PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion?

tweetylonghair
November 26th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I am getting tired of all the comments: You color your hair,what are you insecure about? or Your growing way to long for todays looks? You know you bleach and color so much its just gonna fall out? Thought I would post some of the ones I get.. However I also have my immediate family and a 2 friends that say if you cut it I WILL kick your butt and not talk to you for awhile.........What's your opinion/thoughts?

blaketob
November 26th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Well I don't have much experience since I don't color my hair. But I do get the "are you insecure" question whenever I tell people that I want to grow my hair really long. I don't think long hair should have anything to do with ones security or not. Do what makes you happy. How do you feel about having your hair long? If you like it then who cares if you get the comments, you just have to learn to shrug them off :)

Madora
November 26th, 2012, 09:20 AM
You're an adult and you can do as you please with your hair. Simple as that.

As for the "insecure" nonsense, well, since many people, of all ages, color their hair, there must be a lot of "insecure" folks on this planet!!!

Wear your hair proudly and forget about the naysayers!

capnjackfan
November 26th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Don't listen to em, colour your hair how you want, grow it how you want, and enjoy life.

getoffmyskittle
Nobody has said this to me in such a long time. :D Or if they do any more, I don't even register/remember it. Long hair (although mine is no longer "really long" by LHC standards, it still is in the general world) is just part of who I am and people seem to get that. I used to get these comments a lot when I first started growing it, though. I wonder if, the longer you have it, the more confident and sure you seem and the less people feel interested in disturbing that?

lunardaydreamer
It doesn't surprise me that people violate others' boundaries about their hair/body choices. It think I get more questions like this in regards to my tattoos, like "Oh you're such a pretty girl, what ever will you do on your wedding day!? What does your boyfriend think" Uh, get married happily and he has tattoos as well. I get a lot of "Leave your hair alone, stop coloring it what are you hiding" type comments or "What's wrong with you? There must be something you're compensating for because you change your color". Really? Just like to change it up :) and I haven't had any comments about the length and how long I want to grow my hair yet because my hair is still at shoulder length!

SerinaDaith
November 26th, 2012, 09:28 AM
My go to answer has become, I am not doing this for you I am doing it for me. This answer applies to everything from hair growth, dye or no dye, working out and going back to school. Then again I have a serious give a darn issue when it comes to other peoples opinions.

melusine963
November 26th, 2012, 09:40 AM
"People who dye their hair blonde are secretly depressed". Urgh.

Egana
November 26th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Anytime someone deviates form the establish norm, it stands out. The question is have we lost so much of our social politeness that we feel the freedom to chide each other over it? I love all the different lengths and styles and colors and textures of hair there is in the world. Bring on the bonanza, I say!

neko_kawaii
November 26th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I thought it was your hair, not theirs.

kurlywurlygurl
November 26th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I say screw everybody. Its your hair, your dead skin cells, your sebum, and your freaking scalp. You can dye it, grow it, cut it, shave it,brush it, or just leave it. What exactly is the "hair of today" anyway?:rant: I mean there's people with undercuts, bald people, outgrown roots (lol jk ombred people), and one of my best friends bleaches her hair and it a different color every week! Her hair is just fine, and I think she takes better care of it than some of the other people out there. Personally I don't bleach my hair at all or color it (did a few times with some demi-permanents) but that's just because of my own hair woes. The people that tell you it s gonna fall out and what not are just losers who have to say that to you because they don't have the balls to do stuff to their own hair and are jealous because you can still grow it :wigtongue. You mentioned that some your friends say they probaly wouldn't talk to you for a while, and you no what maybe I wouldn't either lol haha. But that's because you have awesome hair! Keep growing to your heart's delight, and if your done than so be it. Just remember its your hair :bow:.

AutumnLocks
November 26th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Any time there is something different about a person whether it is eye color, skin color, the size of the person, how tall or short they are and the length and color of their hair.....some people think that makes it ok to comment on that thing. For some reason family and close friends seem to think what they say and think matters. Other than myself there is only one other person who's opinon I take into consideration, and that is my husband. Anyone else who wants to make a comment on my appearance? I would invite them to go sit down and shut up! Yea, I'm mouthy like that when it comes to certain things.

DinaAG
November 26th, 2012, 11:58 AM
you are the only one who owns your body do whatever you feel like you would love to see enjoy it and be proud of it ♥

spidermom
November 26th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Nobody ever tells me what I should or should not do with my hair. (my father tried to a couple of times, found out it was without result)

Insecure? Oh yeh - I feel so nicely hidden with my hair pulled back in a bun every day.

Scarlet_Heart
November 26th, 2012, 12:12 PM
People used to give me a hard time about it when I was a kid, but not anymore. I think people just know better. I'm set to have a baby any day now and I've had people asking me for a while now if I plan on cutting my hair when the baby comes, just because a lot of women do. I say no and I don't feel bothered by that question because it seems like a reasonable one to me.

Alex Lou
November 26th, 2012, 01:28 PM
You just can't make people happy. When I dye my hair people tell me to stop because my natural color is so pretty! When I stop dying my hair and grow out my natural, people tell me that I should stop dying my hair because it turns out that they didn't know what my natural color looks like anymore and the natural color they had imagined in their head was better! Some say I look best with short hair, others get mad at me when I cut it. I'm told not to iron it because that damages it, then others ask why I don't iron it: it would look so much better. And most recently, I shouldn't use cinnamon oil because it might hurt my hair.... Best to do what I want to do and make myself happy since I'm not gonna win with everyone else!

spirals
November 26th, 2012, 02:12 PM
No one ever comment on my hair, except to say they'd like my curls. However, my stepmom has said I should dress apropriately for my age--I was wearing jeans and a sheer top, no big deal!--so I know the frustration. But ultimately I remember the compliments and discard the negative comments. No if only I could do that with the character analyses I get at work....

jacqueline101
November 26th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I hear the constant why do you want to grow it so long and fast? My answer is its mine and I can.

noelgirl
November 26th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Comments tying hairstyles to insecurity are pretty ridiculous. The things I'm insecure about are not things that any hairstyle would hide.

shutterpillar
November 27th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I'm surprised at all the comments that say people tell them to stop coloring their hair... all I seem to hear is "when are you going to color your hair again? Your grays are getting really noticeable." And then when I tell them I like the 30 or so grays I have, they look at me like this: :disgust:

Other than that, I dont really get many comments about my hair, or anything else I decide to do with my body. Maybe it has a lot to do with the type of people I chose to be around. In fact, most of the negative comments I receive come from strangers or people I have not seen in many many years.

WaitingSoLong
November 27th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Ok, I may have a different take on this. When I see people changing their appearance so drastically...constantly, I do sometimes wonder what is going on with them. Agreed, it is none of my business, and ultimately, I don't care one bit what they do with their face/hair/clothes/body, but as someone who is resistant to change, I often wonder...why can't you be happy with anything for more than a month?

It can be viewed as a lack of commitment or patience, when people like me/us are committed to longer growth and have to be patient about it. One of the reasons I have not chopped my hair off (yet) is because it would feel like betraying the commitment I have had to it all these years, like it was all for naught. Also because I am leery of the change.

Sometimes I think it is that they have't found "that" hairstyle that suits them best. It CAN take some experimenting to find it, and I am all for experimenting and having fun with appearance, but the people I see doing this are always complaining about their hair like they hate it (and how damaged it is, don't get me started on that) and it really seems like most of them are fishing for attention or compliments and it does come off as being insecure and attention seeking.

No we are not here to judge but I think because a lot of people are going for that "look at me" thing with hair changes that it has somehow become associated with insecurity. Just my :twocents: (thankfully the price of THAT hasn't gone up with inflation ;) )

Alex Lou
November 30th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Ok, I may have a different take on this. When I see people changing their appearance so drastically...constantly, I do sometimes wonder what is going on with them. Maybe I was misinterpreting, but I had assumed OP was fairly consistent with her hair color and length. People do dye their hair the same color for years and make it part of their identity. And since people were complaining about OP's hair being long, I would say she is not changing the length very often.

Piyo
November 30th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I'll never understand why some people feel the need to stick their nose in matters similar to this, especially in negative ways! My mom knows I've been growing my hair out for a couple years, and when I finally saw her in the summer she didn't even compliment my progress, just tried to tell me how I should get it cut. I just laughed at her in my head.

maborosi
November 30th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I get so pissed when people feel like they have to question my choices about coloring my hair. I get so many people who just have to let me know about how they think that girls who color their hair are insecure, or why don't I like my natural color, etc.

It's not about insecurity, it's not about me not liking my natural color, it's because my hair likes henna, and I happen to really like red hair. If henna was completely clear, then I'd still use it and keep my natural color, but I don't like cassia, and I think that the color henna gives me is really cool.

~maborosi~

hairhair
November 30th, 2012, 04:52 PM
As someone currently sitting with (deposit-only) colour on my hair, can I just say that I think you would have to feel quite secure to put on permanent dye? While I was putting on this colour I was reflecting on the fact that, although I like red, I would NOT put on henna or any other permanent colour right now, as I feel that I'm going through a transitional stage and I'm not sure I would like it for long.

My general opinion of this situation is that people read too deeply into many things, thinking that choices about hair dye/make-up/hair length indicate something WAY more significant than they actually do.

Mesmerise
November 30th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I find it weird that people need to comment at all. Fortunately, I don't get many comments on mine really (and I don't discuss it either lol).

I find it weird that people question you colouring your hair though. Around here the vast majority of people colour, and I'd probably get questions if I DIDN'T (ie why am I going grey??? Why don't I colour it???).

If anyone asked why I was growing my hair long, I'd simply answer "because I want it that way".

WaitingSoLong
December 1st, 2012, 06:02 AM
Maybe I was misinterpreting, but I had assumed OP was fairly consistent with her hair color and length. People do dye their hair the same color for years and make it part of their identity. And since people were complaining about OP's hair being long, I would say she is not changing the length very often.

I wasn't referring to he OP?

Lostsoule77
December 1st, 2012, 06:57 AM
I'm flabbergasted that people actually say these things to you! I'm sure there are lots of people who change things about themselves because of insecurities. I don't think anyone has a right to question them on this except, possibly, those who love them and are honestly concerned and trying to be, seriously, helpful. My response would probably be looking them straight in the eyes (preferebly until they look away) and telling them that no, I am not insecure. Not too sure though because I honestly can't picture anyone saying this to me.

As for growing too long for today's look, who gives a rat's butt? We live in 2012, not 1812, and can do whatever we please with OUR bodies. Bleaching and dying, not a problem when you know what your doing. And since they want you to have shorter hair I'd think they wouldn't mind it falling off if you didn't. Grrrr

Sorry, This just got my back hairs up. :justy: :flower:

Tota
December 1st, 2012, 08:41 AM
I never got comments like that because I think almost every girl over 15 is dyeing her hair here (this started to change recently though, I think natural hair is more in trend now).

I got the opposite. When I started to grow out my natural hair my friends thought I was weird for doing it. Why complicate my life with growing out hair when it's so much simpler to just throw a dye over it once a month? One friend said to me that I'll be sorry because I'll soon realize that my natural hair is boring. Many people think that hair is just an accessory and that you can't just leave it grow - you have to be dynamic, you have to change colour and style once in a while just to keep it interesting. Some people change their hairstyles and haircoloures the same way they change their clothing style or the style of their glasses. Just another accessory.

People dye or don't dye their hair for various reasons. My reason is that my hair is too fine and delicate for dyeing. I had to decide between colour and length and I chose length. If my hair could deal with peroxide and be long and healthy at the same time I'd still be a blonde.

I would never dare to tell anyone that they are insecure because of what they do to their hair. It is offensive and mostly not true.

jojo
December 1st, 2012, 12:28 PM
I dont really pay much attention to what others think about my hair. Ive had at least bsl hair most of my life so for me i have it long because its me, i tried short hair and it didnt feel right.
Plus as a 43 year old im big enough to choose how to have my hair..!

HadessThera
December 1st, 2012, 01:37 PM
As someone who is heavily tattooed and pierced not to mention has purple-blue hair at the moment, I get a lot of comments and unnecessary physical contact, most of it is just curiosity but the nasty comments or the "how insecure are you?" comments generally come from people who are wildly insecure themselves. Personally, I think you have to be pretty secure in yourself in order to be comfortable with looking different from what is perceived as "normal" in any sense :)

jojo
December 1st, 2012, 05:27 PM
^^ so very true, inseccure people do tend to show there own insecurities by analysing others descisions instead of solving their own problems. I prefer to call it being individual but if some want to call me insecure, thats fine id rather be an insecure long hair, than a conformist who does what everybody else does because it percieved as the thing to do!