PDA

View Full Version : olive oil shed?

Arden
November 30th, 2012, 04:59 PM
So a couple nights ago I did a scalp massage slash hot oil treatment with xv olive oil. Now its been years since I've done this but with the winter dryness setting onto me I thought perhaps I should give it another go. Problem? I don't remember my head even sheding so much when I did this before. Is it normal? There was quite a bit of hair fall in the sink.

cathair
December 1st, 2012, 04:53 AM
I don't know.. I have only been using olive oil for a short while, I thought it was making my hair shed a lot at first. When I put oil in my hair with my fingers, pretty much every time I move my hand away from my head there would be at least a couple of hairs stuck to my hand, sometimes more of a clump. So I decided I would comb my hair really well before I used it and then try it again to see if the same thing happened, and nearly nothing came out. So I came to the conclusion maybe it helps hairs that should be shed anyway along the way. Normally when I wash my hair I lose somewhere between 20 - 50 hairs when I condition, but I find after I have done this I don't lose any when I condition. I just put it down to them coming out slightly early.

I don't know if this sounds similar to what you were experiencing? Have you massaged you scalp without oil recently? I wonder if this might have helped the shedding along? I can't imagine that would be bad for your hair though. I hope you work it out.

Arden
December 1st, 2012, 09:16 AM
Thank you for responding. That does sound about like what happened with me. Hair sticking to my hands and a wad in the sink. Your probably right. I think we shed a lot more than we realize cause normally it just floats away and doesn't stick to us.. the olive oil makes it stick so we see it. I notice about ever 6 months or so my vacuum doesn't work as well and I take scissors and cut out wads of hair from around the turny thingy. LOL ...I guess since we all work so hard to baby and grow it noticeable hair just throws you into a fit of anxiety... LOL

spidermom
December 1st, 2012, 09:57 AM
I was going to suggest the same. I usually brush my hair before washing, then gather up the shed hairs as I wash and condition, but a lot of them still get away from me, which I find out when the drain slows down, then I have to pull out a wad of hair. I've got the same problem with the vacuum cleaner, so it's obvious that I shed a lot all the time.

hafattack
December 1st, 2012, 10:04 AM
Exact same here for olive oil.. i dont need it so much now that I'm CG but when i was using it i would shed massive amounts both during application and wash