PDA

View Full Version : How healthy is my hair? Pics inside!

daredevil14
October 29th, 2012, 05:31 PM
It's been almost 2 years and a few months now since I started to grow my hair, I am a guy with almost shoulder-length hair! I've damaged my hair in the past due to ignorance in such field (now of course, I DO read about hair care) and a few chemical straightening (now of course, I STOPPED this!)

I am really interested in knowing if my hair is healthy enough or is good in general, my typical routine: a CO-washing each other day with a conditioner containing SLS but not any -cone! I usually wet my hair, shower, wet-comb after applying the conditioner and then re-shower and re-apply the same conditioner with a final cold rinse! The result is pretty good with air-drying! Here's a pic after a shower:

http://i45.tinypic.com/140xn2r.jpg

Now on the non-washing days, I usually wet my ends and roll them into 2 large strands of hair before releasing them and leaving them to air-dry, it is possible to restore almost 80% of my hair shape of a wash day, such as this picture (picture taken under the sun's light effect):

http://i49.tinypic.com/rac19k.jpg

However when twisting it alot and, yes headbanging is nice, it becomes a bit messy, however still with good curls (though not that shown in this picture):

http://i46.tinypic.com/2w3dppe.jpg

So far, everything is fine, now one of my issues is some of my hair strands (I discussed this issue on another topic), part of my hair is growing in a different way, yes in a frizzy way! It's annoying especially when I wanna wear it in a pony tail, it becomes like a nest (not the ends which are relatively curly), I tried to use a leave-in conditioner however with a -cone, short term effect is good but the long term one can be drying so my hair kind of dislikes any cone-based product! Here's a picture:

http://i49.tinypic.com/10r607m.jpg

Notice that the totally-wet hair strands will become curly, however the semi-dry (especially in the upper middle) hair is the nest! Even when my hair is soaking wet, there's always a dry-looking hair, I took a close look using 2 mirrors, I discovered that this hair is growing from the scalp like that! Which totally makes me worried about the future of my hair when it grows more and more!

So what do you think of my hair's health? My problem above is still fine, however I am really worried about the future of my hair, I DONT wanna cut it at all!

Any feedback is highly appreciated :)

jacqueline101
October 29th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I don't think its unhealthy. The frizziness could be from a product or outside factor. Try the curly method.

biogirl87
October 29th, 2012, 10:28 PM
While I may not like the look of long hair on guys even when it's long healthy hair, I do think yours is healthy. I only have a few curls in my hair and so mostly treat it as wavy hair, so can't really make any suggestions on what you could do, other than CO (which you're already doing) and anti-frizz gel/serum/spray.

vanillabones
October 31st, 2012, 02:20 PM
Your hair looks healthy to me and I love your curls. I do not know how to take care of curly or coarse hair well but I just wanted to say you having some killer locks :D

spidermom
October 31st, 2012, 02:26 PM
Yes, it looks to be in really good condition.

LadyCelestina
October 31st, 2012, 02:46 PM
A curly here who had exactly the same problem! A fluffy frizzy untamable lock at my canopy!
I discovered that I wasn't distributing my leave-in to this particular area.It's on the side of my hair,in the back and close to the roots,so it's kinda hard to get it when coating my hair in leave-in and not paying attention to what I'm doing :D. But since I started looking for this particular strand when applying my leave-in,it got much less frizzy.

ETA: Your hair looks very healthy and is very pretty too!

kitschy
October 31st, 2012, 03:10 PM
Looks healthy to me, it is quite similar to mine.

Many people see curly hair and think that it is damaged because it is fuzzy. Well,... fuzzy is what healthy natural curl does!

You might be able to reduce the frizz somewhat by not touching or manipulating your hair as it dries, and by not disturbing your curl pattern with towel drying. At least for me, the frizz I get somewhat reduces shine - that is perhaps why some people think they see damage, just because curly hair doesn't reflect light in the same way that flat hair does.

maborosi
October 31st, 2012, 09:20 PM
Your hair is gorgeous- I love your curls!

It looks to be in good shape, it's got quite a lot of shine!

I'm unfortunately not too knowledgeable about caring for curly hair specifically, but I know some people have really good success with the CurlyGirl method.

~maborosi~

goldloli
October 31st, 2012, 11:10 PM
daredevil, dont worry about the nest, it happens to some of us curlies and there isnt a lot you can do about it. it is healthy hair its just a different texture/hair type. some people find adding extra oil/leave in to the area helps stop the tangles and breakage that can happen there.

your hair looks healthy. for second day hair look into a product such as boots curl cream.