PDA

View Full Version : Hair History Article

doodlesmart
March 17th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I found this whilst wandering around the internet today. (warning: site claims to play music, though it doesn't for me, but at work folks might wish to mute their computers just in case.)

http://www.hairarchives.com/private/1920s.htm

I don't know enough history to know exactly how accurate it is, but nothing in it screams terrible to me. It is clearly an interpretation of events, but doesn't seem to be a radical one.

I found it interesting, and so thought I'd share.

loves2spin
March 17th, 2008, 06:01 PM
That is very interesting! I actually have a photo of my mother wearing a do that is just almost exactly like the first one in that article. Thank you for sharing!

ChloeDharma
March 17th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks for that article. I remember hearing i think in a documentary years ago that men thought that women cutting their hair short meant they would become men at the time lol.

I love that flapper girl look, sleek bob, funky elegant clothes, smokey eyes, cigarette holder......even nowdays i still stop to notice a well done bob....i used to love mine years ago.

KateMcC
March 17th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I remember my grandmother telling me about having her hair bobbed in the 1930s. She had been all day canning and her hair kept falling out of her bun. Her sister-in-law grabbed the kitchen shears and bobbed it. My grandmother was in shock and spent the rest of the day crying. When my grandfather came in that night he wouldn't even speak to her. She never did let it grow out again, and they made peace and had a long and lovely marriage.

She was so happy and proud when I started growing mine out.

loves2spin
March 18th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I remember my grandmother telling me about having her hair bobbed in the 1930s. She had been all day canning and her hair kept falling out of her bun. Her sister-in-law grabbed the kitchen shears and bobbed it. My grandmother was in shock and spent the rest of the day crying. When my grandfather came in that night he wouldn't even speak to her. She never did let it grow out again, and they made peace and had a long and lovely marriage.

She was so happy and proud when I started growing mine out.

That is a really sweet story. How nice that your grandmother was happy and proud of you.