PDA

View Full Version : Outgrew my measuring tape, anyone know where I can find a longer one?!

Savvyhorsez
November 27th, 2012, 05:17 AM
So just as the title says, I need a longer than 60 inch measuring tape, and was wondering if anyone could please tell me where they got theirs, I'd like one probably about 80 inches long. Thanks!

WaitingSoLong
November 27th, 2012, 05:50 AM
I think you will have to make one. But as a suggestion, I dedicated a wall in my closet to making marks where certain lengths are. I marked my height/top of my head then made various marks down the wall at hallmark places, like Classic and such. You can use the wall to measure instead of a tape, using a regular measuring tape to mark the wall since they are longer. Did that make sense?

Alas, not everyone is willing to mark up their wall like I did LOL. Of course once you get past floor length this does you no good.

Rhodugune
November 27th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Well I don't need one that long yet, but I have used two measuringtapes taped together to measure my horses tummy, to see if she is loosing wieght as she should... so that might work until you find a longer one. :)

metricfuture
November 27th, 2012, 06:01 AM
What you're looking for is called a quilter's measuring tape (usually in the neighborhood of 120 inches). Should be available online and most big craft stores. HTH.

WaitingSoLong
November 27th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Rhodugune had a good point, they make much longer ones for measuring horses! But they usually have weight marks on them as well.

sakuraemily
November 27th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Waitingsolong's wall idea is good. Do you mean you've outgrown those tailoring tapes? thats' amazing!
You also get those architects' tapes that go around 5-6 metres...

LadyLongLocks
November 27th, 2012, 07:25 AM
I also outgrew my 60" measuring tape! I got a longer one at Walmart in the sewing section.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/LHC%20Forum%20pix%20for%20linking/longertapemeasure.jpg

LadyLongLocks
November 27th, 2012, 07:43 AM
You could cut the 120" one to 80" to get rid of the bulk of the remaining 40".
I don't need all that length. I am at my goal and wont need a tape longer than 70".:D

W2
November 27th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Oh I'm amazed! My measuring tape is way longer than I am tall.

Shepherdess
November 27th, 2012, 10:28 AM
So just as the title says, I need a longer than 60 inch measuring tape, and was wondering if anyone could please tell me where they got theirs, I'd like one probably about 80 inches long. Thanks!

Oh, congratulations on growing your hair out that long! :cheer:

I also outgrew my 60" measuring tape! I got a longer one at Walmart in the sewing section.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/LHC%20Forum%20pix%20for%20linking/longertapemeasure.jpg

Oh, I would like one of those! I should start quilting again anyway, so I will likely need one that length! Next time I go to wal-mart I'll look.:)

melusine963
November 27th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Good grief, I can't imagine ever being able to outgrow mine. Talk about a fantastic milestone! :)

Savvyhorsez
November 27th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Thank you all so much for your suggestions and congratulations! I have horses, have a height/weight tape, and didn't think of it lol!

WaitingSoLong
November 27th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Isn't it awesome when you find out you already have what you need? It's like finding a $20 in your pants next time you wear them.

Natalia
November 27th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Wow congrats! We have one that was my grandmothers that a doozie but the newer ones we bought are all 60's i bet you would havebetter luck at an industrial sewing shop or a leather goods store. Both you should be able to find online heck evene a tack shop that sells feed and saddles might have one.

trolleypup
November 28th, 2012, 12:06 AM
So far, I'm only an inch or so past the end of mine, so I have time to find a new cloth tape. In the meantime, I can use one of my skinny el cheapo carpenter's tapes: 72".

Also, if you have non-stretchy string around the house, you can use that, then measure the string.

JamieLeigh
November 28th, 2012, 05:16 AM
WOW!! I can't imagine being past the end of my tape measure. I got within 4" of the end of mine in January, and I didn't even think anything of it. That's an awesome milestone, savvyhorsez!

Savvyhorsez
November 28th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! Indeed it is WaitingSoLong! Thanks Natalia and JamieLeigh!

WaitingSoLong
November 28th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Trolleypup I forgot about the whole string idea. I quite often miss the obvious.

I doubt I will ever out grow my tape, I think my term length would never let me plus I can hardly stand it at Classic so...

neko_kawaii
November 28th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I love the idea of outgrowing a measuring tape! Congratulations.

Savvyhorsez
November 28th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks Neko_Kawaii! :)

Kalamazoo
October 15th, 2018, 03:44 AM
I found a 96" tape measure last night in the sewing section at Food Town (a grocery store chain). Not that I actually need it, but I've never seen a tailor/seamstress' tape measure longer than 60" before, & figured I'd better get one while I had the chance, just in case...:rolleyes:

lakhesis
October 15th, 2018, 04:17 AM
I have a sewing one that is 120'' (or 300cm), I got it from aliexpress (not originally for hair). I don't think I will ever need a longer one :D

Ligeia Noire
October 15th, 2018, 06:19 AM
Interesting. Was just thinking about that yesterday as I asked my husband to measure my hair and I am officially at 60 inches when wet. Have to see if Joann's has a longer measuring tape.

MusicalSpoons
October 15th, 2018, 02:22 PM
What an awesome problem to have! I don't know if my hair can grow that long but if it can, it will be at least 2 years before outgrowing it (microtrimming for a while when I get to knee), and there's a few inches spare on the end of mine that I could mark up anyway. Great to know there are longer ones sold for sewing though, I didn't know that. The longest tape measure I've encountered was a surveyor's tape, 5m long (and a bit grubby). My genes certainly won't let me grow that long! :laugh:

Jo Ann
October 15th, 2018, 10:05 PM
I use steel measuring tapes, like carpenters use.

I have a 10-foot one and a 25-foot one--got them at Home Depot. :p

Hey, they work for me! :shrug:

Ligeia Noire
October 16th, 2018, 06:01 AM
Hey they might even be easier to use alone.

MusicalSpoons
October 16th, 2018, 06:10 AM
I've tried the steel tapes, before I bought my own tailor's tape, and found them really difficult - they need force on the end to make them unroll from the casing, and I couldn't use them the other way (pushing the end down to the ends of my hair) because I couldn't see properly, and couldn't get it to curve round my head properly either. (As I type, I'm aware we may be talking about slightly different styles of steel carpenter's tape?) With my tailor's tape, I weight it at the end with a bulldog clip; I have also used a mini flexi over the top of the clip if I want it to be really heavy. The weight pulls it straight down so I can get an accurate reading.

SnailFarts
October 16th, 2018, 11:41 AM
I never would have thought of putting a weight on the bottom of the tape, @musicalspoons. What a great idea!

Ligeia Noire
October 16th, 2018, 08:23 PM
Just found a 120 in too, a great one at my local hardware store, so happy!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33720&d=1539742279

Jo Ann
October 16th, 2018, 11:17 PM
My 10-ft measuring tape is similar to this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-PowerLock-12-ft-x-3-4-in-Tape-Measure-33-312L/100123236?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-304268443-_-100123236-_-N

I just pull out about four feet (my hair is about 38 inches long), swing the tape behind me and place the front piece thingy at my hairline and measure :shrug: I have no problem having the tape follow the curve of my head.

MusicalSpoons
October 17th, 2018, 04:19 AM
My 10-ft measuring tape is similar to this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-PowerLock-12-ft-x-3-4-in-Tape-Measure-33-312L/100123236?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-304268443-_-100123236-_-N

I just pull out about four feet (my hair is about 38 inches long), swing the tape behind me and place the front piece thingy at my hairline and measure :shrug: I have no problem having the tape follow the curve of my head.

Oh we are talking and the same kind of thing - I'd never thought of actually pulling the length out first though :doh: good to know!

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 22nd, 2018, 11:02 PM
I also have now outgrown my measuring tape!
It’s about 32” and I am at 30” so I have this year with it and then I’ll have to get a longer one.
I never thought I would get to this point, took forever though because my hair keeps breaking off lol