PDA

View Full Version : Getting creative with hair and the cold weather

shutterpillar
October 29th, 2012, 12:48 PM
This is the first year that I have been actively trying to grow and protect my hair. With Fall in full swing, the weather has definitely gotten colder and windier.

Normally, I would leave my hair down during the winter. It helps keep my ears and neck warm. Well, a few days ago I put my hair up before I left the house (without even thinking about what effect the wind and cold might have on me) and I was positively FREEZING within the hour. I had not thought to wear a scarf or a hat to help protect my neck and ears.

So this year, I need to get creative for the cold weather months. I need to find some sort of hat or scarf that will fit over my ears and neck without giving me ridiculous hat/scarf hair if I were to take it off once I arrive at my destination.

What do you do in the fall/winter to keep your hair protected and keep your head and neck warm at the same time?

(p.s. - if there have been threads like this in the past, please direct me to them! My search results came back without much help, even when using Google. Perhaps I just did not search the right key words, though.)

redlocks
October 29th, 2012, 12:55 PM
This thread looks into a few different ways to protect your locks :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=101141

HintOfMint
October 29th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I totally understand. This will be my third winter up north where it actually snows, and I have yet to master the art of winter hair. I don't just mean covering it up, I mean the full range of different products, oils, washing less... etc. I will be watching this thread with interest.

shutterpillar
October 29th, 2012, 01:05 PM
That is HILARIOUS, redlocks! I even posted on that thread! LOL. And it wasnt too long ago, either.

I clearly had no idea what I was talking about because there is no way I will be able to wear a beanie and keep my hair looking decent if I were to need to take the beanie off.

jacqueline101
October 29th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Do micro trims on delicate layers keep moisturized and wear it up. I'd also baby oil the ends that helps a lot.

allycat
October 29th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Yes, I've been having this problem. My hair has gotten more dry with the cold weather, and in addition wool collars and scarves have been giving me horrible knots on the nape of my neck lately! Clearly I will have to have to wear my hair up more in the winter.