PDA

View Full Version : Is my water frying my hair?

lostchyld
October 29th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I feel like I'm fighting a loosing battle. The bottle of conditioner that I opened a week ago is half gone. Because it's GFTN, I double checked it for 'cones and I know it's not that. The trouble is that I feel like I've been shampooing. It doesn't feel as terrible at my parent's home, but at my apartment, my skin is super dry after doing the dishes or taking a shower and my hair freaks out without a huge amount of conditioner and oil neither of which leave my hair looking greasy or even leave a trace by the time my hair is dry. Both skin and hair do significantly better with an ACV rinse.

I double checked the pH this evening and the chart reads 8.2, which is the highest the chart I have goes, so it could be worse than that.

Would a water softener help? I'm in an apartment, so I can't get one for the whole apartment, but do they make ones for the shower and the kitchen sink, which are the two worst places in my home for water exposure. What brand would you recommend?

teela1978
October 29th, 2012, 10:16 PM
That's quite basic for tap water. Perhaps a quick acidic rinse post-shower would help? Vinegar (either white or apple cider) diluted in a cup of warm tap water would probably do the trick. Lemon or lime juice or citric acid used similarly might also help.

ravenreed
October 29th, 2012, 10:25 PM
With the season's change, my hair and scalp are freaking out right now. My scalp is oilier than normal and my hair is drier than normal. My skin is pretty unhappy too. My hands and lips are chapped, and my face is flaky. I am CO-ing every day right now, and slathering on the moisturizers.

Bopoluchi
October 29th, 2012, 11:18 PM
i had a similar problem with my skin and hair. i dont know about the ph of my water, but i found that having only cold or luke-warm showers helped enormously. i only ever wash my hair in a tub of cold water and thats been amazing, but if you're not up for that i do recommend ditching hot water and seeing if that makes a difference.

Sisko
October 31st, 2012, 02:01 PM
Chlorine. A water filter should help.

lostchyld
October 31st, 2012, 07:31 PM
I gave up this weekend and started ending my showers with diluted ACV over everything, except eyes. The breaking point was when my hands got so stiff that I couldn't bend fingers without feeling like my skin was breaking. I never even touched lotion, pouring the ACV over them helped that much.

I think I'll be getting a water filter this week. My paycheck was long enough to do it and next check should be fairly long as well, so it's affordable immediately.

gthlvrmx
October 31st, 2012, 07:52 PM
a filter may help actually but also, if it IS hard water build up, if you want to remove the minerals that have binded to your hair and you wanna remove them fast, id get something chelating. but if you think it's too harsh to get a chelating shampoo, try club soda. i dont think its exactly an intense chelator but it does break some bonds of like chlorine and some other minerals. theres an article on this that ktani made.
if it is hard water build up, changing the filter will only help keep less minerals affect your hair. whatever is on there will still be there unless you get rid of it with something but i think after a long time i think the build up goes away on its own doesnt it? it just may take a while and i for one do not like putting up with more tangles and sticky dull hair XD id rather take care of the problem right away.

Natalia
October 31st, 2012, 08:41 PM
I feel like I'm fighting a loosing battle. The bottle of conditioner that I opened a week ago is half gone. Because it's GFTN, I double checked it for 'cones and I know it's not that. The trouble is that I feel like I've been shampooing. It doesn't feel as terrible at my parent's home, but at my apartment, my skin is super dry after doing the dishes or taking a shower and my hair freaks out without a huge amount of conditioner and oil neither of which leave my hair looking greasy or even leave a trace by the time my hair is dry. Both skin and hair do significantly better with an ACV rinse.

I double checked the pH this evening and the chart reads 8.2, which is the highest the chart I have goes, so it could be worse than that.

Would a water softener help? I'm in an apartment, so I can't get one for the whole apartment, but do they make ones for the shower and the kitchen sink, which are the two worst places in my home for water exposure. What brand would you recommend?

Cant say for sure in your case but my skin and hair really flips out if i dont have softened water. If you want to experiment id start with a chlorine filter since they are much much cheaper than a softener. If that doesnt work try acid rinses and of that fails waterstick makes a shower softener that is meant for appartments but its $200 usd. I hope you solve your water woes!

Lamb
October 31st, 2012, 08:45 PM
First off, I recommend you check your showerhead and faucet for mineral deposits. Take the showerhead apart and see what's inside. I used to live in an area with extremely hard water, and I emptied what looked like gravel from the faucet and shower head every single week. Not fun, and both my skin and hair suffered.

Make sure you clean said water outlets regularly, either with lime dissolving agents or with ACV or citric acid (diluted!!!) If all else fails, a rinse of demineralized water (distilled water) may help as a final rinse after washing your hair. If you use citric acid in your final rinse, make sure you add 1 tsp to 1.5 litre of (distilled) water, it's strong stuff.

Hard water is the devil's work, I tell you. Whatever you do, do not use anything alkaline (shampoo bars, regular soap etc.) with water like that. Blocked pores and inflammation guaranteed.

lostchyld
October 31st, 2012, 09:21 PM
lol, no soap is a problem with my skin. I get nasty skin with sulfates regardless of the water and with this water my skin is nasty with soap too and sometimes with just conditioner. Another issue is that I can't use most lotions due to breakouts and itching, which makes this issue so much worse. I've never wanted to use lotion at all because it normally leaves me worse than when I started.

I have the water company report for the area, but I can't understand it. If someone has the time and energy and would be willing, here's the link to the Web Water report (http://www.webwater.org/sites/default/files/2010-Consumer-Confidence-Report-%28Sent-June-of-2011%29.pdf)

I'm looking at this WaterChef system. (www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004US0SX2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A1X3W2JNZWTU48) Does anyone have experience with it or recommendations for a different system with a handheld nozzle? Recommendations for one for the kitchen sink would also be appreciated.

Natalia
October 31st, 2012, 10:26 PM
Recommendations for one for the kitchen sink would also be appreciated.

Amazon.com has a 3M one for sinks its like britta but you plumb it in and it works at high pressure. I will see if i still have it in my cart and link to it for ya.

In2wishin
November 14th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I would seriously look into getting a dechlorinating shower head. Acidic rinses will help with very hard water but people don't realise just how much chlorine and chloramine is in their water.

LadyLongLocks
November 19th, 2012, 07:23 AM
I use a shower filter. It makes a big difference. Simply put it between the pipe and the shower head. They are cheap and make a huge difference in my hair and skin.

Kaelee
November 19th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I would seriously look into getting a dechlorinating shower head. Acidic rinses will help with very hard water but people don't realise just how much chlorine and chloramine is in their water.

Oh I know. There is so much chlorine in my water it literally smells like bleach! Not like a pool, but like "dirty bleach" if you know what I mean! So far it hasn't harmed my hair though.