PDA

View Full Version : ok for all the straight hairs

plainjanegirl
August 23rd, 2008, 03:23 PM
Please share advice andtips on what works for your hair. Do you get frizz/flyaways and what helps? Do you fight dryness? At this point I am very frustrated with my hair (if you are interested with what is going on check out my blog). So I need all tips and advice please!!

Laululintu
August 23rd, 2008, 03:28 PM
I have to deal with frizz right after washing, but I find that unless I use a shampoo that strips my hair, a touch of aloe gel is enough to fight the frizz near my scalp. I use some form of leave-in (can range from anything between aloe gel and oil, to shop bought cone-free styling balms for when I need to look good with my hair down) on the length and ends, and this in turn really helps both the poofiness and dryness I sometimes get.

Hope that helps :flower:

Katahdin
August 23rd, 2008, 04:30 PM
I find I ALWAYS have a few frizzies, even if I straighten my hair. Using oil helps a lot, I usually put a drop or two in my hands and smooth over my whole hair then put it up and smooth a bit more over my bun/braid/whatever. I also second aloe vera gel. :)

For dryness, I just put it up when it's damp. I don't really have a problem with dry hair, so I'm not much help there. Sorry!:(

Angellen
August 23rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Coconut or Jojoba oil. I use coconut oil more often, and it really helps calm my hair. I definitely recommend it. I used to have a problem with dryness and "foofy" hair, but adding some oil to my routine has really helped. Also, not washing the length (just the scalp) has made a huge difference in the quality of my ends.

HTH

GoldLady
August 23rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
I have found since my hair has gotten drier due to meds, it can tolerate (and needs) oils. I have had really good luck with Brazil Nut oil (silk and shine) and Monoi oil (same as coconut). I can mix those two together in a 60/40'ish ratio and put a fingernail's worth of Cupuacu butter (great at retaining water)in and mix in a small bottle. Works great; I just use a drop or so on my finger, rub my hands together and apply to damp ends moving upward.

I don't have luck putting aloe vera gel on my ends; it has always made them crunchy and causes knots or breakage. :rolleyes: I can mix it successfully in my scalp oil mixtures though. YMMV.

Darian Moone
August 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Honey helps me combat dryness. I've found that it really adds moisture. I get the kind of frizzy look when it's first drying but I've found that just a bit of coconut oil in my hair while still moist helps keep that to a minimum.

justgreen
August 23rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Cold water rinsing has helped me the most, along with a final rinse of distilled water which keeps the minerals from adhering to hair as the water evaporates. I second the honey.

AnneAdeline
August 23rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
I use Jojoba oil on my hair. Just on my length, though, not my scalp.
I get frizzies near my scalp when my hair is freshly washed. Combing or a boar bristle brush helps cut down on those. (And good old-fashioned dirty/oily hair. ;) )

cani
August 24th, 2008, 06:18 AM
i have frizz too :(
itīs bad right after washing and horrible when itīs raining...
i also use oil and it helps, but iīm still searching for a miracle cure...

bunnii
August 24th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I use EVOO, it gets rid of frizz for me and it makes it shiney so thats always a bonus :D

Juanita
August 24th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Coconut oil, shea butter smoothed on the dryness plus my BBB but I still have the frizys in this ultra dry time of the year. Roll on the wet season

FrannyG
August 24th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I have pinstraight hair, and yes, I have to fight both dryness and flyaways.

Here are the best things that have worked for me:
A deep coconut oil soak for at least 30 minutes before washing my hair, when possible.
CO washing--I've been doing this for two years and have never looked back
A mild ACV rinse as a final rinse after a wash. I don't rinse it out.
2-3 drops of olive or jojoba oil from the ears down after a wash.
A tiny trim every 2-3 months to keep ends evenI hope I've been of some help. :)

MeMyselfandI
August 24th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Please share advice andtips on what works for your hair. Do you get frizz/flyaways and what helps? Do you fight dryness? At this point I am very frustrated with my hair (if you are interested with what is going on check out my blog). So I need all tips and advice please!!

Welcome to LHC,

Hugs. By reading the articles and threads you will soon learn what works for you.

From your blog, I wanted to respond that I read that some people reported that the Sauve Strawberry conditioner in SMT caused a waxy feeling.

The only way, I can completely get rid of flyaways is to have heavy greasy hair. Not what I want. If I use a light conditoner, my hair does have some flyaways and feels a bit dryer. So I deal with some flyaways. I am still looking for a balance.

I think a heavy moisture condtioner helps with this.

For a start, I would suggest, using neutrogena clarifying shampoo to get what ever is on your hair off now. I think that well give you a clean slate to work with.

I like glycerin even in my shampoo. I feel it helps keep the hair from being to tangled.

I would suggest try SMT with different conditoners.

Honey and conditioner is a good moisturizer.

I usally have an oily scalp, but have learned not to use an oily shampoo, they made the rest of my hair dryer.

I do coconut oil my dryer ends. (Wet hair, apply oil, let sit for a couple of hours. Apply SMT on all of hair for a couple of hours then wash hair out.

My ends are dryer and tangle more easily, I am slowly trimming them out. In the mean time, I pamper them.

After washing and condtioning, I rinse my hair with white vinegar (1 teaspoon to one cup water). I rinse this out as well.

I do not like cones, yet I do like how the neutrogena Triple moisture conditioner makes my hair feel very very soft and no flyaways.

plainjanegirl
August 24th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Thank you for everybody's advice. If only I can fix this hair problem so I can continue happily growing.

MeMyselfandI
August 24th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I could not figure out from your blog, if something recently happened to make you unhappy with your hair, if yes, read this article as well:

Did your hair have a mutiny? It might be a protein disaster. How to tell, and how to restore your locks. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=17

MeMyselfandI
August 24th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Thank you for everybody's advice. If only I can fix this hair problem so I can continue happily growing.

In my mind hair is in a constant state of flux.

I am positive you will find the problem and fix it. I just want to prepare you that, the solution may not always work for you. The best advice I can give you is to learn to understand your hair. With time, you will learn what your hair likes and does not like. Eventually you will learn to prevent problems, instead of reacting to problems.

Ask questions, read posts and articles, they will give you a good understanding of hair basics and what clues to look for with your own hair.

Even when I had not touched my hair with dyes, perms, heat stuff, there were times that it would feel different. Either to oily, dry etc. I think my hair reacted to humidity, dryness, hormones, stress, cold weather, hot weather, swimming pools etc. I think understanding how my hair behaved, made the constant changes very managable by slight changes in routines or products used. I do not think I have ever constantly used the same thing. It did not bother me. I wanted long hair, and I learned how to handle my long hair so it stayed clean and healthy.

Now I need to relearn my hair's likes and dislikes again after major damage to my hair from chemical dyes and bleaching. For me, this is a totally new game. I have learned a lot by reading articles and posts. Now I am in the very early learning phase of what my hair likes and does not like once again.

Luckly I found the LHC. I love reading the articles. I am learning why things behave differently. Before, I new that my hair liked something or did not, now I am getting a better understanding of keeping long hair beautiful and healthy. I love using natural products. Much less expensive yet I feel they work so much better. I like making my own supplies.

plainjanegirl
August 24th, 2008, 11:51 AM
In my mind hair is in a constant state of flux.

I am positive you will find the problem and fix it. I just want to prepare you that, the solution may not always work for you. The best advice I can give you is to learn to understand your hair. With time, you will learn what your hair likes and does not like. Eventually you will learn to prevent problems, instead of reacting to problems.

Ask questions, read posts and articles, they will give you a good understanding of hair basics and what clues to look for with your own hair.

Even when I had not touched my hair with dyes, perms, heat stuff, there were times that it would feel different. Either to oily, dry etc. I think my hair reacted to humidity, dryness, hormones, stress, cold weather, hot weather, swimming pools etc. I think understanding how my hair behaved, made the constant changes very managable by slight changes in routines or products used. I do not think I have ever constantly used the same thing. It did not bother me. I wanted long hair, and I learned how to handle my long hair so it stayed clean and healthy.

Now I need to relearn my hair's likes and dislikes again after major damage to my hair from chemical dyes and bleaching. For me, this is a totally new game. I have learned a lot by reading articles and posts. Now I am in the very early learning phase of what my hair likes and does not like once again.

Luckly I found the LHC. I love reading the articles. I am learning why things behave differently. Before, I new that my hair liked something or did not, now I am getting a better understanding of keeping long hair beautiful and healthy. I love using natural products. Much less expensive yet I feel they work so much better. I like making my own supplies.

See I am the opposite I like the convenienve of being able to buy a commercial pre made product (sorry nothing against the natural users). It's just quicker and easier for me.
It would be a nice dream to someday be able to know how my hair is and prevent problems from arising.

MeMyselfandI
August 24th, 2008, 12:01 PM
See I am the opposite I like the convenienve of being able to buy a commercial pre made product (sorry nothing against the natural users). It's just quicker and easier for me.
It would be a nice dream to someday be able to know how my hair is and prevent problems from arising.

Think positive, you will learn what ingredients your hair likes and does not like. Then you will learn to avoid those ingredients.

You do not need to go natural or even make products from store bought products. I use shampoos and conditioners that have chemicals in them. I would not dream of avoiding chemicals. I happen to use some vegan shampoos and conditioners, just because when I went to the hair store asking for something for my damaged hair from the dyes and before I discovered LHC, told me to try ABBA. I really like their products on my hair. I am more picky, because I found some of my old favorite shampoos, now since henna leave my hair feeling crunchy. I still use neutrogena or other shampoos and conditioners. I would like to find a good shampoo bar, because I think it will be easier for travel.

The only reason I tryed SMT was because I could make it for less money then buying more expensive conditoners. my hair was in bad shape and I was willing to try anything at that point. I quickly learned that some things my hair likes costs less. I am all for that.

chotee
August 24th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I have straight hair and like all other hair types the more care the better it looks. Frizz is the main worry for straight hair i guess. Especially the older i got, the worser is gets. To keep them in bay, i use a lot of oil and it has really helped me. Just plain old coconut oil does wonders. I think for straight hair, the usage of mild cleansers work better. I always dilute my shampoos and condish with water before using them. The lesser the better.

I have seen, egg masks and henna masks does wonders for my hair.

all the best,

chotee

wintersun99
August 24th, 2008, 07:25 PM

Indigo Girl
August 24th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Jojoba oil and ACV cold water rinses have made a tremendous impact reducing my flyaways. :bluesmile

mellie
August 24th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I just tried a marshmallow herbal rinse today (1 T marshmallow root steeped in 4 c. water till cool, then add 1 T fresh lemon juice). It worked really nicely to take care of some dryness and frizziness, better than any conditioner I've ever tried! Here's a photo:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1454&pictureid=19483

freznow
August 24th, 2008, 08:28 PM
My hair changes in what it wants over time. Recently, my hair has responded well to misting with Kimberly's Defrizz spray (water, oil, aloe). ACV rinses are always helpful, and sometimes straight oil is what it wants. In winter it appreciates honey.

Cinnamon.locks
August 25th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Plainjanegirl; I understand your frustration, i haven't suffered from it in a few months but i understand. do you use conditioner? what type/name of product? do you use any leave in? do you mix oils alot? is your hair acting dry? or tangly? do you clarify? how often?

What saved my hair and has kept it soft, shiny and behaving as it should be has been using L'oreal's nature therapy mega moisture treatment condish. i find it at Sally's and it works great for my hair, it does not weight it down and helps with flyaways and dryness.

Also SMT's for me are good, but i cannot use any products that do not have cones in them, if i do my hair rebels. i guess it needs cones to behave and be happy. i use Suave's aloe and waterlilly poo and have found that Herbal Essences hello hydration poo and condish works great for my hair.

In the last 3 weeks i started using Kimo's shea, aloe and oil mix and i am extatic with the results! it is soft, shiny and very well behaved. I braid daily and nightly and smooth a pea sized glob of Kimo's shea, aloe and oil mix on my dry hair after brushing with my BBB and on the ends once it's braided.

After washing and conditioning ( put aside the CO for the next 2 weeks to let it rest and show how it behaves with Kimo's mix.) anyway, after poo i wring the hair softly to take most of the water out of the hair and then smooth a heavy condish like Suave's Humectant ( I use a mix of Suave's professionals Humectant, Xtreme Strength and BioBasics condish. mix them in a large bottle and use as often as needed.) my hair absorbs the condish better with less water in it and also helps since i leave the condish on for at least 6 minutes before rinsing. then i towel dry the hair softly and then comb wet to detangle, after that i part my hair in half and put a dime sized glod of Kimo's shea butter, aloe and oil mix on each half of my hair concentrating on the ends, spread the rest up from ends to scalp and comb again to distribute better and take any tangles out and i bun wet for at least 4 hours then let it down and allow it to air dry. my hair has felt wonderful since i started using this recipe. i highly recommend.

The mix also makes my skin soft and supple and has helped me with the wrinkles around my eyes. Kimo's mix is absolutely a god-sent gift and it's natural. I use a chrome oil mix ( a mix of several oils made specially for skin and hair.)

I read your blog and could not trully understand what happened to your hair. you changed poo's right? and conditioner? I hope your hair behaves better and feels better soon. also i bun, basic bee-butt bun with a cotton headband or scrunchie, i also use a knitted hair scrunchie ( the types ballerinas use.) and it has helped alot. other ideas for hairstyles are braided bun, 2 braids ( heidi style ) high ponytail braided bun, loose with two tiny braids on each side ( which you can pull back and use a barrette to hold them. or leave them loose.) french braid ( which i never learned to do.) you can also do intricate buns like the 18th. and 19th. century style buns like Anne of Avonlea's bun, Jane Eyre's bun, etc. just look around and you'll find many great styles.

HTH. anything you need just PM me.

Elainehali
August 26th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I use kids detangling spray to add just enough weight to keep from getting fly aways. (but it doesn't make the hairs clump together or look greasy)

Eirinn
September 25th, 2008, 06:11 AM
ACV rinses and cones, cones and more cones and coney serum and coney condish:D

Anje
September 25th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I'm not quite as straight-haired as most of your replies, and it takes a little more to calm 1c/2a frizz... Heavier oils (like olive) work well, but the best things I've found are sebum (yeah, not washing as much helps a lot, but might not be what you're looking for) and Fox's shea butter conditioning cream. SBCC smoothes out the frizz for me like nothing else, but you have to give it some time to dry. You can find it in the recipes section.

mellie
September 25th, 2008, 06:29 AM
One more thing that I thought of - I always let my hair air dry, and don't do anything at all to help it dry besides a tiny bit of towel blotting.

soprano
September 25th, 2008, 08:20 AM

Hang out around these forums for a while - you'll start absorbing the information you want! I think that most of us here use conventional products; I certainly feel that washing my hair is already enough of a chore already without fussing around doctoring the ingredients first.

It would be helpful to have a little more information about your current and past hair care regimens - a quick scan of your blog did not reveal this to me. Have you ever used heat tools, such as a blow dryer or a curling iron, on a regular basis? Have you ever (not just recently) had any chemical processing done, such as color, highlighting, or a perm? Do you brush your hair? What kind of brush do you use? How do you detangle?

To my knowledge, really straight hair does not tend to be dry or frizzy on its own unless it has accumulated some damage - and most of us have at least a little damage. Hence, my questions concerning your current and past hair care.

Would you be willing to consider that your hair might be naturally more curly than you think? Curly hair does tend to be more dry and frizzy; whenever I hear that a woman with "straight" hair is combating frizz, I always wonder if she has more natural wave than she realizes - I know more than a few women who grew up thinking that they had straight, yet frizzy, hair, but later discovered lovely curls! Would you consider taking up a more curly-oriented regimen for a few weeks, and see what happens?

Someone already suggested doing an ACV rinse, and I agree that this is well worth trying. If you run a search on "ACV rinse" or something similar, you'll turn up tons of info.

Good luck!

ETA: On flyaways - I've accepted that flyaways are a property of really clean hair. I can either weight them down with a heavy conditioner or oil, and then have to wash again sooner, or I can accept that they will be around for a day or so after washing and make my peace with them. It's fun to walk around with super-clean, silky, shiny hair! I spin (with a spinning wheel) and the short, silky flyaways are very much like short silk fibers, which also like to float around uncontrollably. They settle down all on their own the next day.

plainjanegirl
September 25th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Hang out around these forums for a while - you'll start absorbing the information you want! I think that most of us here use conventional products; I certainly feel that washing my hair is already enough of a chore already without fussing around doctoring the ingredients first.

It would be helpful to have a little more information about your current and past hair care regimens - a quick scan of your blog did not reveal this to me. Have you ever used heat tools, such as a blow dryer or a curling iron, on a regular basis? Have you ever (not just recently) had any chemical processing done, such as color, highlighting, or a perm? Do you brush your hair? What kind of brush do you use? How do you detangle?

To my knowledge, really straight hair does not tend to be dry or frizzy on its own unless it has accumulated some damage - and most of us have at least a little damage. Hence, my questions concerning your current and past hair care.

Would you be willing to consider that your hair might be naturally more curly than you think? Curly hair does tend to be more dry and frizzy; whenever I hear that a woman with "straight" hair is combating frizz, I always wonder if she has more natural wave than she realizes - I know more than a few women who grew up thinking that they had straight, yet frizzy, hair, but later discovered lovely curls! Would you consider taking up a more curly-oriented regimen for a few weeks, and see what happens?

Someone already suggested doing an ACV rinse, and I agree that this is well worth trying. If you run a search on "ACV rinse" or something similar, you'll turn up tons of info.

Good luck!

ETA: On flyaways - I've accepted that flyaways are a property of really clean hair. I can either weight them down with a heavy conditioner or oil, and then have to wash again sooner, or I can accept that they will be around for a day or so after washing and make my peace with them. It's fun to walk around with super-clean, silky, shiny hair! I spin (with a spinning wheel) and the short, silky flyaways are very much like short silk fibers, which also like to float around uncontrollably. They settle down all on their own the next day.

Let's see I will try to give you more info. Yes my hair has been previously chemically treated. I have had 2 perms and alot of colorings. I used to flat iron alot and blow dry some. I have not used a blow dryer for a long time ( over a year) and the flat iron I have not used for several months now.
You asked if I would be willing to try a more curly routine for a few weeks, but what exactly would that consist of??? I do not think I am a curly ...my little sis is a curly and my hair is nothing like hers.

melikai
September 25th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I've found that since stopping using 'cones, that my hair is more frizzy right after washing, while it dries. But it's fine - once it dries and I comb it out it's better.
I really love camellia oil - all others are far too heavy for my hair. I use 2 drops on my length only, when it's dry or mostly dry.

starfire
September 25th, 2008, 01:46 PM
My hair used to be foofy... I'd use heavy heavy conditioners to try and weigh it down. "Dirty" hair laid flatter too so I stretched washings (also because I'm lazy).

Then I hennaed. And now my hair is just smoother. I shampoo, rarely condition, and on most days my hair lays correctly.

For shine, I like ACV rinses.

I had good results with SMT, but I'm too lazy to mix it up and do it :P

Jeni
September 25th, 2008, 08:24 PM
My hair doesn't really frizz, I do get fly aways though.

I have to CWC daily (if I want to go out in public). I use (at the moment, I have product ADD) Dove Daily Moisture conditioner, Tresemme Anti-Break poo and Suave's Biobasics conditioner. I was using leave-in cream (fructis or Aussie) and Aussie detangling spray, but since my last cassia/henna, I havent really needed them. I may start again in the winter though. I am using a homemade spray of water, EVOO and scent which seems to tone down the fly aways.

I have been using cassia since March and have just recently started adding henna to it, it has made my hair so much better! If you don't want any red you could try just cassia, the dye only shows up on very light hair. It was barely noticeable on my ash blond hair (1st pic in my sig), gave it a very slight golden tone.

SMTs are awesome, I use Aussie 3MM, honey, EVOO and Coconut oil (my hair doesn't seem to like aloe).