PDA

View Full Version : How to treat wavy hair?

JadeTigress
November 21st, 2012, 03:35 PM
Hi everyone. I tried to do a search on how to care for wavy hair, but I was just getting confused. :p

I have what I think is 1b/1c hair, fine, and probably on the low end of ii (who knows, it could be a i now...I'm going through a massive shed again).

Anyway, I think that maybe my hair is wavier than I think it is. I tried doing the CG method one time, and I didn't even really do it right, I just tried to do what I could with what I had on hand at the time, and I wound up with some very nice waves, and even a little spiral one side of my head. So if I continue to encourage the waves, I think the results could be pretty awesome. Problem is, I can't CO all the time (I'd be afraid to do it more than once a week), it just makes my scalp too greasy and I shed like a mad woman. And my shedding is bad enough right now, I don't want to make it any worse. So going straight up CG won't work for me.

But I've read more than a few times in various places on this forum that wavy hair needs to be treated different from both straight and curly hair. But how exactly it needs to be taken care of is where I'm getting confused.

My current routine is to to wash every 2 or 3 days or so with white Dove soap (using it as a shampoo bar...it's ok, but I don't like it as well as actual shampoo bars so I'm going to switch back), followed by an ACV rinse, blot out some water with a towel, and let it air dry. I don't typically use conditioner unless I'm doing a deep treatment (usually with GFTN, the ONLY conditioner my hair and scalp respond well to). I find that the ACV rinse detangles and softens and works way better than any conditioner ever has in my hair (with the exception of the GFTN), without weighing my fine hair down and making it look stringy and greasy.

Also, I just decided to start doing an experiment today and put away my beloved tangle teezer, which pulls out any bit of wave I might have and just leaves me a bit poofy, and I'm going to try just finger combing for awhile and see if that helps me keep any texture.

So, I need your help, ladies. Is there anything I should or could be doing any differently, or anything I should be adding to my routine, to help encourage my waves? Just based on the results I got from the one time I did CG, I really think my hair has the potential to become a 2a, which is really exciting to me. I just have no idea how to go about making it happen without looking like a greaseball constantly.

battles
November 21st, 2012, 03:40 PM
If you have waves and a ringlet from trying a modified CG run once, it sounds like you could even be above a 2a.

I wish I had advice, but I'm in a similar boat. Just offering support, and I will be following along your thread.

Shebelina
November 21st, 2012, 05:23 PM
I'm still on a big learning curve with this as well, trying lots of new things to see what works. Like you may hair hates CO too, so I also use a modified version of the CG method. Do you use a leave in conditioner? It helps your hair to clump while you're scrunching it, I also add a little mineral oil and scrunch that in too.

If you want your hair to keep it's wave definition, you shouldn't really touch it at all. I only use my tangle teezer if I intend to wear it up, otherwise I brush my hair before or during my bath and leave it at that. I know how difficult this is, I have to constantly remind myself to leave it alone.

There's a wavy and wurly thread somewhere which I found really helpful too.

I hope this helps, good luck!

JadeTigress
November 21st, 2012, 05:36 PM
I don't think I've ever used a leave in conditioner to be honest, just a dab of oil on occasion. But I just found a thread talking about mixing aloe and coconut oil, which I though sounded interesting. Do you think that would make a good leave in, or should I try an actual leave in conditioner?

2peasinapod
November 21st, 2012, 06:41 PM
I have thick, wavy hair. What works best for me is only washing my hair a couple of times a week (I just go by how it feels). I use ACV or rice vinegar rinses. I put a bit of natural conditioner on my hair and finish with the vinegar rinse. I let my hair air dry and use coconut oil. I find my hair has more texture if it's properly oiled and moisturized. I don't detangle at all as it's drying and use a wide toothed wooden comb after its dry.

I've never used a leave in conditioner. My hair just soaks up the oils. I also use an egg treatment on occasion. I just beat an egg and spread it over my hair (after the vinegar rinse). I leave it on for about a minute and then rinse it out. The protein really brings out the texture and give me lots of waves!

I hope this helps!

JadeTigress
November 21st, 2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I really appreciate it. I've definitely got a few ideas to try now. :) But I do have another question. It makes sense to touch the hair as little as possible to help keep the wave, but how do I manage in the morning (which is really the only time I brush my hair, other than right before it gets washed)? When I wake up in the morning my hair's frizzy as can be and it's sticking out in every direction, even if I braid it, since my layers fall out. How can I deal with that without taking a brush or a comb or something to it?

tambalina
November 21st, 2012, 09:13 PM
Put down the brush, lol! Seriously, the only time I run a brush (or tangle teezer) through my hair is when it is wet and has a leave-in conditioner on it. Wavy hair is finicky. I have been following mod CG (no silicones unless I am using heat tools) for about 3 months now and have gone from a 1b to a 2a/b. for me, it has been trying out products and techniques to get the results I want. Right now I use V05 Vanilla Mint Tea or Tresemme Naturals Radiant Volume conditioners to CO. They are lighter and actually lather up for me if I use enough of it.

If I accidentally use a silicone or have product build-up, I low poo with Morrocan Argan Oil shampoo. For rinse out conditioners, I alternate between Biolage Conditioning Balm (or Sally's generic version) and Design Line Olive Oil conditioner (Regis Salon's brand.) For a leave in, I use a quarter-sized blob of either Kinky Curly Knot Today or Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle and Rose conditioner. To style, I use homemade Flaxseed Gel and AG: ReCoil Curl Activator and brush those products in with a Tangle Teezer. Flipping my hair upside down, I scrunch and squeeze all the water I can out of my hair with a microfiber towel or t-shirt. Then I plop for 10 minutes. Undo the plop, then I apply strong hold gel like BioSilk Rock Hard Gelee or Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel. Plop for another 20 minutes and then I diffuse with a bowl-diffuser on low until dry. Afterwards, I scrunch out the crunch of the gel. It makes a HUGE difference. Left is before, right is after:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/drummergrrl/CGMethod102512-BeforeAfter.jpg

It may seem like a lot, but I only wash and style 2 times a week. I was about to get a digital perm when I decided to see where my hair would go wavy. Each month I get better spirals. :) Just start experimenting and you'll find what works for you!! HTH!!

Wildcat Diva
November 21st, 2012, 11:52 PM
Ahhhh, plopping.

Colourful
November 22nd, 2012, 12:27 AM
You should definitely use conditioner. It is good for your hair, including waves.

How can I deal with that without taking a brush or a comb or something to it?

I'm sure there are some sprays or oils that can reduce that frizziness but personally I don't use any. I am so used to those wires that pop out of my braids and up-dos that I don't even bother. :P

Katze
November 22nd, 2012, 05:30 AM
I also have fine wavy hair (mixed from about 1b to 2b types, and mostly F with some M and C strands) and find it very, very difficult to care for. Married to a fine, thick-haired wavy/wurly guy I can say we fine haired wavies have, IMO, THE hardest hair types out there!

For me, some of the curly girl ideas work, but some (like no brushing, ever) don't. Brushing is the only way I can get my hair to look smooth, but it works best on dirtier - days 3, 4, 5 hair.

Washing, I rotate WO, CO, and CWC as clarifying/de-stringifying washes. I wash every 3-5 days, longer if my scalp can take it - then I can oil and do braided updos, which otherwise do not work on my messy, frizzy hair. SMTs work well for my hair, as does plopping, twisting, and damp bunning. Braids do NOT give me nice waves, but kinky bumps!

I generally 'enjoy' my freshly washed hair down if I've CO or WO washed, up and huge and messy if I've used shampoo (esp. sulfates) then the longer I go in my wash cycle, the smoother I can make updos so the more contained it becomes. I do have to use product to keep my hair presentable, and often mix gel or mousse with leave-in conditioner.

Yeah, leave-ins are your friend! Many people here swear by various exotic oils; I prefer leave-ins or Fox's Shea Cream, but have lately been very happy with what coconut oil (in SMALL amounts) does for my hair. BUT for fine hair you should never put conditioner or oil on the crown, as it will weigh it down - your mileage may vary.

Katze
November 22nd, 2012, 06:09 AM
...oh yeah, and since I don't blowdry or heat style, as I used to, I find sleeping with slightly damp hair (letting it dry while sleeping) plopped or in a lazy wrap bun encourages my waves...the bun is better because I can fingercomb my curlier bits smooth to tame them.

But literally, my hair is radically different every day and after every wash, and I never know how it is going to look from one day to another!

JadeTigress
November 22nd, 2012, 06:49 AM
Thank you so much, everyone! You guys are awesome! Another question: I try never to use heat on my hair, it happens maybe three times a year. Since I almost always wash my hair at night, would I get decent results if I just plopped overnight and shook my hair out a bit and added gel or whatever in the morning?

Katze
November 22nd, 2012, 07:01 AM
Thank you so much, everyone! You guys are awesome! Another question: I try never to use heat on my hair, it happens maybe three times a year. Since I almost always wash my hair at night, would I get decent results if I just plopped overnight and shook my hair out a bit and added gel or whatever in the morning?

That's exactly how I deal with my hair. I put gel in it when it looks good, usually the morning after a wash, and that helps it look good for the next few days. You might get good results, as I do, with gel mixed with a leave-in of your choice.

spidermom
November 22nd, 2012, 07:52 AM
I used to use a tiny bit of coconut or olive oil mixed with aloe vera gel, then finger-combed through my length, finishing with smoothing my palms over the surface of my hair to tame the surface frizz. Then I would let my hair air dry. I wouldn't comb or brush it until I was ready to put it up.

I've been using a spray-on leave in conditioner lately because it makes my hair so much easier to comb or brush, and I rarely wear it down because it's all over the place and gets in my way. After using the CWC method for years, I've gone back to simple diluted shampooing followed by conditioner.

JadeTigress
November 22nd, 2012, 10:34 AM
So, I couldn't resist the urge to start experimenting. It was both successful, and not so much. :p I heavily oiled with olive oil (which I'd never used before), let it sit for forever, and CO'd it out. But I didn't realize until I already had oil everywhere that I had probably half the amount of conditioner left in the bottle that I would use to get that much oil out. :p But I made due, let it sit for about 20 minutes, and rinsed it out. Then I followed up with Garnier's Triple Nutrition 3 Minute Undo, let that sit for a few minutes, rinsed, and did my usual ACV rinse. I blotted dry and scrunched with a towel (I'll be prepared with a t shirt next time), and scrunched in some AVG.

I definitely didn't have enough conditioner to get all the oil out. BUT! I do have some waves, and even after I couldn't stand the drowned rat look and ran a comb through my hair (which didn't help at all), my waves are still there. But the funny thing is, is doesn't feel really greasy, it just looks that way. It also doesn't feel moisturized at all, which I thought was weird.

But atleast I have some waves, even if my hair does look absolutely dreadful. :p

RubyTuesday
November 22nd, 2012, 10:43 AM
As someone else said, my wavy long hair never looked the same from one day to the next. I could never be sure what results I was going to get from a wash and condition. Quite frustrating when you don't know how it is going to turn out.

I think back to when my hair looked lovely when I was about 14 (long while ago!) and I try to figure out what I used to do differently. I used to use a diffuser on my hair dryer and I sometimes used mousse. I never brushed it and only combed it when wet. It was long and in great condition.

Sometimes benign neglect really is your friend and sometimes a few 'bad' things aren't always so bad. Some heat now and again can be fine as long as the heat is not too high and does not fry your hair.

Good luck experimenting.

God, I've missed this forum

Wildcat Diva
November 22nd, 2012, 10:56 PM
Is there a official wavy thread already I wonder? Does anyone know?

leslissocool
November 23rd, 2012, 01:57 AM
I treat it like it's curly, but my hair is VERY close to curly, the bottom specially. I comb only, I like to do a lot of damp bunning so it looks more wavy.

Shebelina
November 23rd, 2012, 07:13 AM
Is there a official wavy thread already I wonder? Does anyone know?

It can be found here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31563). I mentioned it earlier in the thread but was too tired to dig it out at the time. I hope you find it as helpful as I have!