PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if your hair needs protein or not?

DarleneH
November 28th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Is there any way to tell by the look or feel of your hair if protein is what it needs? If your hair does NOT need it and you try coconut oil (or any of the proteiny conditioners) on it, can that damage it irreparably?

neko_kawaii
November 28th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Unfortunately the articles are not yet available (server upgrade issues) or I would just find the link to the appropriate article. Here is a good synopsis: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49077&p=1111893&viewfull=1#post1111893

I think if you did too much protein, your hair would let you know by acting abnormally and moisturizing treatment(s) should fix the problem. So I don't think you can do irreparable damage from too much protein provided you realize that is your problem and moisturize.

Hope that helps.

fairview
November 28th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Hair that is porous is missing 'chunks' of protein typically at the ends. You can determine if your hair is porous by either running your thumb and forefinger from the end of individual hair strands back to your scalp. If it feels rough then your hair is porous and could use a protein treatment. Other than trimming the damaged ends off, there is no permanent repair treatment available. Depending on the quality of the treatment they will last anywhere between 4-6 weeks.

jojo
November 29th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Dry hair that doesnt stretch much before snapping needs moisture, mushy hair that feels like wet moss and stretches lots needs protein!
For the record coconut oil is not a protein treatment it works by penetrating the hair shaft and preventing protein loss from hair.

Also try not to go overboard with protein unless your hair really loves it and always finish with a moisture treatment. Protein treatments if over done can dry the hair out somewhat. Damaged hair as a rule normally craves more protein but its all abput finding a happy medium for your own hairs needs.

I think if you was to really over do protein treatments eventually it would cause damage due to drying and causing the hair to break and split, then only scissors will get rid of them.