PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else feel like this when someone else cuts off their hair?

turtlelover
November 25th, 2012, 05:55 PM
One of my good friends with really pretty long silver hair just told me today that she plans to cut it to one of those longer in front short in back angled bobs. I can't imagine it looking good on her so much shorter, and I feel really, really sad -- almost a little queasy -- at the thought of her cutting it. It seems a bit like paving paradise to put up a parking lot. Does anyone else feel this way, or am I strange for getting a bit obsessively sad over someone ELSE cutting their hair?:confused: I've cut my OWN and not felt this sad!

akilina
November 25th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I get sad all the time, and especially got very sad when I was working and I was the one cutting off the pretty hair.

While it is sad to see someone cut off their beautiful hair you just have to remember its about what she wants. She may end up loving it and being 100% happy with the choice to go short..if not she will probably grow it back out.
Sad but true :(

leslissocool
November 25th, 2012, 07:01 PM
One of my good friends with really pretty long silver hair just told me today that she plans to cut it to one of those longer in front short in back angled bobs. I can't imagine it looking good on her so much shorter, and I feel really, really sad -- almost a little queasy -- at the thought of her cutting it. It seems a bit like paving paradise to put up a parking lot. Does anyone else feel this way, or am I strange for getting a bit obsessively sad over someone ELSE cutting their hair?:confused: I've cut my OWN and not felt this sad!

It might just be because of a lot of women don't have long silver hair. It's pretty rare, and also very beautiful. Most women dye their grey hair where I am.

Not Lynn Merely
November 25th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Oh, that is sad... One of my friends had hair that had worked its way down to APL since her wedding in May, but she just got it cut back to the join of neck and shoulders. It is a loss.

Lostsoule77
November 25th, 2012, 08:16 PM
I do feel sad when others cut their hair. My neighbor cut her waist hair to bsl and it upset me. Another neighbor cut her daughter's hip length to shoulder length (her daughter is 6 and had been requesting the cut for months.) That still upsets me, but the child loves it. I'm definitely more bothered when I get my hair cut though.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 25th, 2012, 08:26 PM
It gives me the shivers when I see someone cut beautiful long hair short. Damaged, ratty hair - ok, it needs it - but lovely hair? NOOOO!!!
As for cutting my own, I just don't feel like myself when I have short hair. Every time I have done a major chop I regret it. EVERY time. You would think I would learn...And it takes so long to regrow, too.

WaitingSoLong
November 25th, 2012, 08:41 PM
It gives me the shivers when I see someone cut beautiful long hair short. Damaged, ratty hair - ok, it needs it - but lovely hair? NOOOO!!!
As for cutting my own, I just don't feel like myself when I have short hair. Every time I have done a major chop I regret it. EVERY time. You would think I would learn...And it takes so long to regrow, too.

OMGosh you will kill me when I finally cut my hair, won't you? lol

I cannot say I have ever cared when other people cut their hair. Even when my dd went from hip to BSLish, it was like...whatever she wants, ya know? But then, I like hair variety in the world so Ilike to see lots of different things.

It does bother me a bit when people are constantly changing their hair. I mean, like every other month it is a new color or new highlights or layers or fringe. You would think they would run out of options after awhile. I was actually talking to DH about this earlier (someone I know does this) wondering why she would do this. He thought perhaps she is insecure about her hair for some reason. In the end, it is none of my business anyway, right? And all of her choices have looked good on her so???

neko_kawaii
November 25th, 2012, 08:59 PM
My reaction would be, "Aww, I love your long hair, it is so pretty the way it is, but I can't wait to see how it looks with the new style!"

Sarahlabyrinth
November 25th, 2012, 09:08 PM

I cannot say I have ever cared when other people cut their hair. Even when my dd went from hip to BSLish, it was like...whatever she wants, ya know? But then, I like hair variety in the world so Ilike to see lots of different things.

It does bother me a bit when people are constantly changing their hair. I mean, like every other month it is a new color or new highlights or layers or fringe. You would think they would run out of options after awhile. I was actually talking to DH about this earlier (someone I know does this) wondering why she would do this. He thought perhaps she is insecure about her hair for some reason. In the end, it is none of my business anyway, right? And all of her choices have looked good on her so???

Ooh, yes! You had better not cut off so much that I notice, lol!

TheMechaGinger
November 25th, 2012, 10:01 PM
I remember when my niece cut her hair I was really sad, she had waist length wavy hair and must have had about a 5" ponytail. She cut it into an angled bob so short that they actually shaved the back of her head a bit. The next time I saw her after the cut it took everything I had not to burst into tears!

PraiseCheeses
November 25th, 2012, 10:08 PM
One of my students has gorgeous, perfect, shiny 3b ringlets Twice she's chopped them into a mushroom cut and I've wanted to cry - the curls are so pretty, especially as they get longer and acquire better shape! This time around she's let it get longer - she gets it chemically straightened but it seems to have gotten her past shoulder length. I hope she keeps growing it or at least keeps it this length, and I make sure I tell her how nice it looks, especially as her curls are returning.

capnjackfan
November 25th, 2012, 10:15 PM

I completely agree, I HATE when people are constantly changing their hair colour or when people with long beautifully kept hair cut it all off! It makes me so sad, lol, but in the end it's a personal choice and more power to em :)

turtlelover
November 25th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Then, there is the issue of WHAT TO SAY when I see the result of the upcoming haircut. This is a close enough friend that I honestly think it would be awkward to just act oblivious and ignore the obvious elephant in the living room. I don't want to say nothing at all, nor do I want to lie and say that I like it. On the other hand, I'd feel like I was being mean if I were honest! *throws up hands in the air and gives up* :rolleyes:

capnjackfan
November 25th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Mayhap you WILL like it :) I know you'll probably hate the fact that its been chopped, but if it's a cute haircut tell her it's cute, if not tell her it's cute anyway but you LOVED it long.

TheWhiteRabbit
November 26th, 2012, 01:04 AM
In the end, your hair and their hair will grow back if that is what is wanted. It is really sad to see the healthy hair go though.

duchesswannabe
November 26th, 2012, 03:57 AM
No, feel happy for her that she wants to experiment. I am missing my short hair right now. However, with some of the shorter styles I have experimented with, my husband says that when they grow out they tend to stick up on my head because of my hair's texture. (I ask for his opinion; he doesn't give it freely.) So I am in a quandary myself.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack. Your friend needs a change or maybe feels as if her long silver hair is inappropriate for her age, something I am struggling with, even if I do support others here with long, silvering hair.

I would tell her I love her hair as it is but I might ask why she feels that making a complete change is for her?

Mesmerise
November 26th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Well it doesn't bother me THAT much... although I can be disappointed when someone with pretty long hair cuts it. My good friend is wearing her hair short these days but she had such beautiful hair when it was long!!

I was sadder, I think, when my DD cut her hair... she had been asking for awhile... and I finally let her get it shorter, and later shorter still (until it was bobbed with an undercut). Fortunately she is growing it long again (although she sometimes chops off random bits... GRRR lol). She has lovely hair that stays thick all the way down to the ends (unlike my own tapering mess)... and it's such a pretty colour and so fine and yet thick! Anyway, at the end of the day it's HER hair and I need to respect that!

noelgirl
November 26th, 2012, 06:43 AM
I do find that it's easier for me to romanticize very long hair when it's not my own. I'm not the one taking care of it, I'm not the one keeping it out of the way, so I only see the positives of someone else's hair (unless the damage is very obvious), while on my own hair I do see the splits, the frizz, the tangles. And just as I go for a more minor change when I'm sick of my hair (usually a trim or layers, or just splurging on a new product), someone else might have the urge to go more extreme. There might be other factors too, like the person wanting a fresh start for whatever reason. When it's someone else's hair, I don't have all the information.

MonaMayfair
November 26th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I couldn't care less what anyone else does with their hair, it's their business not mine!

spidermom
November 26th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Usually I wouldn't care, but my granddaughter (see profile picture) recently had her hair cut off to shoulder length, and it looks hideous and makes me so sad every time I see her. I try to hide it; I hope I'm successful. She's only 11, far too young to lock herself into one hair length.

But her hair is just like mine. At the current length, it puffs out to mushroom shape unless she flat irons it, which she's really bad at, so to me it always looks really-really-really awful. Sigh ................

Ephemeral
November 26th, 2012, 08:31 AM
My stepdaughter had waist length, dark blonde hair with natural white and honey blonde highlights. She chopped it off into a bob and dyed it black. I want to cry every time I see her.

lunardaydreamer
November 26th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I haven't actually felt this way until recently, because I have always been the one with short hair. Part of me always got a bit excited when someone else cut their hair short because where I live almost everyone from high school up to college, post college has long "trendy" hair. But now that I really want to grow mine long like all you beautiful ladies and handsome gents, whenever my mom (who is growing her hair out from years of a pixie) gets fed up and threatens to cut her ALMOST shoulder length hair I go "No, no you're almost there!" Because her hair is lovely! But I just remind myself it's her decision, her hair. I just think sometimes when people get frustrated and cut their hair if they had just hung in for a little longer they could have restored the condition of their hair. I KNOW that if I had waited just a few more months I would have wandered over to this forum and discovered the joys of oiling and not blow drying and I would be at almost waist by now :(

kurlywurlygurl
November 26th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Yes I know exactly how you feel!! Its like please, please, please no! You want to slap them upside the head, or just shake them up. I mean where did this idea come from? I had my hair cut to shoulder length after I had tailbone my entire life (wanted a change-whatever that was) and it was one of the decisions I regret the most. I mean just yesterday my cousin with hair down to her belly button (which is long in my opinion), was telling me she wanted a "trim". I agreed, and its not that bad so it does not always go wrong. However, my older cousin has waist length ombred hair (tips are a golden blonde and her natural color is jet black), and she wants to cut it in an assymetrical bob. :rolleyes:
I mean her hair grows fast, but it just makes me sad :(
Maybe its just because my curly hair takes ages to grow, and desolves any length I do get. SIGH*

littlestarface
November 26th, 2012, 01:17 PM
My stepdaughter had waist length, dark blonde hair with natural white and honey blonde highlights. She chopped it off into a bob and dyed it black. I want to cry every time I see her.
Wow her real hair sounds beautiful,,I would cry everytime I saw her :cry:

Henrietta
November 26th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I regret it when people whom I know cut their long hair to short. I somehow feel that people can be divided into those who care for hair and/or have it long, and those for whom it's "just hair", they dye it with a new colour every month etc. When someone cuts their hair, they most often stop taking care. At least it seems so for me, for some reason. I regret that there is one hair lover less. But I will never say anything. This regret of mine is much smaller than respect for personal decisions. Very often even if someone had long hair, they didn't care for it anyway and it was "just hair" too. It was damaged anyway and the person did not really belong to hair lovers. So there's no need to be sad for me and no need to miss long hair for them.
If I ever decided to cut my hair, it would be a big and sure decision, well thought over. I would be really angry if I had my family and friends talking "Noo, it's so pretty, don't cut it." and trying to make me change my mind. It belongs to me and I can do whatever I want and whatever will please me. If someone wants nice things, art galleries are open. Everyone can look at impersonal nice things. Hair is personal matter.

jacqueline101
November 26th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Its sad but you've to remember its what she wants. You never know she might grow it out again.

AutumnLocks
November 26th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I agree! I would probably feel very sad about that too. But, like someone else said it's about what she wants. I have had all lengths of hair from very short almost like a man's to well below TBL, and I have always started to miss my long hair after a while. There is just something very womanly and sensual about long beautiful hair. No disrespect to our male members intended. That's just my little 2cent opinon...:shrug:

Bedhead
November 26th, 2012, 07:07 PM
I have gone from long to ultra short so many times in my life, I don't blink and eye to it. The thing that does upset me, however, is when someone is cutting their hair in a style that just doesn't look good on them. To me, hair is a form of our expression, so if they don't get a haircut that suits them, I can only think that either they're going through a major transition, or they're not doing very well, otherwise they're just ready for something new in their lives.

If she's excited, and feeling good about this decision, then as her friend I, of course, would confirm she's sure, then support her in whatever makes her happy and allows her to express herself the way she needs.

duchesswannabe
November 27th, 2012, 03:58 AM
I have gone from long to ultra short so many times in my life, I don't blink and eye to it. The thing that does upset me, however, is when someone is cutting their hair in a style that just doesn't look good on them. To me, hair is a form of our expression, so if they don't get a haircut that suits them, I can only think that either they're going through a major transition, or they're not doing very well, otherwise they're just ready for something new in their lives.

If she's excited, and feeling good about this decision, then as her friend I, of course, would confirm she's sure, then support her in whatever makes her happy and allows her to express herself the way she needs.

Bolding mine. Sometimes you don't know a haircut doesn't suit you until you get it. Not doing very well: sometimes I get a haircut if I am feeling confident and need a break from a grueling routine. I don't think that translates as not doing very well. Hair is a part of people's expression, sometimes; it's just that everyone expresses himself or herself differently. I am sure a lot of women would secretly shave their heads if they felt it were more socially acceptable.

WaitingSoLong
November 27th, 2012, 05:34 AM
I am sure a lot of women would secretly shave their heads if they felt it were more socially acceptable.

But if we all DID, then it would BECOME more socially acceptable. Oh the irony. lol

neko_kawaii
November 27th, 2012, 07:35 AM
But if we all DID, then it would BECOME more socially acceptable. Oh the irony. lol

And then what would young ladies do to rebel temporarily? I loved having a shaved head, but didn't find it as interesting as being able to style my hair in many different fashions, hence I learned I prefer long for myself. Having had just about everything possible done to my hair at one time or another I suppose makes me much more relaxed about what other people do with theirs.

WaitingSoLong
November 27th, 2012, 08:02 AM
And then what would young ladies do to rebel temporarily? I loved having a shaved head, but didn't find it as interesting as being able to style my hair in many different fashions, hence I learned I prefer long for myself.

I would think the upkeep would be tedious, too, but think of all the color variations you could do because there would be no long term commitment to the color, also without hair, the focus would be more on the face and I am thinking creative make-up or piercings & jewelry, things like that. And hats!

duchesswannabe
November 27th, 2012, 08:44 AM
You've beaten me with logic! (To the tune of "She Blinded Me with Science.") If I didn't get the multi-quote right, I'm referring to WSL's and neko's latest posts.

truepeacenik
November 27th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Points for a Thomas Dolby reference!

Turtlelover, do you get sad when someone wears a different cut of blouse or skirt? Or style of shoe?
For some people, a change in hair length is on par with that.

For me, it would be a sign of mental distress, but that is me.
I can't lay that on others, or personalize their choice.

I wonder, when I read these threads, if people are not over identifying with long hair in general.

While I'd have mine long even if shaved was the norm.
Of course, I used dreads as my rebellion, another length option.

We say it all the time here, "not here to decorate your world."
We must give that respect.

And hey, after the humbling experience that is Bay Area hair meets, I like having the longest hair in a room!
(Ok, so that still smells of decorating my world, but it also smells of ego. Yeah.) :cheese:

shutterpillar
November 27th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Sure, I get sad when people with long healthy hair cut their hair. Mostly because I am trying so hard to grow mine out right now and get rid of all the damage.

BUT

I also like to feel happy for people when they go for new hairstyles. Not too long ago I was very into experimenting with different colors, lengths and cuts. I remember what it is like to get a new short haircut that really suits you and you like a lot. I also know what it's like to get one that doesn't suit you (2010 was a HORRIBLE year for me. lol.) But for the people who decide to cut their hair because they LIKE it shorter or need a change.... how can I do anything but feel happy for them? That is like one of them coming to me and saying "ugh, I am so sad that you are letting your hair get so long. I think it will look horrible at that length".

I try to accept people for who they are, and the things they enjoy doing with their appearance, even if it seems like it might look silly to me. Variety and uniqueness in the world is a beautiful thing. :) And hey, if someone cuts their hair a certain way and hate it afterwards, then they probably wont do it again. I know I didn't! LOL. You live, you learn.

jillosity
November 27th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Seriously, I have enough to worry about it my own life to care about what someone else is doing to their hair! Hair grows, it's a fact. To worry or fret or even give a moment's thought to something like this is what I (coming from a background of dealing with depression) call crazymaking. Can't go there.

Nedertane
November 27th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Sometimes, yeah, I get a little sad when someone lops off their hair, particularly if it's healthy and nice-looking. I don't know what it is, but I have this odd, emotional attachment to hair; short hair (on any gender) just makes me sad! Lol.

I actually have a friend with this gorgeous mane of wavy gold-blonde hair that's about hip, maybe tailbone length, and if he cut his hair, I might actually really cry (to quote Blake from Workaholics "No, like real tears, like Native American tears"). It's just so ingrained to my image of him, and it's just that darned pretty! I guess with him, and with many others, I associate it to parts of their personality (usually with being benevolent, caring, or creative even), so that's why it affects me. It sounds silly, I'm sure, but that's the fact of it.

But after a short while (or possibly not even any time at all), I would probably stop caring. I love the people in my life for the people that they are, and hair really won't change that. Plus, if that's what they wanted, and they are happy, why should I feel negatively about it, or try to make them feel bad? Really, as a general trait, I'm very, very lax when it comes to the appearances of others, so it might be an initial shock, but not that big of a deal. :p

Anapeli
November 27th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I was trying to grow my hair but it was no use. I had two textures from keratin and with much sorrow I choose to chop my below shoulder length to nape just yesterday. At work, one of the girls was so bothered!! She told me it was nice but my hair was so nice straight and longer. She was really really upset! I don't get it! My hair wasn't that long to begin with!

kallarina
November 28th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Most people, I don't care about what they do wit their hair. But my good friend had tailbone length hair, then started bleaching it to the point that she melted off about ten inches of it. Then, just last week, she chopped it like Miley Cyrus's new haircut. Shaved parts of her head. She was my inspiration for growing my hair. When I was at shoulder length, I ached for hair as lovely as hers. I adored it, it was literally the only thing that inspired me for the three years of growing before I found LHC. And I won't like, I felt sick when I saw her destroy it, then shave parts of it off while the rest isn't more than a few inches long. Her reason? She wasn't happy with her hair anymore. She was keeping it for everyone else, not herself. She's very happy with the decision. I fully support that. But I'm still deeply saddened, mainly because she was my hair idol.

Bedhead
November 28th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Bolding mine. Sometimes you don't know a haircut doesn't suit you until you get it. Not doing very well: sometimes I get a haircut if I am feeling confident and need a break from a grueling routine. I don't think that translates as not doing very well. Hair is a part of people's expression, sometimes; it's just that everyone expresses himself or herself differently. I am sure a lot of women would secretly shave their heads if they felt it were more socially acceptable.

I think you might have excluded the rest of the points I made:
I can only think that either they're going through a major transition, or they're not doing very well, otherwise they're just ready for something new in their lives. Not doing very well was only one of them. So I think we might agree here. :)

Micayla47
November 28th, 2012, 11:27 PM
i have two good friends with tailbone length hair, both red heads, one natural and the other hennaed. i must admit that i've threatened them with grievous bodily harm when they've talked about chopping it off. :patrol: they both have such beautiful hair and such unique looks. it would be a shame to see them cut their hair and look like everyone else. just my opinion.

WaitingSoLong
November 29th, 2012, 05:08 AM
it would be a shame to see them cut their hair and look like everyone else. just my opinion.

I confess this is one thing that keeps me from cutting sometimes. Long hair is in style and if I cut it back to waist or BSL, I would have hair just like everyone else. Kind of vain I guess. But then, I doubt seriously anyone else cares one lick about my hair (IRL).

duchesswannabe
November 29th, 2012, 06:19 AM
I confess this is one thing that keeps me from cutting sometimes. Long hair is in style and if I cut it back to waist or BSL, I would have hair just like everyone else. Kind of vain I guess. But then, I doubt seriously anyone else cares one lick about my hair (IRL).

I confess to going through this same thought earlier in life when I was TB length. I've just translated that feeling into another aspect of my life, strangely enough. It comes out in different ways.

hairconvictions
November 29th, 2012, 06:45 AM
I know a girl who had hair to the floor and chopped off three feet of it. My husband and I both were actually SAD, and I barely knew the girl.

maborosi
November 29th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I don't usually, but one exception would be if my sister or mom cut their hair. My sister's hair is a bit past waist, and gorgeous. I've told her over and over how good it looks on her. My mom's hair is probably around BSL and honestly it is just more flattering on her than the short hair she had before, which, IMO aged her several years. My mom actually looks a good 5-10 years younger with long hair than with short...so much for long hair aging you, eh?

~maborosi~

kaydana
November 29th, 2012, 08:39 AM
I don't usually, but one exception would be if my sister or mom cut their hair. My sister's hair is a bit past waist, and gorgeous. I've told her over and over how good it looks on her. My mom's hair is probably around BSL and honestly it is just more flattering on her than the short hair she had before, which, IMO aged her several years. My mom actually looks a good 5-10 years younger with long hair than with short...so much for long hair aging you, eh?

~maborosi~

I'm pretty sure that "long hair ages you" was made up by someone who has an issue with women over a certain age wanting to look nice. Everyone I've known who has cut their hair off because they're "too old" for long hair looked older after the cut, while the people I know who decided to grow it long despite being "too old" looked younger after doing so.

WaitingSoLong
November 29th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I look much older with short hair. I have a pic of me from 10 years ago with about shoulder length hair and I easily look 35 in the pic. I was about 26 then.

LisaButz2001
November 29th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I have a foot in both camps. If a friend of mine cut their hair, I'd be disappointed, because it's gorgeous, but also it would lead to me being pressured to cut mine, think safety in numbers. I am also disappointed when someone with lovely hair chops it all off, like Evangline Lily or Anne Hathaway. However, I support a person's right to choose. If I hate people trying to talk me into something, then it is wrong for me to try to talk someone into cutting or keeping their hair long. Mind you, a woman might sometimes talk about cutting their hair, because they want to know that people actually like it. They may need positive reinforcement.

neko_kawaii
November 29th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Mind you, a woman might sometimes talk about cutting their hair, because they want to know that people actually like it. They may need positive reinforcement.

Really? I could see someone who can't make a decision to go for a certain style or keep their current one keeping the current one when they ask for advice and hear that people like what they currently wear, but I would be worried about my friend if they went around talking about a hair cut as a way to fish for a compliment.

redeyedtreefr0g
November 29th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I felt awful for other people when I cut my hair... does that count?
I used to have random people, especially little stooped old ladies and really young girls come up to me and tell me how lovely my hair was. I distinctly remember one incident at the mall, a place I rarely go to. A bent-over little foreign woman with medium-length hair all colors of white and silver and gray frizzing in all directions hobbled over to me and actually took my arm before I noticed her behind me and she said in the most serious voice I've ever heard that my hair was lovely and to never ever give in and cut it. It was kind of creepy, actually.

I thought of her when I went to the hair dresser to chop off all the damaged ends, when the hairdresser made a horrible tangled mess when washing it and I had to stand there for half an hour very gingerly combing it all out again. I wondered what she would say if she saw me sitting there under the scissors.

I'm glad I got rid of the tangling damaged ends, but I'm sad I had to resort to such an extreme in the first place. I'm a bit irked that I couldn't have an anniversary Halloween trim haircut trip like I promised myself, but before now a haircut was always a birthday thing anyway, so I guess its alright to wait until then.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn158/redeyedtreefr0g/Hair/th_IMG_2946.jpg (http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn158/redeyedtreefr0g/Hair/IMG_2946.jpg?t=1336105785) http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn158/redeyedtreefr0g/Hair/th_IMG_2947.jpg (http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn158/redeyedtreefr0g/Hair/IMG_2947.jpg?t=1336105784)
Before and after, Halloween 2011

beautifulending
November 29th, 2012, 11:10 PM
I hate to admit this but...I...umm....feel better about my hair length when I see someone with long-ish hair cut it shorter. :( I feel bad about being glad about something like that.

LisaButz2001
December 2nd, 2012, 09:08 AM
@Redeyedtreefr0g: if my hair had looked as good at classic, as your Halloween 2011 pic, I would have kept it, but mine looks terrible past TB and best at waist.

AMD
December 4th, 2012, 06:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that "long hair ages you" was made up by someone who has an issue with women over a certain age wanting to look nice. Everyone I've known who has cut their hair off because they're "too old" for long hair looked older after the cut, while the people I know who decided to grow it long despite being "too old" looked younger after doing so.

I think the quote "long hair ages you" had more to do with very long hair being "in" long ago. It refers to aging you style wise, not visibly IMHO. To those who religiously follow that quote I would say that not everyone cares to choose trends over personal style.
Plus, how rare is it to see long beautiful gray hair? I can't say I've even seen it here in NYC.

AMD
December 4th, 2012, 06:53 PM
I hate to admit this but...I...umm....feel better about my hair length when I see someone with long-ish hair cut it shorter. :( I feel bad about being glad about something like that.

+1
I totally do as well... don't tell anyone!

I only feel upset when people cut their hair and don't look better. If you're going to cut or grow out, it should enhance your beauty, not distract!

Sillage
December 4th, 2012, 06:58 PM
It doesn't bother me when people cut their hair irl but for some reason I really really hate it when people make hair cutting announcement posts here.

WaitingSoLong
December 4th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Sillage if I ever cut my hair I will probably just disappear from here and never return. I love reading those posts, though, so long as they are not complaining about the cut. I live vicariously through them and secretly wish I had the guts to do it, too.

lmfbs
December 5th, 2012, 12:07 AM
I don't care if other people cut their hair and honestly I think it's a little bit odd to be reduced to tears over someone elses choices that don't affect you.

It doesn't bother me when people make hair cut announcement posts on here, but I do get a bit irked when people make make posts about how they regret their cuts.

piffyanne
December 5th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Sillage if I ever cut my hair I will probably just disappear from here and never return. I love reading those posts, though, so long as they are not complaining about the cut. I live vicariously through them and secretly wish I had the guts to do it, too.

On the other hand, I'd rather you stuck around even if you DID cut. I like YOU, not your HAIR. :blossom:

I'd still like you if you were bald, WSL! <3

WaitingSoLong
December 5th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Awww Piffy thanks! :flowers:

Sarahlabyrinth
December 5th, 2012, 01:29 PM

So if you ever disappear from here we will know what yooouu've been doing, lol!

Anyway, even if you did cut, you would probably still have SOME hair and it would STILL look great!

Sillage
December 5th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Sillage if I ever cut my hair I will probably just disappear from here and never return.

LOL well don't do that on my account!!!!

I love reading those posts, though, so long as they are not complaining about the cut. I live vicariously through them and secretly wish I had the guts to do it, too.

Hmm that's very interesting. If cutting your hair is something that you actually want to do, then I hope you find the courage to do it. Your hair is so beautiful that I'm sure it will look gorgeous at any length. I hope you stay here on LHC tho!

turtlelover
December 5th, 2012, 08:46 PM
No matter HOW sad I was about anyone cutting their hair, I would certainly never want them to leave these forums over it! Hair length has ZERO to do w/ the value of friendships formed here, and even if people went for a BUZZ CUT, I'd rather them stick around than leave!

Dang3rousB3auty
December 6th, 2012, 01:40 AM
I think the only time I was sad when someone cut their hair off was when my Grandma cut off her waist length hair. She was the only older lady I knew with long hair. My cousins and I used to braid it for her. She chopped it all off to a bob because she couldn't take care of it anymore I guess. Sad :(

Otherwise, if the person is happy then cut away :P haha

CurlyCurves
December 6th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I relate! It also hurts me when people dye or excessively use heat on their hair. I care too much, LOL.