PDA

View Full Version : cones

Tawnylioness
November 29th, 2012, 06:26 PM
hi :) im sure this has been answered a thousand times, but i cant seem to find the articles section..

i have been using no cones condish in my co washing and it has been nice...my hair is past waist now when before i could only grow it to bsl, yesterday i used a coney condish and i must say i miss the silkyness i get from cones...so why where cones bad again? was it they build up and you have to clarify every so often and they coat the hair and hide damage?

vanillabones
November 29th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I use cones so I'm curious to the answers. My hair likes sulphates so I see the clarifying once a month to get rid of build-up as a good thing. :cool:

dulce
November 29th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I have used cones for years and never clarified,it makes my hip length hair slippery so it doesn't tangle,I have never had any sort of problem with it.

jojo
November 29th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Cones are not a bad thing for hair, sure you need to clarify a little more often but they are brilliant at protecting the hair. I go by the rule, if it makes my hair feel and look nice its worth using! Enjoy your cones guilt free, my hair loves them too!

Rivanariko
November 29th, 2012, 11:42 PM
It's an individual thing. Some people find that cones weight their hair down making it limp and harder to manage. Some people find that their hair is more tangle-prone with cones. not using cones made my hair tangle to the point where it was ripping itself from my scalp. There's nothing inherently evil about cones, just make sure to watch for build-up and clarify when necessary. I never wash without them. It's the only thing that keeps my classic length baby-fine hair manageable.

Tawnylioness
November 30th, 2012, 12:36 AM
yay :) thanks for all your answers..i really love my hair when its coney..its all smooth, shiny and silky..it doesnt tangle or have any adverse affects.....can you use oil with cones? i like mineral and jojoba oil

HintOfMint
November 30th, 2012, 12:43 AM
For some people, it's a texture thing (being weighed down, limp, even tangly or plastic feeling), others its a buildup thing and they don't want to clarify too often.

My hair is far more voluminous on a no-cone routine and it holds a curl better without cones. However, I've gone back to cones for the time being and I haven't had a bad hair day since! Yes, my hair is a bit flatter than it would be without the cones, but it's not a terrible look for me since my hair is moderately thick to begin with. I hardly ever have to clarify and my hair doesn't have the heavy, weighed down feeling. I think this largely has to do with finding the right products. Pantene conditioners weighed my hair down like crazy, which I kinda liked, but it could get to be a bit much. My holy grail combination is an Herbal Essences conditioner (tousel me softly or totally twisted) and then Aveda Universal Styling Creme as a leave-in on sopping wet hair. Twist to dry or damp bun.

As a side note, I thought my hair hated protein too, but it turns out that it was also a matter of finding the right product. My Herbal Essences conditioners have protein in them, but they are fantastic conditioners!

So long story short, cones aren't bad at all, but not all cones are created equal. Like any beauty routine, it involves some trial and error and shopping. You might want to watch out for using cones as CO since it goes right on your scalp, but I think you'd notice if your scalp were reacting poorly. To be fair, I did CO for a while without cones and my shedding increased dramatically, so it didn't matter if I used cones or not on my scalp, it was just a no-go for me.

frogs
November 30th, 2012, 03:00 AM
I dont use cones because my hair gets build ups very quickly and i have to use a shampoo containing sulphates to remove them. I find that sulphates are very damageing to my hair, and ever since i stopped using cones and sulphates a year ago i have noticed a very recognizable improvement in the condition of my hair. I guess it is different with everyone, but as cones do coat up your hair i did not see how damaged my hair actually was under that coat. Now, my hair looks better than ever and i know for sure that is doesnt "just look that way" because of the cones.
As i said, everyone had different hair and i hope you find a routine that works for you! :)

hafattack
November 30th, 2012, 05:14 AM
I thought my hair was very happy with sulfates until i started the CG method and am sulfate/cone free. Turns out my hair Loves it. Just play around with it and see what you like!

kitcatsmeow
November 30th, 2012, 05:49 AM
For me, since I only was once a week, the silkiness fades and my ends become crisp. And since I don't use sulfates there is the issue of buildup.

starlamelissa
November 30th, 2012, 06:20 AM
cones are not bad if you shampoo. I shampoo and condition and never ever get build up. My leave in has light cones too! I think its the co-washers who can only use certain cones.

wanted to add-I use sodium laureleth Sulphate shampoo, which is a little gentler than the other sulphates.

RavennaNight
November 30th, 2012, 06:26 AM
I have a love-hate relationship with cones. They do seal the hair, and make it more resilient to damage from day-to-day wear. They are awesome for wearing the hair down often. They create slip, and help with detangling. But if you dye your hair with herbs, like I do, they are a double edged sword :/. Cones usually build up, and require sulphates to wash them out. One does have to clarify the hair, at least in my experience. Sulphates love to strip out indigo, and if I use them regularly for a month, by the time I have to do my roots again, my old roots have an orangey brown tinge. If I don't use cones, I don't have that problem, but have to wear my hair up more because it tangles easier.

blaketob
November 30th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I personally don't use cones because usually products with no cones are more natural and less harsh on your hair. And I recently had to use cones when I went home and I agree I miss it too sometimes.

MaryO
November 30th, 2012, 08:07 AM
I was wondering the same thing, thanks for asking the question Tawnylioness!

Vivalagina
November 30th, 2012, 09:24 AM
My hair tangles with both cones and no cones. It feels silkier with cones, but softer (fur-like if that makes any sense) without cones. I find it easier to keep the "fur" in updos, so that's what swayed me in the end. :)

Vijikanth
November 30th, 2012, 10:14 AM
My hair was curly thick and black. I started using Head and Shoulders as adviced by friends for Dandruff treatment. But I found my hair turned limp dry and lifeless. Its lost volume. Then after some research found that it had Cone. Am glad someone started this thread. I wanted to do it. In India we have lots of herbal products. But there too I find many organic compounds. Am afraid to risk. Any advice on how to bring back the volume. My hair is crossing APL. I need volume some how.