PDA

View Full Version : EEEK! PLEASE help me keep my hair out of my face!

fxdwgchick
August 22nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
I can't keep my hair up, hairpins are a joke, hair clips and claws slide out. Even a half bun flops right out as soon as I move my head. Elastics slide out if not 3 or 4 inches above the end...I'm so frustrated.

The last time it got long (really long) I shaved it all off...I'm a groomer, I have the equipment. The DH FREAKED and is sort of freaking now. He's caught me crying several times this month, TODAY he decided to ask me what was wrong, I told him he didn't know what it was like to live like a rag mop. I can't even see when I look down. I've got breakage from the elastic that DOES hold (tightly at the crown, lower bands will slide out, unless they're the no slip recycled tire kind.

I've read tutorials on using hair pins...for me it's a joke. Fakkaras (can't afford a real one now) are too heavy and tear my hair.

SOOOO, this afternoon, if I can't get it up, It's all coming off. I'm tired of being upset about it.

ANY suggestions before it's condemed?

Thanks...Deanna the Dissolutioned

plainjanegirl
August 22nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
Oh I hope you don't cut it. Your hair looks pretty in your pic. Have you tried a basic braid? how about a scrunchie bun? We all have bad hair days ( or weeks). Just hang in there!!

Gumball
August 22nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
I agree that maybe a braid can work. From what I've read I'll take it that the slip your hair has is the problem you're dealing with? That's why things fall out and all. Have you tried getting a little bit of aloe gel and putting some on to your hair before you style? It can take a little of the slip away. It's also water soluble so you can just rinse it out when you shower.

taliarose
August 22nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Oh no don't do that! Have you tried hair sticks????? I couldn't get my hair to stay up until I got my first pair of Mei Fa's (sp). It took three sticks but my hair wouldn't move. Now I can keep it up with only one.

MsBubbles
August 22nd, 2008, 12:30 PM
I'll be watching this thread too! My small, $38 lovely ficcare slips right on out :(. Updos are a joke for me too so I sympathize with you. But if you cut your hair off I would cry. There must be another solution!

sipnsun
August 22nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Your hair is so gorgeous, I hope you can find something that works. My mom is a groomer and sometimes on bad hair days she uses a bandana to hold her hair back. She has several different ones for riding her motorcycle and they do the trick. I usually braid it (pretty tight) for her the night before, and then in the morning she just ties her bandana on (like housekeepers used to wear) and it keeps it out of her face. Good luck and please don't get the clippers to your hair again.:)

fxdwgchick
August 22nd, 2008, 12:38 PM
It's really frustrating. My hair's so heavy. You'd think it would be easy. My sister, who had classic lenth hair, could whip hers up in something victorian without moving from her position, and then tuck it in and it stayed that way until she took it out.

I think genetics plays a big part in this. I'm Scots-Irish and Cherokee. I have a LOT of hair, but it's only got a bit of a wave to it and is not coarse enough to hold. I got the American hair, she got the scots hair!

EmmaRose
August 22nd, 2008, 12:43 PM
I know when I gave up 'cone laden conditioner, my hair could hold an updo a lot better, perhaps you should check your products. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2216 has a list of 'cone free conditioners.

fxdwgchick
August 22nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
I know when I gave up 'cone laden conditioner, my hair could hold an updo a lot better, perhaps you should check your products. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2216 has a list of 'cone free conditioners.

What exactly are cones?

EmmaRose
August 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Basically, they are silicone. Hair product companies put them in conditioner and other things to provide shine, and slipperiness. But this article explains it MUCH better than I can. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13

Hope this helps.

serenitygal
August 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Perhaps try practicing with various updoes? My sister has hair that is similar to your, very shiny and smooth and straight, and the only way that she found to get updoes to stay in place was to use a LOT of hairpins--perhaps as many as 20 or 30 in an updo.
I know it takes me quite some time to have my fingers "learn" an updo, and this might be the case with you, too. I'd suggest putting in a lot of aloe (to take away some slip) and practicing.
My Fakkare has to be positioned properly, or else it tugs unmercifully. Try moving it around in an updo.
I'd also suggest a braided updo, as those seem to be more balanced. A braided bun held with pins would probably balance the best and tug least. With your length, a braided chinese bun would look lovely, too; while my length wouldn't support it, even my updo-challenged fingers can make it. Look over in the articles section.

For the moment, a simple English braid will keep it out of your face and off your neck.

I know it's frustrating. When I last had long hair, I had no idea how to deal with it or how to put it up. I ended up chopping it off. While that was probably a good thing in the long run because of the amount of damage (I had splits all the way up the hair shaft), I still wish that I had some of my length back.

Good luck! :flowers:

sipnsun
August 22nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
Cones are short for silicones. A lot of people here (myself included) don't use them because after long use, they can cause the hair to dry out. Some people love them and use them religously, it just depends on your hair.

fxdwgchick
August 22nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
Brace yerself, Fay's a comin' :)

Xandergrammy
August 22nd, 2008, 01:15 PM
If you can at all manage a french braid or a braided ponytail, I think that would work.

Chromis
August 22nd, 2008, 01:22 PM
The last time it got long (really long) I shaved it all off...I'm a groomer, I have the equipment. The DH FREAKED and is sort of freaking now. He's caught me crying several times this month, TODAY he decided to ask me what was wrong, I told him he didn't know what it was like to live like a rag mop. I can't even see when I look down. I've got breakage from the elastic that DOES hold (tightly at the crown, lower bands will slide out, unless they're the no slip recycled tire kind.

It sounds to me perhaps that there is another issue here than the hair!

Although there should indeed be multiple ways of securing hair at your length I think a foolproof, guaranteed to get it out of your way might be the turn to here, after all many people still get little whispies in our faces even when our hair is tied up. I would recommend trying bandannas, large scarves, buffs or maybe even a pony scrub. This way *all* of your hair is away from your face, esp if you also braid it. You might also have luck with braiding or buns combined with very wide headbands. As a tip, it is often easier to learn to do braided bun variants for some people.

fxdwgchick
August 22nd, 2008, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the list. Btw, that TS thing was for you, fay's on the way...you can have her, she's been here for 4 days, the sun peeked out about 20 minutes ago, now I hear thunder...

I went to the Dove website (that's what I grabbed last time while wondering if the WEN really works) and read the ingrediants, but silicone is not listed. Would it be listed as something else?

Gumball
August 22nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Cones are listed with anything that ends in -cone or -siloxane. That might help when looking. :)

EmmaRose
August 22nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the list. Btw, that TS thing was for you, fay's on the way...you can have her, she's been here for 4 days, the sun peeked out about 20 minutes ago, now I hear thunder...

Thanks for the warning. She's supposed to be here for three or four days as well. :(

I went to the Dove website (that's what I grabbed last time while wondering if the WEN really works) and read the ingrediants, but silicone is not listed. Would it be listed as something else?

There's a list in the "to cone or not to cone" article I linked earlier this thread, you have to scroll way down for it. I am fairly sure Dove has cones, though.

fxdwgchick
August 22nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
Cones are listed with anything that ends in -cone or -siloxane. That might help when looking. :)

There's nothing there listed that way. Maybe I should try WO and see if it adds a little texture to my hair.

I've used scrunchies and braids for...ever. I've always had long hair, I've always had a pontail or braid (not intricate braiding...I tried one the other night. It stuck to my head but it didn't look like anything I'd ever seen).

Thanks so much for all the suggestion! I'll keep trying...I'll see if I can find pics of myself before and after the clipper vac incident.

fxdwgchick
August 22nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the warning. She's supposed to be here for three or four days as well. :(

There's a list in the "to cone or not to cone" article I linked earlier this thread, you have to scroll way down for it. I am fairly sure Dove has cones, though.

We've had over 20" so far, it's pouring again but the wind's died down. I turned on the news this am. Video of people rescuing...PERCH off of their PORCH. Newsman asked people to please not drag boogey boards behind cars because it's causing a wake in yards, messing up landscaping
Oh, thanks, I'll go back and find it.

Periwinkle
August 22nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
Try a beebutt with a scrunchie. It's probably the easiest updo I've learned: all you need is a scrunchie and it holds...and holds...and holds...

Take your hair and gather it in a ponytail (you might be able to make the style even more secure if you secure the pony with an elastic). Start twisting it and make a coil. Then keep making coils, each one under the last one (so you're always coiling around the base of the pony) until you've used up about 2/3 of your hair. Then take the scrunchy over once and hold it round your wrist (like tying a ponytail). Then keep coiling the hair as before and then make one more loop with the scrunchie when you're finished.

I hope you manage to find something that works for you!

EmmaRose
August 22nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
We've had over 20" so far, it's pouring again but the wind's died down.

Yeah, we've been warned that we should get more that 12", and sustained winds of 40-45 mph. The outer most bands will hit sometime this evening. I just moved here two months ago! What a welcome!

Poetic
August 22nd, 2008, 02:11 PM
Have you considered hair combs? I find if you buy the right ones they hold great.

Soniasonia
August 22nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
How bout one of those thick elastic head band and a braid? That would completely keep it out of your face.

fxdwgchick
August 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
Thank you for the beebut instructions. I'll try that now. Right now I have the belt to my toddler niece's pool robe holding it back.

fxdwgchick
August 22nd, 2008, 03:07 PM
Yeah, we've been warned that we should get more that 12", and sustained winds of 40-45 mph. The outer most bands will hit sometime this evening. I just moved here two months ago! What a welcome!

You know, just enjoy the immensity of it. It's not a hurricane, just a much needed bout of rainfall. There will be very little thunder or lightening, but the wind blowing the rain sideways and wind making the trees sway, palm trees have an amazing dance in a strong storm.

It's truly a spectacle, and, being a 500 mile wide storm, you can really feel the power!

Do get water and junk (I stocked up on sugar doughnuts) and make sure you have batteries just in case (I lost power 3 times for a total of 46 minutes...last time it was 14 days).

I LOVE tropical storms and hurricane weather!

I was in Homestead in 1992 (Aug 22, 3am) when Andrew hit. It had sustained winds of 200 mph for over 7 hours. I did NOT LOVE that particular storm. It was the most horrific thing I've ever experienced.

Tapioca
August 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
I'd also suggest a braided bun (has someone already said this?)

Start with a ponytail at the back of your head, tied off with an elastic. Braid the length, and tie off with another elastic. Wrap the braid around, and secure. I've used sticks, but small claw clips hold the best. If I'm having a slippery day, I'll use more clips. A good day is three clips, a bad day is more like six.

fxdwgchick
August 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
That's one hairstyle I love, but it's also what's causing so much damage. I ride a bike, so I tie my hair off, braid it down, then tie it off. The elastics are destroying my hair in the 2 places. I'm going to try eliminating the cones and see if it's not so slippery.

physicschick
August 22nd, 2008, 07:29 PM
That's one hairstyle I love, but it's also what's causing so much damage. I ride a bike, so I tie my hair off, braid it down, then tie it off. The elastics are destroying my hair in the 2 places.

First, don't tie it off at the top before braiding. I used to do that and also had a lot of damage from the top elastic. (It took me months of practice to make a decent braid without tying it first, but finally I got the hang of it.) Second, is there something less damaging you could use for the bottom elastic? A longhair stylist once recommended tying a suede leather cord at the bottom since that is grippy but non-damaging. I haven't tried it, though.

Cinnamon.locks
August 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Please don't cut your gorgeous hair! :( you have such beautiful, shiny and smooth hair. I have a similar type of hair as yours, and used to despair about finding something that would hold it, then i found a regular braid and miracle. it works great, i strarted by making two braids native american style, and once i managed to make the braids well i started doing a single braid. other things that also work great for me are hair claws (those large claws you use to keep hair parted when cutting or coloring.) they slipped at first until i learned how to gather my hair into them and make them hang on. I usually take my wet hair and start twisting it until it begins to twist onto itself, i pull it up toward the top of my head and place the claw in the middle of my head and cover the entire thing. the ends cover the claw and it stays up until i take it down. other things that work also are the bee butt bun, i use a hair band wound just tight enough around the bun to hold it well and also i use scrunchies and no metal rubber bands for my braid.

Hope i was able to help you some. please wait 2 weeks before cutting your hair, try learning french braids and other types of styles, and if you have to use aloe vera gel, but the purest possible to take some of the slip out of your hair. just wait a couple of weeks before actually deciding to cut.

intothemist1999
August 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
I can't keep my hair up, hairpins are a joke, hair clips and claws slide out. Even a half bun flops right out as soon as I move my head. Elastics slide out if not 3 or 4 inches above the end...I'm so frustrated.

My hair doesn't hold well, except for a few things. For the OTHER do's I want to do where my hair won't hold, I've found what makes ALL the difference is to braid my hair and (whenever) let out the braids to give lots of wave. I can't tell you how much difference that makes for me!

HTH!

Tressie
August 22nd, 2008, 09:19 PM
:)Oh please don't cut your gorgeous hair! I didn't read every post so someone may have already covered this, but have you tried a velvet scrunchie? I have trouble with everything sliding out of my hair too, but I find a velvet scrunchie wrapped tightly will hold. Flip your hair over your head and comb carefully smooth, then gather your hair into a pony tail on top of your head and wrap the scrunchie tightly. You can loop the length of your hair and tuck the ends into the band, or you can braid the length and secure with a thinner scrunchie or a special snag-free elastic. Let your braid hang down or wrap it around the scrunchie and secure with a pin or two. This will definitely get your hair out of the way! Don't give up! Velvet and textured fabric scrunchies hold better than some other types, but you do have to wrap them around until they are snug!:o

NurseMama
August 22nd, 2008, 09:25 PM

I agree with EmmaRose! Cones can make already fine hair even more slippery!

Please don't cut.. Give it some time to try new things. That is a whole lot of growth you are talking about sacrificing.

Slug Yoga
August 22nd, 2008, 11:07 PM
I have found that a french braid is about the best thing for keeping my hair totally out of my face. Even better, I flip the end of the braid up and double it and then pin it with a fakkare, and the fact that the head part is french braided keeps it from slipping at all.

If you can't french braid, this is the video that taught me how. I just didn't get it until this video. My french braids are crappy and lumpy, but they do hold!

http://www.ehow.com/video_17115_french-braid-hair.html

Darkhorse1
August 22nd, 2008, 11:09 PM
Not sure if this will help, but sometimes instead of putting a barrette/clip just 'through' hair, do a twist or fold first. That action will help 'secure' it if hair is slippery/soft. Braids are the best. There are some great tutorials here if you go to the frequent links. I know you could probably use a product to make your hair 'sticky', but I'd fear that'd be royally goopy, gross and bad for your hair.

Don't cut! It's too gorgeous! How about some terry cloth hair ties? I find some people who have fine hair do well with them.

winter_star
August 23rd, 2008, 04:54 AM
Not sure if this has been covered but you could pull your hair back into some sort of bandana or scarf. A head band is good to keep it off your face too. I know you can also by no-slip grip ahir accessories which work really well in my hair.

I hope you find something that works well with your hair. And please don't cut it, it look pretty.

manderly
August 23rd, 2008, 04:57 AM
What about a headband?

tameriska
August 23rd, 2008, 05:09 AM
Another thing is, how often do you wash your hair?
Personally I find that the first day of freshly washed hair is a lot more slippery, and fluffy with flyaway's. If you have to, gel it back, or maybe a light spray of hairspray (I know, I am talking bad stuff) let dry, then styled will give your hair a little less slipperyness.
My hair stays up a lot better if it is a day (or couple after being washed) or if it is slightly damp when put up

intothemist1999
August 23rd, 2008, 08:45 AM
Velvet and textured fabric scrunchies hold better than some other types, but you do have to wrap them around until they are snug!:o

also, I find if I'm determined to where my favourite scrunchie that just won't stay, I'll secure the pony with a cover elastic first, then add the scrunchie.

pariate
August 23rd, 2008, 09:29 AM
I really hope you find something that works! It seems like such a shame to cut off so much hair, but I'm very biased! :lol: I have lots of wispies etc, and some longer strands that seem to refuse to stay put. I use little kirby grips (small waved hair pins) or pretty slides to keep those sections tucked away. I'm not sure what to suggest for hair that is too heavy or too slippy though...

insideitall
August 23rd, 2008, 10:16 AM
terry cloth hairties? those sounds really neat.

my hair is fine, and while not especially slippery, when it's up in a bun it's a lot of weight for a clip to hold. the only way I can get a bun (braided or not, sometimes with a knot) is if my hair is wet first. luckily, I shower in the morning, but one time I didn't and I had to redo my bun so many times at work I lost count. ditto with making braids - hair needs to be wet or it'll be way too loose.

I second the wide headbands. They have those ones that are cloth along the top and elastic underneath; you could buy those, or make your own if you're crafty enough. Hairsticks work fairly well for me - I'm too cheap to buy real ones so I use chopsticks (try www.everythingchopsticks.com or www.asianideas.com). I have to make a ponytail first, put the sticks in, and then wrap the hair around em. French or Dutch pigtails work pretty well too, and then to control those flyaways you could use a rolled up bandana, or some prewrap. They make tons of colors, and a 30yd roll is only a few bucks.

I currently have a white rain shampoo and a suave conditioner, and I'm fairly sure there are no silicones in there.

fxdwgchick
August 23rd, 2008, 04:53 PM
My hair doesn't hold well, except for a few things. For the OTHER do's I want to do where my hair won't hold, I've found what makes ALL the difference is to braid my hair and (whenever) let out the braids to give lots of wave. I can't tell you how much difference that makes for me!

HTH!

OH THANK YOU! I didn't even think of that! I've been admiring all of this curly hair thinking "they don't know how lucky they are to be able to sweep up their hair and have a life!" I have to plan a day to simply try to put mine up! I'll try it!

fxdwgchick
August 23rd, 2008, 05:02 PM
:)Oh please don't cut your gorgeous hair! I didn't read every post so someone may have already covered this, but have you tried a velvet scrunchie? I have trouble with everything sliding out of my hair too, but I find a velvet scrunchie wrapped tightly will hold. Flip your hair over your head and comb carefully smooth, then gather your hair into a pony tail on top of your head and wrap the scrunchie tightly. You can loop the length of your hair and tuck the ends into the band, or you can braid the length and secure with a thinner scrunchie or a special snag-free elastic. Let your braid hang down or wrap it around the scrunchie and secure with a pin or two. This will definitely get your hair out of the way! Don't give up! Velvet and textured fabric scrunchies hold better than some other types, but you do have to wrap them around until they are snug!:o

I think my problem is cones...after a LOT of reading and quite a bit of advice, I think it's the conditioner I use. My hair's so slippery nothing will stay in place except elastics, and I ride a bike, so I do a lot of damage with them. It was suggested to me that I braid my hair to get extra body before trying to put it up...what a fantastic idea!!...just when you think you're brilliant...

fxdwgchick
August 23rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
First, don't tie it off at the top before braiding. I used to do that and also had a lot of damage from the top elastic. (It took me months of practice to make a decent braid without tying it first, but finally I got the hang of it.) Second, is there something less damaging you could use for the bottom elastic? A longhair stylist once recommended tying a suede leather cord at the bottom since that is grippy but non-damaging. I haven't tried it, though.

I was wondering today if a leather tie would work!! I know that was a primary hair tie for hundreds of years!