PDA

View Full Version : Such bad hair advice

pes3108
November 21st, 2012, 11:45 AM
http://www.stepbystep.com/how-to-make-thin-hair-look-thicker-10962/

I found this on pinterest .... pretty much everything on there is terrible advice! It is terrible to see things like this because people become so misinformed.

Sammich
November 21st, 2012, 11:47 AM
Worst. Advice. Ever.

Layers do nothing for volume, as far as thin hair is concerned. O.O

(I'mback!)

Bambi
November 21st, 2012, 12:00 PM
Brrrrr......:rolleyes:

MissAlida
November 21st, 2012, 12:02 PM
I believe the article does have many faults (like the advice to color your hair, or to wash it every day). But I have battled shedding for 4 years (stress induced, or so my doctor said), and lost half of my circumference,went form an upper ii to a very thin i, so I can say from experience, that mousse and upside-down blow drying does really make hair appear thicker.So does freshly washed hair (granted, washing it every day would be drying to your scalp). And I do this twice a week, and my hair is very healthy, you couldn't find a split in it even if you looked with a magnifying glass. I'm just saying, some things here on LHC are considered "bad", but after all, one might try going organic, or shampoo free, or WO, and end up going right back to S/Co. Feeling good in your skin is the most important thing after health, and no amount of mousse or hair spray will cause you more harm that the environment you live in, and the food you feed yourself. Just my 2 cents.:)

MonaMayfair
November 21st, 2012, 12:09 PM
I believe the article does have many faults (like the advice to color your hair, or to wash it every day). But I have battled shedding for 4 years (stress induced, or so my doctor said), and lost half of my circumference,went form an upper ii to a very thin i, so I can say from experience, that mousse and upside-down blow drying does really make hair appear thicker.So does freshly washed hair (granted, washing it every day would be drying to your scalp). And I do this twice a week, and my hair is very healthy, you couldn't find a split in it even if you looked with a magnifying glass. I'm just saying, some things here on LHC are considered "bad", but after all, one might try going organic, or shampoo free, or WO, and end up going right back to S/Co. Feeling good in your skin is the most important thing after health, and no amount of mousse or hair spray will cause you more harm that the environment you live in, and the food you feed yourself. Just my 2 cents.:)

I agree with you. And actually the only things in the article I disagree with, is that washing your hair every day (though I see where she's coming from, greasy hair looks flatter) and cutting your hair into a bob will make it appear thicker, that's ridiculous. If your hair's thin and long, it will still look thin cut into a bob (when I had my hair bobbed, it looked way thinner than it does now it's at waist.
I agree with the dyeing thing though, peroxide makes the hair shaft swell, and it does make hair feel thicker.

Sharysa
November 21st, 2012, 12:18 PM
As someone with extremely thick Filipino hair, I can definitely vouch that putting layers in it will THIN your hair, not thicken it.

Although there's a SLIGHT possibility that since a lot of layered hairstyles are styled to be chunky as opposed to lying flat, the article may have confused "people with layers style their hair to make it more noticeable" that with "layers make your hair look thicker."

There's also the slight possibility that since layers break up your hair's shape, it APPEARS thicker because it's not all ending at the same spot. Like how a zig-zag line looks longer/thicker than a plain straight one. But that's strictly a visual/aesthetic improvement, and only artists and hairstylists would be able to explain this.

redsonjared
November 21st, 2012, 12:22 PM
Probably the only thing I would agree with is number 9 about reducing brushing especially with one of those bobbly tipped hair brushes in the picture. But some of those other things do work for other people - WFYB really.

PrincessIdril
November 21st, 2012, 01:15 PM
What a load of nonsense, I fail to see how not brushing would help. When I brush my hair I know I'm not ripping hair out of my scalp (I'd notice that!) just removing hairs that have already been shed. Even if you don't brush them out all those shed hairs are still going to come out...

shutterpillar
November 21st, 2012, 01:37 PM
Had to stick up for the daily hair washers, here. Sometimes it is completely necessary to wash your hair with shampoo everyday. I usually do it every other day in the spring, fall and winter, but there are weeks in the summer where it is definitely needed. If I stop washing my hair and try to stretch my washes any further than every other day, I get horrible itching and red welts all over my head. Not cool, and definitely not a sign of a healthy scalp, which means that healthy hair will not grow from it.

I think it is most important to experiment and listen to your body. Everyone is different.

All that said... the article DID say it was trying to help "make thin hair LOOK thicker" not trying to actually make it thicker. But I can agree, much of the advice in the article is generally not good for people trying to have healthy hair.

RavennaNight
November 21st, 2012, 07:41 PM
Dye your hair (with chemicals I assume is what is implied) to make it more bulky. :rollin: Until it breaks off from chemical damage and makes it look like it is thinning.

ravenreed
November 21st, 2012, 09:02 PM
My hair had tons more body when it was chin-length. My classic length hair looks flat and thin in comparison. The weight of longer hair pulls all the waves right out.

I agree with you. And actually the only things in the article I disagree with, is that washing your hair every day (though I see where she's coming from, greasy hair looks flatter) and cutting your hair into a bob will make it appear thicker, that's ridiculous. If your hair's thin and long, it will still look thin cut into a bob (when I had my hair bobbed, it looked way thinner than it does now it's at waist.
I agree with the dyeing thing though, peroxide makes the hair shaft swell, and it does make hair feel thicker.

akilina
November 22nd, 2012, 10:42 AM
It has some faults...However I was not offended by this website??

I mean, I really dont see much wrong with the article... just because it does not really support an "LHC" style of hair care does not mean its rude, crude, socially unacceptable, or totally absurd.

The article doesn't say "how to get healthy hair" it said "how to make hair look thicker" !!!!!

MonaMayfair
November 22nd, 2012, 11:37 AM
My hair had tons more body when it was chin-length. My classic length hair looks flat and thin in comparison. The weight of longer hair pulls all the waves right out.

I suppose it's one of those things that depends on your individual hair type then. My hair is much fuller and wavier when long, than it was when I had it cut short, it gets wavier the longer it gets (though it does get straighter when I comb it)

I still don't see anything wrong with that article though, it's just about making hair APPEAR thicker, which is all most people are interested in.

lapushka
November 22nd, 2012, 04:30 PM
If your hair is thin, there's nothing you can do to make it thicker, except for putting extensions in perhaps. Thin hair is thin hair, period. I see this on my mom easily enough. She has F, thin hair. She's had it layered before and it doesn't magically make it thicker, it just looks different, but it's still thin.