PDA

View Full Version : Dry Shampoo vs Baby Powder??

feb26
October 29th, 2012, 02:25 PM
So I dyed my hair a lovely chestnut shade at the salon (2% ammonia so no worries re damage) & have picked up the Aveda Madder Rose Shampoo & Conditioner-its a color depositing shampoo 2...boy is this stuff pricey!!! $38 ea, so I'm limiting shower time & cutting showers down from 3/week to 1/week. i'm spraying with sun protector & have been told dry shampoo or baby powder the rest of the time to keep the oilies down. I have v long hair-28" & am finding the worst of the oil is at roots.

Anyone gone this route before? Any tips? Am trying baby powder first as is soo much cheaper, but it's not as absorbent as I was hoping it might be. If you've tried Dry Shampoo, pls let me know which brand worked for you. Thanks!

gboneske
October 29th, 2012, 02:32 PM
http://www.sephora.com/brown-hair-powder-P280526?skuId=1270388

This is what I use, but I use the blonde color. Its a little on the expensive side, but it works well on darker hair - I am a redhead.

biogirl87
October 29th, 2012, 02:40 PM
feb26, baby powder is indeed not only cheaper but also more natural as you're not putting as many chemicals on your hair (or not putting chemicals on your hair at all). However, if you've dyed your hair dark (and chestnut is one of the darker shades), I suggest that you use cocoa powder with plain old cornstarch. Cornstarch has absorbency equal to or greater than baby powder but dark hair needs more cocoa powder than cornstarch so that white flakes are invisible if you don't brush all of the homemade dry shampoo out. Here's a link

http://www.defrumpme.com/2012/02/diy-dry-shampoo-for-dark-hair.html

that reaffirms the need for cocoa in dry shampoo for dark hair and has a recipe that could be a good starting point for you. Hope I've helped. Feel free to send any questions my way.

Cheele
October 29th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I've never used dry shampoo before, but I have used baby powder. Now I just use corn starch. I believe that's what's in the baby powder that makes it a dry shampoo sorta thing. And yeah, I like it better because it has no scent.

feb26
October 29th, 2012, 03:35 PM
tx for the link, but the issue i'm having isn't that the baby powder shows up but that it only seems to last a couple of hrs before i need to reapply.:confused: i suspect this is b/c i have thick hair...but am sprinkling right on roots, even flipped head upside down & applied that way. how much do i need to keep the oilies at bay?

i would prefer to stay with baby powder or something more natural, am just not nuts about the idea of spraying chemicals in my head.

Tota
October 29th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I used to use both and I loved the effect of the dry shampoo. It made my hair very voluminous and grease-free for 4 more days. I used a cheap drugstore brand dry shampoo and it was ok, I never felt the need to try out the more expensive ones. I think I'll start using it again this winter because I can't wash my hair and airdry it as often as it needs in these cold temperatures.

Baby shampoo didn't work as well but it was still better than nothing. The problem was that I was using baby powder with talc until one of the members here warned me about it. I couldn't find a baby powder without talc in my surrounding drugstores so I just stopped using it.

ETA: Some people with darker hair use cocoa powder instead of corn starch. It is said to work just as well and it makes your hair smell like chocolate. Yummy ;)

Miss Catrina
October 29th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I've never had luck with baby powder. Always made my hair feel coated and grimy, not to mention the risk of ended up with white hair.

I've had no luck with store bought dry shampoo either, though. Cocoa powder is the best option I've found.

jacqueline101
October 29th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I've used the dry shampoo and it didn't damage my bleached hair.

feb26
October 29th, 2012, 09:10 PM
great advice so far, tx & yes--that's Exactly what I'm feeling with the baby powder--like its coating the grease rather than dealing with it. Ortega I know is a good brand but $$$ ($25!), I've bought but not tried L'Oreal. Anyone tried Tresseme or Dove?? Will be going to the store in a week or so & thinking of loading up, doing a trial & error test here.

thankyousir74
October 29th, 2012, 09:15 PM
would body powder work like baby powder? are there any differences? I recently got bangs and am intrigued at the idea of oil absorption without exposure to water...

feb26
October 29th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I think it'd do exactly the same thing...I've got a body powder from Lush & I know one of the main ingredients is cornstarch. if you give it a whirl, let us know the results pls!

maborosi
October 31st, 2012, 09:38 PM
I was wondering if I was the only one who did this. Sometimes, when my hair is greasy, but I don't want to shampoo or don't have time to, I dust my scalp with baby powder and brush it through. It seems to work pretty well.

I do wonder what other ingredients I could add into it to allow my hair to get even more benefits. Anyone have any ideas?

~maborosi~