PDA

View Full Version : At The Hairdressers

paper
August 22nd, 2008, 01:01 PM
I've been free of cones, blowdryer, & brush for months now. I'm not planning on going to the hairdressers any time soon. But, my questions is......

When I go to the hairdressers she will use all that stuff. Do you let them, or just ask for a trim and walk out with your hair wet?

EmmaRose
August 22nd, 2008, 01:09 PM
I go in with my hair freshly washed and air dried, and walk out with it wet. Most places charge extra for the shampoo and blow dry anyway. But now that I'm at mid back, I think I'm going to try trimming it myself.

Euphony
August 22nd, 2008, 01:09 PM
My stylist doesn't use anything I don't want her to. I explain to her exactly what I want, she generally asks if it's okay to mist my hair with water, she combs it out, trims it, I pay, I tip, I say thanks and she teases me it'll be a while before we see each other again and I leave. BUT in reading around this forum, I have a wonderful and unusual stylist.

sipnsun
August 22nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
I was a hairdresser and had a client that always brought a hair gel she loved (but we didn't use in our salon) with her. Maybe you should consider taking your own products with you and she shouldn't mind using them. (It will save on hers.)

AutumnLeaves
August 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
I have walked out with wet hair on many many occasions from a salon. It saves me money and damage, especially since I never like the way they do my hair anyway! I haven't found too many people who know how to work with this type of hair that I seem to have. It defies all LHC categories, I think. Just frizzy and pelt-like. I'm so not loving it right now.

Isilme
August 22nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
I go in with moist freshly washed hair. I don't let them brush and I ask them to be very very careful (ripping trough the hair with a tiny comb isn't funny) but I do let them blowdry on the cold setting so they can check for any unevenness.
ETA Then I undo all their work by putting my hair up and misting it with a water and conditioner combo :P

Periwinkle
August 22nd, 2008, 02:12 PM
I always come out with my hair wet. The salon I use charges extra to dry your hair and style it after, so I just go for a wash and cut then go with my hair a bit air dried.

spidermom
August 22nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
I've walked out with wet hair on occasion. I've also sat under the dryer for awhile, moderate temp, and then finished drying the ends myself at an unoccupied styling station (result pic below). My hair stylist is very flexible.

redtea
August 22nd, 2008, 02:31 PM
I don't mind cones, so I let them wash my hair.. I just hate watching them detangle it with those black combs they use! I almost always walk out with it wet since they always want to straighten my hair with a dryer and/or iron. That's the only thing they can ever seem to think of to do with it.

heidi w.
August 22nd, 2008, 03:10 PM
Go in with freshly washed hair and air dried....and have the trim done dry. Bring a comb to detangle for them before they trim.

They do not need to use all that stuff if you don't want.

You're the paying customer. It's that simple.

Be sure to let your stylist know BEFORE THE ACTUAL APPOINTMENT DATE that this is your plan, that you want to trim dry. Get their agreement up front, then make the appointment.

Do not say trim my hair, please. Use a measurement. 1/4 inch trim please or 1 inch trim please. Be specific about what you want.

Tip well for the service, nevertheless. That's how stylists make money. The service money you pay mostly goes to the house for the chair/station rental fee.

It's been a long time since I left with wet hair, but I have. At my length, no one else washes my hair. It's ok to leave with wet or damp hair, too, if you want that hair wash. If you want the wash, then tell them you don't want that sort of thing used on your hair -- again, be specific and tell them before appointment day so they can set up for you and have the right products available.

They might mist your hair if you want a dry trim. This doesn't make it very wet.

heidi w.

heidi w.
August 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
I don't mind cones, so I let them wash my hair.. I just hate watching them detangle it with those black combs they use! I almost always walk out with it wet since they always want to straighten my hair with a dryer and/or iron. That's the only thing they can ever seem to think of to do with it.

There's no other way to dry the hair fast than with a blow dryer or hair dryer of some kind.

If they wait for it to air dry, you'll be there a long time, and they make money on how many people sit in their chair a day -- not on waiting for your hair to dry.

heidi w.

burns_erin
August 22nd, 2008, 03:23 PM
I will usually be very specific. i have also brought my own products. And, unless i have just gotten a real short hair cut i ask them to french braid my hair while wet.

Carolyn
August 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
When I used to get my hair trimmed at my local WM salon I went in with freshly washed, air dried and detangled hair. I discussed this with the stylist before my first trim. I told her I want a dry trim, I'd come in with clean hair, and I didn't want any styling. She was fine with that. Unfortunately she is no longer there. Now I only go to a salon for my high lights and color. I let her use a cone serum and blow dry it. I know how to deal with cones and I love the way it looks when it's blow dried. I wear my hair down the rest of the day and totally enjoy it.

Tapioca
August 22nd, 2008, 03:31 PM
I will usually go in with clean dry hair. While I'm waiting my turn, I'll comb through and detangle it myself, so there are virtually none for her to comb through. I specify exactly how much I want off, and I don't let them wash it. If my hair is washed in one of those bowls, it tangles horribly. I will let her wet it down with a spray bottle of water. (I think the ends get more even with it cut wet, and I love a good blunt cut.) She trims, and I leave with it wet. I usually put it up once I get out the door, anyways. I have one place I go to (Great Clips in Moreno Valley, if you're local) that understands what a dusting is, and only charges me the same as a bangs trim. I still tip her plenty, though.

paper
August 22nd, 2008, 05:45 PM
ETA Then I undo all their work by putting my hair up and misting it with a water and conditioner combo :P

I do that too! As soon as I get home, I wet my hair and style it the way I want.

paper
August 22nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
I will usually be very specific. i have also brought my own products. And, unless i have just gotten a real short hair cut i ask them to french braid my hair while wet.

I was thinking about having her put my hair in a french braid. I've never had that done before. And, it's so pretty.

Curlsgirl
August 22nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
I was thinking about having her put my hair in a french braid. I've never had that done before. And, it's so pretty.

I asked for that once but beware all stylists do NOT know how to french braid! I can do it much better myself!

I go to an Aveda salon for color and I usually leave with it wet because if she blows it dry it really doesn't get straight enough to not use a flat iron. I can blow it dry myself and get it straighter so when I want it straight I do it myself like in my siggy. I like the products they use there. I definitely detangle very well in the car before I go in or while I am waiting. I am going to take my wide tooth comb next time for her to comb it after she rinses the color out because I don't like their combs. I never let her brush it :shudder:

When I went to Super Cuts for a small trim the other day, I went in with it blown straight and detangled and she trimmed it dry. I wouldn't expect a good even trim when curly and would let them mist it. It worked out well this way though so I will probably do it from now on. I was very happy with the results.

wintersun99
August 22nd, 2008, 08:44 PM

Samikha
August 22nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
Personally, I let them do what they want - I don't really think I will get that much damage from blowdrying and cones (cones like there was no tomorrow, they love them at my salon) maybe four times a year or less. I don't hate it enough to go out of my way and ask them to perform their job in a way they are perhaps not confident with. (I tend to be too polite about stuff like this, and let people get away with stuff sometimes.)

I realize that I am a paying customer and can inform them what I want, but it's nice trying something different once in a while. I quite enjoy having completely straight hair after a visit to the salon! It's refreshing to have a change from my usual texture, although I always look forward to clarifying afterward.

paper
August 23rd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks everyone for your replys and advice! It's helpful to see how others handle these things.

HairyCarrie
August 23rd, 2008, 08:57 AM
I just went to the salon the other day for a small trim and also let my gal do whatever she wanted. I'm still a shorty, but felt like an infrequent visit wouldn't undo all the good I've done since finding LHC. I like the shampoo part as a relaxing thing, so wouldn't pass that up!

It was actually interesting to compare the products she used (Paul Mitchell) to my current regime. It was definitely not as good, and I did a "comb out" after leaving the salon and did a shampoo/condition the next morning.

But no harm done, and I really like my salon-gal. She was very interested in the scoop at LHC and said she would check it out.

pariate
August 23rd, 2008, 09:20 AM
The last time I went I just took my own shampoo and conditioner (they were cone and sulfate free, I hadn't switched to CO yet), told them not to use any other products and did indeed leave with wet hair. Yes, they thought I was a bit nutty but I didn't care! :lol:

Buddaphlyy
August 23rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
I ALWAYS take my own products and tools to the salon. I'm not against cones or any of the other "bad" stuff sometimes mentioned, but I am against being a test subject for products or techniques. So I just come prepared.

Neen
August 23rd, 2008, 04:02 PM
I'm with Samikha and HairyCarrie - with all the TLC my hair gets I'm sure it can handle the odd salon visit and I enjoy the shampoo massage and how my hair looks blowdried. I just make sure I clarify and SMT the next time I wash.

rapunzhell13
August 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
I used to be a hairdresser and IMO using scissors on dry hair does not dull the blades. :twocents:

wintersun99
August 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
I used to be a hairdresser and IMO using scissors on dry hair does not dull the blades. :twocents:

ooooh, that makes me angry that I was given that excuse, then! At the time, I had really damaged hair that was made extra worse if combed when wet... it would have been nice to be able to just get it trimmed dry... well, good to know (in the future) :)