PDA

View Full Version : What grows hair the longest?

PixieChick11
August 22nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
Hi, I'm planning on growing my hair, but I don't know what to use :confused:.

So, what method grows hair faster?
(btw, I forgot how to create polls, as you can see I'm new here ;))

Carolyn
August 22nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
Your hair will only grow as fast as it's genetically programmed to do. The average is 1/2" per month or 6" per year.

PixieChick11
August 22nd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Yea, but I heard you can take Vitamins, or Mega Tek, or some other stuff.

spidermom
August 22nd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Time makes hair grow, and nothing makes it pass faster than putting your hair up and out of the way, then getting busy with the rest of your life. The more you look at your hair and agonize over the growth rate, the slower time passes.

Kleis
August 22nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
There are absolutely no guarantees about any supplement. What works for one person may not work for anyone else--and who knows if it really helped or if they were having a growth spurt for other reasons. Eat healthy, exercise, take care of your hair, and let it do it's thing naturally. I don't think there are really any shortcuts.

longhairedfairy
August 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
"I don't think there are really any shortcuts."
-Kleis

It'll grow faster if you don't get any "short cuts." Hur hur...

Soniasonia
August 22nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
Be happy with how slow your hair grows. Least you can dye your hair. Mine grows 1/2 inch every 2 weeks so I cannot dye it and have fun as it becomes expensive having to redo the roots so often.

Carolyn
August 22nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
Be happy with how slow your hair grows. Least you can dye your hair. Mine grows 1/2 inch every 2 weeks so I cannot dye it and have fun as it becomes expensive having to redo the roots so often.:) I consider you to be a very lucky woman. Actually I'd kill to have my hair grow that fast.

Pixie, vitamins and supplements can help some if you are nutritionally deficent. MSM and biotin are 2 things that are said to help. It's totally an individual thing. There are a bunch of threads both here and in the archives on vitamins and supplements that may be of interest to you. If you do decide to start a vitamin regimin, remember that it takes at least 3 months to see if something is working for you or not.

Soniasonia
August 22nd, 2008, 07:03 PM
:) I consider you to be a very lucky woman. Actually I'd kill to have my hair grow that fast.

Pixie, vitamins and supplements can help some if you are nutritionally deficent. MSM and biotin are 2 things that are said to help. It's totally an individual thing. There are a bunch of threads both here and in the archives on vitamins and supplements that may be of interest to you. If you do decide to start a vitamin regimin, remember that it takes at least 3 months to see if something is working for you or not.
Awwww thank you:)

longhairedfairy
August 23rd, 2008, 02:30 AM
Soniasonia, I would LOVE to have your problem :)

ETA: PixieChick11, keeping the ends moisturized helps a lot to keep them from drying out and breaking. That way it can seem as if your hair is growing more quickly, but it's really just not breaking off shorter. Always condition. Oil on the ends/length can help quite a bit as well. I use camellia oil with good results :)

Arctic
August 23rd, 2008, 02:47 AM
Some member have had success with monistat treatment, there is a huge ongoing thread about it if you want to read more. Scalp massages also help some people. Living a stressfree, healthy life as much as possible also helps ;)

And one important point, like longhairedfairy said, is to keep your lengths and ends in as good condition as possible, so you can keep maximum amounth of the growth that you do have.

Patience, my friend, patience :flower:

Radulfr
August 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I would like to get more length from my long stalled-out hair.

How often should one use conditioner? Daily?
Every time you shampoo?

eta: just saw some good answers in another thread.
:)

Tapioca
August 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Pixie, vitamins and supplements can help some if you are nutritionally deficent. MSM and biotin are 2 things that are said to help. It's totally an individual thing.

I tried biotin, and it did nothing one way or the other for my hair. However, it made my face break out like I haven't seen since I was 13.

As others have said, focus on keeping your ends nice and healthy and moisturized. That way, you won't need to trim them as often, and that will make the growth seem faster.

RedElephant
August 27th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Time makes hair grow, and nothing makes it pass faster than putting your hair up and out of the way, then getting busy with the rest of your life. The more you look at your hair and agonize over the growth rate, the slower time passes.

I agree 100%.

Slug Yoga
August 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I tried biotin, and it did nothing one way or the other for my hair. However, it made my face break out like I haven't seen since I was 13.

Seconded. :mad: I think that happens a fair amount, because when you google "biotin" and "acne", it seems like more than half the links are people complaining that it made them break out. But some people also take it with no problem of course...

I'll keep telling myself that vitamins have no effect anyway, and that my hair will grow at its genetically programmed rate, because then I won't have to feel bad about not taking hair vitamins. ;)

longhairedfairy
August 28th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Keeping your hair braided while you sleep will also help keep it from getting tangled and damaged. (If anyone already said that, please excuse me. I've got a cold and am being lazy.)

jojo
August 29th, 2008, 05:21 PM
With me i am sure kelp and monistat helps with my growth.

I also take a multi vit a day too but overall its a case of wait and wait and wait....

Chara
September 1st, 2008, 10:34 AM
Can you please explain me what is a Monstat. I googled and found that it is for vagina infections. Are there any pictures. Please, please tell me about this

dor3girl
September 1st, 2008, 10:39 AM
-Kleis

OMHeck! I was totally gonna say that! :cheese:Cheesy humor!

dor3girl
September 1st, 2008, 10:41 AM
Can you please explain me what is a Monstat. I googled and found that it is for vagina infections. Are there any pictures. Please, please tell me about this

There are threads on how to use it here. . .I haven't tried it myself--but maybe someday when I hit a growth plateau. And yes, it IS the same coochie-cream *giggle*

Gumball
September 1st, 2008, 04:06 PM
-Kleis

Bah! I was going to pop in and say something very similar but you beat me to the punch!

OMHeck! I was totally gonna say that! :cheese:Cheesy humor!

Double bah! (see above) Har har.

Really though I do have to agree. Growing hair its longest really has to do with care both of it and of yourself. That optimizes the potential it has to grow.

Growing hair its fastest really means no cutting it at all. That lets it take its own course of action and grow, grow, grow!

Sometimes small trims or at least managing splits can really be beneficial. If you find a balance between all these factors then you'll be in very good standing!