PDA

View Full Version : Wavy hair w/ curled ends

sherigayle
August 21st, 2008, 12:04 PM
I have wavy hair that just seems to hang. I've seen other people with wavy hair that have beautiful curls at the ends. I only air dry and it never curls on its own. Can I get my hair to do this on its own?

nicolezoie
August 21st, 2008, 12:31 PM
2a's typically need to gain more length for the full wave pattern to form. Also, keep in mind that wavy hair loves moisture. :)

Xandergrammy
August 21st, 2008, 01:19 PM
Do you comb your hair after washing? I try to always detangle in the shower and then leave my hair alone until it's dry. I usually end up with curly ends when I do that. Other times I have to help the curl along by making a ponytail or braid and then curling the end (I just roll up the end as if on a roller and bobby pin it. I mist it a little bit and by the time it's dry, there's a pretty curl there.) I hope this helps.

Also, what nicolezoie said applied to me. I didn't get curly ends until my hair was about waist length, I think.

Tapioca
August 21st, 2008, 02:52 PM
If I want my ends curly, I have to set them on curlers and let them dry like that.

Saranne772
August 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM
My ends are only just starting to show curls properly all the time (i.e. after combing). See siggy for example. Im hoping they will get more developed as i grow

ETA- sig pic doesnt show them, I thought it did. Igore that part!

sherigayle
August 21st, 2008, 04:19 PM
Thank you all. I'm going to make sure I get more moisture especially on the ends. I know the ends need it. Hopefully with that and patience I'll eventually see some curls forming.

Arctic
August 21st, 2008, 04:23 PM
This is a neat way to get beautiful hair with curls at the ends: Pony curls (http://www.network54.com/Forum/242462/thread/1083597404/Pony+Curls+-+Instructions). Many of the pictures are missing but the instructions are understandable :)

spidermom
August 21st, 2008, 04:26 PM
Twirling my hair around my fingers as it dries encourages the curl. Of course I don't usually have time to do this. Sometimes buns can make that beautiful curl at the ends, too. Other times I get a scrunched up looking mess from buns.

sherigayle
August 21st, 2008, 04:28 PM
Oh that sounds so easy! Those curls look so pretty.

Delila
August 21st, 2008, 04:53 PM
I agree that for some people, more length is necessary before waves/curls develop.

My wave pattern is a LOT more evident now that my hair is so much longer.

When my hair was at your current listed length of 25", I can't say I had length enough for the curls/waves to show very much.

Katze
August 22nd, 2008, 01:03 AM
I agree on the length thing. As my hair gets longer (and the ends thicker because I am constantly trimming) my ends are developing more and more lazy spiral curls.

As Spidermom mentioned, twirling or "skipping" the ends (as you would skip a skipping rope) helps. I also use hair gel sometimes (mixed with Goth Rosary leave-in) if I wake up with nice waves and want to keep them. ;)

Bendy foam curlers work well, too, if you can stand to sleep on them.

Samikha
August 22nd, 2008, 09:17 PM
Braiding (when dry) encourages the curls at the ends for me more than anything else; the top half of my hair won't get too many braid waves, but the lower waves seem to adopt the curls more easily.

This requires that you braid far down and don't leave much of a tassel, though, but it does work!

winter_star
August 23rd, 2008, 05:06 AM
I also agree. The longer my hair gets, the more waves and curls appears at the ends of my hair. I tend to find if I wear my hair in a bun for a few hours (most often whilst in the shower and as it dries a bit) and then take it out, I have some nice, loose spiral curls.

Just_Isabel
August 23rd, 2008, 05:54 AM
Have you tried to scrunch your hair? Right after you get out of the shower, scrunch your head for a minute or so (usually leave in helps), then leave it alone as it dries. :)

sherigayle
August 28th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for your help. I've been using Sweet Almond Oil and the waves have started to show more. My hair is loving the moisture.:D

Haith
August 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM
My hair curls on the end, especially the longer it gets. Now that I've hit waist, my hair doesn't look to be gaining any more length (even though it is) because it's curling all the more. I find that my hair needs quite a bit of moisture, and it also likes to be left alone while air drying. Sometimes, when I really want to encourage the curl, I'll cinnabun loosely it when its almost completely dry for about a half hour, then take it down. Misting also help me keep my hair from becoming frizzy on those dry days.

rubyann
August 28th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I usually flip my head over, so my hair's hanging down and use my towel to scrunch the ends towards my head. Flip back upright and shake my head and then leave it to dry untouched. That's the way I get the most consistent waves/curls.

Tangles
August 28th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Twirling my hair around my fingers as it dries encourages the curl. Of course I don't usually have time to do this. Sometimes buns can make that beautiful curl at the ends, too. Other times I get a scrunched up looking mess from buns.

Yeah, damp bunning is SO unreliable--half the time it gives me princess curls and the other half it makes me look like a grungy alleycat.

spidermom
August 28th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I agree with other posters that more length might help. At your length, I barely had waves.

Euphony
August 28th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Yep I agree too, more length will definitely help. At shoulder length I get bendies going on, a mass of WTF is it doing!?! At apl I get some big spirals, at bsl the spirals are working their way out, at waist the ends started flipping a bit. Now at near tail bone the ends are flipping and spiraling loosely. BTW I'm a lazy, lazy hair taker - I'm a wash and go, or comb and bun kinda gal.