PDA

View Full Version : Layers with minds of their own

Oberon88
August 23rd, 2008, 03:37 PM
Lately when I wear my hair down the shortest layers are super frizzy and flyaway towards the ends. My longest layers are sleek and do what I want them to do, but the top layers are ridiculous and stick out, resulting in my looking like I have recently been electrocuted :flamed:. These short layers are BSL to just above BSL in the back and APL in the front. (Once upon a time it was a very sculpted shoulder length haircut :rolleyes:)
Is there any way to fix this? I usually CO and have just started using coconut oil.
Any ideas would be fantastic.

Tangles
August 23rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Oh man I have the same issue, only my shortest parts are collarbone length and my longest near-APL. It defies logic, since you would think the shorter pieces have been trimmed more recently thus shouldn't be as damaged?? I see you are a curly, can't you try finger-spiraling your shorter layers with product? I'm also planning to do an SMT soon and see if that helps. ;)

Oberon88
August 23rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Haha I've tried that before. My hair can be so ridiculous, when it was shorter it was an unruly cloud of fluff on my head (It was like constantly living underneath a very angry cat)

I thought it would get better as it got longer, but I cant get my head around the short layers....

ZaBasDa
August 23rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
(It was like constantly living underneath a very angry cat)

:laugh: Although I know exactly what you mean. My hair was always like that at the shorter lengths.

I say try keeping it more moisturized and perhaps using more oil on those bits.

manderly
August 23rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Try something heavier. My damaged canopy (not quite shoulder length) likes to sit straighter and look fried on top of the rest of my hair that loves to wave up. Looks like a mess to me.

Using a heavier hand with your oils and butters on those bits gets them to play nicely with the rest of your normal hair.

I've found that kimo's recipe works very nicely (and don't be afraid of a heavy hand!)

1 part jojoba
1 part shea
1 part avg

Melt & mix. It gels up when it cools. I dab this on after I wash, then dab on more when my hair dries and my layers disobey.

terriej
August 23rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
I wish that I could tell you that once it grows out, it gets better. My longest layer is at waist and the shorter layers are disobedient as ever. I keep the poof in check with aloe vera gel. Also a combo of aloe vera gel and smidge of coconut oil works well.

Katze
August 25th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I wish that I could tell you that once it grows out, it gets better. ... I keep the poof in check with aloe vera gel. Also a combo of aloe vera gel and smidge of coconut oil works well.

Mine is still messy, too, even though my shorter layers are catching up with the longer ones.

Aloe *gel* is the stuff that has glycerin in it. Don't make the same mistake I did and used '100% pure aloe' because it won't hold, and you'll think you are going crazy. 97% aloe with no additives other than glycerin (to make it into a gel!) works well.

I also mix some leave-in (Goth Rosary) with hair gel and smooth it over the frizzy bits at the bottom, but use JUST hair gel or aloe gel for the top frizzies as they get weighed down too easily.

Curlsgirl
August 25th, 2008, 06:44 AM
My layers were always like that no matter what length. That is why I grew them out. I am SO much happier not having those shorter crazy ends now all through my hair! :bow:

trixiebelle
August 25th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I had that problem until I began drying my hair in a bun. I don't know why or how it works but it did.