PDA

View Full Version : Ask hair questions here!!-- sticky/pin?

eros
October 29th, 2012, 03:49 PM
I've had this idea for quite a while now.
Lately, the forum has been down alot. I have read that for the large part this is because of constant new threads being made. (I am guilty of this aswell,sorry!) I thought it would be a good idea to make a new thread,solely made for hair questions. Not only will this reduce the amount of threads being made, but posts aswell! so common questions AND server maintenance can be avoided. I know theres already a random hair questions thread, but this was over a year ago and I don't know if bumping it will help alot. If it gets stickied,or stays on top somehow, the thread will be the first thing people see, and people wont make as many new threads for a single question.
...I do apologize if it has already been decided that there will be no hair questions thread for some reason.

rtree721
October 29th, 2012, 03:52 PM
This is a good idea!

alexis917
October 29th, 2012, 04:51 PM
This is the first time in a month or two I've been able to post!
I'd been getting a message saying the forum was too busy or something.
Glad it's back to normal.

That said, my question is:
Is there anything that you really believe speeds growth, aside from time?
Some people insist that things that guarantee fast growth are gimmicks,
but others swear that doing x, or avoiding the use of x, has allowed their hair to grow much faster than it's normal rate.

Also, how often do you prefer to trim?

Miss Catrina
October 29th, 2012, 04:53 PM
This is the first time in a month or two I've been able to post!
I'd been getting a message saying the forum was too busy or something.
Glad it's back to normal.

That said, my question is:
Is there anything that you really believe speeds growth, aside from time?
Some people insist that things that guarantee fast growth are gimmicks,
but others swear that doing x, or avoiding the use of x, has allowed their hair to grow much faster than it's normal rate.

Also, how often do you prefer to trim?

I swear Biotin DOES speed it up! Even if I didn't notice the change in my hair, the change in my nails would be pretty good proof.

jacqueline101
October 29th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I increased my biotin 7500mcg. Thinking about working on new experiments for faster growth. Going to monistat full strength.

Miss Catrina
October 29th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I increased my biotin 7500mcg. Thinking about working on new experiments for faster growth. Going to monistat full strength.

Jacqueline, I notice effects at just 1000 mcg per day. I don't think megadosing makes a difference. Please be careful about taking large amounts of vitamins! :blossom:

I hope the powers that be can get the server issues sorted out soon. This thread could be a good quick fix but not a longterm solution. If there aren't new threads for questions, this whole place could die out, not to mention the difficulty of linking to or finding pre-existing info when it doesn't have a topic of its own. I also have visions of people getting mad when someone makes a whole thread for a question not realizing...

Sarahlabyrinth
October 29th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Ok, this isn't a hair question but an observation: Now that I have several inches of virgin undyed hair I have noticed that it is much smoother and sleeker than the dyed hair. I never realised how much damage dye actually does...I can feel the difference!

shutterpillar
October 29th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Ok, this isn't a hair question but an observation: Now that I have several inches of virgin undyed hair I have noticed that it is much smoother and sleeker than the dyed hair. I never realised how much damage dye actually does...I can feel the difference!

Me too! I was actually just observing this in the mirror a couple of hours ago. I only have about 4 inches of virgin growth, so it will be 2 or 3 years before all of my dye is gone, but I am SOOOO looking forward to it!

eros
October 31st, 2012, 02:35 PM
Me too! I was actually just observing this in the mirror a couple of hours ago. I only have about 4 inches of virgin growth, so it will be 2 or 3 years before all of my dye is gone, but I am SOOOO looking forward to it!

does this count for herbal dyes as well?(henna,indigo,amla,etc)?

AMD
October 31st, 2012, 03:59 PM
I've had this question for a bit, and I hope its not silly.
When measuring BSL on yourself, do you look for the hair to reach the top or base of the bra strap?

thanks!

shutterpillar
October 31st, 2012, 04:16 PM
does this count for herbal dyes as well?(henna,indigo,amla,etc)?

I cant answer that, eros, as I have never used herbal dyes.

When measuring BSL on yourself, do you look for the hair to reach the top or base of the bra strap?

thanks!

Different people measure it differently. Some say the top, others say the bottom, some say the middle, most say it doesn't matter unless your bra is properly fitted. ;) Others just use the bottom of their shoulder blades as a marker for BSL.
Personally, I did not count mine as BSL until my hair was in the center of my bra strap.

AMD
October 31st, 2012, 04:32 PM
I cant answer that, eros, as I have never used herbal dyes.

Different people measure it differently. Some say the top, others say the bottom, some say the middle, most say it doesn't matter unless your bra is properly fitted. ;) Others just use the bottom of their shoulder blades as a marker for BSL.
Personally, I did not count mine as BSL until my hair was in the center of my bra strap.

Thank you!:D

Singinghoneybee
November 14th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I have a question (of course). I am trying to convince my mother to try not using heat on her hair to beat it into submission. She always complains about how long it takes to make it behave and then about how awful it looks. My theory is that she would enjoy her hair more if she wasn't constantly fighting against it's natural texture. I don't think I have ever seen her natural texture, but I would guess it is somewhere in the 2's. However, she is unwilling to forgo heat unless I can come up with an alternate plan. The problem? I have no experience with wavy hair. Do any of you 2's have suggestions? My hair is in the 3's, so I understand a lot of her problems, but I am afraid my own methods of controlling frizz would overwhelm her hair. Advice?

Oraien
November 18th, 2012, 05:21 PM
This is an awesome idea since whenever I try to post atm I get an ugly error and lose my attempt- could I get some help in finding some paraben/sulfate/phthalate free shampoos or conditioners? My hair likes baking soda and vinegar in the summer but as it gets colder, it's much too harsh and drying, but a lot of things I've tried (Argan oil, coconut oil, conditioner only) make my hair SUPER oily. I'm currently using Giovanni shampoo with some luck and sort of wistfully looking at Chagrin Valley shampoo bars but not sure they're worth the expense- any suggestions or help would be sooo so appreciated- I have a lot of very fine, naturally wavy/slightly curly hair that hasn't seen a chemical dye in over a year- I did use henna on it (and intend to do so again).

Any help? Any tips for managing my mane? In 2012 I went from shoulder to BSL and am almost completely rid of all chemicals in my personal care routine. This is the final push and I really want to find something my hair likes before 2013.

biogirl87
November 18th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I've got a question about hair brushes and combs. About two motnhs ago I quit using the old ball bristle brush I was using practically all my life and switched to a wide tooth comb. Lately I've been missing the feeling I used to have every morning when I brushed my hair with ball bristle brush. If the balls on the tips of the ball bristle brushes are attached securely (ie I can't tear them off with my fingernails), are they really bad for your hair? Originally I thought I'd grow my hair out to BSL, but now am thinking that growing it to around waist might not be a such a bad idea. I read on some sites that boar bristle brushes are preferred. Today while at TJ Maxx, I got a couple of natural bristle brushes, but neither says that it's specifically boar bristle. One of them is this one:

http://www.earththerapeutics.net/prodinfo.asp?number=9895

Would it be as good as a BBB or should I look for a brush that specifically states that it's a BBB? Also, is it better to get a BBB where bristles are attached directly into a wood base or a BBB that has a cushioned base? Lately I've been noticing my hair not being as thick as it used to be and I'd like to get to brushes because my hair looks like it has more volume after brushing then after combing. Please help. Thank you.

Also, between BBB and TT, which is better for longer hair?

Ambystoma
November 18th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Singinghoneybee, I have 2b hair and rag/sock curls are my favourite styling option since it looks "done" and because all the baby hairs are going in the same direction and dry that way without being handled it cuts down on the frizz problem loads. I have the best luck very lightly spraying dry hair with water, rolling on 2 or 3 handkerchiefs and then letting it dry for at least 4 hours, I usually just wear it like that to bed (my hair takes a crazy long time to dry though so it might be different for her). She might go for it since once you get the hang of it your styling time is literally 5 minutes at night and 2 minutes max in the morning,( I just use a wide tooth comb, but she could use a fine tooth and a little shine serum if she's having trouble getting it sleek) which is probably heaps less time and effort than she is spending now. This is a really good tutorial that might help your mum out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXsCxRjPFw4&list=PL19B8AA0CED2A60DD&index=6&feature=plpp_video

LadyKate
November 19th, 2012, 10:41 PM
I tried to post this as a new thread, but couldn't get it to work. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.
Wedding hair help!

I found a lovely picture on the pinterest, that I would like to recreate/approximate for my wedding. That being said, I would love some input on how people think that may have been done, and I would worship anyone who created a good youtube tutorial of said hairstyle. (Hint, hint, my hair gurus, Torrin and La Dolly Vita...) Any help would be appreciated!
http://pinterest.com/pin/182958803583360578/

LadyKate
November 19th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I tried to post this as a new thread, but couldn't get it to work. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.
Wedding hair help!

I found a lovely picture on the pinterest, that I would like to recreate/approximate for my wedding. That being said, I would love some input on how people think that may have been done, and I would worship anyone who created a good youtube tutorial of said hairstyle. (Hint, hint, my hair gurus, Torrin and La Dolly Vita...) Any help would be appreciated!

Siiri
November 20th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I've got a question about hair brushes and combs. About two motnhs ago I quit using the old ball bristle brush I was using practically all my life and switched to a wide tooth comb. Lately I've been missing the feeling I used to have every morning when I brushed my hair with ball bristle brush. If the balls on the tips of the ball bristle brushes are attached securely (ie I can't tear them off with my fingernails), are they really bad for your hair? Originally I thought I'd grow my hair out to BSL, but now am thinking that growing it to around waist might not be a such a bad idea. I read on some sites that boar bristle brushes are preferred. Today while at TJ Maxx, I got a couple of natural bristle brushes, but neither says that it's specifically boar bristle. One of them is this one:

Would it be as good as a BBB or should I look for a brush that specifically states that it's a BBB? Also, is it better to get a BBB where bristles are attached directly into a wood base or a BBB that has a cushioned base? Lately I've been noticing my hair not being as thick as it used to be and I'd like to get to brushes because my hair looks like it has more volume after brushing then after combing. Please help. Thank you.

I have used a BBB before but it felt like it was too abrasive for my hair so I stopped using it. To me what it did was smooth the hair a bit. But some do like them for spreading the sebum from the roots to the length and it's supposed to stimulate the hair follicles. It disrupts the curls more than a regular brush I think, but mine isn't very wavy so I'm not really sure. TT is meant for detangling the hair, you don't detangle with a BBB because they are too dense and would rip your hair. You can use your comb to detangle first. As far as I know BBBs without cushion are easier to clean thoroughly.

There are bristle brushes without the separate balls on the tips too you know, with rounded tips. I occasionally use one of those if I want more volume or to stretch out (roller) curls if they come out too tight. A better option is to use a wooden pin brush, because they don't have seams in the pins and don't cause static, like this one for example: http://www.earththerapeutics.net/prodinfo.asp?number=9873
Most of them have more rounded tips, those look a bit sharp to me. I wouldn't recommend using a brush with separate balls, because they do usually loosen with use and there's one more seam to rip your hair, even if you can't really see it. I haven't used TTs myself so I can't really say anything about them.

alexis917
November 20th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I have another question, ....well, questions, for all of you who henna!

Is it best to henna with clean hair, or second day hair?

Do you add lemon juice? Tea? Water?

Do you have someone apply it for you, or do it yourself?

I'm going to henna my hair in the summer,
to reward myself for going over a year (about six months now)
without chemical dye.

I had my hair dyed black so I could grow it out and my roots wouldn't be very visible-
my hair is a natural dark brown with red tones.
Now I have grown, trimmed, grown, trimmed, and the bottom four or five inches has been dyed,
but the majority of my hair is virgin.

Will the dyed portions of my hair react differently?

LadyLongLocks
November 20th, 2012, 01:05 PM

I have the same BBB from earth therapeutics and I really like it a lot. Im not a big fan of the TT.
I like my BBB for a pre-wash brush. Only problem is that my hair is so long that it makes it a harder process.
Better for long hair? They do different things. I would say a BBB after a WTC.

Siiri
November 20th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Wedding hair help!

Probably people at the braid thread might have better suggestions on how to do that, but to me it looks like the braid is either a dutch or lace braid done with just some of the hair with the roots hidden well or it's just a regular loose english braid that's been pinned into place. The ends are curled and probably pinned back into some sort of loose bun.

There are quite a lot of dutch and lace side braid/head band tutorials on youtube. Here's one done with a dutch braid I found that's somewhat similar but less voluminus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bixQF7dkrA&feature=plcp

ravenreed
November 21st, 2012, 08:43 AM
My hair was always a crazy bunch of all over the place until I let it get long enough to weigh it down. I never heat styled or anything, but I also always looked like I stuck my finger in a light socket. When I switched to CO my frizz went away, which has helped. However, I am going to say that unless your mom wants hair advice, you should probably let her alone. Be happy with your hair and if she sees you enjoying yours, then maybe she will start asking for advice on hers.

I have a question (of course). I am trying to convince my mother to try not using heat on her hair to beat it into submission. She always complains about how long it takes to make it behave and then about how awful it looks. My theory is that she would enjoy her hair more if she wasn't constantly fighting against it's natural texture. I don't think I have ever seen her natural texture, but I would guess it is somewhere in the 2's. However, she is unwilling to forgo heat unless I can come up with an alternate plan. The problem? I have no experience with wavy hair. Do any of you 2's have suggestions? My hair is in the 3's, so I understand a lot of her problems, but I am afraid my own methods of controlling frizz would overwhelm her hair. Advice?

Torrin Paige
December 6th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Probably people at the braid thread might have better suggestions on how to do that, but to me it looks like the braid is either a dutch or lace braid done with just some of the hair with the roots hidden well or it's just a regular loose english braid that's been pinned into place. The ends are curled and probably pinned back into some sort of loose bun.

There are quite a lot of dutch and lace side braid/head band tutorials on youtube. Here's one done with a dutch braid I found that's somewhat similar but less voluminus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bixQF7dkrA&feature=plcp

Siiri's got the right of it -it's just a straight up English braid on top -no lace or Dutch or anything. The rest of the hair as been curled and pulled back into a loose bun and that one small section has been braided and swept back with it. Then you poke a few flowers in and you're good to go. Simple. The most difficult part is going to be getting the swoopy bit up front to lay right -mine is too thick to get a convincing swoop. LOL.

rock007junkie
December 6th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Does curl loosening occur with Cassia (as it so often does with henna)?

browneyedsusan
December 6th, 2012, 08:15 AM

without chemical dye.

I had my hair dyed black so I could grow it out and my roots wouldn't be very visible-
Now I have grown, trimmed, grown, trimmed, and the bottom four or five inches has been dyed,

Clean hair -- my scalp gets very itchy after I henna, so I oil the dickens out of my scalp before I henna. (Qtips dipped in olive oil and draw lines on my scalp every 1/2" or so.) Truthfully, it probably won't make any difference if your hair is clean or dirty.

I've tried all three. They all work just fine.

I do it myself, but my hair is fairly short.--see siggy.

Unless the demarcation line bothers you now, I wouldn't worry about it. My first henna was over a pixie cut that was dyed brunette with ash brown/gray roots. (Lots of gray on my temples) It all blended nicely. What eventually happened is that the henna red replaced the brunette dye on the ends. At that point in time, I couldn't "roots only" the henna, my hair was just too short! The ends are brighter red than the rest of it, but I don't think anyone notices but me.

Henna is rock-solid PERMANENT. The chemistry is very different from chemical dyes. It will not fade like chemical dyes, and it's impossible to remove. You can't bleach it or highlight it--you'll end up with orange hair, stripping your natural color and leaving the henna. If you decide to change it, you can dye over it a darker color, but it will still flare red in the sunshine. If you ever want to get rid of it completely, you'll have to grow it out and cut it off. Those of use that love henna, love that it so permanent. We don't have to worry about our color fading, and it makes our hair super-shiny!

Nix
December 6th, 2012, 08:16 AM
The state of my hair is a mess. The hair on the scalp tends to be oily, and the length past my ears is basically bushy/poofy. I also recently moved to a location with high humidity, so that doesn't help. What does it need? x__x

MrsGuther
December 6th, 2012, 02:21 PM

thanks!
I measure BSL by the hair reaching the bottom of the bra strap.

Nae
December 6th, 2012, 02:44 PM

without chemical dye.

I will field this one!

I usually wash my hair and then apply henna while it is still wet/damp. I find that the wetness helps it to spread a little better.

I only use water, usually warm water because I am impatient. Warmer water gives quicker dye release. I boil some water and then let it sit for about 15 minutes or so, so that it is still quite warm to the touch. If I do this at 8am it is usually ready to go on by 11am. I have tried lemon juice and it seemed really drying and I found water works just as well. I haven't tried tea but I suppose it would be fine.

I apply it myself. Sometimes I just section it and do my best sometimes I make loose smallish braids around my head and smoosh it into the roots that way, the braids seem to keep the vast majority of my hair under control, so I am not accidentally smacking myself in the face with a lock of henna hair. (Blech!)

I had a black dye on my hair at one point, I didn't notice a huge difference in color between the virgin and the dyed hair, but I have pretty dark natural hair. (My silvers are RED, RED, RED though. Which I love. The dye might take up slightly differently the first time or two but really with henna, once you get going things seem to even out on their own.

When I first hennaed I was super worried about everything, how do I do this? How do I apply this? I researched forever. After a few times I just "got it" ya know? I mix it together, let the dye release, jump in the shower, shampoo only, jump out, towel dry the hair, throw on a nasty old "henna" t-shirt, throw a dark towel on the floor of the bathroom, then I grab some gloves and start slopping it on willy nilly. I try and get as much coverage as I can but if I miss a spot, I will get it next time. After the first couple times it is really only the roots you have to worry about anyways. After I cover my roots really well I usually have a little henna left over, I squirt some condtioner in it, mix it around with my hand and put it on my length. Then I put to shower caps on my head and then I bum around the house for about 3 hours. (You might go longer the first couple times to ensure good coverage.) Then I rinse it out in the sink, since I have a powerful sprayer there. I always make sure I have a towel and a crap ton of conditioner. The conditioner really helps get it out. You have to rinse a long time but then I am done. If I start early enough in the morning, I am usually all done by 2 pm.

You can see the color of my hair in my siggy. Henna seems pretty forgiving on darker hair colors, I find that it blends nicely, but it is a long, long term commitment, and it is messy and can be time consuming.

ETA: Doh. Browneyedsusan beat me to it!!! Ah well!!

Mingle
December 6th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Just wanted to say... great idea!