PDA

View Full Version : Wavies, When Do You Wash?

Maelyssa
November 25th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Do you wash I the evening then air dry until morning? If so, do you dampen and comb or brush to style in the morning to freshen up the waves or do you damp bun or braid for sleep then release in the morning?

OR do you wait until getting ready in the morning to wash then style?

I find that if I wash at night then let loose to dry I look a bit wild in the morning, if I wash in the morning it's mostly wet all day. I do wear my hair up quite often but would love it to look a bit better when down.

Any help is greatly appreciated in advance!

minxe
November 25th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I wash in the evening. Whether I air dry and then freshen up my waves in the morning or damp bun honestly depends on my mood.

You might want to try air drying, and then scrunching with a wet wash cloth in the mornings. It resets your waves and cuts down on frizz.

Yozhik
November 25th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I wash in the evening and then stick it loose (unbrushed) into my sleeping bonnet. By morning it's mostly dry and I usually have nice waves. :)

Lostsoule77
November 25th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I only wash once a week, on the weekend. So I wash in the morning/early afternoon and let it air dry down or I damp braid it. When I used to wash more often I washed at night during the week and went to bed with wet/damp hair. I would just brush and braid or bun and then go. I didn't realize that wavies shouldn't brush.

I think you're best bet, since you want to be able to wear it down, is to wash at night. Comb it wet, and air dry as long as you can. Then damp braid. In the morning your hair will still be damp. Just unbraid, style a bit, then go. It will air dry during the day and you will have pretty waves, though they won't be your natural waves. I tend to use leave in conditioner to keep it from frizzing. You should use whatever you feel is best and apply it to your wet/damp hair before braiding at night.

dwell_in_safety
November 25th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I wash every 8-10 days at the moment and always at night. This lets me bum around my apartment for several hours while it dries about halfway, then I put some jojoba oil on as a light leave-in and braid+bun for bed. It's always still at least damp by then, if not a little wetter than that. Usually it's still damp when I take it down the next morning and is dry by the next night when I take it down again. I rarely ever see my natural texture. :P

Sarahlabyrinth
November 25th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I wash in the evening, mostly, unless I am dyeing my hair. I wash, then when damp, stroke mineral oil through from ear level down. It is usually still damp when I put it in my sleep cap for bed. It is dry by the morning, usually with a few funny kinks from the cap, so I just lightly spritz with water to bring back my own waves, or to damp bun for the day, whichever I feel like having...

patienceneeded
November 25th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I wash at night and then braid it while wet/damp when I go to bed. It's usually still damp enough in the morning that I end up not needing to do much to get waves. I find my hair curls more if I wash it in the morning and let it air dry completely, I actually wash at night and braid it to help calm my hair down!

Sarahlabyrinth
November 25th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Funny how we all seem to wash in the evening!

Nebulae
November 26th, 2012, 05:57 AM
When I wash depends on when I need to get up in the morning... If I have enough time in the morning I shower in the morning and let it airdry, either just let it be and scrunch during drying or twist it to achieve more wurls than waves if I feel like it. If I don't have as much time in the morning if I work, (or more like, if i don't want to wake up at 5am when I can sleep longer.. the more morning I can avoid the better!) I wash in the evening and braid it over night to get nice waves. In the morning I scrunch some water into my ends to make them wavy again and if needed some product too.

Maybe
November 26th, 2012, 06:18 AM
I wash once a week, in the evening and then braid it into two brendbraids with a parana for sleeping. In the morning it is dry.
So, I never really see my natural.texture. However, its.pretty close to.braidwaves.
The paranda results in.braidwaves right through my ends.

Avital88
November 26th, 2012, 06:47 AM
i wash whenever i have time for it,but at least twice a week. i let it airdry ,if i want to wear it straighter i comb it through while wet, if i want to have it at its best i shouldnt touch it until it is completely dry except putting some oils on the ends..When dry i always brush:cool: i shouldnt but i like to wear it more wavy than curly(im a wurly ;-) )

MrsGuther
November 26th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I wash my hair about every other day. I wash in the evening and let my hair air dry and sometimes it is still damp in the morning. Meh. It's all good. I've got a lot of hair. :)

Ocelan
November 26th, 2012, 07:03 AM
I wash in the evening too and go to bed with damp hair loose without any brushing of combing. The waves are pretty nice in the morning after that, maybe a few kinks here and there and some frizz but they could be set by re-wetting a bit, which I rarely do since I very rarely wear my hair down, especially in the mornings. So I end up just brushing and putting my hair up or braiding it. That's the end of my natural waves until my hair next gets wet.

blaketob
November 26th, 2012, 07:42 AM
I wash in the morning a couple of times a week. I usually wake up and have to re-wet / damp my hair with water because my hair looks like a mess in the morning. I used to wear my hair up and it took all day to dry, now I just wear it down and my hair dries much faster. If you notice that your hair looks puffy or "wild" if you wear it down to air dry, I suggest wearing it down for an hour or so (until it is mostly dry), and then put it up.

Maelyssa
November 26th, 2012, 07:46 AM
The responses are great ladies, I have indeed noticed a trend of washing at night for the most part followed by braiding for most.
minxe...I never thought to freshen hair back up with a washcloth. Interesting idea!

Yozhik...thanks for sharing. I'm a bit of a wild sleeper sometimes so I wonder if I'd lose a sleep cap at night. Definitely worth some research.

Lostsoule77...Oh how I would love for these locks of mine to be agreeable with less washing. I have managed to stretch washes to every few days or so but my lucky daughters who have thick curls only need to wad 1-2 times a week and look great. Maybe one day I'll get there :D I do use a bit of conditioner as a leave in and an currently trying soe Nightblooming Triple Anointing Oil as well.

dwell_in_safety...I just startedexperimenting with damp oiling too and so far I'm loving it!

Sarahlabyrinth...I think it would be wise if I also invest in a good spritz bottle.

patienceneeded...My hair is the same way but with the cold weather it isnt practical for it right now. Wish it was.

Nebulae...Seems like braiding may just be the way to go.

Maybe...Paranas are so gorgeous I'm glad you brought it up! I really should put one on my wish list.

Avital88...I've tried dry brushing and can't seem to get my hair to cooperate. I get a frizzy mess. :(

MrsGuther....Perhaps it's all the length! My hair will be slightly damp even if left down after a good nights sleep. Though some parts will dry so it looks kind of funny. Lol

Ocelan...Definitely seems like evening washes are the way to go, huh?!

spidermom
November 26th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I do all or none of the above, depending on mood. It's early morning right now, and I just washed and deep conditioned my hair. I think I'll blow-dry it later.

pepperminttea
November 26th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Lately I've been washing it in the evening, and doing a damp nautilus bun for bed. I let it down the next day when the length is still wet, and the waves assert themselves quite nicely as it dries. :)

Yozhik
November 27th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Maelyssa, FWIW, I thought that a sleeping bonnet would look a bit too silly on me and not stay on, but it does, and combined with my satin pillowcase, the two work wonders. My hair is in miles better condition than it was before I joined LHC, and this is with me having returned to a lot of my "bad" pre-LHC habits (s/c washing, brushing, leaving my hair down, etc.).

koala
November 27th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I wash at night and sleep with it loose. I know that's bad but I haven't found anything else that's comfortable enough. By morning it's usually dry or only slightly damp. I try to go to bed with my hair as wet as possible because the more it's allowed to air dry without me sleeping on it, the more frizzy it gets. I think it has something to do with the pillow soaking up some water and making it dry more gradually, but I'm not sure.

biogirl87
November 27th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I'll typically wash my hair at night unless I'm going to bed late. If that's the case it gets washed in the morning. Depending on the activities I've got going on in a given week and what I have to do, I'll wash it twice a week (after 4 days although it would be nice to stretch it 5 days-washing my hair after 4 days just seems way too often). When I wash my hair at night, I tend to sleep with it loose as it's usually still damp when I'm going to bed and I don't want to have more tangles in my hair than I need to when I wake up even though I don't toss and turn the first night after I've washed my hair-combing it in the shower when I've got conditioner in it would make the waves go byebye which is why I only brush my hair before washing then leave it alone while it dries.

10000days
November 27th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I don't like my natural texture so I manipulate it as much as possible without damage. I wash my hair in the evening, let it mostly air dry and when it's still a little damp I wrap it around a rolled up stocking leg. In the morning when I unwrap it, I've got really pretty big waves.

CurlyMopTop
November 27th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I'm a morning washer, 2 to 3 times a week. I normally only wash me hair at night in the summer. :D

JamieLeigh
November 28th, 2012, 05:14 AM
I like to wash mine in the morning, but I sometimes don't get much of a choice and have to wash at night. I'm a stay-at-home mom/housewife/writer/jewelry maker, so I don't necessarily have to leave the house between 8am and 3pm. :p I air-dry, loose.

janeytilllie
November 28th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I wash in the evening sometimes night. I will leave it air dry for about 30 minutes and then put a bit of oil in.
In the morning it's mostly dry. I will then put a bit of jojoba oil in and bun it.

I wash my hair 2x a week.