PDA

View Full Version : Product to prevent tangles?

DarleneH
November 25th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Is there anything that can be applied to fine textured, snarl prone hair that will decrease the amount of tangling that it's prone to?

Libbylou
November 25th, 2012, 04:31 PM
My hair is not prone to tangles, but I still use a couple drops of mineral oil after I wash on damp hair. There is a thread or two on this product. I use it for the moisture retention. Others swear by preventing tangles.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 25th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Mineral oil works really well for me and I have thick, fine hair.

Vanilla
November 25th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I would also recommend mineral oil, or silk drops (silicone serum).

jacqueline101
November 25th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I use a spray in detangler and then follow up with a light leave in conditioner.

MeganE
November 25th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I've never used mineral oil, but my hair does much better with regular trims (like every two to three weeks) and no layers. I also get really good slip from using coconut oil under a heat cap, and I use a conditioner with no cones and a lot of stearamidopropyl dimethylamene (sp?) in it.

Madora
November 25th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Mineral oil, also known as baby oil, is a super detangler on damp hair.

Not only does it detangle, but it helps keep moisture in your hair as well and tames frizzies. The best mineral oil contains only the oil plus a fragrance. Additives may cause breakouts.

You only need a very small amount of Mineral Oil as it spreads quickly and does not work as effectively if you use too much. For ease of application, you might want to try this:

Put two or three small drops of mineral oil on a dish. Take a cotton swab, coat it in the oil, then apply it all over your palms and fingers. Run your hands over and through your hair several times until the sheen has almost vanished from your hands.

MO works best on hair that has been clarified first. While you can apply it to dry hair, it is more efficacious on hair that is DAMP (not dripping).

MO is very lightweight, rinses out easily, and does not leave any after scent. Several members have used it, with great results.

lapushka
November 25th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I either have mineral oil on my ends or a silicone serum. My mineral oil is from Johnson's, and my serums are either IC Fantasia or Chi.

DarleneH
November 25th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Wow, I had read the mineral oil stuff but thought it was just for moisturizing. Thanks, guys, I'll work with it some more!

EndlessSunshine
November 26th, 2012, 06:14 AM
I use Acv rinses and it keeps my hair tangle free.

JadeTigress
November 26th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I second the ACV rinses. I've got fine hair with about average thickness. My hair pretty much stayed knotted up, no matter how often I brushed it or wore it up and contained and out of the way. But with the ACV rinses, it just doesn't tangle. I can wear it down on a windy day and still be able to run my fingers all the way through it.

DinaAG
November 26th, 2012, 01:32 PM
coconut and EVOO mix

sibiryachka
November 27th, 2012, 12:14 PM
The best thing I've found for tangle prevention is not a hair product at all - it's sleeping on a satin pillowcase.

spidermom
November 27th, 2012, 12:29 PM
CHI Silk Infusion (coney).

jeanniet
November 27th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Mineral oil works well for detangling. My hair hates it, but it does detangle. If your hair doesn't like it, any light oil also works--camellia, argan, or just a touch of coconut oil. You can also mix a small amount of oil with distilled water in a spray bottle (I use 1 tsp. per 2 oz.), shake it up well, and then spray your hair lightly before you put it up for bed. This always makes it much easier to detangle my hair in the morning.

ravenreed
November 27th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Mineral oil doesn't help me at all with detangling, but a catnip rinse gives my hair more slip so it is easier to get the tangles out.

neko_kawaii
November 27th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I've found that an overnight coconut treatment before washing helps with slip, but the biggest thing that has helped keep my hair from tangling was trimming out the dry velcro ends that liked each other so much.

jlb
November 28th, 2012, 04:43 PM
You can also mix a small amount of oil with distilled water in a spray bottle (I use 1 tsp. per 2 oz.), shake it up well, and then spray your hair lightly before you put it up for bed. This always makes it much easier to detangle my hair in the morning.

Thank you! I tried this last night on a whim & what a difference it made this morning.