PDA

View Full Version : gave 'cones another shot...very bad results (long)

Velouria
August 21st, 2008, 10:57 PM
Firstly, I've been cone-free since long before I joined LHC. I tried them way back in the early 90's, before they were in everything, when they were only in anti-frizz and shine "serums" that were (probably still are) nothing put pure cones w/ added fragrance. Disastrous results, and this was apparent as soon as the "serum" on my hair was no longer wet to the touch. Crisp yet gummy feel, *more* frizz, *less* shine, and wretched tangling. So, after a few more debacles w/ other "serums", I noticed the common ingredients in the offending products, did some research, and began avoiding all silicone derivatives like the plague.

I've been reading things for awhile about 'cones, or at least some particular ones for some particular people, not necessarily being a bad thing, especially for those with damaged hair.

I've also read about the newer water-soluble cones that don't require sulfates to remove, and the amine-stabilized cones that aren't water-soluble, but don't build up anyway. I should have realized, from my past experience, that water-solubility and lack of buildup were irrelevant to me, because the ugliness of cones had been nearly instantaneous, rather than showing up later.

I've been struggling with the dye-damaged portion of my hair (more than 1/2 of it), so in desperation decided to try a spray leave-in conditioner that contained 3 cones in its top 4 ingredients: two water-soluble and one amine-stabilized. I sprayed it on the lower half of my hair about 5 hrs. ago. As before, it looked nice and shiny-smoother....for about 5 minutes. Then, the same awful results as described in my 1st paragraph. Maybe even worse, probably because my long-ago experiences were on virgin hair.

I've never heard of doing a strand-test before using a product marketed as "repairing" and "moisturizing", but I really wish it had occurred to me to do one! I'm actually concerned that this will cause more damage, which my hair really could not take. I was going to bed, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should wash it out now, rather than tomorrow. Any suggestions?:confused:

TIA:flowers:

chrissy-b
August 21st, 2008, 11:33 PM
I would wash it out before you go to bed. Not necessarily because I think it's going to cause irreversible damage (though that's a possibility, I just don't know for sure), but because it might stress you out too much to sleep.

I'm sorry this has happened but at least you learned two things: always do a strand test, and cones just don't agree with your hair.

Curlsgirl
August 22nd, 2008, 08:56 AM
It shouldn't cause irreparable damage, at least I don't see how. I would just do a good clarifying and a moisture treatment. That should take care of it. My hair has always hated those serums too and it reacted the exact same way you said. The only one I ever liked was Kerastase oleo relax and it is way the heck expensive!

Now I only use cones occasionally and the only one I really like is Dove intensive conditioner. For some reason my hair reacts to it better than any others. I don't "feel" it on my hair, just makes it easier to detangle and smoother, not coated for some reason.

sipnsun
August 22nd, 2008, 01:09 PM
I can't see how leaving it in your hair until you wash tomorrow can hurt, but if it's bothering you, I would wash it out tonight. I personally can't stand the way cones make my hair feel on a daily basis, and I would hate to go to bed stewing over it.

Velouria
August 22nd, 2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the replies...my hair was bunned while I was posting, and when I took it down to wash it felt a bit better, and I was very tired, so I decided to go to sleep without washing.

I washed in the morning with a sodium myreth sulfate shampoo, conditioned for a half hour, and did a post-wash oiling with EVOO. Hair seems back to normal. Relieved, and lesson learnt.

lora410
August 22nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Same thing happens to my hair with cones. My ends really tangle up and get crispy. I just learned to stay away from all cones no matter what.

spidermom
August 22nd, 2008, 02:31 PM
I wonder if you use too much. I measure my cone-serum use in drops - only 2 on my current length. It gives great slip.

I don't use cones all the time, though. Most of my products are cone free.