PDA

View Full Version : suddenly - wiry hair!

yurikome
October 24th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to the origins of my wiry hairs. They started appearing around a month ago - single squiggly (generally my hair is just slightly wavy), coarse hairs. They also seem to be flat (?), as if their cross section wouldn't be a circle, but a rectangle... so less spaghetti, more tagliatelle.

I've been mostly water washing the past two years, sometimes doing a soda/vinegar combo (very rarely), and using coconut oil on the tips (sometimes to massage the scalp). I scrinch and preen daily (although not the past week). Whatever could be the matter? Am I "over nourishing" my hair with the coconut oil? That's the only thing I can think of... Could it be caused by something from outside my hair care routine? The only other difference in my lifestyle is eating a bit more meat, I suppose (that's still around three servings last month, compared to 0-1 serving).

Or is this nothing to worry about?

HereIGrowAgain
October 24th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I had that happen to me recently. I don't know what caused it, but it was only a few hairs. As they grew longer they seemed to calm down... either that or they are now lost in the length. It was very strange... they looked like the profile of stairs!!!

jacqueline101
October 24th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Maybe they're new hairs that haven't grown out very long and they're wiry so they will be strong enough to grow.

starry
October 25th, 2012, 02:20 AM
Yeah I got one of these- but it was a grey so that could explain it- some of them can be wiry.

yurikome
October 25th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Hm, thanks everyone. I guess I'll let them be. Maybe they are indeed stronger than new growth was before, good sign :)

SimplyViki
October 29th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I get those, too. I think that possibly it's mostly a case of noticing them now, when you might not have noticed them before. Joining a long hair community makes one pay closer attention to these things. :p

HintOfMint
October 29th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I get those all the time, more so recently than my younger years. I'm 25 and they've definitely increased in number since I noticed my first one in high school. I chalk it up to hair/body weirdness.

verylittlecarro
October 29th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I sometimes find that a hair or two goes coarse like this and I assume it is a precursor to it turning white, as some of my white hairs have this texture. I also think my hairs go darker for a while before they switch off their colour completely. Just a theory!

alexis917
October 29th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I sometimes find a coarse hair,
not really coarse...
Like most of my hair has a slight wave,
and I'll have one curly hair.
I just attribute it to a frizz issue, it doesn't bother me much.

Gonzo
November 16th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I have medium thickness, medium brown hair naturally, but noticed as I got older (around 30 or so) I started getting very coarse, thick, black hairs that can be either corkscrew curly or totally straight. I mean thick like almost horse tail thickness. The amount comes and goes and doesn't seem to depend on what my hair care regimen is. I don't think it's anything to worry about, just may be a sign of getting older (sorry) or general hair changes.