PDA

View Full Version : Baby Fine Hair And Tangling

UP Lisa
October 31st, 2012, 01:57 PM
Hello. I have a terrible time with causing so much damage to my hair just from trying to get the tangles out. I do everything I know how to do to keep it from getting tangled, but it still happens.

What are your tricks for preventing/removing tangles? Or does your hair not really tangle that much?

Starblanket
October 31st, 2012, 03:45 PM
CO'ing and mineral oil are incredibly helpful when it comes to tangles for me. My hair is F/M and quite wavy so my hair tangles a lot. After I've been CO'ing and using mineral oil my hair is much easier to comb out now.

Another way I prevent tangles is to keep my hair in buns pretty much all the time (even when I sleep, although many prefer braids).

Overall I've noticed a lot less mechanical damage to my hair; this is important since I'm a non-trimmer!

ETA: You have gorgeous, shiny hair with a beautiful colour! Just had to add that hehe. :D

long&blonde
October 31st, 2012, 05:20 PM
I have a terrible time with tangles too, my hair is 2c, fine, about inch past waist.

I use fructis by garnier leave in conditioner after my weekly shampoo & condition wash.
Without it, I Couldn't comb thru my hair.
I also use shampoo with sulfates, no sulfate shampoos seem to make my hair more tangly. Cones in products also help my hair be more tangle free.

After i comb my hair out, i rub a dime's worth of "Africa's 7 oils" from the ethnic hair care aisle, thru ends mostly,but actually all over,
I too try to keep it up in a bun, tho right now it's in my old faithful ponytail with no damage elastic.
Even tho I KNOW the only good ponytail holder is a scrunchie.

rtree721
October 31st, 2012, 06:23 PM
I get the most tangles in the shower so I try to be very careful when shampooing and when I have conditioner in my hair, I detangle and then braid it so that it can't get tangled again.

Madora
October 31st, 2012, 06:55 PM
My hair is always braided and that prevents any tangling issues.

itdontmatter48
November 14th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I wait until my hair is dry before I comb my hair. No brush until it's tangle free.

raingirl
November 19th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I get the most tangles in the shower so I try to be very careful when shampooing and when I have conditioner in my hair, I detangle and then braid it so that it can't get tangled again.

You braid it while wet? Just curious.

All I have to do is walk 2 feet and my hair will tangle. I dislike my ultra baby fine hair for this one thing. Braids don't work for me as it even tangles while I try to braid! If I braid at night, it gets all pulled out and messy and matted even with the braid.

sfgirl
November 20th, 2012, 04:21 AM
raingirl, Have you tried sleeping on a satin pillow case or using a sleep bonnet? It might help your braid stay un-matted. :)

Fethenwen
November 20th, 2012, 04:26 AM
I also have fine hair prone to tangles.

I think the most effective method for me is to clarify my hair regularly, every three weeks. Sadly I always forget to do it :p I can go weeks with really tangly and problematic hair before realizing that it's time to clarify again, lol.

clairenewcastle
November 20th, 2012, 04:56 AM
My hair used to be prone to tangles but regularly clarifying made all the difference. As did giving up using conditioner in favour of catnip rinses for I didn't get build-up from the catnip.

raingirl
November 20th, 2012, 06:38 AM
raingirl, Have you tried sleeping on a satin pillow case or using a sleep bonnet? It might help your braid stay un-matted. :)

Not yet. I wouldn't be able to use a sleep bonnet as I think it would drive me nuts (I stand hats of any kind). Are satin pillow cases expensive and hard to care for? I change my pillow case every few nights and would hate to have extra laundry that is hard to care for.

UP Lisa
November 20th, 2012, 06:48 AM
So nice to be able to get on here again!

Please tell me more about how you use the mineral oil. I've just started using it, and it does seem to be helping.

Thank you.

CO'ing and mineral oil are incredibly helpful when it comes to tangles for me. My hair is F/M and quite wavy so my hair tangles a lot. After I've been CO'ing and using mineral oil my hair is much easier to comb out now.

Another way I prevent tangles is to keep my hair in buns pretty much all the time (even when I sleep, although many prefer braids).

Overall I've noticed a lot less mechanical damage to my hair; this is important since I'm a non-trimmer!

ETA: You have gorgeous, shiny hair with a beautiful colour! Just had to add that hehe. :D

Shebelina
November 20th, 2012, 08:39 AM
I don't know about anyone else but I use a few drops of mineral oil on damp hair, after using a leave in conditioner. This solves my tangle problems. I wash my hair every four days, so at the end of the second day I add a little bit more. I am in love with mineral oil, it is my hair savior.

Some dislike it, but I love my Tangle Teezer hair brush too. I've had much less damage and much less stress when I have to detangle.

Vivalagina
November 20th, 2012, 09:35 AM
My hair tangles right around my hairline... I don't even know how, it just becomes a gigantic mess in the shower no matter what I wash with or how careful and gentle I am. My hair just loves to clump into 4 or 5 dread-like clumps when water touches it. Plus, I think the bleach damage from highlights I got at the beginning of the year has made it particularly miserable. What I usually end up doing is squeezing the excess water from hair with my towel and then smoothing 3 drops of baby oil through my hair. I don't touch it after that until it is almost completely dry (I have a 40 minutes commute to work, so a gentle warm air flow from my car heater does the trick) and then very slowly work out the knots with my fingers from tips to roots until I can finger comb, then I work my tangle teezer though from tips to roots. Once able, I bun my hair and just leave it the heck alone as long as possible. This has really helped me stop excess breakage and the mineral oil leaves it very very soft when I pull it out of the bun at the end of the day.

Lilli
November 22nd, 2012, 07:42 AM
Clarifying, silk pillowcase, and regular trims. Having rough ends causes major tangles for me as the hairs rub against each other. My hair tangles much less for 3-4 weeks following a trim.

longcurlygirl<3
November 22nd, 2012, 08:10 AM
The only thing that helps with tagles is braids with shea butter. I don't know why but it helps, and keeping my hair moisturized. Also finger combing gently dry then with my wide tooth comb saturated with conditioner. But I am a curly head so I HOPE this helped you :)

RubyTuesday
November 22nd, 2012, 10:26 AM
I am another fan of the Tangle Teezer. I used to comb my hair out, but since buying a TT a few years ago, it has transformed my life (bit of an exaggeration...) as I spend so much less time having to work out knots. I know it works for me and makes life a lot easier. It is also handy for combing through conditioner in the shower.

My fine hair becomes very knotty if it is dry so I try and keep it moisturised with a leave in conditioner and top that up with whatever is to hand (oil, shea butter etc).

I find that cones help too. I really wanted to go sulphate and cone free but I don't think it is going to work for me.

Rivanariko
November 22nd, 2012, 11:42 AM
Moisture seems to be the key for my super-tangly baby-fine hair. I keep it either braided or most of the time, but as someone else said, it will still get tangled within the braid or bun. Keeping it well moisturized seems to help this, recently I've started experimenting with EVOO to combat how dry the air is where I live during the winter. It seems to be making a big difference.

And absolutely conditioners with cones. The few times I've tried using cone-free products have been a complete nightmare. Never again!

Fantak
November 22nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
Another fine hairer here!

I second mineral oil, silicones, braiding and keeping it up.

I think with fine hair you might need to comb as you braid since mine sometimes tangles while braiding and that's the single strand not the strands getting knotted in each other! But after I braid and bun it seems to protect it from further tangling :)

Alva
November 22nd, 2012, 01:53 PM
What causes tangles for me is either a particular length or lint. When it is between 27 and 31 inches I usually have massive tangles, all the way from the neck it started to become matted. I don't know why it happens, only that when I pass it suddenly the tangles are gone. Now that it is longer it is fine again, am near 34 inches. Further I notice that tangles get caused by lint, little dust pieces from my pillow case for example. Further I dont have much problems with it. I sometimes wear it down all day, but no tangling then. I also detangle my hair in the morning, only once a day, with a Mason Pearson popular mixed boar and bylon brush. It is the best brush I ever used and causes no damage.

lapushka
November 22nd, 2012, 03:33 PM
My hair is F and I wear it wavy. This means it doesn't get brushed or combed for an entire week... not until it's time to wash it again. Then it gets divided in half, and combed through with a wide tooth comb. The fine knots can only be gotten out with a Tangle Teezer and it is really really gentle on the knots and on my hair.

teela1978
November 22nd, 2012, 03:59 PM
Regular trims and coney conditioner for me. Gently comb out in shower, pop in a turban for a bit, gently comb out while damp. Anything else and its a tangled mess. I can skip cones here and there but some cones need to be in my length if I don't want crazy tangles.

midbackorbust
November 22nd, 2012, 06:41 PM
I have fine hair and it tangles like nobody's business :(
Like other people said, a satin pillowcase helps a lot.

AutumnLocks
November 22nd, 2012, 07:01 PM
I find that not piling my hair on top of my head and scrubbing works well too. I also love the way "cones" helps with tangles. I have been using a Treseme' conditioner that is very thick and rich. I put it on after my shampoo and leave it on while I finish my other "showery" things and rinse it right before I step out of the shower.

UP Lisa
November 22nd, 2012, 07:31 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I do use a satin pillowcase, and I do keep it up or braided except when it's drying. I have been doing scalp washes three timesa week, and only get shampoo on the length once a week. I have started to do deep treatments again. I had been too lazy to do them for a long time. I think that is helping. I have a tangle teezer, but can't decide if I'm better off using it or not using it. I think t works better on wet hair.

teela1978
November 22nd, 2012, 09:06 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I do use a satin pillowcase, and I do keep it up or braided except when it's drying. I have been doing scalp washes three timesa week, and only get shampoo on the length once a week. I have started to do deep treatments again. I had been too lazy to do them for a long time. I think that is helping. I have a tangle teezer, but can't decide if I'm better off using it or not using it. I think t works better on wet hair.

Hmmm... the only washing length once a week makes me wonder if its a buildup issue? Perhaps clarifying (as someone else mentioned above) would help? Not clarifying enough is definitely something that will make my hair tangle.

Lilli
November 23rd, 2012, 06:46 AM
Hmmm... the only washing length once a week makes me wonder if its a buildup issue? Perhaps clarifying (as someone else mentioned above) would help? Not clarifying enough is definitely something that will make my hair tangle.

Agree - tangling is how I know it is time to clarify.

teela1978
November 27th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Agree - tangling is how I know it is time to clarify.

Aha! It was you who mentioned it earlier! Sometimes I'm too lazy to go back and see who mentioned something I agreed with :)

vanillabones
November 27th, 2012, 12:43 AM
What are some recommendations for deep treatments? I need to start doing some. I use cones and also don't pile my hair on my head that helps a lot, and I only ever comb it before, during, and after showering (I use a wide tooth comb in the shower and a wooden one out when wet). My hair gets the tangliest when time to clarify or actually comb it haha. I don't use my tangle teezer much. My hair really needs a trim so it is extra tangly and I've been enjoying cinnabun waves and wearing it down too much. If my hair was all virgin though I think I'd stop trims for a year.

UP Lisa
November 27th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure why I would have buildup from only washing the length once a week. I'm not adding any products to it in between washes. However, my hair does seem to need clarifying really often. Probably due to my hard water.