PDA

View Full Version : Non Damaging Updo?

Manny1826
October 24th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for putting hair up that wouldn't put strain on the front of your head? I've noticed over the years that the hair on the top sides of my head is thinning/receding, probably from putting up buns, etc... ?

kaydana
October 24th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure if I'll explain this very well, but here goes.

Try parting your hair from ear to ear (kind of like along where a headband sits, but further forward just infront of your ears). Put the hair behind the part up as you normally would, then arrange the front part so it sweeps to the side(s) and then wraps around the bun. You can braid or twist those bits, or just arrange and wrap them as they are. Just keep it loose with the front section and change it if it feels like it's pulling.

gthlvrmx
October 24th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure if I'll explain this very well, but here goes.

Try parting your hair from ear to ear (kind of like along where a headband sits, but further forward just infront of your ears). Put the hair behind the part up as you normally would, then arrange the front part so it sweeps to the side(s) and then wraps around the bun. You can braid or twist those bits, or just arrange and wrap them as they are. Just keep it loose with the front section and change it if it feels like it's pulling.

ok i have no idea what this meant...not being mean or anything, maybe its because im having issues right now with focus but i could not follow along and imagine it in my mind. could you clarify this or maybe someone else that understood it, i didnt understand :(

for the OP, maybe try buns on top of the head?
section your hair as well before bunning could help, braided buns help me with that. ive noticed cinnmon buns give me the most pain because it just sags and pulls on the hair so i dont do it as often. a knot bun and pencil bun hold the best, especially if they are braided for me. they dont pull on my scalp much

Manny1826
October 24th, 2012, 03:07 PM
thanks to both of you! i think i understand what kayDana was saying... she's saying that if you part your hair horizontally (ignoring hte vertical part most people have)... so section the hair so that you put the hair on the LOWER half of you hair in a bun.. then you have the more delicate front and side hair in the top half... which you then gently wrap around the bun ... did i get that right, kaydana?

HereIGrowAgain
October 24th, 2012, 03:07 PM
ok i have no idea what this meant...not being mean or anything, maybe its because im having issues right now with focus but i could not follow along and imagine it in my mind. could you clarify this or maybe someone else that understood it, i didnt understand :(

She was saying to make a part in your hair parallel to your forehead, about 1-2 inches back from your forehead, from one side of your head to the other. Now you will have two sections of hair... one in the front, and one in the back. Put the back section up in a bun, or braid it, or whatever. Take the front section and style it so that there isn't any tension on the hair, basically style them like bangs (or fringe, depending on where you are from).

Like so:
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWjs4MmybubOOp2kblwMm8W7De6GgJC LqefujD-Txt9_v58bk16A

jacqueline101
October 24th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Have you tried to wear two buns maybe like pig tails but buns have a center part.

kaydana
October 24th, 2012, 03:39 PM
thanks to both of you! i think i understand what kayDana was saying... she's saying that if you part your hair horizontally (ignoring hte vertical part most people have)... so section the hair so that you put the hair on the LOWER half of you hair in a bun.. then you have the more delicate front and side hair in the top half... which you then gently wrap around the bun ... did i get that right, kaydana?

Yes, that's basically what I meant. If you can keep the front separate while you put your hair up, you can then style and secure the front section more gently which will reduce the tension on that part of your hair.

torrilin
October 24th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for putting hair up that wouldn't put strain on the front of your head? I've noticed over the years that the hair on the top sides of my head is thinning/receding, probably from putting up buns, etc... ?

If this is happening (and it does! it's a very common problem for people with fine hair!), it's generally due to your hairstyle being too tight. The medical term is traction alopecia.

The advice I got as a kid was to vary my hairstyle. Don't do the exact same style in the exact same place on your head every day. For my hair, switching among a cinnamon bun, a ponytail and a braid was enough variation. A ponytail is not usually considered a great protective hairstyle, and it can cause a lot of breakage, but I haven't had problems. It really doesn't matter whether the stuff you're switching among is perfect... it matters a lot more that you're doing different things.

As I've learned to do a wider variety of updos, I don't need to put as much tension on my hair to get it to stay up. Practice helps a lot!