PDA

View Full Version : Regular Scalp Exfoliating?

HintOfMint
October 29th, 2012, 01:06 PM
My dandruff has come back in full swing and it's really bothering me. On top of all that, I think I also get product buildup on my scalp, no matter how careful I am about not getting products other than shampoo on my scalp.

For the record, CO has been a shedding disaster for me, so that's out. Sulfate-free shampoos seem to make the problem worse.

What has worked, in conjunction with Head and Shoulders, which helps somewhat, is exfoliating my scalp. I'm usually lazy and I'll just use the exfoliating body wash or face exfoliant on my scalp before I shampoo. It cleans my scalp like nothing else and really keeps the flakes and gunk at bay. The problem is, I'm worried about doing this regularly and causing damage to my hair. I really concentrate it only at the scalp but I'm sure the rough bits rub against my hair too.

Has anyone exfoliated their scalp regularly without suffering ill effects to their hair?

melusine963
October 29th, 2012, 01:17 PM
If you're worried about the exfoliant being too harsh, try using sugar mixed with a bit of conditioner instead (or would that cause your shedding all over again?). The advantage with this is that the sugar will dissolve and rinse out easily with warm water.

ladyfey
October 29th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I use brown sugar, and blended dry oatmeal. Mix both with conditioner and use on scalp. I love it and do it about weekly. I haven't noticed any damage. The little bits of oatmeal do cling in my hair until it dries, but I can live with that.

gboneske
October 29th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I have the same problem... I hadn't tried the sugar, but did try apple cider vinegar on the roots hoping to stop the itching and clear up the flaking.

AMD
October 31st, 2012, 04:30 PM
I have fine hair, and get some bad results, even using a sugar scrub. It was great for my scalp, but then I seemed to have a bit of hair missing from the section I exfoliated (as a test). hope that helps

maborosi
October 31st, 2012, 09:23 PM
I like exfoliating my scalp sometimes. I mix brown and regular sugar, oil, honey, and gently rub it into my scalp (and my face, and wherever else!) it might be helpful now that the weather here has gotten more cold and dry, too!

~maborosi~

itdontmatter48
November 14th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I would think you would need to be very gentle, no matter which method you choose. Good luck!

hermosamendoza
November 15th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I agree with the acv rinse. My scalp always gets itchy in the dry time of the year and since I've started using a highly diluted acv rinse my scalp feels so much better and is completely flake free :D

LadyCelestina
November 16th, 2012, 05:04 AM
ACV is great when battling with dandruff,but I'm not sure if I'd call rinsing your hair with it "exfoliation".
I've tried brown sugar scrub in the past and it worked,but now whenever I make it the sugar just melts xD.

How about scritching your scalp with a comb when your hair is dry?Would that irritate your scalp?

LadyCelestina
November 16th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Double post,sorry :face:

jacqueline101
November 17th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I've been having danderuff in my bangs I was going to suggest and try brown sugar and oil mixed use to massage scalp. Someone suggested it to me a year ago.

countryhopper
November 17th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I agree with the others about using straight acv to deal with flakes. I used it on my scalp and made sure to massage in in and leave it on for a couple of minutes before washing it out. I haven't had to deal with flakes since I've done this a couple of times.

Buffy
November 18th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Whenever my scalp gets flacky i use a mixture of sugar and a tiny amount of olive oil(my scalp is kinda oily, but olive oil doesn't affect it in a negative way at all). I make partings and gently scrub it on my scalp. It works wonders! This worked for my boyfriend too!I only need to do this like 3-4 times a year, so i don't think my hair could possibly get damaged.The key is: scrub gently!

Iolanthe13
November 19th, 2012, 02:51 PM
When I see the first signs of dandruff, I add a little coconut oil and tea tree oil to some jojoba oil and leave the mixture on the scalp for at least a few hours. It seems to clear things up pretty quickly. Incidentally, it also works as deodorant.