PDA

View Full Version : 2 Years of Hair Growth! But my curl/wave pattern is disappearing...

ladyleelu
November 23rd, 2012, 02:25 AM
*Note: Apologies for the creepy photobucket edits. I got carried away.*

Thought I'd post something cheery first. I spent much of my time lurking on here, as well as on naturallycurly, searching for tips, advice, enablement of delusions that my hair would grow 5" overnight, and for the subsequent weeks of distraction. Not to mention the friends I persistently annoyed during the hair-growing process... (Thank you!) So here is where I started, 2 years ago!

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn34/anonymouslystupid/newomg.jpg

And a good hair day last week! Excuse the wonky bangs, they need a trim. I've had about ~5 trims excluding the required pixie-shaping (which took place every two weeks when I first started growing out! eugh)

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn34/anonymouslystupid/sunface.jpg

Now for the not so cheery... My curl pattern is dwindling to barely-there waves, with the above picture showing my hair at its best. I'm not sure if it's a combination of the products I'm using or if my hair has just gotten heavy and needs some layering. General routine: Shampoo every 1-2 weeks (Suave Rosemary Mint), otherwise vo5 Clarifying or Nourishing co-wash. Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Styling Milk as a leave-in. Jojoba to seal. Any ideas? Is my hair weighed down? Will it only get worse as it grows out? *panics* :( Here's a pic of it right now:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn34/anonymouslystupid/croppp.jpg

I'm not sure if I need a haircut or product revamping. I'd rather be able to get my curls back without *needing* to pin-curl or diffuse.. but if that's expected of longer hair, then I'll have to work on it :p Advice, product, and style recs appreciated! Thank you!!

RedheadMistress
November 23rd, 2012, 02:44 AM
- It could be weighed down . What is it like when you clarify and airdry it ?

ladyleelu
November 23rd, 2012, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the quick reply! The last pic is after clarifying but still damp. Right now, it's frizzy and the waves on the upper layer are minimal (the under layer is much wavier/curlier). It feels soft and looks a bit fluffy.

I forgot to mention - I do pre-poos and DTs every week, so I'm not sure if it's a moisture thing. I did try a protein treatment and that didn't seem to help.

Is there much I can do to prevent my hair from being weighed down?

Alexblue
November 23rd, 2012, 03:37 AM
Have you tried plopping (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/to-plop-or-not-to-plop)? That will really bring out the curls :-)

To me it sounds like you may need to tweak your products, especially as variables like weather, season, hard/soft water can all affect the curl-factor. I find this time of year, I need to use a different conditioner (I also CO-wash) and less oil.

Love your hair in all the photos. Funny but I have a similar hair routine to you :-)

ladyleelu
November 23rd, 2012, 10:52 AM
I'd love to hear your routine, AlexBlue! :)

I wonder if our hard water is getting to me.... Also, I used to plop but I haven't in a while! I totally forgot about it. I'll give it a try the next wash :D Thank you!

DancingQueen
November 23rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
That is some amazing growth you got there - I wish my hair would grow that fast!

It sounds like it is just weighed down - some hair just gets less curly when it gets longer. :)

neko_kawaii
November 23rd, 2012, 04:05 PM
My hair has much more wave/curl to it when it is about shoulder length but at hip it barely has any wave unless I use time intensive curly girl techniques on it. Good luck finding something that works for you!

Wahinee
November 23rd, 2012, 07:05 PM
My hair is the same as yours, I actually have a very similar routine to yours as well. I think my hair is at its curliest around collarbone or shoulder length, beyond that it just gets stretched out. I always air dry my hair in braids now just to get some waves. I think i've given up on being able to work with my natural texture at this length.

spirals
November 23rd, 2012, 09:53 PM
Ever since I started using a citric acid rinse on every wash, my curl has been out of control.

ladyleelu
November 23rd, 2012, 11:50 PM
Okay, a little experimenting... I think you ladies are right. It's weighed down :x Dancing Queen - It took so much work, I never thought I'd have the patience (and currently losing patience with the increased amount of haircare O____O) but thank you! Neko-kawaii: thank you <3

Wahinee - I tried rewetting my hair (just enough to be damp) and tried some twists + braids... Holy ----! I think I might have to do this more often. They're not my natural style curls (which, to be fair, are crazy and all over the place) but my goodness. Does this work on longer hair as well?

Spirals - thanks for the citric acid idea! I've never heard of it but I've been thinking of doing lemon rinses to clarify anyway... I suppose salt might help with the waves as well, but then dryness freaks me out. Do you apply anything special to your hair/ends after doing one of these rinses?

I like that before getting tips & tricks, I'm at such a loss of what to do and so frustrated, I don't want to try anymore (was going through one of those... "hmm do I really want unspun wool?" so many fantasies of shearing)... But give me some interesting ideas, and I'm perked up and on board again! Love it! Thank you :)

jacqueline101
November 24th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Your hair looks lovely.