PDA

View Full Version : Interview hair

ole gray mare
March 17th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I have a job interview on Friday. I will be wearing a red sweater (fairly simple though it has red buttons up the front), nice tailored brown plaid slacks, brown boots, and a black wool coat (at least at first.)

I wear my hair up nearly every day and I plan to for the interview, but I'd like to do something a little different than my usual twist and clip with a ficcare. My hair is between BSL and waist, 1b-c/f-m/ii. Fairly slippery, too, and a longish halo that doesn't stay well-tucked.

I watched the movie Stardust over the weekend and was inspired by Claire Danes' twisted low 'do that she wore on the pirate ship. Not sure how to do it, but I think it would look nice with my outfit.

Any other ideas? And does anyone know the Stardust 'do I'm talking about? Something pretty simple and elegant, not fancy, not too austere.

ole gray mare
March 17th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I'm a dork and can't figure out how to edit the above post. But I wanted to add two things:

I wear black rimmed glasses and will wear small hoop earrings with the outfit, if that helps figure out the hair style.

FrannyG
March 17th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Hi OGM! :waving: I don't know the exact style that you're looking for, but I do know of a pretty nape knot.

You put your hair in a low ponytail. Then take the ponytail and twist it . Keep twisting until it buckles and then twist it some more. Take the ends and tuck them into the back of your ponytail elastic. It looks very elegant and understated as is, or you can move the whole knot up a little and fasten it with a clip or hairstick. Give it a try if you like and let me know.

Good luck on the interview! :flowers:

Islandgrrl
March 17th, 2008, 04:02 PM
If you're going for conservative/elegant, what about a French Twist secured with a couple of nice hairsticks?

doodlesmart
March 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM
What about Kimberlily's (I think it was hers) embellished rose bun? It's always very pretty.

ole gray mare
March 17th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Good suggestions, everyone! Thank you! I'm hoping to find a little time this week to play with options. I'll check out Kimberlily's photos too. I think that is basically a rope braid bun, if I'm not mistaken. And FrannyG, I think your suggestion sounds pretty, and easy too! Me likey easy!!!

doodlesmart
March 17th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Yes I think is a rope braid bun, but she added two accent rope braids, one from each temple and wound about the bun.

levelek
March 17th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Good luck with the interview! :flowers:

And: I have also just watched Stardust over the weekend! I thought it wouldn't turn out terribly good after the first few minutes, and ended up loving it!

I wore my hair in a side part and a simple, elegant nape bun secured with invisible U-shape pins for an interview last November, though that might fail your austerity criterion.

vindo
March 17th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I prefer a neat little bun maybe combined with rolls on the side since it does not look too strict and decreases the bun size a little so noone can imagine how long my hair might be.

First I twist the left and right side of my hair back, I use as much hair as possible so the left over pony turns out smaller than made right at my scalp. I secure it with 2 clap clips and then neatly coil a tight bun over it.

Once I feel secure at a job I wear my updos more freely...even though I never really wear it down. But since your length is not considered "freaky" yet I think you can wear your hair however you want once you have estalished yourself a little :)

ole gray mare
March 17th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Good luck with the interview! :flowers:

And: I have also just watched Stardust over the weekend! I thought it wouldn't turn out terribly good after the first few minutes, and ended up loving it!

I wore my hair in a side part and a simple, elegant nape bun secured with invisible U-shape pins for an interview last November, though that might fail your austerity criterion.

1) Yeah, Stardust was better than I expected! and,
2) I guess what matters most is...did you get the job?

jojo
March 17th, 2008, 06:46 PM
how did it go?

KateMcC
March 17th, 2008, 08:05 PM
My hair is between BSL and waist, 1b-c/f-m/ii. Fairly slippery, too, and a longish halo that doesn't stay well-tucked.

Something pretty simple and elegant, not fancy, not too austere.

I do a variety of Updo's for work, but the longish halo you mentioned (sometimes looking more like horns) is my biggest point of frustration. It is primarily the curly greys that are popping out of my straight to wavy brunette/auburn hair. I have tried frizz-be-gone, aloe vera jel, hair bands, and spritzing with EVOO/conditioner mixes. If I slick it back with a lot of gel, I look like Olive Oil and that is not the look I want. On my head, this halo problem seems more "unprofessional" than how I actually put it up.

Any suggestions?

Wanita
March 17th, 2008, 08:33 PM
My advice is a hairdo that is simple and secure. You don't want to be distracted by a 'do that feels unstable. If you have a 'failsafe' updo that looks professional, I'd say go with that.

I always wore the good ol' standby of a flipped bun with hairsticks, because I knew what I looked like in it, and knew it would hold well.

Wanita
March 17th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I do a variety of Updo's for work, but the longish halo you mentioned (sometimes looking more like horns) is my biggest point of frustration. It is primarily the curly greys that are popping out of my straight to wavy brunette/auburn hair. I have tried frizz-be-gone, aloe vera jel, hair bands, and spritzing with EVOO/conditioner mixes. If I slick it back with a lot of gel, I look like Olive Oil and that is not the look I want. On my head, this halo problem seems more "unprofessional" than how I actually put it up.

Any suggestions?

I have days like that! I rely mostly on hairspray, spritzed at a distance, and then lightly patting down the offending halo pieces. They get 'glued down' without being flat to your head. But it is always the silver ones that want to stand up and be counted!

levelek
March 20th, 2008, 04:08 AM
2) I guess what matters most is...did you get the job?

Oops, missed this! I still haven't heard back, would you believe it. I know that doesn't mean a rejection because it's a slow-moving international organisation, and they did tell me they would announce the results in March. I'm not too hopeful because the interview bombed, so my only chance is if everyone else did as badly with the stupid questions they were asking.
However, I do know that if I failed it wasn't because of the hair! :)

How did your interview go?