PDA

View Full Version : Updo's and Hair Growth

Ravenwind
November 28th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I noticed that when I have my hair up for several days, my hair seems to have grown A LOT. I don't think it's all in my head, because I can visibly see and feel that it has gotten longer. Does wearing your hair up promote hair growth, or maybe it's just growth that I don't notice until my hair is down? Either way, this has happened my whole life. I swear my hair grows half an inch or so when I leave it up!

Anyone else experience this?

neko_kawaii
November 28th, 2012, 09:30 PM
It does seem that way sometimes. I've been measuring monthly since joining LHC to get a sense of my hairs growth patterns. I wear it up almost all the time and except for one month I've had a consistent .5 inch growth pattern. One month was 1 inch. Not much difference in how I was wearing it from day to day and month to month. *shrug*
Sometimes out of the blue it will just FEEL longer. My best guess for those occasions is that it finally crept up on a new subtle body marker and thus felt different.

Of course it grows the fastest when I am not paying any particular attention to it. I feel a good stretch of hair silence coming on.

Ravenwind
November 28th, 2012, 09:37 PM
It does seem that way sometimes. I've been measuring monthly since joining LHC to get a sense of my hairs growth patterns. I wear it up almost all the time and except for one month I've had a consistent .5 inch growth pattern. One month was 1 inch. Not much difference in how I was wearing it from day to day and month to month. *shrug*
Sometimes out of the blue it will just FEEL longer. My best guess for those occasions is that it finally crept up on a new subtle body marker and thus felt different.

Of course it grows the fastest when I am not paying any particular attention to it. I feel a good stretch of hair silence coming on.

I know exactly what you mean :) I've been working in a doctor's office and had my hair up a lot, and I did the same while I was in school. (I've been training to be a medical assistant so having your hair up was a requirement). But I just noticed more growth. I have been paying less attention to it as well, so that can always be it too :)

Natalia
November 28th, 2012, 09:40 PM
I think it depends on your hair texture what bun your wearing ect.... My hair feels longer when i let it down from a cinnabun because the waves are more subdued. A nautilus leaves kinks which makes it shorted and braided bun dear lord make it short. Since i go to bed after i wash my hair takes on a bed head look which is much wavier than my natural texture or cinnabun waves so it feels longer after its been in an updo than when it wasnt. Does that make sense?

Ravenwind
November 28th, 2012, 09:51 PM
I think it depends on your hair texture what bun your wearing ect.... My hair feels longer when i let it down from a cinnabun because the waves are more subdued. A nautilus leaves kinks which makes it shorted and braided bun dear lord make it short. Since i go to bed after i wash my hair takes on a bed head look which is much wavier than my natural texture or cinnabun waves so it feels longer after its been in an updo than when it wasnt. Does that make sense?

Yup that makes sense. Usually I'll put my hair in a ponytail or a messy bun with a cloth rubberband. When I do the messy bun, my hair looks wild and crazy once I take it out, and it will stay that way until I wash it. Then once my hair is wet I can feel the difference in length, and notice it when it's dry. My hair is also naturally wavy, but it has gotten straighter too.

biogirl87
November 29th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Since joining LHC I haven't had my hair up enough to notice it significantly increasing hair growth, but I did notice that when I started paying less attention to it-when I'd only wash it, and comb/brush it and then forget about it it grew slightly faster. I think it was just neglect/benign neglect increasing hair growth for me rather than me wearing it up.

jojo
November 29th, 2012, 02:20 AM
Wearing hair up doesnt make hair grow quicker, but it does help you retain any growth by preventing damage. Its best to wear buns that protect the ends as these are more prone to damage as they arw the oldest hairs on your head. We call it benign neglect on here, which is basically put it up and forget it!
When hair is worn down it becomes exposed to weather conditions; sun, wind, cold ect and also other factors handbag straps ect all which can damage hair.

Ravenwind
November 29th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Since joining LHC I haven't had my hair up enough to notice it significantly increasing hair growth, but I did notice that when I started paying less attention to it-when I'd only wash it, and comb/brush it and then forget about it it grew slightly faster. I think it was just neglect/benign neglect increasing hair growth for me rather than me wearing it up.

Exactly :) Benign neglect is the way to go. When you don't focus on it so much, it "grows faster"! ;)

Wearing hair up doesnt make hair grow quicker, but it does help you retain any growth by preventing damage. Its best to wear buns that protect the ends as these are more prone to damage as they arw the oldest hairs on your head. We call it benign neglect on here, which is basically put it up and forget it!
When hair is worn down it becomes exposed to weather conditions; sun, wind, cold ect and also other factors handbag straps ect all which can damage hair.

Makes sense :) I have been using benign neglect all year and noticed more growth. I suppose since my hair isn't being damaged by environmental things, the growth is staying there, like you mentioned. Then that makes it seems like it grows faster when I have it up and forget about it. :) Thanks!

jacqueline101
November 29th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I had a run in with a hair disaster this summer. I followed my care routine and found that wearing my hair made it grew. I knew it helped when I first joined the site but I brushed it off as first year luck. Benign neglect is good. From July until now I went from a little past apl to bsl. Its not a lot of growth but its healthy my hair is as thick at the roots as it is at the ends.

Ravenwind
November 30th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I had a run in with a hair disaster this summer. I followed my care routine and found that wearing my hair made it grew. I knew it helped when I first joined the site but I brushed it off as first year luck. Benign neglect is good. From July until now I went from a little past apl to bsl. Its not a lot of growth but its healthy my hair is as thick at the roots as it is at the ends.

Hey at least you are getting growth and your hair is healthy :)

nobeltonya
December 1st, 2012, 05:36 PM
I think it's that you're not concentrating as much on it.. I used to think the same thing.. when my hair was shorter [above waist], I'd always wear it up.. wash in the morning and wear it up in a messy bun [with hair elastic at the time] all day. After a few weeks, it'd seem longer.. now, I wear it down all the time, so it seems to be growing slower. But it'll stall for like 2 weeks around my period, then jump 0.5" or so right after.. :/ Just be aware of how tight you're wearing your hair when it's up.. it'll start to thin. Mine started to thin at the front of my hairline a few years ago, from wearing it up in a tight messy bun all day.. now that I always wear it down [or only up for like an hour at a time] it's thickened and the thinning filled in. :disco:

melusine963
December 1st, 2012, 07:41 PM
I haven't noticed a difference in growth rate since wearing my hair up (in fact, I seem to have hit a bit of a stall). I think I just notice the growth more on the rare occasions I remember to check the length.

maborosi
December 1st, 2012, 07:51 PM
I notice my hair is in better shape when I keep it up more than leave it down, but that's because it doesn't get as much of a chance to get into trouble than when I keep it down. :)
I haven't trimmed it in quite a while now, and it's doing really well since I've been wearing it up every day for the last month and a half or so. I haven't had tangles or anything like that.

~maborosi~

Ravenwind
December 2nd, 2012, 03:23 PM
I think it's that you're not concentrating as much on it.. I used to think the same thing.. when my hair was shorter [above waist], I'd always wear it up.. wash in the morning and wear it up in a messy bun [with hair elastic at the time] all day. After a few weeks, it'd seem longer.. now, I wear it down all the time, so it seems to be growing slower. But it'll stall for like 2 weeks around my period, then jump 0.5" or so right after.. :/ Just be aware of how tight you're wearing your hair when it's up.. it'll start to thin. Mine started to thin at the front of my hairline a few years ago, from wearing it up in a tight messy bun all day.. now that I always wear it down [or only up for like an hour at a time] it's thickened and the thinning filled in. :disco:

I don't wear my hair too tight because of that reason, and I only do it every now and then, because it can cause breakage too. I think part of it is that I'm not concentrating on it, but I notice the growth in a matter of days. :confused:

I haven't noticed a difference in growth rate since wearing my hair up (in fact, I seem to have hit a bit of a stall). I think I just notice the growth more on the rare occasions I remember to check the length.

It probably varies with everyone :)

I notice my hair is in better shape when I keep it up more than leave it down, but that's because it doesn't get as much of a chance to get into trouble than when I keep it down. :)
I haven't trimmed it in quite a while now, and it's doing really well since I've been wearing it up every day for the last month and a half or so. I haven't had tangles or anything like that.

~maborosi~

My hair also does a lot better when I put it up and forget about it. :)

Sillage
December 2nd, 2012, 03:44 PM
I haven't noticed a difference in growth rate since wearing my hair up

Same here :)