PDA

View Full Version : Mid-back and longer styles for theater headshots?

Sharysa
November 25th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I've posted a similar thread on UTT, but I'm heading over here as well for more options.

Seeing as my hair's gotten from shoulder-length to mid-back since last winter, I'm going to need new acting headshots as soon as I can to avoid any "You need to cut your hair if we're going to cast you" problems.

The problem is, headshots for theater naturally focus more on the face as opposed to hair, and when my hair reaches waist-length like I'm planning, it's going to be hard to get it all into a portrait-style shot if it's loose or braided. There are half-body shots, but those are rather rare.

Are there any hairstyles that convey your hair-length without being too noticeable or period-specific? I would go with standard/English braids and my favorite fishtail braid, but there's the "cut off by the size limits" problem. A general rule for theater headshots is to keep hairstyles to "whatever you can replicate (by yourself)" for the audition.

On the auditions themselves, they usually involve waiting for at least fifteen minutes before you actually go in. (And in my case, I'd need at least half an hour of travel time.) So unfortunately, a lot of the gorgeous styles I've seen so far are out.

mzBANGBANG
November 25th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I'm not sure of standards for head shots, but what about an elegant, high sock bun? The thickness of the bun would emphasize that you have a lot of hair, and it would leave the focus on your face. I always liked the way they look on Kail Lowry from Teen Mom LINK (http://static.wetpaint.me/teenmom/ROOT/photos/310/Kailyn-1240612605854060661.jpg). With the right placement it wouldn't scream look at my huge bun!!!

edit: I just realized you want to showcase your actual length to avoid being told to cut your hair, forgive me and my ADHD :whistles:

Amygirl8
November 25th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Hm, maybe you could get some tight curls or waves going on?
They'll shrink your hair enough so that it should fit, but you could also tell that if it was "stretched out" it'd be much longer.
A really high ponytail with the hair brought to the front might also work.

Sharysa
November 25th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Oh, wow. High buns are faaaaabulous. But they might fall under the "shouldn't wear them on a 30-minute commute" problem. Also since I'm Filipino, I run the risk of typecasting myself as the "LOOK, I'M ASIAN!!!" girl.

I was looking around and found out that looped braids are an actual hairstyle! I was already thinking "Hell, I'll just do a braid and then loop it back on itself to keep it in frame," and then I did a google search and found looped braids have been used for... several hundred years. :P

Maybe a single looped side braid would avoid the schoolgirl/milkmaid/1940s look, especially since side-braids are good for softening my face. WHY YOU NOT WAIST LENGTH RIGHT NOW, HAIR?!

torrilin
November 25th, 2012, 02:18 PM
A lot depends on how many head shots are reasonable for your portfolio. If you can only have one, I'd pick up a wig that suits you and is a fairly current sort of hair style. It's pretty easy to hide long hair under a wig, so it'd be an easy look for auditions.

If you can have more than one photo in your portfolio, I'd do a wig shot and a half length portrait to show off your length and maybe a third portrait of your hair done in a fancy updo. If you're going that route, I'd assume you'd want to show off a fairly reasonable range so the length shot and updo shot should probably be a bit costumed.

lapushka
November 25th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I know nothing about headshots, but what about a high ponytail; looks very modern and carefree.

Sharysa
November 25th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Torrilin: I have no idea what reaction I'd get with wearing a wig for my theater headshots, but it's already risky to have your hair too long/short when you audition. If someone hires me because they liked my "hairstyle" and I admit I was only wearing a wig, I imagine I'd get thrown out before I could even audition.

neko_kawaii
November 25th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Maybe spend some time on Google images looking at what other people have done in their headshots with an eye for longer hair? Good luck!

noelgirl
November 26th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Maybe down but sideswept over one shoulder? Bun waves would look very elegant like that, and then if you were to wear your hair down for any auditions, it would look similar enough. And the sidesweep and waves would keep it within the portrait frame, since it would rest on your chest.

torrilin
November 26th, 2012, 07:30 AM
I can't imagine how wearing a wig in the headshot and then wearing it to the audition would be risky. It's routine in theater work to wear wigs for all kinds of roles. Demonstrating you can handle a wig well is a career asset, not a liability.

Egana
November 26th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Looking at your beautiful hair, I would hate to have it in a tight, traditional braid. I immediately thought of this loose, textured, interesting braid that you could do quickly and easily, and adapt to your length preferences for each audition. She calls is a "boho braid."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNItdcCp-dI&feature=plcp

Sharysa
November 26th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the video, Egana!

To Torrilin: It would be risky for two reasons.

1) I'm essentially lying about a VERY key feature that might change a lot of things. Even if I wear it to the audition and get cast, I would still either get sick of wearing it after the first couple weeks of rehearsal, or I'd be constantly worried that someone would find out and fire me for the aforementioned lying.

2) Theater headshots are supposed to be a representation of you, not a showcase of what you can do. Even if being good with wigs is a bonus, I should only put that in my resume.

Actually wearing a wig for headshots could get people mad because in the worst-case scenario (where I'm not dismissed at my audition), someone ELSE needs extensions while the actual long-haired woman is wearing a wig. Not only would the director be forced to deal with a) not one, but two physically-miscast people, or b) switching our roles and changing his intentions as well as the cast's dynamics, the costumer and sound people would have extra work because my costume/mic needs special attention to work properly with my wig.

And I'm not experienced enough for directors to accept extra work for me, seeing as I'm still in school. A very good one, but still.

The director has to see who YOU'D be good for first, and the wigs/dye/haircuts would only be applicable AFTER you're already cast.

Iolanthe13
November 26th, 2012, 11:23 AM
When I had TBL hair, my headshots had my head tilted and angled 3/4 so that the hair flowed down behind my face. Obviously, you couldn't see the ends, but it was clear that the hair was long, fairly heavy and not layered, just from the way it fell. Also, I think wearing your long hair down in an audition makes it pretty clear to a director that you have long hair. Surely they would tell you in the callback if they expected you to cut your hair?

Sharysa
November 26th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I'd definitely wear my hair half-up if not totally down to the audition, but even with great long hair, there's always the problem of "looking too old-fashioned." Or just the character/setting having an iconic look. If I auditioned for anyone in Chicago (especially Velma), I'd need to be a REALLY good singer/actress to not get my hair bobbed.

3/4 is a good angle to get my hair in shot, but the color might be too stark against my face. Then again, the photographer my theater prof recommends IS widely-known across the Bay Area, so I'll leave the finicky stuff alone for now.

And directors would definitely tell you whether you need to get your hair cut once the cast is finalized, but I imagine the actual cut would come a month-ish later, when the dress rehearsals start. Which would make it even harder to let go of. :(

Seeshami
November 26th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I have always had a fondness for the pile of hair-mess while laying down pictures. Probably because I have a giant hair monster on my head that is nothing but a mess. And there are the pictures like the mermaid brushing her hair painted by JW Waterhouse that show off long hair.

Sharysa
November 26th, 2012, 10:19 PM
That would be really awesome when I reach waist length, but theater headshots need at least a bit more decorum than that. :P

Arya
November 26th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I found some that I think communicate 'very long hair'

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/7918/7918,1239295584,10/stock-photo-very-nice-headshot-of-a-man-with-long-hair-and-beard-28231393.jpg

http://imagebyshaunanders.com/?cat=4

http://rheeviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IMG_6267.jpg

I think your best bet is to bring your hair over in front of a shoulder, or to have it done up in a high ponytail with the falls visible behind your head. Hair that still looks long when pulled in front of the shoulder or up in a high ponytail is clearly very long, while still being close to your face, if that makes sense.

Sharysa
November 27th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I think your best bet is to bring your hair over in front of a shoulder, or to have it done up in a high ponytail with the falls visible behind your head. Hair that still looks long when pulled in front of the shoulder or up in a high ponytail is clearly very long, while still being close to your face, if that makes sense.

That makes a LOT of sense, thank you. And hooooooow did you find those headshots? I was looking on Google and most of my entries for "long hair" had women with hair just past armpit-length. *facepalm*

So it looks like a three-quarters shot with a high/side ponytail would convey length really well. And I'll definitely make sure to wear something contrasting to avoid having my hair blend in, like in the third shot. (Not that it isn't a nice photo, but why would you wear a black shirt with your black hair against a dark-gray background?)

Arya
November 28th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Haha, thanks! I just finished uni, so research is kinda my specialty. I just play around with keywords til I get what I want. I think I probably did a combination of: theatre headshot "long hair", acting headshot long hair, headshot "very long hair", and things like that.

goldloli
November 29th, 2012, 12:19 PM
http://www.seventeen.com/cm/seventeen/images/pG/school-two-braids-mdn.jpg
http://images.idiva.com/media/photogallery/2012/Mar/messy_braid_trend_600x450.jpg

loving these so much i shall try them on myself, so simple too.

Sharysa
November 29th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Gaaaaaah, that fishtail braid!

Once I get my braid-waves to last more than a few hours, I will SOOOOOO try that.

Iolanthe13
November 30th, 2012, 06:21 AM
In reference to your comment about having to bob your hair, surely you could do a faux-bob? They're all the rage these days, and really quite easy to do.

Sharysa
November 30th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Oh, I could definitely try that--thanks for reminding me. The problem is that cutting my hair would be on a director's orders and they might not be experienced enough with hair to trust faux-cuts. Especially since I'd need it to withstand costume changes, dance/combat, a microphone, or all three. I'll have to see which type of faux-bob can hold up to that.