PDA

View Full Version : Chemical dye/henna and undercuts/mohawks?

tinfoilsally
November 25th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Hey everybody! I apologise if this has been addressed elsewhere, but my searching efforts have been in vain. Basically, I'm looking for anyone who has had experience dying any sort of shaved-head hairstyle, for advice and such!
I recently gave myself an undercut/sidecut/whatever you fancy calling it, and I'm planning on turning that into a sort-of-mohawk (the strip of hair up top will be thick enough to hide the shaved parts when I need to for work, and I don't actually plan on spiking it- the basic idea is something like this girl's hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqHbOoErkeg). I also want to carry on hennaing it when I get bored with my colour, which I inevitably will, but I don't want to have henna stains (or veggie dye stains) on my scalp when I do it. I'd just cover the shaved bits with vaseline, but then the hair there won't get any colour, will it?

I'm not even sure whether the henna will stain my scalp, since it's usually covered by hair, but I know it stains my hands, so...
Does anyone have any tips or anything? Or any cool pictures? :D

akilina
November 25th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I used to have a side undercut and its been growing for a solid year now...what a pain -__- I loved it though..kept it for almost 2 years. Its so much longer now! it made me realize that my hair actually does grow pretty fast and much more than just 6 inches a year.

I also used to use henna...I noticed that it may have stained my scalp but my scalp is a greasy place and it seemed to go away very quickly. It wasnt very keen to sticking because of the natural greasiness of the scalp.
If you put vaseline on it I really do not think your hair would get color at all. A trick to hiding it is that you could color it when the hair is about 1/2 inch long so you really cant see the scalp thru it. just be careful on the hair line where the shaved part meets the long part (if that makes sense ;) )

tinfoilsally
November 30th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks for your advice! It's been a little while now and I'm still absolutely loving this hairstyle, I can't wait to shave the other side (waiting until I hear from a job application first, to play it safe)!