PDA

View Full Version : Double French Braid Troubles

joyfulheart18
November 29th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I have been trying my hand at the double french braid/ french braid pigtails. I have a hard time with it. I can understand how to collect hair from the outside, but not in the middle near the part. It just seems to pull oddly. I've watched a few youtube videos on it but I still can't seem to get the hang of it. Has anyone had this problem, and are there any tips? I can quite easily do a single french braid.

patienceneeded
November 29th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Do you part your hair beforehand?'

What I do is, I part my hair for pigtails and make a pigtail out of one side then french-braid (or dutch!) the other side. Having the half I'm not working with pulled aside in a pigtail keeps my from screwing it all up. Once I get the first side braided, I release the pigtail, comb it out if needed, and then braid that side. Works well for me!

joyfulheart18
November 29th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Do you part your hair beforehand?'

I do, but only on the top...I kind of part it with my hands down the back. Maybe I should use a parting stick and properly part it? Maybe that would help. Thanks for the tip. :)

white.chocolate
November 29th, 2012, 12:39 PM
As long as you part it, there should be no problem. You should also tie one of the pigtails (rather tightly) with an elastic band and flip it in front of you.

spidermom
November 29th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Agreed - part it and tie up the side you're not working on so that you can easily feel the part with your fingers.

(although I rarely part my hair, I just kind of stick my finger through at the center-back of my neck and pull each side over each shoulder. I hate the look of a straight slash of scalp)

joyfulheart18
November 29th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I will certainly try! Thanks. :)

shutterpillar
November 29th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I have no advice, as this is something I am trying to perfect myself (I can do it on other people's hair, just not my own for some reason.) Just wanted you to know you aren't alone! Good luck!

dmilton
November 29th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I definitely agree with the previous postings. Create a part all the way from the front of your head to the nape of your neck. Then tie of the half that you don't plan to braid first. This will keep you from pulling hair from that half into the braid. Once you're done with the first braid you can braid the second one pretty easily.

Lostsoule77
November 29th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Seems like you have already gotten all the advice you need. Just wanted to add that you can just part it with your fingers if you like. Don't have to have a perfect part unless you want to. Just part the whole scalp instead of just the top part and pull the braid you're not working on aside. Good luck. :)

Madora
November 29th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Also, be sure the hair you are working on is completely free of tangles.

As you braid down the head, be sure to "rake" your fingers through the hair, making sure all 3 strands are completely separate. Do it slowly. Keeping the strands separate as you braid makes the process a lot easier.

JamieLeigh
November 29th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I agree, part it all the way down, beforehand, and tie one half away from the other, so that you can't grab hair from that side. If you think looking into a mirror would help, try to find two mirrors that are close to each other so that you can see the back of your head while you braid.

ArienEllariel
November 29th, 2012, 07:20 PM
I have trouble as well.. for some reason the underlayer of hair in the middle of the back of my head has a hard time not just sticking to my head.. lol So it's hard to get it to cooperate when french braiding.