on various blogs.

Yea i'm thinking the shampoo and such is just to maintain it but boy would I love to try anything from that line, I love asian hair and makeup stuff. Now if only I can go to japan somehow....

diddiedaisy
July 3rd, 2016, 02:08 PM
Hmmm just noticed that all my body markers are 4 inches apart. Excluding a sneaky mbl I popped in lol.

Inga-Marjukka
July 3rd, 2016, 04:28 PM
I already feel a bit disheartened about the sleeping cap sewing I'm going to do tomorrow, since I haven't got a sewing machine. I'm expecting a mess and waste of good money :lol: Just kidding, but I'm very aware of how impulsive I am in putting plans in action when I get an exciting idea. I just have to be very patient, careful and as neat as possible. Like I said before, I'm not sewing it for the Queen of England, and the main thing is that it holds together when I spin like a top against my pillow as I sleep. I found a promising and simple tutorial via Pinterest: http://www.princesstafadzwa.com/satin-cap-tutorial-and-giveaway/

edit: Oh, if anyone has got any tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated :love:

Silverbleed
July 3rd, 2016, 06:00 PM
I already feel a bit disheartened about the sleeping cap sewing I'm going to do tomorrow, since I haven't got a sewing machine. I'm expecting a mess and waste of good money :lol: Just kidding, but I'm very aware of how impulsive I am in putting plans in action when I get an exciting idea. I just have to be very patient, careful and as neat as possible. Like I said before, I'm not sewing it for the Queen of England, and the main thing is that it holds together when I spin like a top against my pillow as I sleep. I found a promising and simple tutorial via Pinterest: http://www.princesstafadzwa.com/satin-cap-tutorial-and-giveaway/

edit: Oh, if anyone has got any tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated :love:

Oh thanks for sharing. I happen to own a SLAP (http://www.satinlinedcaps.com/), and I really wish to learn how to make my own one day. It's too expensive with the shipping and taxes to buy more :c With my SLAP, I like how the band around your head is straight, and not ruffled like the pinned example. I really wish I knew how to do that!

#somuchiwouldliketolearn

Frankenstein
July 3rd, 2016, 11:07 PM
Pre-poo oiling seems to have suddenly stopped working. Now it just leaves my hair greasy and tangled.

pili
July 4th, 2016, 12:54 AM
Washed hair feels so good! I'm going to continue to measure my growth rate by stretching my hair, but I'm going to start doing the visual body markers with my dry, curly hair. I only ever wear it curly anyway...here's to adding a few years yo hitting my mile markers.

Decoy24601
July 4th, 2016, 03:55 AM
I'm trying a bit of an experiment. After I put my hair in a braid to sleep with, I rubbed a little bit of my hair moisturizer over it evenly (R&B by LUSH, it has Oat Milk, Avocado Butter, Olive Oil, Coconut oil, Jojoba Oil, Bay oil, and a few other ingredients). Usually I stop there, but sometimes this is a little too heavy on my hair, so I had an idea. I mixed up about 1 cup of hot water and 1tbsp of ACV and 1 tbsp of honey until it dissolved, Then I added about another 1/2 cup of cold water to cool it off. I sprinkled it on my hair and ran my wet along the braid until it was evenly damp. I wanted to add a bit of fermented rice water, but I didn't have any that was fresh. I'm excited to see how my hair feels in the morning. My hair doesn't like getting soaking wet in the shower, but it felt a little dry so I wanted to try something different that wouldn't weigh down my hair.

Hairkay
July 4th, 2016, 04:29 AM
Oh thanks for sharing. I happen to own a SLAP (http://www.satinlinedcaps.com/), and I really wish to learn how to make my own one day. It's too expensive with the shipping and taxes to buy more :c With my SLAP, I like how the band around your head is straight, and not ruffled like the pinned example. I really wish I knew how to do that!

#somuchiwouldliketolearn

That's easy! I've made my own beanie hats before. You just fold some cloth and stitch that one seam. You can wrap the cloth around your head to get the correct measurement before you cut and sew. Now you have a tube of cloth. One end will be the top/crown of head. Make sure the seam is in the centre of the tube then make two box pleats, one pleat facing the other and stitch this up. This is the top/crown end of the hat. Find another type to line it with, something satin. Repeat both steps on the satin lining. Turn lining over so the the wrong side matches with the outer wrong side. Match up seams and pin down. Fold over a cuff and sew this down. SLAP cap completed. Go for knitted fabrics with a bit of a stretch, knitted satin types match well for a lining.

PixieP
July 4th, 2016, 05:03 AM
I managed to do a french twist into a rope braid on my first try! :D

(we will not talk about the utter failure that was my attempt at a rope twist crown braid).

PixieP
July 4th, 2016, 05:40 AM
Also considering chopping off more hair. My ends are still annoyingly thin. The double dutch braid is my favourite hairstyle, but my tails end up being over 10 cms (http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t503/misherusedai/225256C7-C7E7-4A4C-B83E-6AA9F4320972_zpsaay5ugce.jpg) (4-5 inches I think) because they are so thin, I can't get them braided. It won't harm my buns to loose about 7-8 cms, and it'll make my braids look better. Chopping off that amount would bring me up to about BSL again, but I think it's worth it. Will give it a weeks time or so to think over.

Silverbleed
July 4th, 2016, 05:42 AM
That's easy! I've made my own beanie hats before. You just fold some cloth and stitch that one seam. You can wrap the cloth around your head to get the correct measurement before you cut and sew. Now you have a tube of cloth. One end will be the top/crown of head. Make sure the seam is in the centre of the tube then make two box pleats, one pleat facing the other and stitch this up. This is the top/crown end of the hat. Find another type to line it with, something satin. Repeat both steps on the satin lining. Turn lining over so the the wrong side matches with the outer wrong side. Match up seams and pin down. Fold over a cuff and sew this down. SLAP cap completed. Go for knitted fabrics with a bit of a stretch, knitted satin types match well for a lining.

I'll be trying that, thanks! I hope I'll manage to make a decent one the first time, if not it'll be my sleeping cap xD

Zebra Fish
July 4th, 2016, 06:05 AM
Hair might have tried to kill me... I woke up with the braide wrapped pretty thightly around my neck, and I go to sleep with braide tossed over the pillow (ok it moves during night, but I have the habit of moving it back to safe spot while sleeping). So, what did I do wrong??

Andthetalltrees
July 4th, 2016, 07:26 AM
I managed to do a french twist into a rope braid on my first try! :D

(we will not talk about the utter failure that was my attempt at a rope twist crown braid).

Hey, That's what my hairstyle was based on today! My hair isn't long enough for a full one but I made two tiny ones on the side of my head and one regular braid in the back. I actually did a hairstyle today instead of just pinning my hair back, I'm proud I did something today :bigtongue:

Nastasiya
July 4th, 2016, 07:38 AM
I am new to any kind of knots/buns/braids, so today I tried the nautilus bun for the first time.
Oh. My. Gosh. I'm freaking out now about how awesome that feels and holds! :crush:

gingerknits
July 4th, 2016, 09:21 AM
Guys... I broke my arm at my family farm on Saturday night and I am FREAKING OUT about how I am going to take care of my hair for the next 8-12 weeks. Tried to talk my fiancé through a cinnabun last night and it did not go well. Siiiiiigh.

Arctic
July 4th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Guys... I broke my arm at my family farm on Saturday night and I am FREAKING OUT about how I am going to take care of my hair for the next 8-12 weeks. Tried to talk my fiancé through a cinnabun last night and it did not go well. Siiiiiigh. Show him you tube videos where someone else is doing a bun. Maybe a banded ponytail would work, btw, or the frech version of it. Quick healing!

PixieP
July 4th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Hey, That's what my hairstyle was based on today! My hair isn't long enough for a full one but I made two tiny ones on the side of my head and one regular braid in the back. I actually did a hairstyle today instead of just pinning my hair back, I'm proud I did something today :bigtongue:

That sounds really neat! :D

Guys... I broke my arm at my family farm on Saturday night and I am FREAKING OUT about how I am going to take care of my hair for the next 8-12 weeks. Tried to talk my fiancé through a cinnabun last night and it did not go well. Siiiiiigh.

Oh no! Does he know how to braid? I agree with Arctic, show him videoes of how to do hairstyles on other people. CuteGirlsHairstyles are a good place to start!

EdG
July 4th, 2016, 10:26 AM
Guys... I broke my arm at my family farm on Saturday night and I am FREAKING OUT about how I am going to take care of my hair for the next 8-12 weeks. Tried to talk my fiancé through a cinnabun last night and it did not go well. Siiiiiigh.Ouch. :grouphug:

I admire your dedication: if I broke my arm, how make a bun would not be among my top worries. ;)
Ed

spirals
July 4th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Ouch. :grouphug:

I admire your dedication: if I broke my arm, how make a bun would not be among my top worries. ;)
Ed

It would be a concern for me. :D

EdG
July 4th, 2016, 10:41 AM
It would be a concern for me. :DHi-five, spirals! :hifive:

I would have bigger problems because I live alone.
Ed

spirals
July 4th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Hi-five, spirals! :hifive:

I would have bigger problems because I live alone.
Ed

I do, too, so doing my hair would take up a chunk o' time. I'm not sure you should high-five my vanity. :laugh:

ETA: Not saying gingerknits is being vain at all. I'm just speaking on my character, which is weak in that area.

Inga-Marjukka
July 4th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Quick update on sleeping cap sewing: my dad has currently taken over the entire project. I'm sitting on the couch and he's preparing to cut the fabric. I would've wanted to do it myself but he's so into it I had to back off.

PixieP
July 4th, 2016, 02:12 PM
French rope braid = BEST BRAID WAVES EVER!

H o n є y ❤
July 4th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Boy does the V05 raspberry conditioner smell GOOD. I love that the smell lingers too.

spirals
July 4th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Quick update on sleeping cap sewing: my dad has currently taken over the entire project. I'm sitting on the couch and he's preparing to cut the fabric. I would've wanted to do it myself but he's so into it I had to back off.

Men here don't typically (though they do occasionally) take up sewing. It's neat that your dad is doing this.

Inga-Marjukka
July 4th, 2016, 04:36 PM
spirals, neither does my dad but he works in engineering and is a technician so he loves to measure up things and always chimes in when someone is doing something that could be done more efficiently. When I was little we were trying to make pointy hats for the Christmas decoration elves we'd made out of empty toilet paper rolls and he stopped us and went to get a book on solid geometry to teach us how to correctly cut a cone out of felt. Those were the days :lol: Bless him.

My great grandfather was a master tailor and my dad started telling me how he would have done the cutting of the fabric so I just gave up and let him do it. However, he left the sewing for me, which I'm pleased about. I was hoping to get the cap finished today but no chance. I would have made 3 already if I had a sewing machine.

spirals
July 4th, 2016, 04:47 PM
My great grandfather was good with his hands. He made all kinds of things out of wood. Mom says he was trying to get away from Great Grandma because she nagged. :laugh:

Decoy24601
July 4th, 2016, 05:19 PM
Well, my experiment was a success. After I braided my hair last night I rubbed my hair moisturizer over my braid and I sprinkled some cold water with a little bit of honey and ACV mixed in until my braid was a bit damp and let it sit overnight. I woke up with very very hydrated, soft, and shiny hair.

Katia_k
July 4th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Guys I just tried using almond oil in my hair for the first time this morning; it was 87% humidity and I was scared to go outside without doing something.

I was really scared at first--it felt like it was gonna be really greasy. But several hours later and there's no sign of it, even though I put it up by my roots as well as on my length. I'm in awe, and so happy. My ends still feel kinda crispy and frazzled, so they clearly need some TLC, but we're getting there.

Also I cut a few hair ties out of a pair of old pantyhose, and they are marvelous for finishing braids, where my big satin scrunchies look a little silly.

Llama
July 4th, 2016, 06:48 PM
I got my hair trimmed on Saturday and she straightened it before the trim. I have been loving wearing it down and straight. It looks so silky and long when it is straightened. I am not looking forward to hair washing day tomorrow- I want to keep the sleek look!
But I am however looking forward to doing some deep conditioning, since it had high heat applied to it and all.

mindwiped
July 4th, 2016, 07:24 PM
I got my hair trimmed on Saturday and she straightened it before the trim. I have been loving wearing it down and straight. It looks so silky and long when it is straightened. I am not looking forward to hair washing day tomorrow- I want to keep the sleek look!
But I am however looking forward to doing some deep conditioning, since it had high heat applied to it and all.

I understand that. My hair guy will straighten mine occasionally (he LOVES my curls, so usually goes for 1980s era volume, sigh). Straightened it's so easy to figure out my length, and exactly how much he trimmed, but he's a product junky so usually I /have/ to wash it, because I can't finger detangle it. Curly I HAVE to wash it, that night, or it'll be a gummy stuck together mess in the morning (I sleep hot, and wear cpap, so I have head gear that flattens parts of my hair. Between the flattening and the sweat, it's gummy).

spirals
July 4th, 2016, 08:48 PM
Guys I just tried using almond oil in my hair for the first time this morning

I don't think I've ever had a problem with greasiness using almond oil. Wonderful stuff.

Llama
July 4th, 2016, 09:18 PM
I understand that. My hair guy will straighten mine occasionally (he LOVES my curls, so usually goes for 1980s era volume, sigh). Straightened it's so easy to figure out my length, and exactly how much he trimmed, but he's a product junky so usually I /have/ to wash it, because I can't finger detangle it. Curly I HAVE to wash it, that night, or it'll be a gummy stuck together mess in the morning (I sleep hot, and wear cpap, so I have head gear that flattens parts of my hair. Between the flattening and the sweat, it's gummy).

Yeah if she had put hairspray and stuff in my hair you better believe I would have washed it out that night.

Llama
July 4th, 2016, 09:19 PM
Also I cut a few hair ties out of a pair of old pantyhose, and they are marvelous for finishing braids, where my big satin scrunchies look a little silly.

I love my pantyhose hair ties. Gentle but not bulky like scrunchies. So nice.

Katia_k
July 5th, 2016, 01:10 AM
I love my pantyhose hair ties. Gentle but not bulky like scrunchies. So nice.

I always heard of people doing it, but never really thought about it, since I just don't use hair ties that much for anything anymore. But they are just so nice for braids, and probably for a chinese bun. Also an excellent way to use up old tights when I can't wear them anymore, since I dress up a lot for work and tend to wear them out. I love when I get a chance to be thrifty. :D

I don't think I've ever had a problem with greasiness using almond oil. Wonderful stuff.

I've had everybody swear to me about so many oils, and none of them have ever worked for me, so I was very wary. And initially when I put it on I was afraid it was going to make my hair sticky like coconut oil. But I even threw a little gel on on top of it, and my hair feels marvelous, and doesn't even have the nasty dryness gel sometimes gives me. I never knew...it's like the magic of discovering spin pins all over again. Life-changer. I need to start listening to you people sooner. :)

Kirby-oh
July 5th, 2016, 01:25 AM
My hairstylist is off the schedule completely; she should be having her baby around now. What do I do now? :P

Decoy24601
July 5th, 2016, 01:32 AM
Well, I did some research again and I figured out that making my own coconut oil/shea butter based hair moisturizer/leave-in and regular conditioner would be cheaper than buying a premade one of mostly the same ingredients. My allergies have gotten to the point to where I can't really handle the fragrances in many products, so this was nice to find out. It's also a fairly easy and simple process from the looks of it.

turtlelover
July 5th, 2016, 08:25 AM
The only dye that I will use that doesn't cause damage -- semipermanent -- really does fade too quickly for my taste, however, I am really scared to switch to henna and indigo because of the level of commitment required. Not to mention, the stuff looks like a PAIN to mix and apply as often as I would have to use it. Blah!

JustPam
July 5th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Wondering if I should have a more structured hair routine, or just keep winging it.

polarnatt
July 5th, 2016, 09:04 AM
For the first time since my big chop my hair actually felt longer today. I can just feel the ends of my hair moving on my back and it's wonderful. I can't wait until BSL and 'til it actually starts to feel long, I can't even describe how much I've missed the feeling of long hair.

Temme
July 5th, 2016, 09:05 AM
My hairstylist is off the schedule completely; she should be having her baby around now. What do I do now? :P

Grow grow grow! :)

Temme
July 5th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Well, I did some research again and I figured out that making my own coconut oil/shea butter based hair moisturizer/leave-in and regular conditioner would be cheaper than buying a premade one of mostly the same ingredients.

Although I think I'll stick to regular old conditioner, that sounds very cool.

triumphator!
July 5th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Wow I guess 15 total hours of chlorinated pool water isn't a great idea for keeping hair moisturized... :ohmy:

ETA: man that little smiley is really entertaining!

PixieP
July 5th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Lol you need wayyy thicker hair than mine to make amish braids look good. Oh well. I managed to do it though.

I hate practising braids. I feel like I'm ripping out half my hair.

Next stop, Daenerys' Mhysa braids (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/6c/37/44/6c374492ac760fb712d492f18b06c3db.jpg)

Nique1202
July 5th, 2016, 09:33 AM
I had to refill my main conditioner bottle today, and I ended up with slightly different proportions of the two conditioners I combine in it (Tresemme colour protection even though I don't colour my hair, and Herbal Essences argan oil) and somehow after washing and conditioning my hair now smells like cake. Unsure if this is a good thing as it's making me REALLY hungry!

Inga-Marjukka
July 5th, 2016, 09:56 AM
The cap is finished and currently on my head :beerchug::violin::knitfrog:

I'm pretty pleased with it, although the seams can't be called tidy by any account. It seems to stay on well but I could always use bobby pins to make it stay put or then use the rest of the fabric to make pillowcases if the cap really just doesn't work. My dad put the finished cap on his head for a laugh and managed to look like a medieval lecher because the material is bright red :lol:

hayheadsbird
July 5th, 2016, 10:42 AM
I totally get the hype. My Ficcare arrived today, it's fab!

irishsapphire
July 5th, 2016, 12:02 PM
I think I'm going to make a few paranda (or whatever the plural of that is) today with some fingering wool I have laying around. I'm hoping I have some browns that will match pretty closely to my hair color, I'd like to make one that is discreet and one that is not. I think the brown one would be fantastic to braid and then wrap the braid around my head (crown braid? milkmaid style? whatever its called...) to keep the hairs off my neck and give it a break from the stress of a bun.

I'm hoping the wool will play nicely with my hair....

Nique1202
July 5th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Now that my hair is getting in my way more, I'm feeling less and less obsessed with leaving it down as much as possible. Until midback I wanted to keep it out of my way because it didn't feel nearly long enough yet and I'd just get the urge to go back to my old comfortable lengths, and from midback to tailbone it's been rather nice to have length to show off, but it looks like from tailbone onward it's mostly braids or buns for me except for the rare occasion I really need to let my hair loose and feel wild.

If it weren't for my slipperiness and thickness, I'd consider maintaining a couple of inches shorter than I am now (probably around 33 inches) so that I could keep wearing it loose but once my layers are gone I won't be able to bun at that length almost at all. And even if I do choose to chop back to that length later, I've gotta try for more in the mean time, greedy vain creature that I am. :stirpot:

diddiedaisy
July 5th, 2016, 03:04 PM
I'm going to attempt to sleep in a scarf tonight. I don't have high hopes for it staying on, I'm a front sleeper and toss my head from side to side all night, I'm going to get a silk pillow case next week I think.

Frankenstein
July 5th, 2016, 11:12 PM
My hair is bumming me out so much lately. It's perpetually frizzy, tangly, dry-ish feeling, and yet oily/coated feeling at the same time. It's also shedding more than normal and I keep finding gunky white stuff (build-up) in my hairbrush. It just never looks good or behaves. I'm going to try clarifying it my next wash but I just did that two weeks ago; I really shouldn't be having to do it again so soon.

Inga-Marjukka
July 5th, 2016, 11:27 PM
First night with the new cap is over, and it stayed on really well. I'm pleased and my hair isn't tangly and doesn't feel coarse. :sleep:

I think I'll celebrate by going back to bed...

AutobotsAttack
July 5th, 2016, 11:28 PM
It's been a minute since I've been on here. Haven't forgotten about you guys. My hair is just skimming Mid Back. Never thought I'd make it this far but I'm happy :)

Decoy24601
July 5th, 2016, 11:28 PM
First night with the new cap is over, and it stayed on really well. I'm pleased and my hair isn't tangly and doesn't feel coarse. :sleep:

I think I'll celebrate by going back to bed...

That's always a nice way to celebrate anything ;).

Inga-Marjukka
July 6th, 2016, 01:39 AM
Too bad I wasn't sleepy anymore! Instead I did my second ACV-rinse ever and am waiting to see what my hair is like once it's dry, then maybe put some oil in.

Decoy24601
July 6th, 2016, 01:46 AM
Good luck! ACV seems to be a gamble with my hair. Some days my hair loves it, and others it gives my hair an odd texture. I've found that when I braid my hair for bed just getting the braid damp with my hands and diluted ACV and leaving it overnight has been the most reliable. I also add just a tiny bit of honey.

DoomKitty
July 6th, 2016, 01:51 AM
I did it...pink and purple and silver :D http://i.imgur.com/RHm0nLNm.jpg

Inga-Marjukka
July 6th, 2016, 06:38 AM
My hair loved ACV, at least today. First I CO-washed, then put the warm diluted ACV on my head of 10 minutes and rinsed. I had to add some coney oil now that it's dry because I'm always so scared for my bleached ends. DoomKitty, lovely colours, suits you beautifully :love:

diddiedaisy
July 6th, 2016, 06:51 AM
I did it...pink and purple and silver :D http://i.imgur.com/RHm0nLNm.jpg

I love it, looks great :)

Arctic
July 6th, 2016, 07:38 AM
Partially crossposting: I got one of my crazy fits and decided to try to encourage my waves. Crazy I tell you - I get these fits few times a year! I know from the history that I end up with messy, weak, stringy waves - what I call an aging rock star hair. So far, when it's still damp, I seem to have at least one spiral at the back, though! Too bad no-one will see it because my straight-ish canopy will hide it (it is because of my straighter canopy that I get the messy, stringy waves. My underside is much wavier, although I don't normally encourage it).

And, I have figured out another way to get my double crown dry nicely, other than blow drying or headbanging to dry (gently! of course! More like rocking head upside down). I just comb my crown area well, section off a circular area from there (making sure the 2 cowlicks are included in that area), and then use a mini claw clip to hold it together until it dries.

This does take a longer while to dry this way, but I have noticed that if I take the clip down few times during the air dying and fluff the section before re-clipping, it speeds it up. It also don't have to keep the clip on untill it's 100% dry.

This helps my crown area dry pretty nicely and the claw clip doesn't leave any crimp marks. I have been meaning to test this over night too, if this could be a way to conserve my hair looking good for second day, but I keep forgetting.

Cg
July 6th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Partially crossposting: I got one of my crazy fits and decided to try to encourage my waves. Crazy I tell you - I get these fits few times a year! I know from the history that I end up with messy, weak, stringy waves - what I call an aging rock star hair. So far, when it's still damp, I seem to have at least one spiral at the back, though! Too bad no-one will see it because my straight-ish canopy will hide it (it is because of my straighter canopy that I get the messy, stringy waves. My underside is much wavier, although I don't normally encourage it).

And, I have figured out another way to get my double crown dry nicely, other than blow drying or headbanging to dry (gently! of course! More like rocking head upside down). I just com my crown area well, section off a circular area from the crown (making sure the 2 cowlicks are included in that area), and then use a mini claw clip to hold it together until it dries.

This does take a longer while to dry this way, but I have noticed that if I take the clip down few times during the air dying and fluff the section before re-clipping, it speeds it up. It also don't have to keep the clip on untill it's 100% dry.

This helps my crown area dry pretty nicely and the claw clip doesn't leave any crip marks. I have been meaning to test this over night too, if this could be a way to conserve my hair looking good for second day, but I keep forgetting.

I do that every wash day. It helps the underside dry, and then I remove the clip and let the crown dry. Seems to give a bit more volume, especially if I give the crown part a loose twist before clipping.

Arctic
July 6th, 2016, 08:30 AM
I do that every wash day. It helps the underside dry, and then I remove the clip and let the crown dry. Seems to give a bit more volume, especially if I give the crown part a loose twist before clipping.

Good to hear it works for others, too. Yes this speeds up the underside drying time, but slows down the canopy/crown area drying time, so it's a +/- 0. I can't make any poof or volumey things to this area when I clip, that would just allow the double crown cow licks to dry like they would like to, and I want them to not seperate and whorl, but stay together and go in one direction.

missrandie
July 6th, 2016, 08:54 AM
My nape is purple, and I love it!

Decoy24601
July 6th, 2016, 09:21 AM
I tried putting extra coconut oil in my hair and as a pre-poo treatment and wow, did I make a mistake. I had to shampoo three times and I still don't have it out of my hair completely. I'm never doing that again.

diddiedaisy
July 6th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Arctic, double crowns are a nightmare. We all have them in this house along with cowlicks at the front. I have to wear my parting on the right, if I move it to the left boy does that double shout!!! One side must be stronger than the other. It also means though that in the morning my hair is everywhere, in all directions and I look like I've had a roller at the crown all night, it really sticks up. haha Yes, that's right, I'm a natural beauty when I rise!!! :D

triumphator!
July 6th, 2016, 09:59 AM
I have GOT to stop using my Tangle Teezer!

Arctic
July 6th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Arctic, double crowns are a nightmare. We all have them in this house along with cowlicks at the front. I have to wear my parting on the right, if I move it to the left boy does that double shout!!! One side must be stronger than the other. It also means though that in the morning my hair is everywhere, in all directions and I look like I've had a roller at the crown all night, it really sticks up. haha Yes, that's right, I'm a natural beauty when I rise!!! :D

Mine doesn't stick up, mine is very flat against my head and whorly, and it divides my hair like red sea at the crown :D Oh the joys! I can and do wear all kinds of different parts, but I need to dry my crown in very specific ways and all those efforts are gone with the wind after sleeping. The double crown always resets during the night.

When I remember, I will try clipping the crown area for night with claw clip to see if that helps at all.

PixieP
July 6th, 2016, 10:45 AM
I'll need to try that, Arctic! I have a super annoyig whorl at my crown too, drives me nuts!

I've had almond oil and a generous amount of aloe on my lengths since yesterday, curious to see the result when (if) I get around to washing it out today. My hair looks like tarnished copper wire now XD

KellyZoe
July 6th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Mine doesn't stick up, mine is very flat against my head and whorly, and it divides my hair like red sea at the crown :D Oh the joys! I can and do wear all kinds of different parts, but I need to dry my crown in very specific ways and all those efforts are gone with the wind after sleeping. The double crown always resets during the night.

When I remember, I will try clipping the crown area for night with claw clip to see if that helps at all.

My cowlicks both point my hair to my right. I spent years trying to fight them, but now I let them win... at first. I dry my hair with a left part, with all of my hair going right. It looks poofy as it dries, but after it's dry, it's all flat. So then I make a right part, and it's all voluminous, and my cowlicks don't fight it as much. Sometimes halfway through the day, it'll get flat again, so I switch parts again. It's so much fun to read about everyone's different experiences with these pesky hair "features", ha! :D

I'm going to give the claw clip thing a try. Maybe I can get some more volume in the back crown section.

Frankenstein
July 6th, 2016, 01:08 PM
I will never understand how my one-inch long new growth behaves better and sticks out less than my longer, six-inch or so growth :roll:

Sunshine&Opals
July 6th, 2016, 02:46 PM
I have GOT to stop using my Tangle Teezer!

Why, Triumphator?!

irishsapphire
July 6th, 2016, 03:01 PM
I think my hair hates plain soap and WV rinses.... I have a shampoo I love love that's made from saponified oils and non-saponified versions of the same oils, which you follow with a vinegar rinse. I haven't used it in a while because last few times it made my hair feel gummy. I tried it again today, and now my hair feels odd.... It feels kind of like I had my length gelled and then brushed the gel out... Very coated in something, but not gummy like before.

I'm sad because I have almost a whole bottle of the stuff, but I can't stand how it makes my hair feel. I really don't want to wash it again (for the second time today), but this is driving me nuts.....

triumphator!
July 6th, 2016, 04:29 PM
Why, Triumphator?!

It demolishes my natural texture :(

Don't get me wrong, it is 1) excellent for disasters and knots and 2) extremely gentle. But in the end, it's a brush - I really need to just use my hands or a wide toothed pick to keep my temperamental waves from getting strung out.

Decoy24601
July 6th, 2016, 04:33 PM
I think my hair hates plain soap and WV rinses.... I have a shampoo I love love that's made from saponified oils and non-saponified versions of the same oils, which you follow with a vinegar rinse. I haven't used it in a while because last few times it made my hair feel gummy. I tried it again today, and now my hair feels odd.... It feels kind of like I had my length gelled and then brushed the gel out... Very coated in something, but not gummy like before.

I'm sad because I have almost a whole bottle of the stuff, but I can't stand how it makes my hair feel. I really don't want to wash it again (for the second time today), but this is driving me nuts.....

Could it be that the non-saponified oils are building up in your hair?

ashke50
July 6th, 2016, 05:18 PM
I found myself wondering the other day how many people there are in the world with knee length purple streaked hair. I doubt I'm unique, but it must be a pretty small group!

gingerknits
July 6th, 2016, 06:06 PM
I do, too, so doing my hair would take up a chunk o' time. I'm not sure you should high-five my vanity. :laugh:

ETA: Not saying gingerknits is being vain at all. I'm just speaking on my character, which is weak in that area.

The issue is less about appearances and more about being comfortable and keeping my hair safe. It was down for the first 24 hours and was almost matted tangly by the time I came to from pain meds enough to both remember its existence and brush it.

DoomKitty
July 6th, 2016, 08:52 PM
My hair loved ACV, at least today. First I CO-washed, then put the warm diluted ACV on my head of 10 minutes and rinsed. I had to add some coney oil now that it's dry because I'm always so scared for my bleached ends. DoomKitty, lovely colours, suits you beautifully :love:

Thank you!

DoomKitty
July 6th, 2016, 08:54 PM
I love it, looks great :)

Thank you! I was a bit excited about it lol I kinda posted it here, instagram and sent several pics to DH hahaha

irishsapphire
July 6th, 2016, 09:21 PM
Could it be that the non-saponified oils are building up in your hair?

From one use? I don't know.... :ponder: :ponder: I regularly use oils, so one wouldn't think that, but it very well could be that they aren't rinsing off and the vinegar isn't washing them out.... :undecided :undecided It's not like I use products that would build up, I just don't know... It's a mystery! :confused: :confused: :confused:

I lasted about an hour after I posted, then I washed my hair again. Soooooooo much better.

Decoy24601
July 7th, 2016, 12:28 AM
X.X I walk out of the bathroom after applying my SMT with a grocery bag wrapped around my hair (which is in a high bun). My SO starts staring at me and giggling. I put my hair in a vase while soaking it in FRW? He doesn't even notice, but apparently a grocery bag is just too much for him to handle :p.

diddiedaisy
July 7th, 2016, 01:22 AM
X.X I walk out of the bathroom after applying my SMT with a grocery bag wrapped around my hair (which is in a high bun). My SO starts staring at me and giggling. I put my hair in a vase while soaking it in FRW? He doesn't even notice, but apparently a grocery bag is just too much for him to handle :p.

At the age of 46 I am still unable to understand men!!! I'm mean let's face it who hasn't walked around with a bag on their head? With a vase???? Lol :)

Decoy24601
July 7th, 2016, 01:24 AM
At the age of 46 I am still unable to understand men!!! I'm mean let's face it who hasn't walked around with a bag on their head? With a vase???? Lol :)

Hah, yeah. I used the vase to soak the length of my hair because I didn't want to have to hold a bowl up to my head for 30 mins. The vase made it to where I could prop it up in my lap and easily soak the length of my hair. I thought it looked much more ridiculous than having a bag on my head.

Inga-Marjukka
July 7th, 2016, 08:33 AM
I stocked up on ACV today for the rinses. Out of interest, how often do people do the rinses? I'd also love to try rice water or fermented rice water.

Hailwidis
July 7th, 2016, 08:44 AM
I am most definitely not a natural when it comes to bunning. I don't know whether it's through lack of skill or because my hair is not quite long enough yet (brushing waist), but cinnabuns don't hold unless it's a fork, my nautiluses don't look like they should (I learnt them from a youtube video where a lot of commenters state that she's not showing a nautilus, so that could be it), my Kaelee disc buns are lumpy and don't look right either... :laugh:

Oh well, at least they protect my hair and keep it out of harm's way.

Still not sure I get the difference between a LWB and a nautilus :confused:

missrandie
July 7th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Seriously thinking about re-dying my nape, this time with either Hot Hot Pink or a mix of Purple Haze and HHP.

I love the purple, but it doesn't have much for stay power. Last time I mixed the two, the purple stayed much longer.

turtlelover
July 7th, 2016, 09:07 AM
I still have demi color in the bottom half of my hair, and the semi that I am using now fades out faster on the top half of my hair. Talk about annoying! I am just going to do the upper half of my hair this next time since I think the bottom is more porous and needs more time to fade. Blah!

diddiedaisy
July 7th, 2016, 10:47 AM
I was just over on makeupalley having a nosey at some conditioner reviews and came across this comment - How on earth can people go 3,4 or 5 days without washing their hair? It's disgusting! I like to have nice, clean, fresh hair so wash it every day. - Hmmmm, not a LHC'er then lol

PixieP
July 7th, 2016, 10:50 AM
I am most definitely not a natural when it comes to bunning. I don't know whether it's through lack of skill or because my hair is not quite long enough yet (brushing waist), but cinnabuns don't hold unless it's a fork, my nautiluses don't look like they should (I learnt them from a youtube video where a lot of commenters state that she's not showing a nautilus, so that could be it), my Kaelee disc buns are lumpy and don't look right either... :laugh:

I think you've seen the same nautilus video as me, she's basically doing a LWB but wrapping hair around the entire hand instead of around the fingers. I thought I knew how to do a nautilus until I saw hypnotica's video. And now I'm completly lost as to how to actually do a Nautilus, I don't understand it from the videos I've seen <.<

I need to learn more buns in general. I only know LWB and chinese bun, and I don't do the chinese one since it requires a hairtie and the whole point of these buns for me is no hairtie. I know how to do a cinnabun but I don't like how flat they become on me.

Arctic
July 7th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Uisng claw clip to hold my crown area hair together during the night worked, and my double crown cowlicks behaved pretty nicely today! (Note, this was after drying my double crown nicely after a wash the day before. It probably wouldn't work if the double crown wouldn't have been behaving already in the evening.)

Frankenstein
July 7th, 2016, 12:25 PM
I was just over on makeupalley having a nosey at some conditioner reviews and came across this comment - How on earth can people go 3,4 or 5 days without washing their hair? It's disgusting! I like to have nice, clean, fresh hair so wash it every day. - Hmmmm, not a LHC'er then lol

I used to spend a good bit of time on that site and I think I know the exact comment you're talking about... that person actually seemed angry at the thought of someone not washing their hair daily. So weird :rolleyes:

diddiedaisy
July 7th, 2016, 12:38 PM
I used to spend a good bit of time on that site and I think I know the exact comment you're talking about... that person actually seemed angry at the thought of someone not washing their hair daily. So weird :rolleyes:

You're right, it is quite angry. Still, she made me laugh and I'm a daily washer. I find these kind of posters funny, they must be quite uptight people. The daily mail comments are often of the same ilk. The news is no good so I skip the stories and just read the comments. It never fails to amaze me and make me chuckle, usually while shaking my head :)

Nique1202
July 7th, 2016, 12:41 PM

I think you've seen the same nautilus video as me, she's basically doing a LWB but wrapping hair around the entire hand instead of around the fingers. I thought I knew how to do a nautilus until I saw hypnotica's video. And now I'm completly lost as to how to actually do a Nautilus, I don't understand it from the videos I've seen <.<

I need to learn more buns in general. I only know LWB and chinese bun, and I don't do the chinese one since it requires a hairtie and the whole point of these buns for me is no hairtie. I know how to do a cinnabun but I don't like how flat they become on me.

For both of you: a proper nautilus tutorial (https://youtu.be/b86ZH0J7xtE?t=1m14s)! The nautilus loop gets twisted out, while the lazy wrap just gets wrapped around the hair while you're holding the "ponytail" base. It's not a HUGELY different effect, but it is different with regard to how it holds. Some hair types prefer one over the other, some hair don't care.

Some folks use a few turnings of a braid instead of a ponytail on the chinese bun, which may help you in that regard. Then you'd just have to pin the ends in at the end. The disc bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5sSEBy7HQ)is almost like the lazy wrap split in two.

Other than that, many buns are just a variation on the cinnabun. Like, I know for sure the infinity/figure-8, orchid, and treble clef buns are just a cinnabun with one loop twisted off a particular way at some point in the process. There's also the "knot bun" which is basically just tying the hair in a knot and wrapping the tail, which is also used as the base for some other buns and styles. Just gotta dig into those youtube tutorials and start practicing!

Arctic
July 7th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Ha ha, I like reading Daily Mail comments :D Also some Finnish forums have a very interesting commenting culture, every single post is shot down - often spiced with personal insults to the writers. It's so silly, but as a someone studying cultural studies and literature this kind of forum culture is extremely interesting.

*crawls back under a rock*

irishsapphire
July 7th, 2016, 01:22 PM
For both of you: a proper nautilus tutorial (https://youtu.be/b86ZH0J7xtE?t=1m14s)! The nautilus loop gets twisted out, while the lazy wrap just gets wrapped around the hair while you're holding the "ponytail" base. It's not a HUGELY different effect, but it is different with regard to how it holds. Some hair types prefer one over the other, some hair don't care.

Some folks use a few turnings of a braid instead of a ponytail on the chinese bun, which may help you in that regard. Then you'd just have to pin the ends in at the end. The disc bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5sSEBy7HQ)is almost like the lazy wrap split in two.

Other than that, many buns are just a variation on the cinnabun. Like, I know for sure the infinity/figure-8, orchid, and treble clef buns are just a cinnabun with one loop twisted off a particular way at some point in the process. There's also the "knot bun" which is basically just tying the hair in a knot and wrapping the tail, which is also used as the base for some other buns and styles. Just gotta dig into those youtube tutorials and start practicing!

Oh nice! Didn't think of that! I kind of like the look of a Chinese bun, but hate pony tails... I'll have to try that tomorrow!

Inga-Marjukka
July 7th, 2016, 02:49 PM
My hair LOVES ACV-rinses. :cloud9::pray: The coarse strands I have are much softer, and I already had started thinking that nothing could possibly soften them. I did some reading and apparently some people do an ACV-rinse every time they wash, be that every day or weekly, but I've only found ACV in small bottles, not the massive "industrial size" containers of cloudy stuff I keep seeing on Pinterest. That being said, I'm going to have to hold myself back from doing it every single time because I'd have to buy so many bottles...

turtlelover
July 7th, 2016, 02:49 PM
My hubby bought me a Tangle Teezer! So excited to try it! WooHoo!

Arctic
July 7th, 2016, 03:04 PM
My hair LOVES ACV-rinses. :cloud9::pray: The coarse strands I have are much softer, and I already had started thinking that nothing could possibly soften them. I did some reading and apparently some people do an ACV-rinse every time they wash, be that every day or weekly, but I've only found ACV in small bottles, not the massive "industrial size" containers of cloudy stuff I keep seeing on Pinterest. That being said, I'm going to have to hold myself back from doing it every single time because I'd have to buy so many bottles...

How much did you use it, if you think a bottle is going to be used up fast? Usually people seem to use very little per rinse. You can buy the non-refined apple cider vinegar from health food stores, but my personal experience has always been that all different vinegars I've tried had same results.

Inga-Marjukka
July 7th, 2016, 03:09 PM
I put 1 part ACV 3 parts water. part = 1 dl

Cutting back on the amount could be a good idea...

Arctic
July 7th, 2016, 03:13 PM

This is from the top of my head, so I might remember wrongly, but I think many use something like few table spoons in liter of water, or something. I personally liked them a bit stronger than that, though (my hair used to like them a lot, now it doesn't anymore).

littlestarface
July 7th, 2016, 03:19 PM
I received my tresemme naturals I ordered and it is indeed the real thing. http://www.ebay.com/itm/112017506082?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Silverbleed
July 7th, 2016, 03:22 PM

I've read it depends on the hardness of your water. Don't know if it's true, as I cannot compare. I use only about 1 teaspoon in 250ml.

Inga-Marjukka
July 7th, 2016, 04:07 PM
Thanks Silverbleed and Arctic! I'll try it milder next time. I had no idea about that, I just read that it's 1/3 and that's it.

MINAKO
July 7th, 2016, 06:46 PM
I'm finally getting myself a crea clip. Chances are i'll cut back to tailbone, as for now i think i want to cut 10cm. I really dislike the fact that wearing it down in a normal daily environment is so troublesome.

spirals
July 7th, 2016, 06:51 PM
I put 3 to 4 tablespoons ACV in a quart-sized cup of water. Yeah, it's a lot, but oh my goodness, the shine and curl!

Frankenstein
July 7th, 2016, 09:37 PM
I used Suave's moisture mask tonight and my hair was pleasantly easy to comb through afterwards, which it hasn't been the past two weeks. Maybe all my hair needed was a good dose of moisture.

Ellethwyn
July 7th, 2016, 11:13 PM
:cheese::disco::joy:Aw yeah! I just updated my current length to tailbone! I'm so happy to finally reach my original goal. On to Classic I go! :cheer::eye::bounce:

DoomKitty
July 8th, 2016, 02:03 AM
:cheese::disco::joy:Aw yeah! I just updated my current length to tailbone! I'm so happy to finally reach my original goal. On to Classic I go! :cheer::eye::bounce:

Congratulations!

PixieP
July 8th, 2016, 05:29 AM
My hair is the weirdest texture right now. I slept with a Dutch braid and has major braid waves when I got up and unbraided. Finger combed, and put it in a pretty tight LWB. Took it down now, after 3 hours in the LWB, and I have braid waves and bun waves! At the same time! It's soooo cool. Like wavy loose curls. Can't explain it and husband isn't home so I can't get a picture either :(

vampyyri
July 8th, 2016, 08:22 AM
I deviated from the CG method and my hair hates me for it... it used to love silicone conditioners, but it's rebelling with a bunch of frizz. So up in a loose bun it goes for today!

Inga-Marjukka
July 8th, 2016, 09:21 AM

Congratulations! :applause:blossom:

pailin
July 8th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Snapped my wood comb a few days ago and still missing it

vampyyri
July 8th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Go figure, I put my hair in a damp braided bun for all of an hour, and now the frizz is gone and my hair is happy again... make up your mind, hair!! :headache:

lithostoic
July 8th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Had a dream last night that I purchased beautiful hair sticks and a ficcare from a kiosk in the mall, and then when I looked at them closely they were actually just crappy pencils with that plasticated paper coating that tends to rip hair out.

Katia_k
July 8th, 2016, 02:03 PM
I spent last night getting over a bout of food poisoning, and then had to go out, so I stuck my hair up with a stick. I should probably leave it, but it's very uncomfortable to lay on now that I've crawled back into bed with the cats.

Really what I should do is get up and wash it....I went swimming a few days ago and still haven't shampooed. But I'm so lazy and laying down still feels so good...

vampyyri
July 8th, 2016, 02:06 PM
I spent last night getting over a bout of food poisoning, and then had to go out, so I stuck my hair up with a stick. I should probably leave it, but it's very uncomfortable to lay on now that I've crawled back into bed with the cats.

Really what I should do is get up and wash it....I went swimming a few days ago and still haven't shampooed. But I'm so lazy and laying down still feels so good...

Food poisoning is the worst... :grouphug: but perhaps a long shower would help you feel better, I know it always helps me!

But if you're comfy with your kitties, they haven't given you much of a choice :lol:

Ellethwyn
July 8th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Congratulations!

Congratulations! :applause:blossom:

Thanks, ladies! :)

Ellethwyn
July 8th, 2016, 04:07 PM
That sucks, Katia_k !!! Drink lots of water and get plenty of rest. I bet a shower will feel so good when you feel up to it.

Katia_k
July 8th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Thanks, folks. I did end up showering; Curl Keeper came in the mail and I had to try it. So that was insentive to de-cat myself and clean up. I feel like at least 3/4ths of a real human now. With any luck, a few more hours and glasses of water will restore the final quarter.

Really appreciate the well-wishes. :)

Adorkable One
July 8th, 2016, 05:14 PM
It's been exactly 5 weeks since I last bleached my roots. I have precisely one inch of regrowth. I'm conflicted whether I want to bleach my roots again, and continue on with that life.....or mark this as the day I give up bleach altogether.

I dyed my hair dark, because I'm tired of the maintenance that comes with bleach, and the dark colors were supposed to make it easier for me to grow out my hair. On the other hand, I can't imagine not being able to do fun colors. Even if I grew out my bleached hair, I doubt I will go back to my total natural hair. Knowing how hard it is to get blond without outstanding damage, I know it would be easier to just keep up with the regrowth, because if I change my mind 6 months from now, and decide to bleach my hair again, it will be really hard to bleach that regrowth, and thus, I risk unnecessary damage. Sigh. Part of me wants unicorn hair forever, the other side of me wishes I had never dyed my hair in the first place.

All I now is I want long hair. That's the only thing that's clear within my hair goals. Everything else, I couldn't be more conflicted.

zashin66
July 8th, 2016, 11:09 PM
It's been exactly 5 weeks since I last bleached my roots. I have precisely one inch of regrowth. I'm conflicted whether I want to bleach my roots again, and continue on with that life.....or mark this as the day I give up bleach altogether.

I dyed my hair dark, because I'm tired of the maintenance that comes with bleach, and the dark colors were supposed to make it easier for me to grow out my hair. On the other hand, I can't imagine not being able to do fun colors. Even if I grew out my bleached hair, I doubt I will go back to my total natural hair. Knowing how hard it is to get blond without outstanding damage, I know it would be easier to just keep up with the regrowth, because if I change my mind 6 months from now, and decide to bleach my hair again, it will be really hard to bleach that regrowth, and thus, I risk unnecessary damage. Sigh. Part of me wants unicorn hair forever, the other side of me wishes I had never dyed my hair in the first place.

All I now is I want long hair. That's the only thing that's clear within my hair goals. Everything else, I couldn't be more conflicted.

Your colors are cute. I always envied people who were more adventurous with their hair color. My hair doesn't seem to like the coloring process very well. It gets so very dry and brittle.

Sunshine&Opals
July 9th, 2016, 01:55 AM
It demolishes my natural texture :(

Don't get me wrong, it is 1) excellent for disasters and knots and 2) extremely gentle. But in the end, it's a brush - I really need to just use my hands or a wide toothed pick to keep my temperamental waves from getting strung out.

Ahhh, I see, Triumphator, thanks for explaining that! I have one too, and am happy with it, but can see that it might change my wave pattern, simply because it's a brush, at the end of the day.

Arctic
July 9th, 2016, 02:17 AM
I tried to take photos of my double crown. They are so unflattering that I might not post them, though, ha ha! What makes the photos even worse is that I had a bit oily hair already, because this really seems to make the whorls become more visible.

I has been really lovely to hear about others struggling with this, most of the time when I mention my double crown in threads, or ask suggestions to, for example, heatless curls that would help the crown area dry better, people seem to be clueless and their interest wanes immediately. I don't know, they sort of space out the second I mention my problem area and what kinds of struggles it causes me.

Mind you not "lovely to hear" about others with double crown in a way that I would be happy others got it too, but in a way that it's so rare to find people who know the struggles and can empathize.

diddiedaisy
July 9th, 2016, 02:47 AM
I was browsing a beauty website and noticed a post-poo oil. Sounds interesting I thought and clicked on it. Turns out the wording was not short for shampoo and really was quite literal and to the point!! It was an air freshener lol :)

Arctic
July 9th, 2016, 04:24 AM
I was browsing a beauty website and noticed a post-poo oil. Sounds interesting I thought and clicked on it. Turns out the wording was not short for shampoo and really was quite literal and to the point!! It was an air freshener lol :)

LOL! Shows how certain hair specific jargon sticks with us :)

Decoy24601
July 9th, 2016, 05:10 AM
Eeeeek, it's super humid here and pouring rain. My hair is so puffy and it's not even fully dried from showering. I miss living in a dry environment... even though living in a very dry and cold environment was probably terrible for my hair.

I just checked the humidity. It's 94% outside, so it's probably even higher inside my stuffy apartment.

diddiedaisy
July 9th, 2016, 05:25 AM
LOL! Shows how certain hair specific jargon sticks with us :)

Haha sure does. Regarding your pics I have many I won't post!!! But...double crowns are in a league of their own!!

In another note I'd hoped my silky pillowcase would come today, I'll have to hope for Monday instead :(

pailin
July 9th, 2016, 06:50 AM
Honey does seriously amazing things for my hair. I might have an addiction here.....

Adorkable One
July 9th, 2016, 07:31 AM
Your colors are cute. I always envied people who were more adventurous with their hair color. My hair doesn't seem to like the coloring process very well. It gets so very dry and brittle.

Thank you. :) I definitly miss the FEEL my natural hair, the dying process leaves me kind of dry too. Not even dry...but, it just feels different. I miss the feel, but not the color. Lol. My natural shade is your standard issue mousy brown.

I love your golden blonde by the way. I would love that color! :3

Adorkable One
July 9th, 2016, 07:32 AM
I want to order some hair stuff, specifically some oils, but I dread the thought of them being in a hot UPS truck for days and days. :( I can't wait until winter to order stuff!!!

Sunshine&Opals
July 9th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Ahhh, diddiedaisy, I've seen that stuff advertised on QVC. They called it Poo Pourri! It's an oil you, erm, plop into the loo before you, erm, go, iykwim. Delightful.

ephemeri
July 9th, 2016, 08:42 AM
Be careful with your pillows that have satin pillowcases on them!

Whenever I have insomnia I go to the couch so that my tossing/turning/reading/looking at my phone doesn't wake DH. Well last night I took my pillow with me, as I do, and walked a little too close to the exposed brick in our apartment, dragging the satin along its scratchy surface. Now I've got a snarled and scraggly satin pillowcase that will probably unravel in the next wash. Live and learn!

PixieP
July 9th, 2016, 10:55 AM

The part of your hair that is already bleached wil always take fun colours, though. So even if you stop bleaching the roots, you can still do all kinds of fun ombre-effects as your natural hair grows out more. I don't know what your original haircolour is, but I've soon a lot of different hair colours with natural roots and grown out funky colours, and I think it looks nice with every colour :)

Inga-Marjukka
July 9th, 2016, 04:08 PM
I realised that when I went on and on about my sleeping cap sewing, I never distinguished that the fabric I used wasn't satin, but in fact taffeta. Taffeta was the only thing they had in the store that was for sale and resembled satin enough. It feels nice on my hair, and the shiny side is super smooth so I don't think it's that different in use. The only difference could be that it's thicker than satin and could therefore be hotter to wear?

Decoy24601
July 9th, 2016, 05:31 PM
I measured my ponytail for the first time today (I was guessing up until now). I measured a solid 5 inches around. I always knew my hair was thick. No wonder why I can't do a nautilus bun yet! (Or a celtic knot bun... or anything besides a cinnabun or lazy wrap).

turtlelover
July 9th, 2016, 05:49 PM
I really want RED hair. This last round of semi color came out way too dark. Blah!

Decoy24601
July 9th, 2016, 08:06 PM
I don't mean to spam the thread, but I just discovered that I've gotten my hair porosity completely wrong. I always assumed that because I had problems keeping my hair moisturized that it has high-porosity, but I did a float test and figured out that my hair has low-porosity. No wonder why my SMTs don't seem to work at all unless there's excess heat (like standing under hot water in the shower with a grocery bag over my head). No wonder why my hair didn't handle protein-loaded conditioners well. My hair still likes a gelatin protein treatment every once in a while as long as I put honey in it, but it seems to hate larger proteins like whey/wheat. It also makes sense why my hair takes at least 5 minutes in the shower to fully feel wet.

I've been thinking about my hair and its needs wrong this whole time! I'm going to go do an SMT with heat and extra honey and see how my hair responds. No wonder why my hair has been acting up lately. I'm also going to try adding baking soda to the SMT and using an ACV rinse after washing it out.

DoomKitty
July 9th, 2016, 09:22 PM

Maybe let your roots grow out then you'd end up with a dip dye look? No more bleaching but you'd still be able to colour the ends.

lithostoic
July 9th, 2016, 10:05 PM
I wonder if there's any way to bring out red tones in my hair without dye or henna ...