PDA

View Full Version : I would like my hair to cool it with the graying

getoffmyskittle
November 26th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I am 23 and nobody else in my family started graying this early, i.e., this is ridiculous. I am sure it's work-related stress but how do I slow it down (save quitting, because y'know, the cat needs feeding)?

I want to hear anything you've got: folk wisdom, vitamins, EOs, voodoo rituals.

My grandmother told me that using coconut oil every time I wash will keep my hair "soft and black." Since she didn't start to gray until she was almost 60, I'm reinstating my coconut oiling.

spidermom
November 26th, 2012, 08:13 AM
I think I read somewhere that pumpkin seeds contain something that inhibits graying. Or maybe it was some other seed. Or maybe I dreamed the whole thing.

jel
November 26th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I should imagine eating coconut oil would be more useful, with the lauric acid and whatnot. Of course, hair oiling is a good thing for the conditioning benefits, but I'm not sure how it would affect loss of pigment.

Like Spidermom, I vaguely remember reading something about seeds... possibly flax seeds, ground. Eating them!

Juliet's Silk
November 26th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Well, in Japan they say one should eat Hijiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijiki)* to keep black hair, but eh... I don't think there is actually anything you can do to stop the graying. It won't hurt to try (and Hijiki is tasty!), but I wouldn't get my hopes up and rather try to reduce stress levels by learning how to cope with the stress better, which is better for your overall health anyway.
*Might be hard to get it, though. As far is I know, importing it to Germany is forbidden because of some limits imposed regarding arsenic levels and I guess it could be the same for the US.

I'm sporting a grey streak since my last big examination, so all my grey hairs are stress induced as well. But I've earned them - the only thing I don't like is two toned hair, so since I can't reverse the graying I'd now like it to become more silver...

Beatnik Guy
November 26th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Quit working and feed Godric coconuts.

pepperminttea
November 26th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I want to hear anything you've got

Well, since you said that, maybe this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91736&p=2074182#post2074182) would be worth a look? :) I've not tried it yet but it's stuck in my head since I read it.

getoffmyskittle
November 26th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Well, since you said that, maybe this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91736&p=2074182#post2074182) would be worth a look? :) I've not tried it yet but it's stuck in my head since I read it.

Ahh, neat. I could add that to my coconut oil.

I am going to have to eat more flax bread and sushi salad. ;)

Lissandria
November 26th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Apparently some Ayurvedic hair oils applied to the scalp prevent greying. Neeli bringahdi is one ( plus it's great for hair fall ) ;)

Alex Lou
November 26th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I'm doubtful that anything you do will help. But certainly using something topical will not help. Improving your diet, getting exercise every day, and managing your stress have a much better chance of helping.

Roscata
November 26th, 2012, 01:22 PM
In the book called George Micheal's Secrets for Beautiful hair (pg 23-24) he talks about para-aminobenzoic acid (or PABA) from the b group vitamins and how it returned color to white hair in a test group in Russia. He also says the subjects got shinier and healthier hair over all with the b group vitamins. It may be worth looking into.

spirals
November 26th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I wish I had a folk answer. If it were me I would start henna or henndigo glosses. I have a few sparklies, so I haven't gotten to that point yet.

hypersensitive
November 27th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Chinese folk wisdom says to eat lots of food that is black, notably black sesame products!

Fantak
November 28th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Iron deficiency anemia can cause premature graying. My little brother is a terrible eater and he started going gray at 16 and it is probably because he was always anemic. Hair should go back to its original colour once levels return to normal.

Hope that helps :)