PDA

View Full Version : uh oh--white hair question

flowers-n-waves
August 21st, 2008, 08:15 PM
i was playing with my hair today, looking for new growth and such and GASP!! i saw soemthing sparkly. Odd because I have almost 0 blonde hairs as my hair is brown so it was my quest to search for this sparkly strand of hair. That's right...ONE strand. So i find it and pluck it out and it was this new growth hair, about 5 inches long, brown but at the root it was about 2 inches WHITE!!!! what the heck??

Too early for white hairs. WHen i plucked it it came out effortlessly. It knew it wasn't supposed to be there!!

Is this how white hair appears?? or maybe i need more hair vitamins??

tell me something good :D

Delila
August 21st, 2008, 08:45 PM
If you see more, don't pluck them. I've had hairs that are gray at the tip and dark at the root.

FWIW, I didn't spot my first gray until I was thirty, but I'm reasonably certain they'd been there a while once I realized they were there.

darkwaves
August 21st, 2008, 08:52 PM
When you get white or gray hairs is based on your genes.

Age 25 is not too young -- you could have started getting them in your teens, if that's what runs in your family. Or, in your 50s. It's all based on your mom's and dad's histories with this.

My experience with white hairs is that they can come in various ways. Some hairs are white from the start, and some start becoming white part way through the growth cycle.

You want something good? You only have one! Why worry!

AJoifulNoise
August 22nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
I'm 22 and I have at least 5 or 6 white hairs. There's no set time for it to happen. Only your genes know when.

Arctic
August 22nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
I haven't seen a single one yet, but I use henna. I'm 31. My sister got hers really early (20+).
Don't plug the whites if you see more, if your hair is fine, whites might give some extra body because they usually are coarser :)

Xi
August 22nd, 2008, 08:23 AM
Here is something good: sparkly white hairs are pretty! I have two, and wouldn't pluck them for the world.:)

Hey You
August 22nd, 2008, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I - or rather a friend sitting behind me - found my first when I was 22. I found a little streak (if you can call it that, about ten or so growing from roughly the same place but not all together) when I was 23. And they were all long hairs, so they must have started growing in my teens! I was horrified at the time and I still don't like them, but the good news is that it doesn't necessarily spread that quickly. I'm 29 now and I don't think things have got much worse. And of course there are various ways of colouring them.

heidi w.
August 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
Good News: it's ok. Do not pluck out.

We all have varying degrees of hair hues in our hair. Having a random few hairs that show up white, or even gray at the age of 25 is not at all unusual.

Many have a set of hairs that's different in texture from the rest. I have one wiley hair that grows near the front of my head. Many straights have some wave, say, in the back of the neck under the majority of hair. Some curlies have a section of straight hair.

This is not at all uncommon.

Do not fret. Do not pluck.

heidi w.

Tapioca
August 22nd, 2008, 10:48 AM
I think I found my first white in my teens. I henna now, so I don't see any more, although I did see one on my five-year-old daughter! Right on top, and I left it there.

sipnsun
August 22nd, 2008, 12:49 PM
I've got lots of white hairs on my head but I don't know when they appeared because I bleached my hair until last year. I wouldn't stress over it though, maybe it will give you a nice highlighted look! If it gets to be too many, you could always look into natural ways to cover it.

mellie
August 22nd, 2008, 03:22 PM
Yes, 25 isn't too young for grays! :-)

driven fool
August 22nd, 2008, 05:04 PM
I first started noticing gray hair when I was 22. At first there was just a few on the side, then I started noticing more in the front and even more on the side. How many I see mostly depends on the light. I used to get stressed about it but as a guy I'm just glad that I still have my hair. There are more than a few of my friends my age and a little older that are already bald or going bald on top.

Ndnlady
August 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
I got my first white hair at 25!:) I didn't start appreciating them though until recently. Now I am letting all of the henna grow out of my hair and I have whites growing all through my roots that have grown out.:)

TheSpottedCow
August 22nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
My DBF who has long hair (past APL) has a white hair on his head. His hair is medium/dark brown.

He made me pluck it the first time cause he can't find it on the back of his head. It's growing back now, and I wont help him pluck it anymore. He gets really irritated about it, because it's too short for him to pull forward and find.

It just happens, it's normal. People get white hairs at all different ages. I know someone who was 50/50 grey in HS, and I know a few older people who don't have a white hair on their head. Don't pluck it... Honestly, nobody will probably notice it. I only notice my BF's because we sit so close together sometimes.

rhodochrosite
August 22nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
My brother started getting bunches of grays in high school.

I have a few white hairs which have shown up in the past couple of years.

It's different from person to person, but personally I like to think I have earned my whites and they are staying. :)

longhairedfairy
August 23rd, 2008, 02:18 AM
White hairs are pretty!
My favorite cousin has had gray hairs since she was in high school, although I never even noticed until the past year.

truepeacenik
August 23rd, 2008, 10:43 AM
I found my first silver (fishing line clear, actually) hair in my late teens.
I noticed candy striped ones through my 20s and 30s.
I'm 40 next month. and I have less than 50 all white hairs. this with a spouse, kid, two jobs and lots of additional stress.
don't worry. we EARN these.

FrannyG
August 23rd, 2008, 10:52 AM
I had lots of silvers at 25! I was predominantly white at the front and on top by 30. It's not too early. Don't freak out about it. :)

longhairedfairy
August 23rd, 2008, 01:20 PM
"don't worry. we EARN these"
-truepeacenik

Yeah! What you said!

pariate
August 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Y'all are lucky - I found my first when I was 20!

Barca
August 23rd, 2008, 05:51 PM
embrace them! my grandmother started going gray at 17 and i've had a few white hairs since i was about 19. it's really determined by genes

driven fool
August 23rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
You can always take comfort in these verses as well

Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life.
Proverbs 16:31

I say this tongue in cheek but I think there is some truth to that proverb.

EdG
August 23rd, 2008, 09:50 PM
I started graying when I was a teenager. The number of gray strands stayed fairly small up until my mid-30s.

Don't worry about grays. They just happen. :)
Ed