PDA

View Full Version : My hair feels FLUFFY after clarifying?!

toodramatik
August 22nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Hey all.

I usually CO with cones, and i recently experimented with cone-free. Well, big disaster, and I'm going back to using cones.

Anyway, i wanted to diagnose my hair, so I washed it with a Tea Tree Oil clarifying shampoo (i'll get the ingredients later.. but it does contain SLS), twice, and didn't put anything else on it.

Well, my hair is fluffy. It feels like.. I don't know.. feathers? only not as soft of course. But it feels really odd :(, and it feels fine, and my hair is the last thing from fine. It was easy to detangle when it was wet but I'm not daring to try while it's dry.

Does anyone know the possible cause of this?

physicschick
August 22nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
It could be the beginnings of dryness or because you've stripped off everything weighting down your hair. I've had that happen before when using too harsh a shampoo. Eventually my natural oils reverse the effect, but you could probably bring it back to normal more quickly with a moisturizing treatment like SMT.

ETA: I just noticed we have exactly identical hairtypes! :)

toodramatik
August 22nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
Thank you. I can't do SMT because I dont have access to AVG, so I guess it's just waiting for me :)

physicschick
August 22nd, 2008, 07:59 PM
I'm a bit uncertain whether the AVG in SMT actually helps my hair. Just honey in conditioner might be moisturizing on its own. Or you could use a couple drops of oil.

Aisha25
August 22nd, 2008, 08:13 PM
Honey and conditioner should be good,that is what I use when I do moisture treatment. I have same hair type so you should be ok;).

Samikha
August 22nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
Well, my hair is fluffy. <snip>
Does anyone know the possible cause of this?

*hijack*

You have magically transformed your hair into mine!

Seriously, when I clarify my hair is so fluffy and fine it scares me. And obedient in an odd way...if I want the triangle look all I need to do is pull a couple strands to the side, and they will stay there all day.

danacc
August 22nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
Clarifying strips everything off of the hair cuticle. It removes all gunk (yay), all film (ok), all oil (uh-oh). Fluffy, weird hair is very normal if you clarify without returning any moisture or oil to it. It means that the clarifying wash did its job.

You can do an SMT without the aloe vera gel, as others mentioned. Or just use a moisturizing conditioner normally, or just do a light oiling. These will get your hair back to a more manageable state.

aisling
August 22nd, 2008, 11:55 PM
You should always condition after clarifying, I always do a deep treatment and can't imagine not conditioning. What you have definitively sounds like super clean but somewhat dry hair.

Marchpane
August 23rd, 2008, 12:11 AM
Ooh that totally happens to me after clarifying too. I assume it's because your hair is now very light after the clarifying has removed all the buildup and weight. Personally, I kind of liked my hair when it was like that, because it was actually rather soft and sooo feather-light. It was neat. XD But if you don't like it, then just condition or add some product and I'm sure your hair will go back to how it is usually.

Arctic
August 23rd, 2008, 03:29 AM
I second Aisling :)

Teazel
August 23rd, 2008, 03:37 AM
I third aisling. My hair is literally squeaky clean after clarifying; I get conditioner, honey, and aloe vera (but the conditioner is the most important thing) on there straight away. I shudder to think what it would be like with nothing....

Shanarana
August 23rd, 2008, 07:01 AM
I did a clarify treatment to my hair yesterday to prepare for a henna today. I hate how my hair feels without anything on it......yuck......I'm trying right now not to rush in the shower and slather my hair with conditioner.