PDA

View Full Version : How to weight your hair down?

SkyIsRed
November 21st, 2012, 01:16 AM
Recently I've made a bad decision of cutting my hair short.... After all the products applied by hairdresser washed off, I realized that I very much resemble a dandelion, with my curly-ish hair sticking out ill all directions away from my head. It looks like an unruly mess. What do I do to keep it down? I'm hoping for some easy solution like an anti-volume shampoo or conditioner, but interested in any suggestions:) Thanks!

duchesswannabe
November 21st, 2012, 04:30 AM
Try a little extra virgin olive oil as a leave-in "conditioner", but don't use too much because depending on your hair type, it can be difficult to wash out. I apply it to damp or dry hair, depending on the weather and how desperate I am to have it dry quickly. (Conditioners or oils on my hair make it dry more slowly and I don't normally use a blow dryer.) I don't know how it would react to a coney conditioner being applied first; I don't currently use cones.

Truth to tell, I have found cones to be a good "flattener" as well all on their own, perhaps the best. I have used Suave non-cone coconut conditioner first (not as a leave-in, just rinsing off in the shower as usual), then later on applying olive oil, and it does weigh my hair down a little more than just using the olive oil. I do use conventional shampoo before doing this. (I am currently experimenting with not using conditioner first and just applying olive oil as a leave-in.)

clairenewcastle
November 21st, 2012, 06:28 AM
I experimented with using flax seed gel on my hair last year - there are threads on how to make it, although all you do is soak the seeds in cold water then strain off the gloop that is produced - and found that it was good as a leave-in styling aid if I wanted my hair to be flatter.

ellen732
November 21st, 2012, 07:21 AM
I find that if you don't rinse your conditioner out all the way it will add some weight to the hair.

SkyIsRed
November 21st, 2012, 03:11 PM
Will leaving a conditioner in your hair make it greasy? Also what conditioner would you use?

spidermom
November 21st, 2012, 03:26 PM
I'd go straight for the styling gel. Or aloe vera gel.

HintOfMint
November 21st, 2012, 08:12 PM
When I cut my hair short, Aveda Universal Styling Creme helped keep down the poof like nothing else and it wasn't sticky or greasy. Perfect, in fact. I recently returned to it and I remember why I loved it so much. I have coarse, wavy, BIG hair and this loosened the curl and made it almost sleek. I really can't recommend it enough.

Bedhead
November 21st, 2012, 08:39 PM
I always find a toque (winter knitted hat) works well. Leave that on for 15 to half and hour and it should calm it down quite well.

Another suggestion is learn how to work with the curls and waves, and just fingercomb it with a bit of aloe.

Artisticat
November 22nd, 2012, 11:50 AM
I like Trader Joe's Jojoba Oil. It actually works better for my hair than coconut oil and I feel I have more control and don't end up "over oiled."

Katze
November 22nd, 2012, 12:14 PM
I don't know your hair type, but my hair (mostly fine) gets like this if I shampoo it too often. WO washing almost always gives 'weight' to my hair, and I alternate WO one wash, CO the next, then either WO or CO, or CWC if my hair is getting too stringy. I wash every 3-5 days, sometimes less.

A lot of conventional ideas about hair care (i.e. "shampoo, rinse, repeat") only make my hair flyaway and wispy, and that accentuates stringiness and makes my naturally thin ends look thinner and drier.

I also really like leave-ins - *light* oiling, only on the ends, or conditioner or Fox's Shea Cream in the length. Between washes, I usually oil or use leave-in at least once, less so between CO washes.

SkyIsRed
November 22nd, 2012, 03:04 PM
When I cut my hair short, Aveda Universal Styling Creme helped keep down the poof like nothing else and it wasn't sticky or greasy. Perfect, in fact. I recently returned to it and I remember why I loved it so much. I have coarse, wavy, BIG hair and this loosened the curl and made it almost sleek. I really can't recommend it enough.

is this (http://www.aveda.com/product/5222/16649/Collections/BrilliantTM/Brilliant-Universal-Styling-Creme/index.tmpl) the one?

My hair is very fine and fluffy. Plus it gets greasy very easily, so I'm rather hesitant about oils or butters...

PinkyCat
November 22nd, 2012, 04:44 PM
Your har type sounds similar to mine. Is it type 2 wavy, or type 3 curly? Do you want the curls elongated or just defined? Have you researched the CG method at all?

SkyIsRed
November 22nd, 2012, 06:10 PM
My hair looks wavy when long, but in short haircut they tend to curl. Right now I don't really care if I keep the curls or flatten them, as long as I keep them down, and not pointing right up :silly:

SkyIsRed
November 22nd, 2012, 06:18 PM
And no, I havent looked into CG... Website won't even let me search two letters only:) What does it stand for? Could you point me to a proper thread please?

cooklaezo13
November 22nd, 2012, 07:09 PM
CG stands for Curly Girl. It is a haircare method developed by Lorraine Massey.

PinkyCat
November 22nd, 2012, 07:27 PM
Take a look here: www.naturallycurly.com
Really good info for curlies & wavies. The forum atmosphere is a bit different though.

Lilli
November 23rd, 2012, 06:48 AM
Lots of silicone products will flatten my hair quite quickly.

SkyIsRed
November 23rd, 2012, 02:22 PM
Lots of silicone products will flatten my hair quite quickly.

What products for example? Have you used any particular ones?

HintOfMint
November 23rd, 2012, 02:38 PM
is this (http://www.aveda.com/product/5222/16649/Collections/BrilliantTM/Brilliant-Universal-Styling-Creme/index.tmpl) the one?

My hair is very fine and fluffy. Plus it gets greasy very easily, so I'm rather hesitant about oils or butters...

Yes, that's the one! Cannot recommend it enough. I have somewhat thick and coarse hair and I had a friend try it. She has fine, thin, curly hair and she adored it. It really does smooth things down without grease and clearly works on a lot of hairtypes.

gillybeanxo3921
November 23rd, 2012, 03:07 PM
Coconut oil always help to eliminate some of my volume and keep my hair "together".

Garnier Fructis has a Sleek and Shine line that sounds pretty good. I would mostly look for anything that says anti-frizz, sleek, shine, or smooth.

Also, what helps me, is putting my hair in a french braid while it's wet and sleeping like that. Usually I rub some coconut oil over the end of the braid and spray it with fixative. That should help make your wave pattern more consistent, and your hair stay smoother.

Good luck!

Lilli
November 24th, 2012, 06:09 AM
What products for example? Have you used any particular ones?

Cyclomethicone makes it the flattest, or plain dimethicone. Bis-aminopropyl dimethicone will do it too, but not as flat as the first two. Any drugstore brand that says "smooth" or "sleek" or "straight" would work. It helps if there are 'cones in both the shampoo and conditioner. Shampoos that are not clear usually have cones.

jacqueline101
November 24th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Monistat and a big head scarf to cover it forget it and let it grow.