PDA

View Full Version : I feel like giving up.

colormeindie
November 20th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I've always wanted long hair, but got it cut in the summer of 2009 from waist to APL because a hairdresser just decided to cut it without my consent. Ever since that day, i have never been able to grow it past BSL. i bleached my hair a lot last year because i wanted to dye my hair different colors. Now that i'm back to a solid red, i've been treating my hair pretty well. For the last 3 months i've been wearing my hair in protective styles, using a wide tooth comb, oiling my ends, stretching washing, and i have only used heat twice in that time.

I have insanely hard water, and i feel that washing my hair in it is making it worse, so i recently started using filtered bought water from a local store, and use that to wet, and rinse my hair. I don't understand what i'm doing wrong :[ i microtrim every 3 weeks, S&D whenever i can, and do an inch trim on all my layers once every few months depending on the growth. I dye my hair red with manic panic, but Manic panic is supposed to actually treat your hair pretty well.

Any ladies out there with some advice? I just don't know why it just keeps getting damaged. Should i switch shampoos? conditioners? When i used the coconut organix line my hair was amazing. I'd like to go back to that but i just don't have money to spend on a tiny bottle.

Help :(

Juanita
November 20th, 2012, 03:16 PM
You will need to probably grow out the bleach damage first. Hair grows around 6 inches a year. It took me almost 5 years to grow out the dye in my hair. Good luck and keep on being gentle

young&reckless
November 20th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I think you are cutting your hair to much for it to "grow." If you cut 1/4 inch off in a micro trim every three weeks and another inch every other month or so you going to be taking almost all your new growth with it. Maybe try trimming less often.

colormeindie
November 20th, 2012, 03:52 PM
But if i don't trim the damage just gets worse. i'm not abusing my hair yet i still am getting white dots and split ends.

lapushka
November 20th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Your bout of bleaching wasn't even that long ago, so all that damage isn't yet gone! You're going to have to have more patience than this. It's going to take years of microtrimming until your hair is back to being okay. Only then can you properly reassess. As long as you keep coloring (whatever coloring process it is), it is going to do *some* damage, no matter the claims of how good the dye is supposed to be.

Shebelina
November 20th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Completely agree with young&reckless, you seem to be cutting away any new growth you have. Maybe you could measure your hair, and then not cut it at all for a couple of months and measure again. Just keep treating your hair as sensitively as possible, you obviously care for it very well.

torrilin
November 20th, 2012, 05:20 PM
On me, BSL starts around 25-27 inches. My hair grows 7-9 inches in a year, give or take. So it'd take me THREE YEARS to grow out bleach fully. And that's a growth rate that's well above average. For my hair type, bleach is not particularly damaging either. Some hair types really don't handle bleach well, and they'll get a lot of extra breakage and splitting as a result.

For me, it might be possible to see progress in length with the kind of treatment you've given your hair. Maybe. But for the average person, bleaching to blonde so Manic Panic shows vividly is going to be very damaging, and it would definitely slow forward progress on length.

DinaAG
November 20th, 2012, 05:48 PM
do you eat well healthy food, drink enough water and exercise?

lacefrost
November 20th, 2012, 08:37 PM
i bleached my hair a lot last year because i wanted to dye my hair different colors.

This is why you have white dots and split ends. No amount of babying your hair will take the damage away. Only time and trims will. BUT babying your hair will keep your hair looking nice while you grow the damage out.

colormeindie
November 21st, 2012, 06:45 AM
do you eat well healthy food, drink enough water and exercise?

yes i do. I eat as natural as i can, do weight training and cardio at least 3 days a week. Last year i had a bad experience with Anemia, but have luckily reversed it through a better diet :]
]

colormeindie
November 21st, 2012, 06:49 AM
On me, BSL starts around 25-27 inches. My hair grows 7-9 inches in a year, give or take. So it'd take me THREE YEARS to grow out bleach fully. And that's a growth rate that's well above average. For my hair type, bleach is not particularly damaging either. Some hair types really don't handle bleach well, and they'll get a lot of extra breakage and splitting as a result.

For me, it might be possible to see progress in length with the kind of treatment you've given your hair. Maybe. But for the average person, bleaching to blonde so Manic Panic shows vividly is going to be very damaging, and it would definitely slow forward progress on length.
I'm naturally blonde, but last year i went from my current color of red, to pastel colors. I only really had to full out bleach my hair 3 times to get the red out. I spread them out a week each and treated it well even back then. I've only had about 3 inches of growth since May. My hair grows incredibly slow without vitamins. :/

HelloKitteh
November 21st, 2012, 07:21 AM
Well in addition to patience, get some vitamins then :-) What vitamins worked for you?

colormeindie
November 21st, 2012, 07:38 AM
Inositol, L-methionine, L-cysteine, biotin, MSM, Horsetail, and a multivitamin. i think there was more. i recorded all my information, but its on a backup hard drive. I'm starting again soon, the vitamins are in the mail, but i am taking out horsetail, and adding Folic acid and a bamboo extract for silica :] i got pretty amazing results immediately, and i hope i get them again :]

PinkyCat
November 21st, 2012, 07:53 AM
I totally agree with those who said you're trimming too often to gain length. Unfortunately I think you may need to choose between length or getting your hair back to health at this point.

infinity_girl
November 21st, 2012, 09:05 AM
I've always wanted long hair, but got it cut in the summer of 2009 from waist to APL because a hairdresser just decided to cut it without my consent. Ever since that day, i have never been able to grow it past BSL. i bleached my hair a lot last year because i wanted to dye my hair different colors. Now that i'm back to a solid red, i've been treating my hair pretty well. For the last 3 months i've been wearing my hair in protective styles, using a wide tooth comb, oiling my ends, stretching washing, and i have only used heat twice in that time.

I have insanely hard water, and i feel that washing my hair in it is making it worse, so i recently started using filtered bought water from a local store, and use that to wet, and rinse my hair. I don't understand what i'm doing wrong :[ i microtrim every 3 weeks, S&D whenever i can, and do an inch trim on all my layers once every few months depending on the growth. I dye my hair red with manic panic, but Manic panic is supposed to actually treat your hair pretty well.

Any ladies out there with some advice? I just don't know why it just keeps getting damaged. Should i switch shampoos? conditioners? When i used the coconut organix line my hair was amazing. I'd like to go back to that but i just don't have money to spend on a tiny bottle.

Help :(

Why don't you just buy one of those shower heads which filters and softens hard water/gets rid of chlorine? Probably save you a lot of money in the long run.

sisi33
November 21st, 2012, 09:22 AM
First off- good job with the babying! Though, like others have said, it's going to take a while for you to see a drastic improvement. It could be that your hair is growing, but it's breaking off at the ends. Try to stay away from people/pictures of people with hairstyles that you like, but wouldn't be good for your own hairs' health- for me, this is major. Anytime I see someone with a shorter, cute haircut, I have an major urge to cut. :D

Keep going! I can say that it is worth it, although it is by no means a easy thing to do

colormeindie
November 21st, 2012, 01:27 PM
Why don't you just buy one of those shower heads which filters and softens hard water/gets rid of chlorine? Probably save you a lot of money in the long run.

Do you know of one that works well? There is so much iron in our water, it probably isn't safe to drink and it discolors most of our dishes.

RileyJane
November 21st, 2012, 05:19 PM
Dont give up! my hair was like that when it was bleached, i dont think it grew for about 2 months, and the growth for about 6 months after that was shaky. just give it a few more months, baby it, and try not to use heat or dye on it, and youll probably see some improvement

GrowingGlory
November 21st, 2012, 05:38 PM
Please don't give up! You can still have the healthy, long hair that you want. First things first! Trimming regularly is a good idea, IMHO, because it keeps damage from spreading up the hair shaft and gradually removes it altogether. Then, when your hair is healthy at your current length, you can focus on increasing growth. Sometimes it is easier to maintain at a shorter length for a while until you are satisfied with the health of your hair. Good luck!

DancingQueen
November 23rd, 2012, 12:26 PM
Lots of good advice already. :)

You can also try oil treatments with coconut oil. It is supposed to actually be able to penetrate the hair, and make it healthier. (it is cheap and way better than any beauty product) Just buy a jar of extra virgin coconut oil in a food store.

Distribute a lot in your hair (I use so much that it looks a bit wet, and focus on the ends), and let it sit for two hours, or even just half an hour. Rinse out with shampoo and conditioner, and you will have the most amazing hair :)

MissAlida
November 23rd, 2012, 12:38 PM
Have you taught about using henna? I'm not sure if you can use it on previously died hair, but henna strenghtens and repairs damaged hair. If you are interested in trying it, I suggest you go to the henna and herbal haircare forum, and ask the more experienced henna users. Henna has strenghtened my hair, made it very shiny, and a brilliant red in sunlight.

spidermom
November 23rd, 2012, 12:58 PM
Once you have all the hair that was bleached cut off, it will grow.

kurlywurlygurl
November 23rd, 2012, 01:56 PM
Your hair looks kind of like mine, I have 3a curly hair that I straightened for years ( don't we love the abusive damaging face of jr. high and highschool- wait that's just me :thud:)
Anyway in highschool I finally stopped straigtening my hair and trying to blend in with all the straight haired girls because I had swim class, and everyone actually like my hair for once! GASP. They actually swore I had gotten a perm just for swimming lol. Honestly I had that "scene" hair cut, and my curls looked okay as they started to grow out, and I cowashed for a long time as I embraced my curly hair. I have recently been doing water only for two months, and was previously doing baking soda and acv rinses. I would reccomend trying to pin point how your hair reacts to different things and going from there. Also, I was obsessed with my hair, I would think about it all the time, and then touch it all the time- heck I even dreamed about it! I think the best thing to do is try to forget about- but don't just ignore it. Find the perfect balance of caring and not caring. Make love to your hair, but don't make it your "mane" priority (lol see what I did there).
I was doing exactly what you were doing, frequent trims S+D because the darn hair dressers just cannot stand listening and actually giving you an actual trim, and not a bob :rolleyes:
However, the people on this website really taught me that its not a sin to go without trims for a while, as long as you protect your hair in other ways. Hair dressers tell us that we need to trim every six weeks or whatever because 1. they want money 2. they might assume we really damage our hair 3. their just jealous 4. its the hair dresser code of ethics lol
I don't know haha. I used to love manic panic also- however the only bleach I use is honey wink wink!
Look into more natural methods of hair care, drink lots of water, eat healthy (which you said you do, so keep it up), be patient, and get inspired. There are lots of cute hairstyles that can be achieved without heat, and my oh my there are so many different kinds of braids: fishtail braids, dutch braids, french braids, figure 8 braids, waterfall braids, monkey braids, snake braids, regular braids, one braid, two braids, braided buns- pheww you name it there's a braid for that!
colormeindie, just be patient and when things are getting tough, just post and I'll give you a cyber hug. Kay bye! :waving:

Ambystoma
November 23rd, 2012, 07:05 PM
My hair grew super slowly for around 2 years, maybe a little more after being bleached platinum for a few months but it's back to it's old "growing like a weed" self now, with a little help from Monistat, vitamins and time so I know it's awful when you desperately want the damage gone and it feels like it's hardly growing but hopefully yours starts growing faster again too!

Stagecoach
November 23rd, 2012, 08:33 PM
As others have said, i think you're dealing with multiple problems here.

1. Most important, your hair has a lot of damage from bleaching, coloring and more bleaching that can not be reversed. Your only option is to baby it to keeps it as healthy as it can be (which won't be much) and grow it out.

2. You're trimming a lot. Now, you mentioned that you had to because of the damage. This is probably true. All the bleaching and coloring has permanatly damaged your hair, and your newly cut ends quickly fray and snap.

3. You need patience. Hair does not grow over night. It took me 8 years to go from a few inches below my shoulders to knee length. But it was well worth it. 3 months is not nearly enough time to know if your hair grows or not. My hair has spent 6 months in a stall before, than gone on to grow 1 inch the next month.

I'd recommend continuing with the babying, but don't expect amazing results. Your hair can only be as nice as the damage will allow. If you want, you should be able to maintain at your current length with micro trims, slowly trimming out the damage. Or you could stop trimming, do extra TLC, and grow your hair slowly, damage and all.

MrsGuther
November 23rd, 2012, 08:40 PM
Bleach damage will not go away unless you cut it off. I should know, as I dealt with that. Once you cut off all the damage make sure you still have reasonable expectations for your hair growth rate (1/2 inch per month is average). Good luck and happy growing!

Mesmerise
November 23rd, 2012, 10:39 PM
For starters DO NOT GIVE UP! The ONLY problem your hair has got is that it's damaged from the bleach. That's it. It can't get "fixed". You can only grow it out. This will take plenty of time and lots of patience. In the meantime just keep trimming. Don't expect your hair to get really long until the damage has gone. In the meantime, just do what you're doing. There's no way of speeding up the process!!

As others have said, you simply need to be patient and keep caring for your hair! A lot of people are under the mistaken idea that if they stop damaging their hair with bleach etc. and care for it well that it will magically "repair" itself. This doesn't happen. Damaged hair is damaged hair. Caring for your hair and avoiding further damage, however, will allow you to keep growing your hair (even if it's very slowly), so at the very least you should be able to maintain the length you've got. (Many people's hair gets so damaged it just breaks off, and the only thing they can do to improve it is to give it a big cut... but it is generally possible to avoid this if your hair hasn't gone too far, and you avoid any further damaging action).

tambalina
November 24th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Have you tried a protein treatment yet? When I chemically-altered my hair, I was getting a new split end every few seconds or so, lol. Using a protein treatment every other wash improved my hair and stop *some* of the breakage I was getting. If your hair is as damaged as mine was, you will need as much protein as possible to reinforce the structure of your hair and give it the support it needs. Just make sure you follow-up any protein treatment with a deep conditioning.

After about 3 weeks of bombarding it with protein, I went down to 2 weekly treatments until I cut off all the damage. HTH!!

jacqueline101
November 24th, 2012, 03:05 PM
You need to have patients and trim out the damage as it grows.

piffyanne
November 25th, 2012, 06:49 PM
We're all rooting for you! :cheer:

Alembic
November 25th, 2012, 08:04 PM
This is why you have white dots and split ends. No amount of babying your hair will take the damage away. Only time and trims will. BUT babying your hair will keep your hair looking nice while you grow the damage out.

I agree with Lacefrost - I had damage on my ends that I kept putting off cutting. I just did it this weekend, and I'm back to shoulder length, but now my hair just FEELS so much better and my hemline is so much fuller that I think what was holding up my progress to go past BSL was just not taking a gulp and getting rid of the damage. I'm not suggesting to chop inches off like I did, but just be patient and really devote your focus to adopting the lifestyle of long hair - which for some of us means giving up the bottle and just giving our hair time to grow back in healthily. Your hair already looks very pretty, so don't despair. It will only get better.

And Lacefrost, I just loooove your profile pics, what beautiful hair. It just looks amazing.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 25th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Yep, we are all wanting your hair to grow and be gorgeous! You will get all the right advice here. I know I have learned such a lot on LHC! You do need to be very patient with your hair though and don't expect it to be cured in 5 minutes though!

colormeindie
November 30th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice! you've definitely all given me a lot to think about :] sorry i couldn't write back sooner, i was in California performing in the Hollywood Christmas parade with my marching band :]
My hair thankfully is at least growing pretty regularly, compared to what it was this time last year when i had a bad shed. However, i get about one month of growth, and a rest month cycling throughout the past few months. I still have yet to order vitamins, but i want to take folic acid along with a few of the ones i took last year.
Does anyone else take it for your hair?

colormeindie
December 2nd, 2012, 05:00 PM
so i've been throwing the thought around of growing out my natural hair. it would definitely save hassle with instead of having more bleach damage later in life when its grown out, than just doing a few bleach baths now. I love my red hair, but its upkeep is expensive and time consuming. not to mention how every time i wash my hair it looks like i murdered someone in the bathroom :( however my natural color looks horrendous on me. I just don't know what to choose.

momoftwo708
December 2nd, 2012, 05:20 PM
Hi, I also dye my hair a lot, this year and I have stopped. I dont really bleach, Im naturally dark blonde. My hair was always wsl but now its apl. I chopped it all off and must of cut it about 7 times big trims since august. Now im done with trimming, and if your hair is really that bad just do a big chop, trust me its worth getting rid of the damage now. My hair breaks easily also. I read another thread that your hair doesn't grow much and is thinning out, have you seen a doctor. I think you need to just stop colouring your hair. And stop trimming and take vitamins maybe try monistat, I did over summer and it work, I didn't even realize.

colormeindie
December 2nd, 2012, 05:29 PM
The big shed was over a year ago, i had a really bad bout of anemia. i changed my diet and my lifestyle and i've practically reversed it. Sadly, monistat just made it worse, after i used monistat it fell out in clumps for months. I'm also naturally blonde, are you currently growing out natural?