PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of Growing to Classic

HintOfMint
November 24th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Hey guys, in true LHC fashion, I have reached TBL and am now toying with growing to classic.

What are the pros and cons of growing to classic (both the process and the length itself)?

Natalia
November 24th, 2012, 10:18 PM
For me the major con of going to classic and beyond is that the taper gets very severe on me that may or may not apply or bother you depending on your type and texture. The plus is that i love that time in the morning hen my hair is dona nd i get to play ith it and drape it around me. And honestly it is really fun to check out how it looks before i get in the shower lol its like rampunzel meets eve :p. I am contemplating a trim back arounf tb since my ends have been bugging me but its hard to let go of those fun playful inches. I dont find it getting in the way anymore than it did at tb except in the shower where i have to unstick it from more intimate places hahaha.

Shepherdess
November 24th, 2012, 10:48 PM
First of all, congratulations on reaching TBL! ! :)

I think that classic length is a very lovely length as well. When I was at classic it wasn't so hard for me to care for, although it takes a long time to dry and it can be hard to detangle. But really, I don't think there will be much of a difference in caring for it from TBL to Classic since I haven't even noticed much of a difference since I reached mid-thigh from when I was at classic (except for having to reach farther now when combing through).
I guess I don't really know, every person is different and some hair types might be easier than others.

The best suggestion I could give would probably be to just grow it out to classic length to see for yourself, and if you dislike it, you can always trim back to TBL and it will make a thicker hemline anyway. :D

Best of wishes in whatever decision you make!

woolyleprechaun
November 25th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Gosh, I can only dream of TB, let alone classic! To be honest, from what I've read here, I get the impression that once you are past around waist it shouldnt make tooooooo much difference. If you are caring for long hair already, whats a few more inches? ;) The good thing is you can always cut back if its not for you, whereas if you dont push for it, you'll never know...

Billycourty
November 25th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Although I have never been to classic, my hair now at BCL is the longest it has ever been, I just have to comment on what Natalia said about hair being more "playful" after a certain lenght. After my hair reached hip I found it just seemed to drape so beautifully and I also enjoy (maybe it is just more noticable) the weight of it and touch of so much more than any shorter lenght. As for upkeep, I have not found it any more difficult at this lenght than a shorter lenght.

However,, I have read that it is when your hair reaches classic that this changes.

Good luck with your hair goals!

JamieLeigh
November 25th, 2012, 01:10 AM
To be honest, I haven't had any harder of a time with classic+ hair than I had at TBL and higher. I found LHC when I was at TBL+, so I've really never known it any other way. Knee length was a hassle for me, though other people are quite happy with it.

Anyway.

Pros:
You look like a princess.
It's fun to reach a new length milestone that is considered LONG even by LHC standards.
It's easier to self-trim and S&D, because you can pull the ends around and look at them without straining your neck.
You get to try out some new styles that aren't achievable with hair that's not at least classic length. (for one thing, milkmaid braids will now wrap around your head enough times to be able to secure them to one another :D)
Larger hair sticks and forks and flexis are in your future.
It causes you to rethink your hair goals (now do I grow to knee??).
A 3" or 4" trim is no longer as scary as it used to be.
Did I mention you look like a princess? ;)

Cons:
There is more hair to get tangled up in when you wash.
You almost have to wear a sleep style, because again - there's more hair to get tangled up in.
It's harder to wear it down without causing some sort of damage.
You might begin to have a hard time doing the hairstyles you're used to with shorter than classic-length hair.
If taper is an issue (like someone already mentioned), you might have a problem growing past classic.
Instead of worrying whether you'll sit on your braid, now you worry about whether someone else will sit on your braid.
It's harder to pull your pants up without stuffing your ends in, too. (but to be fair, that's been a worry since hip length and by now you'd be used to it)
You might not want to look like a princess.

Vintagecoilylocks
November 25th, 2012, 05:40 PM
to be honest, i haven't had any harder of a time with classic+ hair than i had at tbl and higher. I found lhc when i was at tbl+, so i've really never known it any other way. Knee length was a hassle for me, though other people are quite happy with it.

Anyway.

Pros:
It's fun to reach a new length milestone that is considered long even by lhc standards.
It's easier to self-trim and s&d, because you can pull the ends around and look at them without straining your neck.
You get to try out some new styles that aren't achievable with hair that's not at least classic length. (for one thing, milkmaid braids will now wrap around your head enough times to be able to secure them to one another :d)
you look like a princess.
It causes you to rethink your hair goals (now do i grow to knee??).
Did i mention you look like a princess? ;)

cons:
You almost have to wear a sleep style, because again - there's more hair to get tangled up in.
You might begin to have a hard time doing the hairstyles you're used to with shorter than classic-length hair.
If taper is an issue (like someone already mentioned), you might have a problem growing past classic.
Instead of worrying whether you'll sit on your braid, now you worry about whether someone else will sit on your braid.
It's harder to pull your pants up without stuffing your ends in, too. (but to be fair, that's been a worry since hip length and by now you'd be used to it)
you might not want to look like a princess.

i just love this

Amygirl8
November 25th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Haha, loved jamieleigh's post.
Honestly the only cons I see to it are tangles, taper, and that whole either-you-or-someone-else-sitting on it deal. If you think you can achieve it, go for it! If you don't like it you can just trim back. Given enough time your hair might probably end up reaching classic without you noticing, so lol.
If it was up to me, I think I might grow. Classic is probably a little too much for me since I'm a student and always moving around the school and sitting/standing constantly, but if that's not an issue for you then definitely.
You never know unless you try, plus (just have to here) you'll look like a princess! :D

Quixii
November 25th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I don't think it makes that much of a difference. It doesn't feel that much longer, and if you don't watch your hair like a hawk, it's not a stressful grow-out time. Now that my hair is solidly below classic, I start sitting on it more often and such. But at classic and at tailbone don't feel a whole lot different, and I didn't treat them any different.
I like how classic looks a little better (on me). It's fun in that it's solidly in the realm of recognizably longer than most people's hair.
Unless hair growth stresses you out, I would just grow on to classic. If you don't like it, you can cut it back.

Lostsoule77
November 25th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I also love jamieleigh's answer!

HintOfMint, if you were at waist or so I would say there are many positives and negatives between there and classic. Having just finished the journey between TBL & classic I honestly haven't noticed that much of a difference. It takes maybe a minute more to wash it or style it. Maybe two minutes more to dry. My ends don't end in the same place when I'm doing a bun. My hair is still long to other people, not quite long enough to me.

I am still wearing my hair down the same amount (which is about 1/2-1 day a week.) Doesn't tangle anymore or less. Same with getting split ends, no more or less.

I'm sure it's different for everyone though. Since it does take time just grow it. If it starts bothering you you can always trim back to TBL. :)

WaitingSoLong
November 25th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Ok, I, too, just loved JamieLeigh's post.

Everyone has pretty much said what I would say only I would be a bit more negative as I have really hated my hair since going past TBL, twice, to Classic. I am now at Classic + but will trim back to Classic this week. 3rd time I will be at Classic in the last year due to having to trim.

Waist was my favorite length as far as hair care balanced with looks. TBL is, so far, my most aesthetically pleasing length (on me).

I do want to emphasize that sitting on it, and other people sitting on it, and even managing to step on it a few times is NO fun and I have incurred a lot of mechanical damage from just trying to wear my hair loose once in awhile. Somehow I just must be inept at this length. I know other members have had similar issues with quality past TBL and have cut back from Classic a few times (Spidermom comes to mind).

I am seeing a lot of breakage but, oddly, no splits. Yet I do have old bleach damage so I am blaming that thus far. The tangles are a huge issue for me and my hair type. I couldn't dream of sleeping with my hair loose and can no longer do sleep braids due to headaches. My only sleep choice is my hair stocking that I made, but it is only TBL so the ends have been sticking out for awhile now.

And I will add...I find it a very...un-nice... feeling when I am washing my hair and it inevitably gets into my butt crack. There is just no delicate way to put that. I hate it. It is gross to me even though I am clean at that point.

The best suggestion I could give would probably be to just grow it out to classic length to see for yourself, and if you dislike it, you can always trim back to TBL and it will make a thicker hemline anyway. :D

This is what I would tell you.

And for the pros, it does have a nice playful quality to it, espcially in intimate moments and I will skip details. But I agree that it is at a length that is almost always longer than anyone else's, if that is something you desire. I did for awhile, but now I am finding I don't care too much anymore.

Princess? LOL, maybe. But I think TBL qualifies for that, too.

Milui Elenath
November 26th, 2012, 01:43 AM
I have just reached classic - (and the forum was down :( ) but for me it's been a pro in reaching classic - though it was a bit of a surprise pro. All of sudden I can wear my hair down again while at TB and between it just irritated me way too much to bother. Admittedly I don't wear it down often but I like knowing that I can previously (TB on) I haven't had it down for more than a couple of hours but I actually wore it down to for a whole day the other week - even brushed my teeth with it out! I'm not sure if its the weight or length but it is staying behind me instead of all over me.

In between I haven't found any other difference in caring/washing. I was able to do more updos which I did enjoy.

But actually reaching classic my buns feel more balanced. Of course this may just be the right length for me and my body shape/height and different for other people but I am loving it - which is nice because it occurs to me (only now luckily) that I've been putting up with the other lengths but I think it was well worth it.

Avital88
November 26th, 2012, 02:58 AM
It started to get more tangly from tailbone on.. Like some say there isnt much difference between waist and tbl,well for me it was.
It got stuck everywhere,bags,zippers,between people in crowded places. So yes more damage and splits, i cut my hair back to waist few months ago and its easier to handle and brush.
Longer than tailbone means wearing it up as much as possible for me..I'm gonna try again though,Good luck with growing to classic

kaydana
November 26th, 2012, 05:04 AM
This is making me want to grow to classic... especially JamieLeigh's post. I want to look like a princess!

Hiriel
November 26th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I'm sort of in a similar situation. I have maintained at around tailbone for a while now, trying to decide if I want it longer or not. I'm suffering from split hair personality... Because when I braid my hair, I always want LONGER hair. Always. Long braids are among the most awesome things in the world. But most of the time I bun my hair. And already at TBL I'm experiencing head-eating buns. Especially the fact that the buns tend to bulge out so much looks a bit weird to me. I almost only ever use the nautilus bun these days, as it holds so well, but it's beginning to look silly.

If I'm going to grow my hair longer I really need to learn some new buns I think.

Vivalagina
November 26th, 2012, 12:12 PM
My goal was waist... but now I kinda want to feel like a princess so maybe I'll just let it keep growing. :eyebrows:

WaitingSoLong
November 26th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Hiriel, I have found that certain buns don't styick out so much. Like the Lazy Wrap, which is almost like the nautilus anyway. And of course cinnabuns but I cannot secure those without spin pins and it's too much hassle. Plus the end always pops out no matter what I do.

I know what you mean about the braid thing...Braiding makes your hair appear shorter and I do have a freeze frame memory in my head of a lady with a knee length braid just gently swaying when she walked. My braid is almost Classic now that I am a wee past Classic, but when I trim tomorrow my braid will probably be back to TBL. Then there are my parandi, which help!

WHICH, by the way, is a nice way to fake longer hair, especially something like Classic when you are already TBL, just to see what it is like to sit on a braid, have it dip in the toilet when you sit down LOL, stuff like that. Plus you can whip people with them. Ya know. Ninja style.

white.chocolate
November 27th, 2012, 03:01 PM
To be honest, I haven't had any harder of a time with classic+ hair than I had at TBL and higher. I found LHC when I was at TBL+, so I've really never known it any other way. Knee length was a hassle for me, though other people are quite happy with it.

Anyway.

Pros:
It's fun to reach a new length milestone that is considered LONG even by LHC standards.
It's easier to self-trim and S&D, because you can pull the ends around and look at them without straining your neck.
You get to try out some new styles that aren't achievable with hair that's not at least classic length. (for one thing, milkmaid braids will now wrap around your head enough times to be able to secure them to one another :D)
It causes you to rethink your hair goals (now do I grow to knee??).
Did I mention you look like a princess? ;)

Cons:
You might not want to look like a princess.

After reading the OP's post, I very quickly scribbled a list of pros and cons I could think of. Then I read this... So, I'm ditching my list, and quoting JamieLeigh's instead! :rockerdud:silly: It's 100% accurate! ...I'd just like to add the hair-getting-stuck-in-the-butt-crack-when-showering problem. You'll have to start putting your hair in front of you or on the side. Also, I just love how the cinnabun gets prettier and prettier. :)

Congrats on reaching TB, by the way!

ETA: I forgot to conclude by saying that, in my opinion, the pros of growing to classic far outweigh the cons. Life just gets more fun. But you'd have to go through the process yourself before making a final decision. Good luck!

Seeshami
November 27th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I stopped worry about the length and started worrying about the styles I want to do. I'll grow it to the ground if that's the only way I can get an infinity bun to stay in my hair.

RavennaNight
November 27th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Ha!. Now, reading JamieLeigh's post I want to grow there too! :D. But alas, my ends have taper, serious taper... Or I can just live vicariously through all of you. Grow to classic!

JamieLeigh
November 28th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Haha! Glad I could entertain. :D

I just wanted to add that if you do grow it out and classic is not for you, you'll have GORGEOUSLY thick ends again if you trim it back to where you were happier with it. Growing to new lengths is good like that...you get the absolute best of both worlds.

Elanadi
November 28th, 2012, 10:41 AM
JamieLiegh, great post, LOL!!! :)

Masara
November 28th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I've been about an inch away from classic for the past 6 months, so I'm not actually qualified to comment, but I will anyway...

The biggest thing I have noticed since tailbone is that my ends are thinner, more see through and they tangle more easily. I trimmed a few inches in June to get a more even hemline which was lovely, but as it grew, it thinned out yet again :(
Reading the TB to classic thread, it seems that a lot of people are like me; people there seem to take longer to get to their goal because they need to trim their ends more often.

Apart from that, I haven't noticed much difference between nearly classic and TB; the buns I could do at TB, I can still do. The buns I was starting to have too much hair to do are still difficult. I think this is linked to the thin ends.

I always wear my hair up, so I haven't had any problems with sitting on it (me on anyone else)

I don't think I'll ever look like a princess, but there is something very satisfying when you see yourself with hair that long.

Fantak
November 28th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I've been about an inch away from classic for the past 6 months, so I'm not actually qualified to comment, but I will anyway...

The biggest thing I have noticed since tailbone is that my ends are thinner, more see through and they tangle more easily. I trimmed a few inches in June to get a more even hemline which was lovely, but as it grew, it thinned out yet again :(
Reading the TB to classic thread, it seems that a lot of people are like me; people there seem to take longer to get to their goal because they need to trim their ends more often.

Apart from that, I haven't noticed much difference between nearly classic and TB; the buns I could do at TB, I can still do. The buns I was starting to have too much hair to do are still difficult. I think this is linked to the thin ends.

I always wear my hair up, so I haven't had any problems with sitting on it (me on anyone else)

I don't think I'll ever look like a princess, but there is something very satisfying when you see yourself with hair that long.

Sorry to butt in but I couldn't help asking.. I'm at TB growing to classic atm and have very thin ends. Sometimes I think I should trim a few inches off and that way the thicker hemline will move down, but other times I realise I never really had a thick hemline and if I keep trimming back I will never get to classic!

If I understood right it's a common problem and I should just push on to classic?

Thank you ^.^ thanks OP for the great question!

white.chocolate
November 28th, 2012, 12:11 PM

With my hair I find classic a more comfortable length when doing buns because there is just more length to tuck in, making the buns more stable. Also, doing faux crownbraids are easier because you will most often have enough length to completely go around your head.

Sorry to butt in but I couldn't help asking.. I'm at TB growing to classic atm and have very thin ends. Sometimes I think I should trim a few inches off and that way the thicker hemline will move down, but other times I realise I never really had a thick hemline and if I keep trimming back I will never get to classic!

If I understood right it's a common problem and I should just push on to classic?

Thank you ^.^ thanks OP for the great question!

I think you should just reach classic first and then decide then on if you want to remain at classic.

WaitingSoLong
November 28th, 2012, 01:18 PM
The thinning ends is a real problem after TBL. I know I have it. If I cut back to TBL my hemline is SO much thicker. But I think part of that is nearing terminal, even if term is at calf, the taper starts after waist for me, it seems like.

It would appear to be a better choice to grow several inches past your real goal and trim back for the thicker hemline. I trimmed back to TBL last October from Classic, thickened my hemline, but upon reaching Classic again, it is just as thin as before and I knwo I do get some breakage but there are no splits this time. Last time I had a lot. I am curious, as I actually press PAST Classic this time, if any of the thickness will move down the length.

Darkessa
November 28th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I am absolutely loving this thread!
Its so inspiring to me!

Also, I would have to say what pretty much everyone is... Just grow to Classic, and you can always cut it back to TBL with the benefit of an incredible hemline!!
Also, if tapering is an issue, just continue to grow until you can trim back to Classic for a better hemline. And of course there is always microtrimming.

luxepiggy
November 28th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I've been back and forth between hip, tailbone & classic several times, and in my experience, I didn't notice much of a difference between tailbone & classic in terms of the overall hair "experience"... pretty much anything you can do with TBL hair you can do with CL hair as well. If you're curious, why not give it a try? You can always cut back to TBL if you decide CL is not for you (^(oo)^)v

WaitingSoLong
November 29th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Luxepiggy I was always curious why you do not grow past Classic?

HintOfMint
November 30th, 2012, 01:02 AM
JamieLeigh, what a fantastic post! Thank you! I guess my big thing is whether I want to look like a princess or not, lol. It varies, to be honest!

As for the "butt crack" problems, I'm actually pretty squicked out by the idea, but that happens no matter how long my hair is, if I just leave it hanging down my back in the shower. Whenever I'm washing it, I always have it draped over my shoulder or pinned up on top of my head (when it's slathered in conditioner), so the shed hairs either stay in until I remove them with my fingers, or whatever escapes runs down my legs instead of into the crack. I also have gotten into the habit of putting on underwear before I let my hair go down my back. Let's just say, I'm very well aware of the problem!

I think I'll ask for just a half-inch trim the next time I go to the salon and see where it goes from there.

morrigan*
November 30th, 2012, 03:54 AM
I want to be like princess :wail:

Tootsie
December 10th, 2012, 04:02 PM

I just want to say that your pic showing your hair for 4 Januaries in a row gives me hope. I am currently similar to your January '07 pic and I lose hope often that I will just "never get there" but now I know it's possible :). Thanks!!

jojo
December 12th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Gosh, I can only dream of TB, let alone classic! To be honest, from what I've read here, I get the impression that once you are past around waist it shouldnt make tooooooo much difference. If you are caring for long hair already, whats a few more inches? ;) The good thing is you can always cut back if its not for you, whereas if you dont push for it, you'll never know...
Theres a bit more than a few inches between waist and classic, 16" in my case. Ive never been classic but its where im aiming for, id imagine you need to wear it up 100% of the time, it would tangle more and possibly thinner ends but im going to try anyway, can always trim back to TB if its too hard to handle.

WaitingSoLong
December 12th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Theres a bit more than a few inches between waist and classic, 16" in my case. Ive never been classic but its where im aiming for, id imagine you need to wear it up 100% of the time, it would tangle more and possibly thinner ends but im going to try anyway, can always trim back to TB if its too hard to handle.

Ahh but CAN YOU? I can't seem to. Can't...let...it...go...
And how will I ever know if FTL is better than Classic that way? Arrrgghhhh!!!

TheHowlingWolf
December 12th, 2012, 02:33 PM
My GL is classic! Though, I may be content with TBL, idk I'll know when I get there. But for now, I really want CL! Right now I'm at WL, I have about 9-12 inches to go. The reason I say that is because sometimes my hair is more curly and sometimes my hair is more relaxed waves so either way I would want my hair to be around classic length

Mountaingrrl
December 12th, 2012, 02:42 PM
This thread makes me want to grow to classic!

rock007junkie
December 12th, 2012, 03:14 PM
This thread makes me want to grow to classic!

Same here. I want to be a princess too!

Ebrox
December 12th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I'm a couple of inches past TB and can't wait to get to Classic!
but I already feel like a princess.. :queen:

hotshot0121
December 12th, 2012, 06:15 PM
pros- you have more hair to play with, do different styles, and impress people with
cons- it takes longer to take care of it

LadyLongLocks
December 16th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Once you hit classic you have a harder time because now you sit on your hair. At this point, I started wearing it up. I would cut it back to avoid sitting on it for years. At classic the hair now hangs free and away from the body more. Any thinning hem is more noticeable.

skyblue
December 16th, 2012, 04:00 AM
I just have a tiny bit to go and I'll be there...so far I don't see the cons, well other then my very thin hem, but I wear it up almost all the time so I don't see it and no one else does either giggles! I figure the thicker parts will catch up sooner or later ;)

ladylovecraft
December 22nd, 2012, 02:56 PM
I've just now reached hip-length, and while TBL is still my goal I've been thinking about reevaluating once I maintain at TBL and thicken up my ends a bit... classic is just so exceptionally pretty, and since I'm a nurse I have to wear my hair up to work anyway. My only concern with the difference would be that I love wearing my hair down at home, and there's a much higher chance of sitting on your hair constantly with classic. I'm sure that can't be very healthy for it.

Who knows, I'll probably wind up growing to classic anyway and then just trimming up to where I'm comfortable.

MrsGuther
December 22nd, 2012, 03:07 PM
I'm about five inches from classic currently. Can't wait to see what CL looks like on me! :) Im so excited to have made it this far (I've gone from APL to TBL+1 inch in 2 years and five months). Happy growing everyone!

Sillage
December 22nd, 2012, 03:33 PM
I don't know if I could handle Classic-- that's a lot of hair!

Iolanthe13
December 22nd, 2012, 03:49 PM
This is really tempting me to grow to classic - my mother would always trim my hair to hip when it grew to TBL (for convenience, really), but the taper wasn't that bad. Could probably get there from ~waist length in another two years...

torrilin
December 22nd, 2012, 04:02 PM
I don't know if I could handle Classic-- that's a lot of hair!

*shrug* My hair looks to be a similar type to yours, and while there was definitely a learning curve to waist length hair, it hasn't been all bad. Somewhere in that nebulous "past waist" length, my hair stopped floating quite so much, so wearing it down isn't torture anymore. I do it more often than I did at shorter lengths really. With how my hair floats, down is a tangly hell if my hair is past chin length, so the change is really nice.

I don't anticipate going past classic, but I mostly grow my hair due to being lazy about trims, so we'll see. If I stick with my average 1-2" trimmed per year, I'll hit terminal without meaning to eventually :P. If the trims stay up over 50% of my growth rate, I might manage the semblance of maintaining... I figure there's no rush to figure it out. It's not like my hair will magically stop growing when my braid wraps around my head or something.

There are definitely 1b-1c/F/ii posters who are past classic, and it generally looks fantastic.

Sillage
December 22nd, 2012, 04:15 PM
Good to know, Torrilin!

Vintagecoilylocks
December 22nd, 2012, 04:25 PM
Pro --I want to look and feel like a princess, I will be able to stop worrying about whether I can grow to Classic.

Con-- of reaching Classic, I will get hair anorexia and start worrying about can I grow to FTP.

Vintagecoilylocks
December 22nd, 2012, 04:32 PM
Its time for a Cinnamon Hair review. She did one major cut to get started then she did regular trims and her thickness slowly moved down. I believe she began to maintain at knee for the thickness to really fill in. Her story was such an inspiration to me and gave hope that as long as it is still gaining length the thickness will keep moving down. Patients

Dark40
April 12th, 2019, 07:36 PM
I also think that growing your hair to classic length is awesome too! That is a lovely length! I wish that right now I was at TBL or closer to HL. But I know that someday I will get there. Patience is the key to hair growing.

Aerya
April 13th, 2019, 02:32 AM
I also think that growing your hair to classic length is awesome too! That is a lovely length! I wish that right now I was at TBL or closer to HL. But I know that someday I will get there. Patience is the key to hair growing.

This is a thread from 2012, hopefully OP has made up her mind by now! ;)

SwanFeathers
April 13th, 2019, 08:18 AM

Yeah but sometimes we get bored and dig up topics to talk about. Plus there are a lot of New members who havent seen the old threads.

Aerya
April 13th, 2019, 09:05 AM
Yeah but sometimes we get bored and dig up topics to talk about. Plus there are a lot of New members who havent seen the old threads.

I know, I was just making a little joke since it seemed like she was replying to the OP from 2012! :)

Dark40
April 13th, 2019, 04:08 PM

Ok, I see. Yes, hopefully OP has made up her mind by now is right! :D I know some of these threads are old on here. I've been a member since 2010. :) I hadn't realized thaqt this thread was dated back since 2012.

zmirina
April 14th, 2019, 10:01 PM
I think the main benefit of CL is the princessy feeling, as well as your hair being a very good blanket

gghh
February 26th, 2023, 07:21 PM
This thread always fills me with hope for the future - just thinking about the small changes that will come from being at classic makes me happy! I wonder if there is a thread like this for classic to knee length? Am curious to hear about the changes that come along the way, the things you guys love or don’t love about the length, etc

BVU
February 26th, 2023, 08:08 PM
This thread always fills me with hope for the future - just thinking about the small changes that will come from being at classic makes me happy! I wonder if there is a thread like this for classic to knee length? Am curious to hear about the changes that come along the way, the things you guys love or don’t love about the length, etc

There's always the classic to knee thread.. but I personally didn't see much of a difference until it got to calf. At that point I had to full on bend over to grab the ends lmfao

gghh
February 26th, 2023, 08:43 PM
There's always the classic to knee thread.. but I personally didn't see much of a difference until it got to calf. At that point I had to full on bend over to grab the ends lmfao

Yeah that’s something I’ve been trying to understand - how to detangle my curly hair once it’s past my fingertips. I have to get there first, though

BVU
February 26th, 2023, 08:54 PM
Yeah that’s something I’ve been trying to understand - how to detangle my curly hair once it’s past my fingertips. I have to get there first, though

Its generally something people learn on the way. Everyone's hair is different afterall. I use to sit down and put my hair across my lap, and finger detangled it that way when i got bored. Maybe that will help with curls?

gghh
February 26th, 2023, 11:01 PM
Its generally something people learn on the way. Everyone's hair is different afterall. I use to sit down and put my hair across my lap, and finger detangled it that way when i got bored. Maybe that will help with curls?

Maybe, though I won’t know for sure until I get there myself. Shrinkage might be helpful here, because even when I detangle with oil or flaxseed gel, my hair still doesn’t stretch to its full length

Bat
February 27th, 2023, 12:22 AM
OP cut back up to bsl after keratin straightening around 2015, I checked their older posts like a real stalker xD who knows about now though 2015 was a while ago!

barnet_fair
February 27th, 2023, 04:10 AM

I'm looking forward to being able to detangle hair in a more relaxed position. At HL I can sit in a chair and bring my ends to the front, but my forearms still need to be raised.

lapushka
February 27th, 2023, 08:25 AM
I am in a bit of a pickle.

I have iii hair, and classic was way to short to bun and still I did bun because I thought I could, as of hip length even. It was getting to thick to stick my hair into a claw back then. Maybe I should have changed the styles up more. But I am back to almost BSL with a lot of breakage to boot. I had almost wrist-thick ponytails and now they are as thin as a sharpie. Only my mid-lengths to lengths are affected, so it's not the bunning in essence, just the twisting that did it. :hmm:

ReadingRenee
February 27th, 2023, 11:21 AM
OP cut back up to bsl after keratin straightening around 2015, I checked their older posts like a real stalker xD who knows about now though 2015 was a while ago!

Thanks for satisfying our curiosity Bat! I have to admit, I was wondering what happened with the OP. :lol:

fairy_hair
February 27th, 2023, 01:32 PM

I have iii hair, and classic was way to short to bun and still I did bun because I thought I could, as of hip length even. It was getting to thick to stick my hair into a claw back then. Maybe I should have changed the styles up more. But I am back to almost BSL with a lot of breakage to boot. I had almost wrist-thick ponytails and now they are as thin as a sharpie. Only my mid-lengths to lengths are affected, so it's not the bunning in essence, just the twisting that did it. :hmm:

Wait, so you think the twisting caused the damage/thinning, not the bunning? What else were you twisting your hair for other than bunning? Just curious as I'm also growing back to classic except this time with my twisted bun rather than the plait or plated bun I wore before. Please clarify as now I am terrified! :'D

Shug
February 27th, 2023, 03:33 PM
Wait, so you think the twisting caused the damage/thinning, not the bunning? What else were you twisting your hair for other than bunning? Just curious as I'm also growing back to classic except this time with my twisted bun rather than the plait or plated bun I wore before. Please clarify as now I am terrified! :'D
I’ve been wearing my hair in a bun practically everyday from shoulder length to classic and I haven’t experienced any issues with thinning.

lapushka
February 27th, 2023, 04:22 PM

Nope just for bunning; wore it down at night.

lapushka
February 27th, 2023, 04:23 PM
I’ve been wearing my hair in a bun practically everyday from shoulder length to classic and I haven’t experienced any issues with thinning.

It is the way I bunned, not necessarily a "general" thing. It's down to *me* and me alone. Classic may not work for me.

lapis_lazuli
February 27th, 2023, 05:18 PM

Lapushka, I'm curious, when you say twist do you mean twirling the hair on itself as you wound it around or just wrapping the hair 'straight'? I suppose both could cause damage if done too tight, or without enough length as you say. I'm so sorry that happened to you :flower:

lapushka
February 27th, 2023, 05:41 PM
Lapushka, I'm curious, when you say twist do you mean twirling the hair on itself as you wound it around or just wrapping the hair 'straight'? I suppose both could cause damage if done too tight, or without enough length as you say. I'm so sorry that happened to you :flower:

Well, I hope I can describe accurately how I did it. I gathered my hair in a ponytail, loose, and held my hand on it (no elastic), then I looped my hand in it and doubled the loop (nautilus) and twisted it on itself... quite tightly I might add, but I thought it wouldn't do a thing to my hair; boy, was I wrong eh? Thanks, lapis. :)

Dark40
February 27th, 2023, 07:35 PM
Just lurking this thread! Hopefully, someday soon I will have reached classic length! I think I will enjoy the journey of getting there, and having it there!

foreveryours
February 27th, 2023, 08:17 PM
When I grew to classic I didn't even know what "classic" hair was. I only knew that my hair was becoming progressively harder and harder to work with. That's why I came here, to learn how y'all do it. Now I'm well passed classic

angel-baby
February 27th, 2023, 09:17 PM
Just lurking this thread! Hopefully, someday soon I will have reached classic length! I think I will enjoy the journey of getting there, and having it there!

Came here to say this! I've been close to Classic three times (tailbone 2x, more than halfway down my butt once) and did big chops every time for truly the dumbest of reasons. Luckily I really do enjoy the growing journey, and this time I'm staying out of my own way so I can finally reach my goal. I hope you enjoy your journey, too :)

Bat
February 27th, 2023, 11:13 PM
Thanks for satisfying our curiosity Bat! I have to admit, I was wondering what happened with the OP. :lol:

It's interesting how people just vanish without a lead up to them going I try not to think about it since I'm morbid and wonder if they died zz might be a character flaw xD

Bri-Chan
February 28th, 2023, 02:24 AM
All those 'I want to look like a princess' comments make me not wanting to reach classic ever again in my whole life :p
The con I can think of is that you have to pay attention to not sit on your hair.

lapushka
February 28th, 2023, 05:01 AM
I always thought that the "Princess stage" was knee or floor. :)

Bri-Chan
February 28th, 2023, 05:59 AM
I don't think I've ever associated long hair with princesses, actually. More with elves.

LongLocke
February 28th, 2023, 08:49 AM
I don't think I've ever associated long hair with princesses, actually. More with elves.

Elves, vikings, warrior tribes. There's a lot of great things to associate long hair with.

Ylva
March 1st, 2023, 05:00 AM
All those 'I want to look like a princess' comments make me not wanting to reach classic ever again in my whole life :p

Ooh, same same. Even as a kid, I was never drawn to any princess fantasy. I’ve never wanted to look like a princess or dreamed of being one. Besides, most of them throughout history have been inbred anyway.

I get called a fairy with my long hair now and it’s so infuriating. Definitely NOT a compliment to me.

paulownia
March 1st, 2023, 05:35 AM
Ooh, same same. Even as a kid, I was never drawn to any princess fantasy. I’ve never wanted to look like a princess or dreamed of being one. Besides, most of them throughout history have been inbred anyway.

I get called a fairy with my long hair now and it’s so infuriating. Definitely NOT a compliment to me.

Definitely not a princess;)
Ok, maybe I could make an exception for princess Leia;)
I never had classic and I'm not sure if I stand a chance to get to waist but for me long hair associates more with witches and their way of being free and powerful.
* go and fetch my cauldron *:magic::henny:

Bri-Chan
March 1st, 2023, 05:41 AM
I was called nymph/fairy/elf of the woods when my hair was blue/teal/violet but that had definitely to do with the color, since I was in the APL-MBL range, an average length where I live.

To me, if the hair is both long and very dark I associate it with vampires.

Ylva
March 1st, 2023, 10:59 AM
Definitely not a princess;)
Ok, maybe I could make an exception for princess Leia;)
I never had classic and I'm not sure if I stand a chance to get to waist but for me long hair associates more with witches and their way of being free and powerful.
* go and fetch my cauldron *:magic::henny:

I can get behind witch. :D :stirpot:

I was called nymph/fairy/elf of the woods when my hair was blue/teal/violet but that had definitely to do with the color, since I was in the APL-MBL range, an average length where I live.

The weird thing is that there is one person who calls me a wood nymph and it feels more okay when he does it. I think it may be because he is so masculine in some ways so there is a clear distinction, but if I am feminised to be blended into a certain group then I react negatively to that. And when I talk about cutting my hair, I always go back to being compared to a certain other person, so I really feel the need to create some contrast in many ways.

This is sparking so many thoughts in me regarding gender identity and how I was raised in a family environment where gender stereotypes played absolutely no role whatsoever. I don’t want to delve deeper into gender identity matters, though, out of fear of being misunderstood because I don’t have the energy right now to explain the details and reasoning behind my thinking. Maybe some other time.

SandyBottom
March 1st, 2023, 11:42 AM
Classic is a length I loved but struggled to get beyond due to damaged ends from years of not knowing any better. There's a reason it's called Classic Length. It's a classic and it's beautiful. According to Wikipedia:"A classic is an outstanding example of a particular style; something of lasting worth or with a timeless quality; of the first or highest quality, class, or rank – something that exemplifies its class."

angel-baby
March 1st, 2023, 10:14 PM

I am totally here for having princess hair, but I feel the same about having vampire hair! Both times I had tailbone length hair, it was dyed black and I got vampire comments all the time. I loved it.

If my natural color comes in dark, maybe I'll end up with vampire princess hair

tuanyiji
March 1st, 2023, 11:02 PM
lol That’s definitely a cultural thing.
Growing up watching Chinese ancient/historical drama, especially Wuxia and Xianxia drama, possessing 1ab/iii hip to fingertip length hair is just considered "the norm" here, male or female, fairy or devilish characters.

For example, this is the show - The Starry Love (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWZMW_HiZ-0) - i’ve been binging recently, and only 2 of the 10 characters have short hair (shoulder length). You rarely find anyone with a buzz cut in any of these shows.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1001725273378668557/1080732928566362144/IMG_2955.png
I enjoy these shows and get inspired from their hairstyles and costumes, and the more I watch, the longer I want my hair to be and never want to trim it.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1001725273378668557/1080735355675869194/IMG_2957.jpg
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1001725273378668557/1080735355914952784/IMG_2958.jpg
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1001725273378668557/1080735356183379968/IMG_2959.jpg
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1001725273378668557/1080735566624194620/IMG_2960.jpg
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1001725273378668557/1080736114274467840/IMG_2956.jpg

BVU
March 2nd, 2023, 06:46 AM
I have always loved Chinese people with long hair wearing hanfu, it's soooo satisfying and flowy. The long hair always seems to compliment their features too, maybe thats why the men are so pretty lol. And does that last woman's pink bird actually appear in the show? Could be cool to see with cgi.

Edit: Bird is in show, my life is complete

tuanyiji
March 2nd, 2023, 07:42 AM
I have always loved Chinese people with long hair wearing hanfu, it's soooo satisfying and flowy. The long hair always seems to compliment their features too, maybe thats why the men are so pretty lol. And does that last woman's pink bird actually appear in the show? Could be cool to see with cgi.

Edit: Bird is in show, my life is complete
My closet is full of hanfu, and I'm an aspiring historical hairstylist.

LOL, yes, her name is Manman (means slow slow) and she is THE BIRD, she can shapeshift.
And keep watching and you will see the young man in the middle is also a shapeshifter, even though he claims to be a wolf, he is actually a cute lil Samoyed puppy.

The main characters, the twin sisters' name are night-blooming epiphyllum and green sunflower, just the opposite.

fairy_hair
March 2nd, 2023, 11:21 AM
Well, I hope I can describe accurately how I did it. I gathered my hair in a ponytail, loose, and held my hand on it (no elastic), then I looped my hand in it and doubled the loop (nautilus) and twisted it on itself... quite tightly I might add, but I thought it wouldn't do a thing to my hair; boy, was I wrong eh? Thanks, lapis. :)

I see now! Sorry this happened to you. It's good to hear others who have grown long hair with a twisted bun. It sounds like the key must be to make sure it's always as loose as we can get away with. :) I actually have tried bunning with just a stick or fork, and found that the only way to get my hair to stay for more than 10 minutes in one of those buns is if it's pretty tight, and so I now avoid those as I could feel they were tight compared to my claw clip buns, which I can hardly feel at all and stay day and night. Different hair possibly works with sticks alone without needing to be tight, but not mine and it's definitely not worth hairless.

lapushka
March 2nd, 2023, 11:56 AM
I see now! Sorry this happened to you. It's good to hear others who have grown long hair with a twisted bun. It sounds like the key must be to make sure it's always as loose as we can get away with. :) I actually have tried bunning with just a stick or fork, and found that the only way to get my hair to stay for more than 10 minutes in one of those buns is if it's pretty tight, and so I now avoid those as I could feel they were tight compared to my claw clip buns, which I can hardly feel at all and stay day and night. Different hair possibly works with sticks alone without needing to be tight, but not mine and it's definitely not worth hairless.

Mind you, I bunned 24/7 bar on wash day, so a lot a lot!

fairy_hair
March 2nd, 2023, 12:04 PM
Mind you, I bunned 24/7 bar on wash day, so a lot a lot!

Hahaha same!! 6am bun for work, down for 2 secs and top bun for bath, sometimes left like that for sleeping, unless I decide to change it up for a scrunchie bun to sleep :'D that's why I'm scared of any chance that I'm damaging my hair with that bun, since it's almost my only hairstyle. Might wear it down at home on the weekends, until I'm hoovering or cleaning, or going anywhere and then it's in another bun! It's almost, what's the point of it being long if it's always up, but I really enjoy putting it up and seeing the waves when I take it down :')

Bat
March 2nd, 2023, 12:46 PM
I can get behind witch. :D :stirpot:

The weird thing is that there is one person who calls me a wood nymph and it feels more okay when he does it. I think it may be because he is so masculine in some ways so there is a clear distinction, but if I am feminised to be blended into a certain group then I react negatively to that. And when I talk about cutting my hair, I always go back to being compared to a certain other person, so I really feel the need to create some contrast in many ways.

This is sparking so many thoughts in me regarding gender identity and how I was raised in a family environment where gender stereotypes played absolutely no role whatsoever. I don’t want to delve deeper into gender identity matters, though, out of fear of being misunderstood because I don’t have the energy right now to explain the details and reasoning behind my thinking. Maybe some other time.

I'd be happy to hear about your gender identity and experiences if you ever felt up for it. I'm sure I'd understand, I went from Female to Trans Masc to Androgyne Agender in a space of 6 years so if anyone who'd understand it would be me

Ylva
March 3rd, 2023, 05:17 AM
I'd be happy to hear about your gender identity and experiences if you ever felt up for it. I'm sure I'd understand, I went from Female to Trans Masc to Androgyne Agender in a space of 6 years so if anyone who'd understand it would be me

Perhaps I can tell you about it somewhere privately sometime. :)

Bat
March 3rd, 2023, 09:59 PM
Perhaps I can tell you about it somewhere privately sometime. :)

Any time, no pressure though!