PDA

View Full Version : How long between trims for even hemline?

aries
August 22nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
I have been getting trims every 6 months for the last few years and notice that going that long between trims causes me to lose about 1 1/2 to 2" of length off my ends to keep an even hemline. Another problem with this is I notice my hemline is not as thick as the rest of my hair (this was pre hypotheroidism). I like fairytale ends but they aren't for me.

My question is for those of you who have blunt thick ends and how often you get them trimmed but still gain some length. I don't think it reasonable to lose that much hair every trim and I spend more time growing it back than I do growing length.

I could be wrong but it seems to take longer at this point in time to go with fewer trims due to wanting a thicker, striaght hemline.

Any comments or ideas are absolutely welcome.

Yes, I am also fighting thyroid issues right now which I think are causing thinning but there still has to be an option for gaining length and not losing so much in the long run. I could be wrong and losing that much per trim twice a year isn't so bad. What do you think?

Cinnamon.locks
August 23rd, 2008, 02:00 AM
I guess it depends on what you trully want. do you want to grow your hair with an even hemline? or would you prefer to grow it long, healthy and soft even at Classic?

I also just started trimming only every 5 or 6 months. before this i went almost a year without cutting ( last cut was in July 2007, then had to cut about 3 inches in May 2008 due to damage and dryness.) so i think it depends on the health and feel of your hair. I also want a straight hemline, but to achieve it i have to trim at least 1 1/2 inches every few months. I don't think it's so bad to cut 1 to 1 1/2 inches every 6 months if it is damage you are cutting off, but if the ends look good, feel good and act good ( no extra tangles or dry, icky ends. ) then i would suggest you can wait a little longer between trims. also it depends on the care you give your hair, i'm not an expert but if you can keep your hair moisturized, healthy and soft and damage free ( or little damage ) you should be able to wait longer to trim your hair.

Can you share your routine? what products do you use? how often do you clarify? do you brush or comb? your answers can help figure out how to help you better.

HTH.

eadwine
August 23rd, 2008, 02:18 AM
I used to trim every 6-7 weeks before I switched over to every quarter of the year, roughly. If you get the regulars and only get the growth cut off, then you should get the even hemline eventually.

Arctic
August 23rd, 2008, 03:06 AM
I think it's very individual. I have read of some members whose hair grows evenly naturally.
When deciding how much to trim you need to know how much your hair grows. If you're actively growing, you shouldn't, ofcourse, cut all of your new growth away.

For me, I'm still figuring this same thing out :) I went quite recently 9 months and after that 6 months without trims and hemline still looked thick, it was a bit uneven before the trim but after the trims it was even and nice and thick. Lately it seems that I can't go as long anymore, and I am planning to try microtrimming every 3 or so months. That seems to be working time frame for many members.

spidermom
August 23rd, 2008, 08:38 AM
I get approximately 1/2 inch cut off every 3 months. The last year I measured, I gained 5-1/2 inches in length on that schedule.

Little_Bird
August 23rd, 2008, 09:26 AM
Hey there!!

This is an interesting thread, very handy for myself too! I am at waist lenght now, with sort of v shaped, layered ends, and I'm also fighting with the trims.

I want to achieve at least tailbone next year, with some trims in between. I am currently trying to do 3 trims a year, from 4 to 4 months, but I only did one trim in this new program... next one is next month. I notice a lot of diference to my ends with very few taken off the ends (about 2 cm makes a big diference).

I agree with the other members that you have to define your priorities. I think that the best way to get extra blunt, straight ends is to grow longer than you want and then cut back to another lenght, but cut a good amount of hair. That way, the ends get marvelous, but obviously, you loose a lot of lenght.
Good looking ends and lenght are things that I don't think it's possible to obtain at the same time. I myself am going for lenght first, but you can chose from either of them. Once you have straight ends, a trim a year might be enough afterwards...

I guess that, as everything hair related, it's a bit of trial and error... I wish you good luck! :flower:

spidermom
August 23rd, 2008, 09:52 AM
Good looking ends and lenght are things that I don't think it's possible to obtain at the same time. :flower:

Excuse me? Something wrong with my ends or length?

Stacy_E
August 23rd, 2008, 10:26 AM
I read an article from Long Hair Loom, link here (http://www.network54.com/Forum/246853/message/1061365261/Trimming+%26amp%3B+Dusting+-+How+Often+and+How+Much-), that discusses the topic of how often to trim when growing hair. The author found that trimming a tiny amount every 8 weeks works for her. Myself, I'm more with Spidermom's schedule, around 3/8 to 1/2" every 3 months, and so far I'm happy with that. But I'm tempted to try the 8 week dusting schedule instead!

harpgal
August 23rd, 2008, 10:28 AM
Good looking ends and length are things that I don't think it's possible to obtain at the same time.
Sorry Little Bird, but I disagree with you on this one. However, I do think that the taper that we all get will win in the end if length is the number one priority.

Very small (1/4-1/2 inch) trims several times a year work better for most people than one large trim only once a year. That is because you are consistently trimming off damaged ends and also allowing the slower growing strands to catch up with the rest. Only trimming once a year does not keep the ends from breaking and weathering. With one big whack, the ends come off and the rest of year your hemline is exposed to the elements. Besides, who wants to lose a big chunk of length all at once?

All of this also depends on how even a person's hair grows. There are some around here who's hair grows so evenly that they do not have to trim to keep a full hemline. However, even they benefit from frequent very small trims.

There is a trial and error factor and I think we all just have to play with it. If you do not like a full hemline, just allow your hair to grow out without trims and it eventually will thin out to just a few strands. I do not think that that necessarily means that a person is at terminal length. It is possible that it simply means that the fast guys (gallopers) are very much ahead of the slow guys (snails).

All in all, the process is fun and because we are all so very different, it is interesting. :)

akka naeda
August 23rd, 2008, 10:29 AM
Hey there!!
I agree with the other members that you have to define your priorities. I think that the best way to get extra blunt, straight ends is to grow longer than you want and then cut back to another lenght, but cut a good amount of hair. That way, the ends get marvelous, but obviously, you loose a lot of lenght.
Good looking ends and lenght are things that I don't think it's possible to obtain at the same time. I myself am going for lenght first, but you can chose from either of them. Once you have straight ends, a trim a year might be enough afterwards...

I don't think Little Bird is totally right here. My hair is about knee and it has reasonably thick and blunt ends, I just trimmed off a bit, not sure how much, but it'd be 2" max because it was getting straggly. There is taper and thinning, but at knee my hair is probably ii thickness, from iii at my nape. It looks much thinner simply because since it's against my legs it is possible to see right through it and see what's in front of me :). It's also a lot older, somewhere in the region of say 7-8 years old at the most so obviously it will be thinner due to age-related wear and tear. I have tried not trimming though and I don't like the straggliness that results. It's better to trim a bit and take longer to get there if you are going for blunt ends rather than fairytale. I remember Zift telling me once that she trimmed off 9" because she went for several years without trimming and it trashed her hair.

harpgal
August 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
There is taper and thinning, but at knee my hair is probably ii thickness, from iii at my nape. It looks much thinner simply because since it's against my legs it is possible to see right through it and see what's in front of me :).
I have noticed the same thing on myself. :agree: Somehow the hair does not rest against the body below classic.

FrannyG
August 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
The first time I grew my hair to about waist length (last June), I did so without really trimming at all. I was so upset with my hemline that I cut off about six inches (which also got rid of a really deep v-shape).

After that, I began trimming about 1/3 of my growth every other month. The difference was amazing. By the time I reached waist length this time, my hemline was much thicker and much more even looking.

I did have to cut a few inches off recently, but that was because I removed the dark brown dye from my hair, and the ends were dry.

I am continuing with the regular, small trims and I'm very happy with it. I still end up growing about six inches a year.

I do agree however, that when you get to greater lengths, it's inevitable to expect much thinner ends. At that point is comes down to a choice between thicker ends, or greater length, for most people. There are, of course some very notable exceptions on LHC.

Kati75
August 23rd, 2008, 10:41 AM
Good looking ends and lenght are things that I don't think it's possible to obtain at the same time.

I'm with spider mom on this one. My last trim was in September 2007, and my ends are fine. Even when my hair was waist length, the ends wouldn't get uneven even if I didn't trim for a whole year. If I wanted fairy tale ends, I would have to have them cut in. It really depends on your hair type, and the only way you can find out how long you can go between trims until you don't like your ends anymore is to try and see. It's also a lot about routine, if you take good care of your ends, you will be able to go longer in between trims.

xrosiex
August 23rd, 2008, 04:11 PM
I just have a dusting every 8 to10 weeks. So far so good.:)

LadyLongLocks
August 23rd, 2008, 08:33 PM
Now that my hair is at my knees I have been doing micro trims at least every 4 to 6 weeks. I take off about 1/4". I don't get split ends but I do this to even it up and try to keep the ends as blunt as possible. My goal is 56" and I am at about 52", it is taking forever. Seems the longer my hair is, the more I trim it. I have only gained 3" in the past year due to many trims. I trim my hair myself so I don't worry about disaster! I rather trim it more than have thin fairy tail ends. Blunt and straight across is how I like it.

julya
August 24th, 2008, 02:06 AM
When I was growing out a pixie cut I would get trims every few months, just at the back, until the layers all caught up. Then I didn't trim for about three years. I trimmed about 2 inches, to remove damaged ends. I'm not worried about a blunt hemline myself, but I do think the ends are still fairly blunt, even with infrequent trims.

aries
August 24th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Wow, awsome responses! Thanks everyone.

I have been a member here long enough to know what my trim schedule should be but I just can't get it down.

I know my hair grows an average of 1/2", which I think is pretty normal, a month...per year. I just get so down hearted when I have to take off so much every 6 months and it seems it sets me back 3 to 4 months.

My hair doesn't need trims due to damage, dryness or splits, it's just the uneven hemline.

I use JessiCurl products(I am searching for something cheaper that gives me the same results), wide toothed seamless combs, no brushes. Due to skin condition I have to be very careful what I use.

I really want growth as fast as possible but just don't like the v shape on me.

Maybe I should start going every 2 to 3 months for dustings and see how those gow. If I remember correctly, can't find my diary from when I first started here, that's what I was doing before when I had damage from coloring and it seemed ok. I don't know, argh.

spidermom
August 24th, 2008, 12:51 PM
One nice thing about small, frequent trims - I almost never feel a difference in length if I've only lost 1/2 inch or so. If I wait too long and 1 or more inches come off, I can feel that, and I can see it. Then I feel the loss.

aries
August 24th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I tend to agree with you Spidermom (hello by the way. Feel like I have been off the boards for a long time). I am going to try more frequent trims and keep track of them again and compare the 2 for myself. It will take me 2 years to get a good camparison but at least I will know. I keep a leather diary that I can't lose now woot.

You all have been very helpful

Big wave to harpgal too. Been a long time but you and spidermom have gorgeous hair still. Spidermom has really grown a lot since I last was on.

Curlsgirl
August 25th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I was trying go longer between trims but I found I had to have more cut off that way. I like a blunt hemline too. I am going to try the 1/2 inch every three months too even though my hair grows so slowly. I am only aiming for waist right now so I don't think I'll have a problem with a healthy hemline with trims. If I can I may go more if it still looks healthy. I do not think it is impossible to have both at all.

aries
August 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Hi Curlsgirl, I can't quite decide if I want to go every 3 months and just have it dusted or every 4 months and keep it even that way.

I want to gain length and this seems the slow way but I go nuts with the uneven hemline. It doesn't show so much on curly hair but I still know it's not even lol. I am also noticing the longer I get the more curl I'm losing. I am not to the point that my hair is slightly wavey in the back going to the straight side. Maybe my products are too heavy. You'd think after all these years and experiments that we would have the answers lol.