PDA

View Full Version : Forced to Flat Iron

gillybeanxo3921
October 29th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I had a cheerleading competition and they forced me to flat iron my hair. This is probably going to sound very stupid, but as a team, we all have to wear our hair exactly the same way, and I was outvoted on the flat ironing.

First they flat ironed it on 400 degrees, painfully slowly and thoroughly. Then a couple hours later it started to unstraighten, so they did it again. It unstraightened again, but thankfully we didn't have enough time to fix it before we competed. They were all very amused by my unruly curls.

My splits don't seem too bad, but we have another competition next weekend, and I'm hoping I can convince them to do something else with our hair. If I can't, I might have to get a trim -_-

minnieblond
October 29th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Ugh, sorry about that!! I model and I have my hair straightened about 3 times per photoshoot:( I always insist they use heat protectant spray, but nothing totally protects you! Good luck!

gillybeanxo3921
October 29th, 2012, 12:12 PM
That's terrible! Yes, I made them douse my hair in spray and wait for it to totally dry before ironing, but I was cringing the whole time. Thanks for the reply!

Dandelion6
October 29th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Sorry to hear that! Doesn't seem fair. I know my hair definitely could not withstand flat ironing.

laceyfairy
October 29th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Would they let you wear it in a high bun? I think I've seen cheerleaders wear them.

floralgem
October 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I know that feel. My first competition is next week, and I'm going to start straightening after going..what....8 months without doing it. Just keep your hair off the heat for the time you aren't competing and you'll be fine.

HintOfMint
October 29th, 2012, 01:11 PM
That sucks, I'm sorry. When I was in cheerleading, we had to have curly ponytails, so most girls put their hair in curlers for the day or used an iron. I put my hair in a bun and clipped in a curly ponytail extension. I wonder if the reverse can be used for you. My hair was pretty short at the time, so I had to use the ponytail extensions regardless.

jacqueline101
October 29th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Hopefully you won't have to do it again but in case you do I'd get heat protector.

222toogoodforu
October 29th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I had a cheerleading competition and they forced me to flat iron my hair. This is probably going to sound very stupid, but as a team, we all have to wear our hair exactly the same way, and I was outvoted on the flat ironing.

First they flat ironed it on 400 degrees, painfully slowly and thoroughly. Then a couple hours later it started to unstraighten, so they did it again. It unstraightened again, but thankfully we didn't have enough time to fix it before we competed. They were all very amused by my unruly curls.

My splits don't seem too bad, but we have another competition next weekend, and I'm hoping I can convince them to do something else with our hair. If I can't, I might have to get a trim -_-

You should take a trip to any corner beauty supply store you have and buy something called a drawstring ponytail. A cheapo one is only $15 bucks maybe and would save you a hell of a lot of trouble with a flat iron!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MefqvW0HCOw

Here's a video on how a drawstring ponytail works.

CurlyCurves
October 29th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I'd totally refuse.

Carolyn
October 29th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Deep breath. It will be OK. If cheerleading is really important to you, then you have to suck it up and flat iron. Be sure to use a good heat protectant product and in between flat ironings give your hair lots of heavy moisture. Maybe you could ask the team if they could come up with some alternate styles that didn't require so much heat. If your hair is healthy I wouldn't think you'd need more than a small trim when your competitions are over. Try not to worry too much about your hair. Do what you have to do with it and most of all have fun at the competitions. I hope your team kicks butt!

Anywhere
October 29th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Could you wrap it the night before or something to avoid the flat iron? My hair is a bit curlier than yours (2c) and wrapping makes it very straight with only a sliiight body wave to it if I do it right.

gillybeanxo3921
October 29th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Oh yahh, I took this wicked serious. I went to sally's and bought the best heat protectant I could find.

I'll look into the wrapping method, that could definitely help!

Cheerleading is very important to me, so I'm gonna stuck with what we choose, but we did see a team last competition with hair braided up the back into a bun. Like this:

http://citrinesalonnc.com/blog/2012/07/fun-in-the-sun-with-a-braided-bun/

Maybe I can convince my team members to do that one!

Sunny_side_up
October 29th, 2012, 03:20 PM
A girl i know recently "had" to have her fine and thin hair straightened as she was a bridesmaid at a wedding. (Naturally only a slight wave) she doesnt use heat on her hair as she describes it as fragile and potential to get brittle!
There wasnt any heat protection spray put on and to finish it off a coating of hair spray used. Needless to say after this her hair felt icky and frazzled..A couple weeks later her near BSL hair got cut to shoulder! Though i hear this gave her a boost and she enjoys the fresh end feeling. Try and find out if they're willing to have pretty and protective updo's, otherwise depending on hair type and resiliance, its mini trims that could keep it growing out healthily when heat is used.

alexis917
October 29th, 2012, 05:07 PM
When I was a cheerleader, we were all supposed to curl our hair and ponytail it.
My hair is straight enough it can't hold a curl,
and wavy enough it can't be straightened for very long.
Needless to say, my hair uncurled on the bus ride to the competition.
I thought it was terrible, and I cried like I was four years younger (I was nine).
That said...
If cheerleading is your top priority,
let them do what they want to your hair,
and compensate by S&Ding/getting micro-trims.

biogirl87
October 29th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Don't know what I would have done if I was in your shoes. Guessing that you need to decide which is more important to you: cheerleading or having long healthy hair. I know many people say that it's just hair and it'll grow back, but it's not the same when you're a long hair.

gillybeanxo3921
October 31st, 2012, 03:02 PM
Definitely cheerleading takes precedence, considering if I quit the day before competition, the formations would be uneven, some of the stunts wouldn't be able to go up without my help, and I'm one of the only three tumblers.

The team would be a mess without me, or without anyone if they decided to quit. I'd rather give up half an inch or so once this is all over than disappoint and ruin all my team member's chances of winning. That being said, I'm still going to try and convince them on the braid to bun hairstyle; I think it's cute anyways!

We were actually talking about it for last week, but were a bit rushed and all decided on the flat ironed hair because it was "easy". Blah. What's done is done, I'll get over it.

gillybeanxo3921
October 31st, 2012, 03:09 PM
sorry double post

Wiggy Stardust
October 31st, 2012, 03:20 PM
I don't think this will destroy your hair. Just deep condition it a few times. Any damage that shows up will be the very ends, which you may have to dust off.

DoubleCrowned
October 31st, 2012, 03:41 PM
I love the bun. Remind your team that a style which restrains the hair will help the judges because there will be no hair in the face or swinging differently than everyone else's. The team' movements will look more precise. If the style is easier to do on another person, you could sit in a circle and do each other's.