PDA

View Full Version : Hat/wind damage question..

goldenbrunette
August 22nd, 2008, 02:14 AM
Hey all.
My problem is thus; I am out for about 9 hours a day at work and some of that time is spent outside and it seems in windy parts. I would not wear a cap because of the visor part. What kind of hat could I wear that doesn't look too OTT but will protect my hair somewhat? Also what hats do you wear in your leisure time that you feel protect your hair from the wind damage?

Top_Cat
August 22nd, 2008, 02:29 AM
Im always out on my motorbike travelling long distances at high speeds so my hair is attacked by strong winds and harsh weather all the time.
I use lots of leave-in conditioner and braid my hair before going on the bike.
Thi works well for me.

manderly
August 22nd, 2008, 03:40 AM
How about a buff?

http://www.planetbuff.com/?gclid=CIzFws-ToZUCFQRfagodSTNhkg

Lamb
August 22nd, 2008, 05:45 AM
Or a bandana, or shawl. I hate hats, so I use those. You can tie the ends under your chin or behind the nape - very versatile.

goldenbrunette
August 22nd, 2008, 06:20 AM
thankyou for your responses, i will definitely start braiding more top cat it's just that i've always thought plaits never suited me - i feel i have to wear at least half down as im paranoid about my double chin.

what on earth is a buff? lol i am on the link now but can't see any decent pictures..

frizzinator
August 22nd, 2008, 06:39 AM
I would focus on putting my hair up. My photo album shows a number of non-braided ways to make a bun. Then I would wear a hat that fits over the updo.

The buff is probably the best choice. There is also the pony scrub hat http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/nursing-medical/womens-scrub-hats/ but it requires either a low ponytail or a low bun at the nape of the neck.

You can find a number of hats that will fit if you try them on with the bun. Sometimes I have to put the bun on the top of my head for the best fit.

Anje
August 22nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
How long is your hair?

I ask because I don't think hats protect long hair from wind damage, as a general rule. Hair has to be contained for that, perhaps in a bun or braid. I don't even have luck getting the hat to protect the top from getting messy, because I get hat hair.

Buffs and bandanas are probably the best options just for holding hair around the top and sides in place. They actually fit over updos, while I've never managed to get a hat to fit both my head and hair.

Take a look at the videos on "how to wear a buff". It's basically a stretchy microfiber tube. Very comfy. I usually just pull mine over my head and hair, like a really wide headband.

heidi w.
August 22nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
I like bandanas for outdoor windy stuff. I place it so that it covers a bit of my forehead, over the top of the head, and tie behind, or rather under, my bunned hair. This way the top layer shorter bits can't be lifted and twirled in the wind and no pin knots form! Any hairsticks can still stick out the side.

I take the bandana and do not fold in half. I fold it so there's an edge for the forehead but that the corner can reach below my bunned hair and then tie the ends over that tip bit and it stays down nice and tight.

Not necessarily the best look, but very effective.

PLUS bandanas are easy to carry in a coat pocket or in the glove compartment of a car or to stuff in a purse or bakpak.

I do a fair amount of top down car driving. This is my getup!

You can put a visor or baseball cap over that.

Don't forget sunscreen.

I have even been known on the top down driving to place another bandana over my nose and tie behind so most of my face is covered and doesn't get wind burn. That dries and chafs the skin. OUCH! You should see me. My beau hates the look. I hate how my hair and skin feel if I don't. I win. <jes kiddin>

heidi w.

goldenbrunette
August 22nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
lol.
i am afraid my workmates would rip into me for wearing a bandana or headscarf, they take the mick out of my hairstyles as it is!